SS PU [PEAKED #5] KENGAN ASHURA

1590074026720.png

For the past few weeks, I've been focusing on learning the in's and out's of PU in preparation for the upcoming PUPL and Snake Draft. It's been a good learning experience and I've met a bunch of cool people, in fact everyone I've interacted in the PU community is amazing - if only other communities were as welcoming and supportive.

OVERALL TEAM RECORD across both alts 37-5

Onto the team...

I used stall on a few alts to get a feel of the metagame but after getting crushed by czim and tlenit1 millions of times, I went on their advice and embarked on making my own offensive team. Since DPP OU, the playstyle that best flowed with me was Hyper Offense and I decided to try it again this time. I am still learning so any advice from PU beasts will be appreciated!

1590074179399.png

BLAST CORE (Onix) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Body Press
- Taunt

This Pokemon is pretty darn fast. I know that Stonjuourner outclasses this, however I want an additional volt switch blocker and Sturdy is very useful. I usually lead with this in almost every game, Taunt the slower lead and set up. If I manage to live after getting rocks up, I then boom before they can spin off or just Body Press if they dont bring in their spinner. I use to use Normal Gem initially, however with scald burns happening and ruining my chances of getting rocks up, went for Lum Berry towards the end of my run. This Pokemon is not meant to really last past the initial stages of the game unless you're facing a full on stall team, in which case you can keep taunting and forcing switches and/or boom. Apparently if you explode, the opposing Pokemon cannot defog, never knew that till a few days ago. Eventually will learn all the new gen mechanics zzzz.

---------------

1590074429480.png

NIKO STYLE (Glaceon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Frost Breath
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Such a busted Pokemon. Slower teams really suffer vs Specs Glaceon and stall might have an answer in Lapras/Munchlax however they just invite other threats on this team so yeah. Alot of teams tend to rely on Mr Rime as the sole Ice "resist". Mawile, Pawniard and friends just get bodied by any Ice-type move and as such they just Ideally, I would keep this alive till the later stages especially if they have a Throh/Dubwool/Type-Null at the back which they are stubbornly not bringing out. Standard EVs I guess. Frost Breath saves me and acts as a backup when opposing fat Pokemon try to act cute and Calm Mind up.

-------------------

1590074905235.png

RAKSHASA'S PALM (Hitmontop) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Aerial Ace

An incredibly important part of the team and helps keep it from crumbling. It can take several special attacks and hit pretty hard. I almost always keep this in good shape until i dispose of opposing speedy hard hitting special attackers, namely Manectric and Raichu. It serves as one of the trio of priority users and together they can overwhelm alot of set up sweepers, think Silvally formes. This team is very Scarf Stonjourner weak and despite this being able to take 2 heat crashes, if it gets worn down by special attackers, I have to usually trade other members to get this in safely. I used Thief over AA initially, however Roselia can be a bit of an issue so switched to the latter, is holding on nicely and also helps dish big damage to fighters without lowering my defenses. As said earlier, not sure if the EVs are the most optimal however so if anyone got better spreads please let me know.

--------------------

1590075492886.png

DEVIL'S LANCE (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: Undisclosed
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

A common sighting in the tier for sure. Helps me to some extent with Psychic types in general in addition to deterring defog attempts by Vespiquen later in the game. I don't use much speed as I'd much rather be able to always tank one Heat Crash from Ston as a backup to Hitmontop. When facing stall that lacks Pyumuku, I tend to work towards being able to safely get a Swords Dance up and cause some big damage. A huge amount of HP EVs mean that I can also afford to take a dazzling gleam from the likes of Mr Mime who is usually scarfed. Max Attack is obviously needed.

-------------------------

1590075938822.png

BLINK (Manectric) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

The nickname is accurate. The opponent blinks and in that time, Manectric is in and out. Amazing speed tier and hits pretty hard. My only gripe is that it cannot learn a grass move but meh it is what it is. The plan is to keep this alive (the health doesnt matter as long as you can switch into rocks several times provided it's on the field for good) and deal with lategame Dubwool. Very important as Dubwool outpaces Glaceon and I cannot attack in time. OverHeat allows me to smash Hippo and force them to slack off or switch. I usually bring in Glaceon while they do either and it works in my favour most of the time since if they switch they bring something that can take OverHeat which is usually a non-Ice resist (bar Water-types who are Glaceon food anyways).

