SM OU Pheromosa Breakin' Necks! [Z-Hyper Beam QD Phero BO] [Peaked 1618]

What do you think of Z-Hyper Beam Quiver Dance Phero?

• Total voters
INTRODUCTION

Hello! Thanks for checking out my 2nd RMT! I built around an unorthodox set in Z-Hyper Beam Quiver Dance Pheromosa. While a peak of 1618 isn't too impressive, I'm still fairly new to competitive, so its the best I could reach before I get tilted by bad luck lol. This is probably my favorite team I've made this gen, so let's check it out!

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

I originally chose to build my team around this mon: Quiver Dance Phero with Z-Hyper Beam. I chose Ash Greninja as a good offensive partner, as they share and wear down a common switch-in being Tapu Fini.

I added bulky Heatran because I needed a rocker, and it also covers a weakness to Scizor.

I added Phys. Def Tangrowth to give myself a solid ground resist, as it counters all ground types barring Z-Fly Land and Z-Fire Fang SD Chomp (which is pretty rare as is). It also can force a mon that commonly switches in, like Charizard, to be sleep fodder because of sleep powder.

Next, I added AV Magearna. This mon allows me to switch in on things like Tapu Koko, Greninja, and most importantly, Tapu Lele. It can also gain momentum with Volt Switch.

Finally, I added Scarfchomp mainly as a revenge killer to +1 Volc, Mence, and Zard X. It works as an effective late game cleaner too.

After some testing, I decided that adding Offensive Rocks Lando over Tran and Scarf Terrak over Scarfchomp was overall a better idea. Lando gives me a better matchup vs. Stall because of SD + Soft Sand, and Terrak rkills all of the things scarfchomp does, and it does better vs. things like Celesteela and Ferrothorn, which are mons that Garchomp would struggle with. This is the final version of the team!

THE TEAM

Pheromosa @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Modest Nature
EVs: 224 Sp. Atk / 32 Sp. Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
-Quiver Dance
-Focus Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Hyper Beam

First, we have the star of the show, Pheromosa. Someone suggested this to me in the OU chat on PS, and it's been my favorite set to use since. Quiver Dance Pheromosa is a fantastic cleaner/sweeper, especially late-game. It even works as a breaker for the other offensive power on this team, like Ash-Gren, because of Z-Hyper Beam. The reason I use Z-Hyper Beam over something like Z-Focus Blast, is it's ability to lure and kill a weakened Tapu Fini at +1 (or straight up OHKO at +2). Z-Hyper Beam also allows it to nuke things like Volcarona, Defensive Lando, and Toxapex. Here are some calcs...

252 SpA Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 32 SpD Pheromosa: 225-264 (79.5 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 224+ SpA Pheromosa Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP /
16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 261-308 (76 - 89.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 224+ SpA Pheromosa Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Toxapex: 265-312 (87.1 - 102.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 224+ SpA Pheromosa Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 427-503 (111.7 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 224+ SpA Pheromosa Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 350-412 (112.5 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The EVs make sure that I live a non-specs Ash Greninja's Water Shuriken from full. It also means that I get special attack raises from beast boosts. Bug Buzz and Focus Blast give me dual STAB and are the moves I'll be clicking most of the time. A nice usage tip against Tapu Fini teams would be to come in on a free switch on something you force out (like defensive lando, tangrowth, choice-locked ash-gren, etc.), and set up a quiver dance as they switch into Tapu Fini. Then, set up again in its face, because at +2 Sp. Def, Phero lives moonblast. Then, Breakneck Blitz it and proceed to clean up shop!

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-U-Turn
-Dark Pulse
-Water Shuriken

Ash-Greninja is the mon I chose next. This pokemon has outstanding synergy with Pheromosa, as Phero can lure and kill Tapu Fini, one of Ash-Gren's hardest counters. Ash-gren also gives my team a nice form of priority in water shuriken, which can rkill out-of-hand set up mons like Zard X, weakened Volcarona, or Lando-T for example. Hydro Pump is a nuke backed with STAB, Specs, and a base 153 Sp. Atk. Dark Pulse is the most spammable move in it's arsenal, as there are no immunities to dark, and it is 100% accuracy. U-Turn is there to grab momentum on forced switches. Ash-Gren is a fantastic rkiller and late-game cleaner.

