Project Personal SS DOU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by Yoda2798 and zeefable

Personal SS Doubles OU Viability Rankings
Hi, this is a thread for everyone to post their personal viability rankings. We are doing a new thread to encourage activity and to not clog up the official viability rankings thread. Here are some ground rules and suggestions:
  • Use this amazing tiermaker created by zeefable to not only make it easier for yourself, but also so the thread looks nice. All pokemon either ranked on the VR or DOU by usage is included, as well as some other Pokemon that have seen some ladder/tournament usage.
  • No description is required. Feel free to just drop your tiermaker and dip. Of course, any explanation is appreciated.
    • Please note if the Pokemon in your subranks at ranked by viability, alphabetical order, or just random.
  • If you want to make a formal nomination, be sure to do so in the actual viability rankings thread, or else it probably won't get voted on.
  • I will like every post to encourage participation.
Lastly, I'm going to tag some players that did well in DPL, Seasonals, and DLT. Even if I do not tag you, you are still encouraged to post your viability rankings. I want to hear as many people's opinions as possible. Everyone's ranking will be weighed the same.

Last edited:
bop
1620761925152.png

Prob the biggest thing with my rankings is Tier 1 Kartana and Tier 1 Prime featuring Zygarde Urshifu and Heatran up from Tier 2. Imo these 7 are really meta defining Pokemon atm, teambuilding is both warped around them and really easy to do when using them.

Tier 2 has redirection + diancie + 4 good spatkers. i think zap is the only mon that I have higher here than on the VR.

Tier 3 is what I'd consider the last list of consistently viable mons. Each of these guys has a specific purpose that it does pretty well or does a lot reliably enough to be here

Tier 4 are some cool Pokemon that get more into matchup fishy territory imo, Moltres-G is fire tho

Tier 5 is prob about the bottom of the barrel stuff that I'd use in something like a seasonals run

e: all tiers but UR are ordered by my opinion of viability, though of course when you get down to like tier 4 who cares if Scrafty is one place above Landorus

A2CF50BA-1EAB-4117-A2E1-527BB89FE58C.png
Fun idea. Some notes:
Tiers are not in order.
Tier 1: Pokémon that are dominant in their matches (diancie) or are extremely good and fit in just about every team (Volcanion). I’m not a believer in tier 1 being like 1 or 2 Pokémon, because then the meta overcorrects to account for them (and if the meta can’t account for them they should be banned imo).
Tier 2: Extremely good Pokémon that don’t quite fit on every team.
Tier 3: Pokémon that are either dominant on a niche playstyle (Kingdra) or pretty good in general (Zapdos).
Tier 4: Either second tier support Pokémon (Scrafty, Blastoise) or Pokémon that can be dominant if your opponent doesn’t bring adequate checks (Cress, Kommo, Spectrier, etc.)
Tier 5: Pokémon that work in very specific teams/circumstances, but otherwise shouldn’t be considered.

There’s a couple Pokémon missing, like Victini & Dracozolt, but otherwise it’s a good list.

download (10).png

Ordered them to be Top/Bottom of each of their respective tiers

some explanations from my personal observation to complement this

Kartana (Top of Tier 2) - Has the ability to benefit from 2 of the current top 3 on the VR, snowballs and Intimidate user are not safe with it's coverage, and supports with TW makes its partners threatening, which can result in opponents splitting hairs on who to target. Frailty is the only thing holding it back from being t1, but is still on the cusp for me.

Kyu-B (Upper Tier 2) - Versatile in what it can accomplish set and EV wise with its stats, and great offensive movepool/sufficient support movepool to play around with. However, is prone to getting worn down due to heavy reliance as a backbone, often being forced to be brought in when SR is up to soak up hits, getting cycled on Intimidate wise if DD or smacked outright with non-Protect sets by Fighting/Fairy coverage users. Still very strong and cannot be ignored.

Zeraora (Bottom Tier 2) - Fastest Fake Out, fastest base speed of the Upper Tier Ranks with a versatile movepool. Useful in almost every matchup is it brought in, as it can be slotted in with the coverage/support you need it to fit (Blaze Kick, Snarl, Knock Off, Close Combat, Taunt etc). Four moveslot syndrome and average bulk, which usually results in an AV set are it's knocks, but is still an excellent support mon that is able to dish out good damage.

Volcanion (Top of Tier 3) - Great glue mon, Fire + Water is cool coverage/backbone (FWG in 2 mons) for any team, and its bulk with items lets it expand a little further into what it can do for a team. However, is usually one-dimensional in its movesets, coverage options carried by a lot of Pokemon can deal with it while often unable to trade due to speed tier, and common Spam like Grass/PsySpam are something it doesn't resist.

Landorus-T (Bottom of Tier 3) - Intimidate, SR, and Pivot with workable movepool. However, Earth Power is usually it's only good attacking move on its moveset, and can often feel lacking or passive as a result; in a battle, I often find it setting SR and cycle it a couple times before it dies. Definitely not as oppresive as it once was, and it having U-Turn + more Speed to work with is the only reason it's not in Tier 4 for me, which is where Scrafty, who does not have pivot, is.

Kommo-o (Top of Tier 4) - Both sets are good, though I prefer the Body Press set for being able to work outside of Misty Terrain while freeing up a moveslot for something like Stealth Rock or Toxic. Requires ample support to get rid of Fairy types (Ghost types if Body Press), is weak to PsySpam, and needs turn(s) to setup, but has enough favorable matchups to be worth considering.

Registeel - (Upper Tier 5) - Another Body Press user, but with a Steel typing and more rounded out bulk. Requires heavy support and play, needing to be paired with Rillaboom and some way to divert (Ally Switch/Follow Me) and removing things like Urshifu-R from the battlefield; putting it on your team means you're saying its the win condition, and its partners are limited to things that will fulfill that.