-----------------

1590076715501.png

EVOLUTION (Gourgeist) @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
Naughty Nature
- Explosion
- Power Whip
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Sneak

The beast. It just dismantles bulky offense and a timely Explosion can really swings things my way, this tends to be the next Pokemon onto the battleground after Onix booms. I've noticed that Physically defensive Mawile is a very common switch in to this and as such, tried flamethrower which does a ton. You can use Fire Blast instead if you want to be able to knock out the Mawile with power Whip (as it switches into you)+ Fire Blast. This helps with hazard control to some extent, Rocks helps alot of 2 or 3hkos become one or 2hkoes so keeping them is vital. I also prevent defog by exploding on defoggers namely Vespiquen, Vullaby, Vibrava (if it wasnt weakened before to the range of Power Whip) etc. It's good natural Physical bulk allows this to tank a hit from Physically offensive Basc / Seaking / Silvally's. This Pokemon has great naturally speed and thus allows me to outpace +ve base 70s like Ludicolo.

Some calcs:
0 SpA Life Orb Gourgeist Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 216-255 (71 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Life Orb Gourgeist Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 177-208 (58.2 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Gourgeist Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 58-69 (19 - 22.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Gourgeist Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 292-344 (97 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

And...that's the team! thank you for reading. I'm glad I made the decision to quit old gens and start learning current gen lower tiers. It's been a pleasent experience thusfar and I hope to continue to enjoy gen 8 PU. I'm still a novice in this tier and getting no.5 on the leaderboard was something I'm very proud of no matter how easy it might seem for some other beasts.

Shoutout to the entire PU community, in particular, TJ czim, tlenit1 Akir and Ktütverde

[IMPORTABLE]
https://pokepast.es/e9ffa4aaa5400857

Disclaimer - The actual EVs I use for Pawniward are not what is on the paste, I'd like to keep it a secret for now.

Last edited:

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
hey SOMALIA - thanks for the shoutout and congrats on the peak!

I'll do a quick rate since this team is pretty good as it is. One minor change that could improve this team's match up against No Retreat Falinks is running scarf on manectric. Your only form of speed control / way of revenge killing falinks at +1 is relying on shadow sneak/mach punch priority from gourgeist-super and hitmontop. Relying on these mons can be shaky if, say, falinks manages to set up freely on pawniard and remain healthy. I don't think your team benefits too much from running both choice specs glaceon and manectric anyways; running scarf on manectric would give your team more reliable speed control and improve it's match up against non-shed shell variants of nr falinks. I also noticed that your gourgeist set lacked synthesis and a colbur berry. This means that you will lose 1v1 to dubwool (even with life orb flamethrower) since most dubwools run a good amount of spdef investment and because life orb recoil damage will wear you down. If you do end up running scarf over specs on manectric though, I think replacing shadow sneak with synthesis and adding colbur berry over life orb would be appreciated since your team also struggles against mons running dark coverage like leafeon and throh. Lastly, a more optimal av hitmontop spread would be running enough speed for offensive mawile, which i'll post a spread for below:

:choice scarf:

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Switcheroo

:colbur berry:

EVOLUTION (Gourgeist) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
Naughty Nature
- Explosion
- Power Whip
- Flamethrower
- Synthesis

Hitmontop (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Aerial Ace

I am glad that you trying out pu this gen, good luck with getting drafted for pupl/snake and congrats again on the peak and showcase! :psyglad:

Thanks alot man, I've always had to play very carefully vs Scarf Stonjourner and Falinks and as you said if a sequence goes wrong they can be overwhelming, will definitely try out scarf Manectric as it also gives me something to outpace flame charged Vally which is cool.

Will also change the sets for Gourgeist snd Top, dealing with offeneive Mawile will help alot for sure.

Thanks alot once again:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)