Monotype Pawwz's Tailwind Bulky Offense

Hey, I'm Pawwz. Just recently I started using the forums as a way to get into Smogon Tournaments and such. I figured I'd take the time to upload one of the teams I've been having some fun with over the past few days, as an RMT. The team I'm presenting is a Tailwind Bulky Offense Flying team. I've had some success with it, and it's really fun. My main goal in this RMT, is not only to share the team, but to get suggestions/opinions for the team. So please, tell me what you think!

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Starting off the team with Aerodactyl. Aero's role in the team is simple: get Stealth Rock up to allow the team's wallbreakers to net more kills, prevent entry hazards and opposing status moves from going up with a fast Taunt, and, in the end, setting up a Tailwind. Tailwind allows Pokemon like Dragonite, Celesteela and Charizard-Mega-Y to outspeed a number of threats to most Flying teams such as Tapu Koko, Mega-Diancie and Greninja, thus easing most matchups versus offensive teams. A Focus Sash is used to let Aerodactyl survive every sort of hit with 1 HP, allowing it to do its lead job safely, and Stone edge is a semi-reliable hard hitting STAB move.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind

Up next is Charizard-Mega-Y, the main wallbreaker. Usually paired with Tailwind, Modest Charizard-Mega-Y in the Sun, can break down most of the tier with Fire Blast + Solar Beam + Focus Blast. Fire Blast is Charizard's main STAB move, and the move it's most likely going to click most of the time. Solar Beam is Charizard's Grass coverage. Solar Beam is used to net Water, Ground and Rock types. Focus Blast is mainly there for Pokemon who can eat Fire Blasts and Solar Beams, such as Cradily, Heatran, Tyranitar and Chansey. Since Charizard forces switches a lot of the time, Tailwind is there to click to take advantage of that. Clicking Tailwind not only allows Charizard to gain back the speed that it would've had if it was Jolly, and then some, but it also allows it to outspeed major threats to Flying teams stated above in Aero's description.

Celesteela @ Metronome

Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon
- Giga Drain
- Air Slash

Following Charizard-Mega-Y, is Celesteela. Automize Celesteela is the team's late game cleanup sweeper. Automize doubles Celesteela's speed, letting it outspeed the likes of all Rock Pokemon, all Ice Pokemon barring Sandlash - Alola in Hail, and has the potential to handle most of Flying's weaknesses. Flash Cannon is Celesteela's main STAB move for cleaning up Ice and Rock types. Paired with Giga drain, Celesteela can clean up Water late game as well. Air Slash is there to deal with Grass and Bug types better, if Charizard somehow went down. Celesteela's item, Metronome, lets Flash Cannon, Giga Drain and Air Slash deal more damage each time you click it more than once in a row.

Mantine @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

Mantine's role is straight forward: Hazard Removal and preventing opposing Sweepers such as Azumarill. Scald is Mantine's STAB attack, allowing it to potentially burn opposing Physical attackers. Defog is for getting rid of Rocks, allowing the rest of the team to have as much HP as possible and not get crippled by hazards. Roost is there so Mantine can effectively do it's job healthy. With 164 SpD and 258 HP, Mantine has the most possible Special Defensive investment possible and serves as the team's Special Defensive wall. 96+ Speed with Haze allows Mantine to outspeed Jolly Azumarill and click Haze, getting rid of all Azu's attack boosts.

Dragonite @ Choice Band

Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Dragonite's role on this team is a nuke. Banded Adamant Outrage doesn't have a lot of switchins, paired with Fire Punch, Earthquake and Extreme Speed allow Dragonite to comfortably click a move and most of the time net a kill. In Tailwind, this mon can clean up in the Grass, Water, Ground, Rock, Dark and Bug matchups. Earthquake and Fire Punch are there to cripple/kill Steel mons, and Extreme Speed is there for Priority so the team doesn't lose to stuff like Cloyster.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb

Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Roost

Gliscor servers as this team's Defensive wall, and a wallbreaker of sorts. Protect allows Gliscor to scout vs Koko and Thundurus-Therian for HP Ice. Knock Off + Toxic allows Gliscor to cripple Normal's Eviolite core, as well as cripple Zapdos and Rotom Wash. Roost is a reliable Recovery move. 252 HP and 184 Def provides Gliscor with the most Defense investment it can get. 72 Speed is the left over EVs.

Alright, well, that's my first RMT! Please give me your thoughts, and your suggestions. I'll gladly take them into consideration, and try to better the team. I'd to give a shoutout to Mateeus_1 for helping my stupid ass through the RMT process, lmfao. Also, I'd like to thank my mates over at Shade for helping me test this team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7monotype-289635 Vs Electric

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7monotype-289703 Vs Ice

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Ability: Drought
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind

Celesteela @ Metronome
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon
- Giga Drain
- Air Slash

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Roost

Attachments

Last edited:
Sup Pawwz.
I think that fairy seems to be a problem mostly for this team since the fact that you have only one defogger, Mantine, which gets somewhat threatened out by Mega Diancie if it carries Stealth Rock and Diamond Storm.
<| 0 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 434-512 (116 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
With Rocks in the field, Dragonite will mostly lose multiscale, making you even more vulnerable to Jolly Azumarill sweeps. Therefore you should run the proper Mantine investment to speed creep it, even tho I kinda disagree with this as it seems like even more situational tan having to speed creep other mons regularly.
tl;dr You can run 174 Speed EVs on Mantine to speed creep jolly azu, while losing some bulk. This is only if you find yourself losing to jolly Azu repeatedly, otherwise you can run the standard 96 speed creeping evs for Adamant.

