Persian-Alola [QC 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
:ss/persian-alola:

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Toxic
move 4: U-turn
item: Leftovers
ability: Fur Coat
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Alolan Persian finds a small niche in the meta thanks to Fur Coat and high natural speed, outspeeding Pokemon like Alolan Raichu, Indeedee, and Silvally. Thanks to Fur Coat, it's capable of checking physical attackers in a pinch, such as Rhydon, Silvally-Steel, and Rillaboom. Taunt allows it to block non-attacking moves such as Wish from Vaporeon, Strength Sap from Vileplume, and Defog from Silvally-Steel, and Toxic allows it to cripple switch-ins in conjunction with Taunt. 216 Speed EVs is used so it can outspeed max speed Alolan Raichu, and KO it with Knock Off. It can also Taunt slower threats, like Silvally-Fairy and -Steel with Defog. Parting Shot can be used over U-turn, but runs the risk of letting Braviary and Passimian get a +4 increase in attack, and is often not worth it. Leftovers is best to allow it to have some form of passive recovery, but Rocky Helmet can be serviceable if Alolan Persian has support from Wish users, like Vaporeon and Aromatisse.

Alolan Persian hugely appreciates specially defensive Pokemon to take on the special attackers, like Salazzle, Aromatisse, and Ninetales, that would come in on it, so partners like Claydol, Copperajah, and Vaporeon can help Alolan Persian with those special attackers. In exchange, Alolan Persian can take on physical attackers, such as Rillaboom and Decidueye, for them. In a pinch, thanks to Fur Coat, Alolan Persian can take a hit from Fighting-type Pokemon, like Passimian and Bewear, but it cannot do so repeatedly. Therefore, Pokemon that can take a Fighting-type hit will serve as good partners to Alolan Persian. Pokemon like Aromatisse, Galarian Corsola and Jellicent can take on the Fighting-types for Alolan Persian, and it can help relieve them of their burden of checking physical attackers. However, they do not handle coverage from common Fighting-types well, and may fold to Fighting-type Pokemon that can boost their stats. Partners like Copperajah, Steelix, and Weezing can help Alolan Persian deal with Fairy-types, like Aromatisse and Silvally Fairy, although they may be carrying coverage to hit these Pokemon hard. Lastly, by virtue of Alolan Persian being a dark type, it can check Indeedee, but additonal checks to Indeedee are appreicated. Therefore, Pokemon like Silvally-Steel and Copperajah can assist Alolan Persian with this, and also fulfill other roles, such as using Defog or setting Stealth Rock, to help it out. Alolan Persian appreciates Wish support from the likes of Vaporeon and Aromatisse more than most since it allows Alolan Persian to have some sustainability. Indeedee, Virizion, and Alolan Raichu are possible partners for Alolan Persian, as they appreciate Alolan Persian's ability to pivot out of threats, like Salazzle, Scrafty, and Toxicroak that it would invite in. Rotom-C, Silvally-Steel, and Passimian can form a VoltTurn core with Alolan Persian, allowing them to pivot in and out of threats, and take on threats, like Salazzle, Aromatisse, and Duraludon. Lastly, Alolan Persian annoys threats like Jellicent and Gastrodon, so Pokemon that appreciates them being unable to recover easily, like Salazzle and Toxicroak, can come in and break teams easier.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[SectoniaServant, 400313]]
- Quality checked by: [[Expulso, 202058]], [Mavis, 469610]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey SectoniaServant, great analysis not much to say. Just want you to add some teammates and, perhaps, reconsider the spread. Let's discuss this in the RU discord (#ru-analyses), ping me whenever u bring it up there.

The rest looks good! Try to think of some more teammates given my comments at the bottom, and then put up QC 1/2. :blobthumbsup:

add comments

[SET]
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe **SEE COMMENT**

[SET COMMENTS]
Alolan Persian finds a small niche in the meta thanks to Fur Coat and high natural speed. Thanks to Fur Coat, it's capable of checking physical attackers that cannot hit it super effectively, such as Rhydon, Silvally-Steel, and Rillaboom. Taunt allows it to shut down slower defensive Pokemon, such as Gastrodon, Jellicent, and Vileplume, and Toxic allows it to cripple switch-ins in conjunction with Taunt. 68 Speed EVs is used so it can outspeed max speed Vanilluxe, and Taunt it first, preventing it from getting an Aurora Veil up. Finally, U-turn allows Alolan Persian to pivot out and deal chip damage. Parting Shot can be used over U-turn, but runs the risk of letting Braviary and Passimian get a +4 increase in attack, and is often not worth it. Leftovers is best to allow it to have some form of passive recovery, but Rocky Helmet can be serviceable if Alolan Persian has support.
I think you should consider a spread with either:
- 329/330 Speed to outspeed and Taunt Charizard/base 100s. this can be accomplished with either 252 Speed EVs with a neutral nature or 136 Speed EVs with a Speed-boosting nature
- 318 Speed to outspeed and Taunt / U-Turn on Silvallys & outspeed and KO Specs Indeedee. this can be accomplished with either 252 Speed EVs with a neutral nature or 96 Evs with a Speed-boosting nature. <-- I PREFER THIS ONE, silvs dont care much abt Knock Off so being able to Taunt them before they set up on you is nice -- as is stopping their Defog if they run that.

