Pax East 2014

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
3 day passes just sold out but luckily I got one. Booked a hotel too.

This year they're having it in Boston.

Also prepping my cosplays for this year's pax convention.

Who all here is going?

Never been before, but every time someone has talked about PAX to me, the overwhelming complaint has been that it fucking reeks and that you won't be able to escape the smell of BO. Can anyone who has been before confirm or deny that it is a den of filth filled with the most greasy and disgusting of neckbeards? I've always thought all cons are supposed to be like that, but interestingly I've rarely heard similar complaints about something like Blizzcon. Are Blizzard fans more socially acceptable people, or is there something in particular about Penny Arcade that appeals to the depressed greaselords who don't shower more than once a week (and apparently never directly before PAX)? Not trying to start a fight or anything here, just genuinely interested in the culture of gaming cons in general and the kind of people who go to them en masse (or at least in large enough groups for it to be constantly complained about by the people I talk to). Anyone got some experience with different gaming conventions?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I've never gone so itll be my first time. I take personal hygiene seriously so I won't be going around smelly af.

Gaming cons aren't the best but they're certainly better than anime cons and the like. Unfortunately I live in a place where we get to choose between gun shows and farm equipment expos, and I have neither the time nor money to travel. I'd like to have a chance to attend PAX (it would help if I could get into a certain college in the boston area but that's for another thread.)

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday, never actually been to a convention of any sort before (unless MLG Dallas counts) so this should be pretty fun.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
interestingly I've rarely heard similar complaints about something like Blizzcon. Are Blizzard fans more socially acceptable people
I can tell you from personal experience from both Blizzcon and PAX Prime that you heard wrong and this is not the case. Maybe true of some Starcraft players but that's the exception and not the rule. Hygiene isn't a big thing anywhere hordes of gamers are involved.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)