Aside from the situational disadvantage versus jolly Azumarill, the team seems pretty solid.

Sup Pawwz.
I think that fairy seems to be a problem mostly for this team since the fact that you have only one defogger, Mantine, which gets somewhat threatened out by Mega Diancie if it carries Stealth Rock and Diamond Storm.
<| 0 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 434-512 (116 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
With Rocks in the field, Dragonite will mostly lose multiscale, making you even more vulnerable to Jolly Azumarill sweeps. Therefore you should run the proper Mantine investment to speed creep it, even tho I kinda disagree with this as it seems like even more situational tan having to speed creep other mons regularly.
tl;dr You can run 174 Speed EVs on Mantine to speed creep jolly azu, while losing some bulk. This is only if you find yourself losing to jolly Azu repeatedly, otherwise you can run the standard 96 speed creeping evs for Adamant.

Aside from the situational disadvantage versus jolly Azumarill, the team seems pretty solid.
I appreciate the feedback, but the Fairy matchup can be cleaned up in the end via Flash Cannon/Giga Drain Celesteela. Tailwind is gonna be up alot of the time, but not all, meaning Diancie will net a kill or two, but the matchup is possible. My current Mantine spread already outspeed Jolly Azumarill, but I have been recommended new spreads that provide more bulk and do the same thing, which I have changed. Thank you for your input ^-^

My current Mantine spread already outspeed Jolly Azumarill
Doesn't jolly Azu reach 218 speed? Afaik 96 speed Mantine reachs 200, which is for Adamant.
But yeah, as long as you send Steela in before Azu sets up, paired with Tailwind and probably Sun you can beat Azumarill (and fairy) pretty easily.

Doesn't jolly Azu reach 218 speed? Afaik 96 speed Mantine reachs 200, which is for Adamant.
But yeah, as long as you send Steela in before Azu sets up, paired with Tailwind and probably Sun you can beat Azumarill (and fairy) pretty easily.
If you didn't notice before I'm 96 Speed Timid Mantine. Timid hits 220

hey, Pawwz nice RMT and welcome to the forums. I do have suggestions for your team overall however. I first off am a little bit confused on what type / play style of team you have going on. I see that you have named it Tailwind Bulky Offense, but the team members don't exactly scream Bulky Offense. Ill go over this very quick but, you have Aerodactyl as a suicide lead and it is often seen on Hyper Offense teams, defensive Mantine as a passive defensive wall that doesnt pose much of a threat offensively and is seen on balance Flying teams, and defensive utility Gliscor rather than perhaps a Swords Dance set to suit a bulky offense playstyle. I feel as though your team, on paper, lacks synergy, or cohesiveness as team members seen here are not the best fit for a Bulky Offense archetype, or perhaps you are trying to blend multiple archetypes together as this looks like some sort of Tailwind Balance build.

Now to start with some changes, I feel as though a Tailwind Hyper Offense would be more suited so my suggested changes will reflect that.

First off, I do feel like that Gliscor set you have lacks synergy on a Tailwind Offensive team. I have two suggestions to replace this set. The first would be a Defog Gliscor set allowing you to clear hazards off the field if needed, and then utilizing Taunt to handcuff utility Pokemon. Earthquake and Roost are obvious picks once again. The second set I would suggest would be a Swords Dance Gliscor set as it can be a Bulky setup sweeper to threaten teams. Earthquake for Ground-type STAB, Facade which is a 140 base power move thanks to Gliscor holding the Toxic Orb, and Roost for Longevity.

Mantine, although a great emergency Azumarill check is great for Balance teams however I would replace it here to suit a Tailwind Hyper Offensive team. The team lacks a Z-move user and another setup sweeper which is why I would suggest Thundurus-Therian. Thundurus-T sports a great ability in Volt Absorb allowing it to be immune to Electric-type attacks and heal itself which is very useful for Flying teams. Along with that it gets access to Nasty Plot and Agility allowing it to setup and sweep teams. With a potential Tailwind up, Thundurus-Therian is very fearsome as it can outspeed threats it could not before, potentially forcing a switch allowing it to setup. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice alongside Electrium-Z is all the coverage it needs as it can then threaten Ground-types with HP Ice as they are immune to its STAB Thunderbolt.

Some minor changes that I would look into are :

I do feel that keeping Mega Charizard-Y Timid is very beneficial so this team out right does not get 6-0ed by a standard Life Orb Kyurem-Black, as there will be times where Tailwind wont be active. Fire Blast in the Sun hits hard regardless of the +SpA nature so I feel like outspeeding and OHKOing Kyurem-Black (the biggest threat to Flying teams) would be better overall.