I think Speed is part of the reason to use it, and this mon should have a faster spread to reflect that. ask abt it in #ru-analyses so we can all discuss it.

Alolan Persian hugely appreciates specially defensive Pokemon to take on the special attackers that would come in on it, so partners like Claydol, Copperajah, and Vaporeon can help Persian-Alola with those special attackers. In exchange, Persian-Alola can take on physical attackers for them. In a pinch, thanks to Fur Coat, Persian-Alola can take a hit from Fighting-type Pokemon, like Passimian and Bewear, but it cannot do so repeatedly. Therefore, checks to Fighting-type Pokemon will serve as good partners to Persian-A. [maybe something about answers to Fairy-types here; Copperajah is both SpDef bulky and an answer to Fairy-types, as well as providing a secondary check to Psychic-types so it doesn't need to switch into Indeedee and risk dying to a gleam/hvoice]. Pokemon like Aromatisse, Xatu, and Jellicent can take on the Fighting-types for Persian-A, and Persian-A can help relieve them of their burden of checking physical attackers. Persian-Alola appreciates various other support options, such as Magic Bounce from Xatu, Wish from Vaporeon and Aromatisse, and hazard removal from Charizard, Silvally-Fairy, and Claydol. Indeedee, Virizion, and Slurpuff are possible partners for Persian-Alola, as they appreciate Persian-A's ability to pivot out of threats that it would invite in.

[add Volt-Turn partners like Rotom-C]
[add teammates that appreciate Persian-A's ability to Taunt recovery moves, Wish-passers like Vaporeon, hazard removers, hazard setters, etc. A fast Taunt is a big part of this mon; think of the teammates that appreciate this and can stall-break in tandem with Persian-A.]

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Expulso, 202058], [username2, userid2]]

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
qc amcheck, implement whatever you agree with

additions in (green), subtractions in (red), comments in (blue)

[SET]
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 216 Spe 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
(you have 24 extra EVs lol)

[SET COMMENTS]
Alolan Persian finds a small niche in the meta thanks to Fur Coat and high natural speed, which puts it above... (elaborate on why this high speed is good, what relevant threats does this allow you to outspeed? good examples of mons to mention here: Silvally and Indeedee-M). Thanks to Fur Coat, it's capable of checking physical attackers that cannot hit it super effectively in a pinch ("cannot hit it SE" is kinda obvious tbh, plus "in a pinch" helps to imply meaning that persian-a functions as a backup check, can't be primary check because for eg max atk ada rhydon 3hkos and knock off does 10-12 + it doesnt have recovery), such as Rhydon, Silvally-Steel, and Rillaboom. Taunt allows it to shut down slower defensive Pokemon (RC) block non-attacking moves such as Gastrodon, Jellicent, and Vileplume Wish from Vaporeon, Strength Sap from Vileplume, and Defog from Silvally-Steel, and Toxic allows it to cripple defensive checks on the switch-ins in conjunction with Taunt. (for the examples of non-attacking moves, you can mention w/e you want, just gave some suggestions. for toxic part, most of the mons listed to taunt kinda beat persian-a 1-on-1, so you wouldnt rly stay in to toxic after taunting, esp since heal bell vapo or vileplume, think it should be more of a general mention of what it can do). 216 Speed EVs is used so it can outspeed max speed Alolan Raichu, and KO it with Knock Off. It can also Taunt slower threats, like Silvally-Fairy and -Steel with Defog. (moved it up, wld recommend for future note to not split up mentions for the same move, also removed silv-fairy cuz it kinda just multi attacks u). Finally, U-turn allows Alolan Persian to pivot out and deal chip damage. Parting Shot can be used over U-turn, but runs the risk of letting Braviary and Passimian get a +4 increase in attack, and is often not worth it. Leftovers is best to allow it to have some form of passive recovery, but Rocky Helmet can be serviceable if Alolan Persian has support. (u-turn definition kind of fluff, everyone knows what it does. wrt support, what kind of support? not really clear here, could elaborate to mention "if paired with Wish support for sustainability" - just an example, can add on other options)

