Personal CAP Viability Rankings

inspired by the NU version; OP also taken from there
approved by Jho

Personal CAP Viability Rankings
Due to the subjective nature of tiering, people can often have vastly different opinions on the viability of certain Pokemon and their place in shaping the metagame. The CAP metagame in particular is incredibly dynamic, which means that it's constantly changing and being influenced by popular trends. However, every good player carves their own niche style of teambuilding and has a unique view of what works in the tier, which means that there is no concrete answer to determine definitive viability. In this thread, I invite everyone to share your own personal viability rankings and explain your thought process and reasoning behind the Pokemon placements within it.

Rules:
  1. No shitposting, this is meant to be a resource which people can look at in the future when learning or revising over Gen 7 CAP.
  2. You don't need to comment on every Pokemon in your ranking if their placement is obvious or similar to the current VR.
  3. Feel free to use whatever ranking system you'd like as long as there's a clear distinction between rankings that we can understand.
  4. Use hidetags if your rankings are super big

To kick the thread off, here's my personal VR:

S Rank

:jumbao: Jumbao
:tornadus-therian: Tornadus-T

A+ Rank

:celesteela: Celesteela
:heatran: Heatran
:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn
:kartana: Kartana
:necturna: Necturna
:tapu-lele: Tapu Lele

A Rank

:arghonaut: Arghonaut
:alakazam-mega: Mega Alakazam
:colossoil: Colossoil
:equilibra: Equilibra
:greninja: Greninja
:krillowatt: Krilowatt
:landorus-therian: Landorus-T
:latias-mega: Mega Latias
:pajantom: Pajantom
:rotom-wash: Rotom-W
:tapu-koko: Tapu Koko
:toxapex: Toxapex
:tyranitar-mega: Mega Tyranitar

A- Rank

:caribolt: Caribolt
:excadrill: Excadrill
:gliscor: Gliscor
:kommo-o: Kommo-o
:kyurem-black: Kyurem-B
:lopunny-mega: Mega Lopunny
:mawile-mega: Mega Mawile
:medicham-mega: Mega Medicham
:syclant: Syclant
:tangrowth: Tangrowth
:victini: Victini
:weavile: Weavile

B+ Rank

:greninja-ash: Ash-Greninja
:aurumoth: Aurumoth
:chansey: Chansey
:charizard-mega-x: Mega Charizard X
:charizard-mega-y: Mega Charizard Y
:clefable: Clefable
:garchomp-mega: Mega Garchomp
:gyarados: Gyarados
:latios-mega: Mega Latios
:magearna: Magearna
:manaphy: Manaphy
:pelipper: Pelipper
:reuniclus: Reuniclus
:sableye-mega: Mega Sableye
:swampert-mega: Mega Swampert
:tomohawk: Tomohawk
:tyranitar: Tyranitar
:volcarona: Volcarona
:volkraken: Volkraken

B Rank

:amoonguss: Amoonguss
:cyclohm: Cyclohm
:ditto: Ditto
:fidgit: Fidgit
:gallade-mega: Mega Gallade
:garchomp: Garchomp
:hawlucha: Hawlucha
:hoopa-unbound: Hoopa-U
:jirachi: Jirachi
:mamoswine: Mamoswine
:pinsir-mega: Mega Pinsir
:scizor-mega: Mega Scizor
:serperior: Serperior
:slowking: Slowking
:tapu-fini: Tapu Fini
:zapdos: Zapdos

B- Rank

:diancie-mega: Mega Diancie
:gastrodon: Gastrodon
:kitsunoh: Kitsunoh
:naviathan: Naviathan
:slowbro: Slowbro
:slowbro-mega: Mega Slowbro
:suicune: Suicune

C Rank

:aggron-mega: Mega Aggron
:cawmodore: Cawmodore
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:moltres: Moltres
:skarmory: Skarmory
:snaelstrom: Snaelstrom
:stratagem: Stratagem

To determine these rankings, I took each Pokemon's splashability, reliability, effect on the metagame, and consistency into account.

So the obvious thing that stands out here is that I have Jumbao in S rank. It's an idea that I've slowly warmed up to after Jho brought it up. As we all know, Jumbao is incredibly versatile and can fill a lot of different roles for various different archetypes; ranging from a bulky Wish passer, to an incredible wallbreaker, and even a great Choice Scarf user. The amazing utility that Jumbao offers to almost any team regardless of sets mean that it is very splashable in the current metagame and I definitely think it's on-par with Tornadus-T.

I was kind of torn between putting Heatran in A+ and S- because it provides so much for teams and never does nothing, but ultimately I'd rather not create an S- rank for a single Pokemon that is still pretty close to other A+ Pokemon in terms of viability.

With the discovery of Return / Frustration Choice Band Kartana, it has become a true menace to deal with. It's easily one of the best, most consistent wallbreakers in the tier that I believe it easily deserves a spot in A+. On top of that, it's still a good wallbreaker with Swords Dance and a decent Choice Scarf user as well, so it finds its way onto teams pretty well.

I don't think Landorus-T is as good as any of the other A+ rank Pokemon, and Tapu Koko's niche has become far less important after Equilibra's nerf, which is why I put both of them in A.

With Equilibra losing Toxic, Arghonaut has made a slight return as a very consistent Spikes setter that can check staples such as Heatran very well.

Mega Alakazam is actually pretty good right now. With Equilibra taking a hit in viability, Aurumoth being far less important, and the best Steel-types being Heatran and Celesteela, Knock Off Mega Alakazam is an absolute menace to deal with. On top of that, it takes advantage of the rise in Toxapex in Arghonaut very well and serves as great Speed control thanks to its naturally amazing Speed.