Landorus-T @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 16 Sp. Def / 108 Spe
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Swords Dance
-Stealth Rock

Now, I know what your thinking. "Oh, why would you run a spread like that? That seems so bad!" Now yes, it might be a bad spread, but I have a method to my madness. This Lando spread allows me to take two +1 0 Atk Mega Scizor Bullet Punches, since my team is hella weak to Scizor. It also lets me take two -1 Hyperspace Furies from scarf Hoopa-U, and to take two -1 Outrages from scarfchomp. The Sp. Def lets Lando take a HP Ice from Tapu Koko after rocks. The speed also lets me outspeed max speed base 70's and Jolly TTar. Anyways, this Pokémon is the stealth rocker on the team, and it is also one of the biggest offensive presences of the team. Backed with max attack and soft sand, EQ smashes almost anything that doesn't resist, especially after an SD. Here are some defensive and offensive calcs...

+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 261-307 (74.1 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 252-297 (63.3 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini in Misty Terrain: 147-174 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- 45.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 0 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 88 HP / 44 Def Landorus-Therian: 144-169 (42.2 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252 Atk Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 88 HP / 44 Def Landorus-Therian: 133-157 (39 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 88 HP / 44 Def Landorus-Therian: 136-162 (39.8 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 88 HP / 16 SpD Landorus-Therian: 248-296 (72.7 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 516-607 (80.3 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 240-283 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lando also gives me a better matchup vs. stall and balance, as it destroys Toxapex, Chansey, and Sableye. Overall, Lando is a fantastic addition to my team, odd set and all.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Relaxed Nature
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Sp. Def
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Ice
-Sleep Powder
-Knock Off

This mon is on, like, all of my teams for a reason. Tangrowth is my main ground resist on the team, as it beats any ground type barring Z-fly Lando or Z-Fire Fang SD Chomp (the latter being very uncommon). It also gives me a counter to one of the biggest threats in the meta, being Mega Metagross (ice punch does 43% max). The EVs let tangrowth take 2 magnet boosted tbolts from Tapu Koko. Giga Drain is a semi-reliable way to get health back. HP Ice nukes Lando, Mence, and Chomp. Sleep Powder allows common switch-ins, like Charizard or Volcarona, to become sleep fodder (granted I hit :] ). Knock Off give Tang some utility, as it can remove some important items like Tapu Lele's Scarf.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
Modest Nature
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Sp. Atk / 44 Spe
-Volt Switch
-Flash Cannon
-Fleur Cannon
-Aura Sphere

This is similar to tangrowth in the fact that this is also on like all of my teams as well. Anyways, this is my main special switch-in. AV Magearna takes hits from Greninja, Koko, Specs Hoopa, and most importantly, Tapu Lele. Volt Switch can grab momentum on a switch. Flash cannon is my most reliable STAB, as it doesn't drop my special attack like Fleur Cannon does. Fleur Cannon is a nuke that I only use when I know I can dent or kill something. Aura Sphere is my filler move, and it lets me hit steels like Ferrothorn and Heatran on switch. I have enough speed to outspeed min speed Skarmory.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spe
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-Rock Slide
-Poison Jab

The last member of my team is Scarf Terrakion. Mainly, this is here because up until now, I basically lose to Volcarona. Not only does this revenge kill Volcarona, it revenge kills Salamence and Zard X. Close Combat hits hard on anything that doesn't resist. Same can be said for stone edge. I'm running both Rock Slide and Stone Edge because Rock Slide is more accurate, making revenge killing or potentially late-game cleaning less risky. I almost never click Poison Jab, but it potentially can hit the Tapus very hard. EVs are simple: just max max jolly to hit hard and go fast.