Superpower on Dragonite is far more useful than Earthquake, as it very well eases the Steel and Normal matchups. For the Steel matchup Superpower can often be clicked freely without prediction, as it will hit the majority of Steel teams very hard. It also prevents Dragonite from being walled by Air Balloon Heatran for as it would be immune to Earthquake and Fire Punch unless the Balloon is popped. Superpower also aids in the Normal matchup heavily as it can break the break the defensive core without being locked into Outrage. Superpower can OHKO Chansey after Stealth Rock and it can 2HKO Porygon2 if it tries to switch in on you. Outrage takes care of Staraptor as Dragonite also nets the 2HKO on it.

Lastly, another small suggestion would be perhaps placing a standard Choice Scarf Landorus-T over Gliscor as it provides more offensive pressure than Gliscor. But the choice is ultimately yours. I tried not to mess with the Tailwind aspect of your team as I felt you really wanted to utilize it, which is why I did not suggest a Choice Scarf user above.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Def / 124 SpD / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind

Gl with the team!

Last edited:
Reactions: MDB
hey, Pawwz nice RMT and welcome to the forums. I do have suggestions for your team overall however. I first off am a little bit confused on what type / play style of team you have going on. I see that you have named it Tailwind Bulky Offense, but the team members don't exactly scream Bulky Offense. Ill go over this very quick but, you have Aerodactyl as a suicide lead and it is often seen on Hyper Offense teams, defensive Mantine as a passive defensive wall that doesnt pose much of a threat offensively and is seen on balance Flying teams, and defensive utility Gliscor rather than perhaps a Swords Dance set to suit a bulky offense playstyle. I feel as though your team, on paper, lacks synergy, or cohesiveness as team members seen here are not the best fit for a Bulky Offense archetype, or perhaps you are trying to blend multiple archetypes together as this looks like some sort of Tailwind Balance build.

Now to start with some changes, I feel as though a Tailwind Hyper Offense would be more suited so my suggested changes will reflect that.

First off, I do feel like that Gliscor set you have lacks synergy on a Tailwind Offensive team. I have two suggestions to replace this set. The first would be a Defog Gliscor set allowing you to clear hazards off the field if needed, and then utilizing Taunt to handcuff utility Pokemon. Earthquake and Roost are obvious picks once again. The second set I would suggest would be a Swords Dance Gliscor set as it can be a Bulky setup sweeper to threaten teams. Earthquake for Ground-type STAB, Facade which is a 140 base power move thanks to Gliscor holding the Toxic Orb, and Roost for Longevity.

Mantine, although a great emergency Azumarill check is great for Balance teams however I would replace it here to suit a Tailwind Hyper Offensive team. The team lacks a Z-move user and another setup sweeper which is why I would suggest Thundurus-Therian. Thundurus-T sports a great ability in Volt Absorb allowing it to be immune to Electric-type attacks and heal itself which is very useful for Flying teams. Along with that it gets access to Nasty Plot and Agility allowing it to setup and sweep teams. With a potential Tailwind up, Thundurus-Therian is very fearsome as it can outspeed threats it could not before, potentially forcing a switch allowing it to setup. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice alongside Electrium-Z is all the coverage it needs as it can then threaten Ground-types with HP Ice as they are immune to its STAB Thunderbolt.

Some minor changes that I would look into are :

I do feel that keeping Mega Charizard-Y Timid is very beneficial so this team out right does not get 6-0ed by a standard Life Orb Kyurem-Black, as there will be times where Tailwind wont be active. Fire Blast in the Sun hits hard regardless of the +SpA nature so I feel like outspeeding and OHKOing Kyurem-Black (the biggest threat to Flying teams) would be better overall.

Superpower on Dragonite is far more useful than Earthquake, as it very well eases the Steel and Normal matchups. For the Steel matchup Superpower can often be clicked freely without prediction, as it will hit the majority of Steel teams very hard. It also prevents Dragonite from being walled by Air Balloon Heatran for as it would be immune to Earthquake and Fire Punch unless the Balloon is popped. Superpower also aids in the Normal matchup heavily as it can break the break the defensive core without being locked into Outrage. Superpower can OHKO Chansey after Stealth Rock and it can 2HKO Porygon2 if it tries to switch in on you. Outrage takes care of Staraptor as Dragonite also nets the 2HKO on it.

Lastly, another small suggestion would be perhaps placing a standard Choice Scarf Landorus-T over Gliscor as it provides more offensive pressure than Gliscor. But the choice is ultimately yours. I tried not to mess with the Tailwind aspect of your team as I felt you really wanted to utilize it, which is why I did not suggest a Choice Scarf user above.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind

Gl with the team!
Thank you for the pointers! On paper, the team doesn't seem to work alongside each other well, and honestly, through hundreds of games on ladder, it lacks momentum as well. I'll try some of your changes, after all, I did post the RMT to get opinions and recommendations on the team. I think I'm gonna run Grass Knot > Nasty Plot on Thundy, as it takes care of the Water MU that this teams struggles with now that Mantine is gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)