Since Equilibra's nerf, it's taken a hit in viability. I don't think it's equally viable as the other S rank Pokemon and also think it's worse than most if not all of the Pokemon in A+. Equilibra simply isn't as consistent in the current metagame and no longer strains the metagame as much as it did before, which is why I believe it belongs in A.

Mega Latias is such a consistent check to Pokemon such as Equilibra and Arghonaut, that it's very important glue for many balance teams. Thanks to its great defensive utility, it's also 1 of the best win conditions in the current metagame, especially when considering how easy it is to play around most of its counterplay. I'd also like to point out that Mega Latias has many options to deal with checks such as Heatran, Celesteela, and Toxapex available, making it incredibly hard to check all sets.

Rotom-W is one of the best Tornadus-T, Heatran, and Equilibra checks right now, and because of the lack of good Ground-types that want to absorb its Volt Switch right now, it's a really amazing pivot that can determine the flow of games.

Something that I know really stands out in A- is Kommo-o, but it's absolutely amazing in the current metagame in my opinion. The reason it deserves such a huge rise is its specially defensive set, which is very annoying to deal with for some of the best hazard removers right now; particularly Tornadus-T and Equilibra. On top of that, Kommo-o provides an incredible check to Heatran, Ferrothorn, Mega Tyranitar, and can even check Kartana in a pinch.

Kyurem-B is a phenomenal wallbreaker right now that provides some nice defensive utility by taking advantage of Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Gliscor.

Similarly to Kommo-o, Mega Lopunny also stands out in A- as it is B rank on the current VR. In my opinion, Mega Lopunny's one of the best options for Speed control at the moment thanks to its incredible Speed tier and access to Fake Out and Quick Attack, allowing it to check Pokemon like Necturna for example. On top of that, not many teams are very well equipped to deal with Mega Lopunny right now, also making it a menacing wallbreaker.

Mega Mawile is an amazing wallbreaker on paper, but it simply isn't splashable enough for me to put it alongside Pokemon in A rank such as Rotom-W, Mega Latias, and Krilowatt.

If you've ever talked to me, you know that I despise Mega Medicham; it's always more threatening on paper than it is in practice, as it's often forced into awkward mindgames against bulkier teams. Because of its lack of consistency, I don't think it's on par with Pokemon in the A rank.

As the metagame has continued to evolve, Victini has cemented its spot in the metagame as a notable wallbreaker in sun and good Choice Scarf user, which alone is enough for me to put it in A-.

Please don't kill me for putting Ash-Greninja in B+, but this Pokemon just isn't good. Because Jumbao, Arghonaut, and Kommo-o are amazing right now, Ash-Greninja constantly underperforms, even if it is able to consistently set Spikes throughout a match.

With Aurumoth getting explored more lately, I think its Dragon Dance set is enough to warrant a small rise.

Clefable's a very threatening Pokemon right now that can overwhelm defensive Steel-types such as Celesteela, Heatran, and Equilibra fairy easily, while simultaneously providing a solid check to Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Mega Lopunny, and Kommo-o.

In terms of consistency and effectiveness right now, Mega Garchomp simply doesn't fit in A-, and belongs more alongside Pokemon like Mega Charizard Y and Gyarados.

Volcarona still struggles with 4MSS as always, specifically struggling with the resurgence of Arghonaut now, and I don't think it's consistent enough to be in A- as a result.

Volkraken is a very mediocre wallbreaker because of its awkward Speed tier and also a mediocre Choice Scarf user. It's often forced out because of its awkward Speed tier, which really isn't great considering its weakness to Stealth Rock. On top of that, it struggles to deal with bulky Water-types, and once it's locked into a move, it's not actually that hard to deal with. Because of Volkraken's many flaws, it doesn't fit among the rest of A-. I'd even argue it fits better in B than B+.

With Normal moves gaining traction on Kartana, Cyclohm struggles to actually check it. On top of that, it's pressured pretty easily by many common Pokemon right now, and also struggles with slight 4MSS.

Ditto brings good utility to almost any bulkier build; being a great "check" to setup sweepers such as Necturna and Mega Charizard X, while simultaneously being able to provide an insurance net against bulkier Pokemon like Toxapex and threatening wallbreakers such as Mega Medicham and Kartana.

Fidgit's the embodiment of matchup fishing and has been overrated for a while.

Tapu Koko cheese struggles right now, and Hawlucha really only fits on that, warranting a drop to B.

With other Mega Evolutions becoming better, and Tapu Koko + breaker cores becoming slightly worse, I don't think Mega Gallade fits among the rest of B+.

Slowking only fits on Trick Room, so it shouldn't be ranked higher than Fidgit.

Zapdos struggles with the same thing as Cyclohm.

Mega Diancie struggles to achieve much in this metagame, with Celesteela and Equilibra still being very good. I think B slightly oversells it.

Kitsunoh's really just a shell of its former self. Not many teams need the compression that it provides and it's not good at checking many of the faster threats right now.

Suicune's not very relevant right now because it struggles to accomplish much against many teams.

All Cawmodore does is fish for matchups, so it belongs in C.

Snaelstrom has a small niche but really I think Kommo-o is just better at it.

Mega Crucibelle, Mega Heracross, Hydreigon, Kerfluffle, Mew, Mollux, Pyroak, and Mega Venusaur don't do enough to warrant ranking them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)