THE THREATS

Imo, this is the biggest threat to the team. Luckily, I don't see it often. I need to keep Lando healthy in order to weaken it, and maybe rkill with Ash-Gren. This could be alleviated by putting HP Fire over Ice on Tang, but I feel HP Ice is better. We'll have to see.

Honestly, unless you have a bronzing, you are weak to this thing. If it sets up, and it has Z-Fly, it has potential to sweep if my greninja is gone. Otherwise, Ash Gren can rkill with Water Shuriken. Tang walls if it isn't Z-Fly.

While this mon is easily revenge killed by Terrakion or even Ash Gren, it is damn near impossible for me to switch in to this thing. Keeping terrakion alive is crucial to beating this.

Two words: No Switchins. Like all most things in the threatlist, it can be rkilled, but this mon is especially hard to work around.

Like Scizor, luckily I don't run into these things often. Offensive tran is SO HARD to switch into, as is Offensive Marowak. I actually was swept by an SD Wak on trick room once. Both can be easily rkilled, but my team lacks a solid switch in to both of these threats.
(There are more, but these are the biggest ones imo)

REPLAYS

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-542472039
(Prime example of Pheromosa sweeping late-game. Blitzed the Fini early on, and it just left the door wide open for itself to clean.)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-542600573
(Just a well played game on both parts. Just ignore my knock off on the Lando w/ my tang. I WAY overpredicted. Anyways, Ash-Gren came through for Phero to win.)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-542528113
(Peak game. Killed duggy and lando pretty early, and got to Breakneck Blitz the volc.)

I would have more, but I'm dumb and forget to save them lol.

IMPORTABLE
Pheromosa @ Normalium Z
EVs: 224 SpA / 32 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Hyper Beam
- Focus Blast
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere
Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 16 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

CONCLUSION

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance of this team, but it can definitely be better. Please leave some feedback if you can, I'd definitely appreciate it. Thanks, and have fun with the team! :]

Last edited:
hi

the concept of the team is pretty easy to grasp as pheromosa uses an unconventional set to weaken / ko ash greninja's checks in tapu fini. i have used the set extensively, but this team does not really use its traits to its full capabilities. your team gives celesteela too many free turns to click leech seed and.....win (considering you are not av tangrowth, you have little way to pressure it without wasting a turn clicking a boosting move. landorus-t and assault vest tangrowth are also massive nuisances. defensive landorus-t is one of the hardest things for you to defeat and u-turn invites pheromosa, protean greninja, and mega charizard y in for free which you have nothing for. obviously, i am viewing these in a vaccuum but the combination of rocky helmet tangrowth and assault vest magearna makes this team play on a shitty defensive backbone when you have ridiculous threats such as ash greninja and pheromosa waiting to get in.

the first suggestion is running assault vest tangrowth. not only do these stop dangerous threats such as tapu koko (seriously) and greninja from transforming, it actually fits the playstyle and route your team wants to go. it literally brings everything magearna brought to the table at the cost of being weaker to metagross and twisted spoon / choice specs tapu lele.

this team is horridly weak to stall teams. when i build something like this and encounter a stall team, i just delete the team the minute i lose to this. in my honest opinion, magearna brings very little to this team and you can easily fix this weakness by running magnezone + knock off > stone edge on landorus-t. considering you have magnezone, you don't have much to lose by using nihilego > terrakion. the combination of ash greninja and pheromosa is all you need to completely overwhelm the opponent's special defense. nihilego also gives you a win condition and you can create a gameplan based off that. magnezone is also air balloon with thunder wave just to improve your matchup against ground types and metagross which you have become weaker to when I changed tangrowth to assault vest.

- knock off > stone edge

- assault vest > rocky helmet
>

>
Pheromosa @ Normalium Z
EVs: 224 SpA / 32 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Hyper Beam
- Focus Blast

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
Hey, thanks for the reply man. I appreciate it a lot. As for the suggestions, I really have no issue with them. They really pull the team together nicely. The team definitely fares well vs. stall now. Also, a quick (and probably dumb) question, why Thunder over Thunderbolt on Nihilego? Otherwise, this was super helpful, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)