Philadelphia Pokemon Video Game Regionals - Oct 27, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date: Sunday, October 27, 2013
Place: Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia, PA (Terrace Ballroom)
Website for additional details: PhiladelphiaPokemon.com

Registration
Masters - Registration 8:00 am to 9:00am. players meeting at 9:30am
Juniors and Seniors - Registration 9:00am to 10:00 am. players meeting at 10:30am

Entry is FREE for all age groups. You do not need to qualify to play. Everyone is welcome.

You can pre-register for this event online and print out a registration form. You will need a Pokemon Player id and a valid email to preregister. If you do not have a Player ID then you can get one online at pokemon.com -instructions to step you through getting a Player ID are at http://philadelphiapokemon.com/howto.html

Get your Fast Pass to the front of the line
and Pre-register at: http://www.1playerplace.com/signups?event=US880XXHAM8JKW4

What to bring
Players must bring their Nintendo DS (any DS system), a Pokemon game card (Pokémon Black Version 2 or Pokémon White Version 2), and a charger for their DS. Please be sure that your game is charged. Players are restricted on what Pokemon can be used for a tournament based on that event's format. Please see the listing below (current as of Sept-01-2013) and you can also check pokemon.com for the latest video game requirements for the Autumn VG Regionals.

The Pokémon Autumn Regional Championships will be the final tournaments featuring Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2 before transitioning to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. This tournament will be run using Age Modified Swiss (single game) pairings and a cut to a Top 8 (attendance allowing) single elimination finals. Single elimination finals will be run as best 2 out of 3.
Swiss rounds means that you get to play every round even if you lose every game. The first round you are paired at random. Round 2 (and later rounds) you are paired to battle someone with a similiar match score to you. So, for example, if you won round one, then in round two you will play someone who also won round one.

Three Age Groups
(Players are grouped so that they only play people in their age group)
Junior Division: Born in 2003 or later
Senior Division: Born in 1999, 2000, 2001, or 2002
Masters Division: Born in 1998 or earlier

Have your team ready
Format: The Modified format is the standard tournament format for PLAY! Pokémon video game events. Details will be posted here and on Pokemon.com
For the Autumn 2013 Regionals the Modified format for the 2013 season will use the following restrictions:
Only Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2 Game Cards are permitted for use.
Players may use Pokémon from the National Pokédex, from No. 001–649, that are caught in the game, transferred from a previous Pokémon title, or received at an official event or distribution

For a list of restrictions for building your team: go to http://philadelphiapokemon.com/vgregionals.html

There are some great prizes!

I will make my best effort to go to this event, This will be my 2nd to last year in the Seniors division, and I'm done for once I get to Masters. Wish me luck, and I will try to meet you guys there! :)

How late do these things usually go? I need to buy Amtrak tickets.
they usually last pretty late into the day, depending on how far you get. I think the finals last year ended around 8-10, but it definitely depends on your division and how coordinated the organizers are.

I won't be able to compete, but I'll probably swing by before work since I live in Philly. It's always cool to meet some new Smogoners. If you live nearby and have a chance, I definitely recommend playing. VGC events are a lot of fun, even if you don't know the meta ^.^

Is there gonna be a singles side event by any chance?
Since no one else replied, I'm going to assume there's no organized event. But if Smogoners want to get together (during a break? are there breaks?) and have a Standard (Singles OU) mini-tournament, I will take responsibility for organizing it.

Since no one else replied, I'm going to assume there's no organized event. But if Smogoners want to get together (during a break? are there breaks?) and have a Standard (Singles OU) mini-tournament, I will take responsibility for organizing it.
Thanks! I was just assuming it was a no since nobody answered.

I'm here. I'm the beared guy wearing a shirt wearing "I <squiggle> Unparseable Symbols"

Will post again when I decide what to do about the single side event.

so Masters doesn't start till 9:30a. If people want to battle before then, come find me. I'm at an end-table one away from the registration table.

Went 5-3 as well (placed 51 out of 170).

About what I would expect from my Showdown rating.

I'm still here (sitting behind a table by the exit in the corner) if anyone wants to come by and say hi / have a singles battle / whatever. Met Biosci (and his mom)--that was cool, even though he had no idea who I was at first.

Sorry there was no singles side event. I asked the tournament coordinator for permission, and she told me no.

Just wondering if anyone saw me. I don't know what any of you look like so didn't really talk to anyone. I had a yellow "Adventure Time" shirt on and I had a Blue DSi. Also, my team was Politoed, Jellicent, Thundurus, Metagross, Amoonguss, and Kabutops if any of you faced me. Don't worry, it's all good. My dad was getting bored anyway.

I went 3-5. I was pretty tired, and probably could have done better, but I enjoyed the experience. It was a lot of fun and everyone was friendly. I'll be sure to attend future events. :toast:

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Met Biosci (and his mom)--that was cool, even though he had no idea who I was at first.
I don't know who you're talking about, but I didn't have any of my parents at the event. I just couldn't hear the name you were saying at first, but it was cool to meet you!

Biosci re: your mom (haha) -- that's weird. I clearly got confused somehow. Did someone you were with bring their parent?

And yes, officially and for the record, I was mumbling my name, which is why he had no idea who I was.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While this was the best run VGC I've attended in all these years, my record sucked so I'm glad to finally put my 5th gen VGC team to rest. While it was great to see the people I've known, for those of you that might have recognized me, I oftentime switched baseball caps between either the Boston Red Sox or the St. Louis Cardinals like in my avatar. Lots of bad luck went down in my matches, even one of the ones I won in which my latios was frozen for infinite turns it seems until it fainted. The only match I saved was the following from round 3 vs Stephen Polin with his blissey/shuckle lead:

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=search&vid=&bid=41-55344-76037

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)