Regieleki (Bottom Half of Tier 5) - Very matchup fish mon that requires moving around Zeraora/Ground mons if seen, but its KO potential with its Speed Tier against the rest can be downright insane. As much as I'd like to write it off, I still feel the need to add a Ground type or Zeraora to some teams if I spot even one instance of someone using it in a replay because I do not want to lose to a stupid meme.

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I ended up with no URs, I think all of them have at least a niche, but since a lot of unlisted stuff also has a niche, I could see the case to remove a lot of the stuff that's really situational. I also didn't take into account the "worse x" syndrome (ie. Dusclops is a worse Porygon2, Suicune is a worse Tapu Fini, Scrafty is a worse Incineroar) that could justify unranking some of them.

I also ordered by viability within each tier.

my-image.png

Tapu Fini: It's still one of the best Pokémon, but Kartana-Rilla meta isn't very kind to it. Probably going to be top tier again with the next meta shift though.

Mew: It has so many options and sets, I think it just suffers from not being the flavor of the month anymore, and its potential isn't reflected in usage.

Incineroar: I think I remember seeing some noms for Incin to go down and I disagree, it might have fallen off a bit but it's still super solid.

Spectrier: Went from overrated to underrated, I think its just place it somewhere in the middle, always needs to be respected in the builder.

Zapdos: Flavor of the month, but still potentially good enough to go up a tier, I'm a bit torn.

Dragapult: Overrated, Specs is weak, DD is awkward a lot of the time but definitely can do well with the right matchup.

Indeedee-F: Better than Lele, the support toolbox it offers combined with the potential to spam E-Force to never be passive is really good, can definitely be a better fit on some teams than Amoon or Blastoise imo.

Dracovish, Comfey, Whimsicott: I think these Pokémon suffer a bad rep from the way they're poorly used all over the ladder, and they pack more potential than they get credit for.

Tiers 4 and 5 in their entirety I see as situational.

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Everything is ordered from tier 0 to UR, although my opinions on some of the exact orderings could be subject to change depending on when I happened to be asked to rank them
my-image.png

Kyube and Eforce/Necro are absolutely busted and I unironically would like to ban both of these mons. I am still convinced fini is the best (not broken) mon in this meta. I fully stand by my top 5 metagross placement, amounts of role compression, defensive utility, and ability to make progress few things if anything else in this meta can match, absolutely fantastic mon. Shifu and diancie are as potent offensively as fini/rilla/gross are utility-wise, and I feel them to be better than everything in tier 2. Amoonguss is tier 1 to me because sleep is fucking broken and this is my visual representation of that. Despite zygarde being ahead of kart on the list, they are tied to me, both incredibly potent offensively with defensive utility that can be leveraged to boot. Toise-through-Lele is more or less also a 4 way tie to me, depending on the day and time you ask me any of them could end up being thrown into some hypothetical top 10 list of mine. I've never been as big on steamy as some people are, but damn if it isn't annoying as shit sometimes, same for pult. Mew, Zapdos, and p2 are all epic speed control that provide amazing utility/defensive benefits respectively, and being weak to any of them can be worse for teams than one would initially assume. Genesect was a toss up for me between tiers 2 and 3 but I decided I thought it's potency was closer to that of p2 than zera and that's why I decided to err on the side of tier 2, it's rainbow pool of coverage can be annoying if you aren't using the few things that pretty reliably counter it/get outplayed really hard. I consider tier 3 to be the rest of the really viable mons that you really really have to consider when you're in the builder. My tier 4 is probably controversial as heck, but I think all six of these mons are noticably worse than everything above them, but also way better than all the only half viable mons in tier 5. Speaking of tier 5, I included in it everything that I would personally consider using while building+registeel and salamence, which I personally would never consider using but I feel like they can really meaningfully contribute to winning games and don't deserve to be called unviable. Everything in UR are things I do not consider to be worthwhile to use when trying to seriously win games, but I ordered them based on my perceived usability of them rather than perceived viability since there is none of the latter to be found here. I recognize there are some decently hot takes here, if anyone is curious as to more specific reasoning on why I ranked something where or above/below something else I'd be happy to defend and debate my placements, just hmu.

ps. I'm terribly sorry for the shit ass formating, doing this all on my phone sucked :/

Meminger21

Lágrimas Ocultas
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
my-image.png

Dragapult: One of the fastest mon that scares everything in the meta, Specs + Shadow Ball/Draco Meteor/Flamethrower can 2HKO almost everything and pressures Rilla+Kartana, Zygarde and Kyurem-B. Ghost/Dragon gives him immunity to Fake Out and fighting and resistance to grass, fire, and water. His problem is its fragility and the fact that it can't 1HKO almost anything even with Specs or Life Orb.

Urshifu: He literally shaped the whole meta, you can't bring a team without Rillaboom or Fini. His ability to bypass Protect and ignore Intimidate is just ridiculous, he can 1HKO Kyurem-B, Incineroar, Diancie, Porygon 2 and Zygarde (Ice Punch), also threatening almost everything.

Tapu Fini: One of the best mons of DOU, but with the reign of Rilla/Kartana is easiely Tier 2. Fini can't use CM or be a good support with Rillaboom priority and Kartana+Scope Lens.

Zapdos: An amazing TW setter with Hurricane/Volt Switch/Heat Wave, having a good Speed Tier and incredible bulky. Its typing is incredible being weak to only Rock and Ice. Being able to use TW and Volt Switch makes him the 2º best TW setter losing only to Kartana.

Indeed-F: A very good mon for PsySpam teams with Expanding Force and good support moves Follow Me/Helping Hand/Heal Pulse/Baton Pass.

Landorus-T: Mew is a better rock setter and is threatened by a lot of the things in the metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)