Alolan Persian hugely appreciates specially defensive Pokemon to take on the special attackers that would come in on it, so partners like Claydol, Copperajah, and Vaporeon can help Alolan Persian with those special attackers. (elaborate on examples of special attackers that would love coming in on persian-a, and how the partners suggested covers those special attackers. add on a mention of how vaporeon has an added benefit with wish support). In exchange, Alolan Persian can take on physical attackers for them. In a pinch, thanks to Fur Coat, Alolan Persian can take a hit from Fighting-type Pokemon, like Passimian and Bewear, but it cannot do so repeatedly. Therefore, checks to Fighting-type Pokemon will serve as good partners to Alolan Persian. Pokemon like Aromatisse, Xatu, and Jellicent can take on the Fighting-types for Alolan Persian, and it can help relieve them of their burden of checking physical attackers. (what kind of mons could persian-a help those to check if in a pinch, elaborate. also aromatisse and xatu kinda loses to alternative STAB that fighting types can have, such as double edge from bewear, maybe adjust mention to say "Fighting-type moves" instead of "Fighting-types") Additionally, Fairy-type checks are also appreciated to reduce the need for Alolan Persian to take unnecessary damage. partners like such as Copperajah, Steelix, and Weezing can help Alolan Persian deal with Fairy-types such as (...) (fill this in, also stuff like silv-fairy cld have coverage for partners mentioned, so make a clearer elaboration). Lastly, by virtue of Alolan Persian being a dark type, it can check Indeedee, but additonal additional checks to Indeedee are appreicated appreciated. Therefore, Pokemon like Silvally-Steel and Copperajah can assist Alolan Persian with this, and also fulfill other roles to help it out. (what kind of roles? too vague, cld mention functioning as a defogger and stealth rocker respectively, make a mention of how persian-a helps these two out also) Alolan Persian appreciates various other support options, such as Magic Bounce from Xatu, Wish from Vaporeon and Aromatisse, and hazard removal from Charizard, Silvally-Fairy, and Claydol. (pretty generic mentions, every mon would appreciate those regardless. tie in these "support options" with partners mentioned above, there's a fair few that could be elaborated on with these support options: aromatisse, vaporeon, silvally-steel etc etc) Indeedee, Virizion, and Alolan Raichu are possible partners for Alolan Persian, as they appreciate Alolan Persian's ability to pivot out of threats that it would invite in. (what threats would alolan persian invite in? and why is this good for the partners that you have mentioned here? elaborate) Rotom-C, Silvally-Steel, and Passimian can form a VoltTurn core with Alolan Persian, allowing them to pivot in and out of threats. (how do these mons synergise? shldnt purely be mentioned off being able to form voltturn, elaborate on what some of these mons can beat) Finally, Alolan Persian's fast Taunt is a boon for many of its allies - Pokemon like Galvantula, Duraludon, and Ferroseed appreciate Alolan Persian blocking Defog from removing hazards. Alolan Persian can also block Wish, Heal Bell, recovery moves, and status moves, which means Pokemon like Salazzle and Toxicroak can break teams easier. (taunt blocking non-attacking moves should already be covered in 1st para, and 2nd para fairly long as is [with so many partners mentioned] compared to 1st para. could leave in salazzle and toxicroak mention with a bit of adjustment on phrasing - mention specifically which defensive mons persian-a acts as an annoyance to with fast taunt [so that expulso's point doesn't get ignored], and how that benefits the 2 mons, e.g. would be blocking recover from mons such as gastrodon and jellicent are beneficial in helping lazzle and croak have a better time breaking opposing team)

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Expulso, 202058]], [username2, userid2]]
sorry if there seems to be a fair bit to go through, tend to a bit draggy with my comments to clearly articulate reasoning / thoughts behind changes or adjustments that could be made. feel free to clarify any of my comments on discord!

Last edited:

Sectonia

is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
implemented most of this, but didn't do the fighting-types point, as personally, i thought that while it's true that fighting-types carry coverage for those switchins, it's not exactly something they would immediately use, as persian-a baits the STAB that's super effective, not the option that could do jack of they decided to stay in for whatever reason. passi, for example, is typically locked into a move when it does pick, and bewear is rather slow compared to a bunch of threats, so switching into those is less concerning, when you can generally expect them to go for the stronger options. if qc wants to change, then i will, but for now, I'll keep the fighting-types checks.

Mavis

Banned deucer.
you already know my nitpicking about no "1/2 looks good" qc checks, so I had to nitpick and only one thing stood out to me- I'd like gorex's bit to be implemented about the fighting types. ["what kind of mons could persian-a help those to check if in a pinch, elaborate. also aromatisse and xatu kinda loses to alternative STAB that fighting types can have, such as double edge from bewear, maybe adjust mention to say "Fighting-type moves" instead of "Fighting-types"] xatu/jelli saying they take on fighting types is fairly unreliable, as all our fighters carry coverage tailored to beat these threats. saying they take on fighting-type attacks but fall victim to coverage works much better- a swords dance fighting type will demolish this core, it's best to represent in the text. i've got faith you can rewrite this appropriately, tag me on disc if any further questions.

stamping goorex's excellent amcheck, well done friend gorex

change this to 2/2 SectoniaServant

QC-bkdrew-small.gif

Sectonia

Scrubbed the one Xatu mention in here, and implemented the changes - sorry it took so long. I've been busy with life, that I almost forgot I had this. Sending to GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)