Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well I'm pretty new to lifting, and I've heard a lot of "bad stuff" if you will regarding the deadlift. With other big lifts like squat and bench I have a spotter and assisted machine. I was super looking forward to doing them, but they seem very injury prone and right now my number one priority is not getting injured. I tried doing a few on a very light weight but I could tell my form wasn't up to par, and I could see myself throwing my back out. I might revisit them later but for now I'm not doing them
By assisted machine, do you mean the smith machine? While there's a time and a place for it, I strongly suggest not using those for your squats and bench press for two reasons.

1. Your stabiliser muscles won't get stronger
2. Not your natural plane of motion, so more of a risk of injury than you'd think.

When my gyms are open, I always train without a spotter and while it's harder to go for one-rep maxes in this manner (at this point, I ask a random in the gym to spot me lol), you can safely bail out of bench and squats without getting pinned a lot easier than you think. Especially at the weights you're using. Plus you can sorta gauge it and re-rack when you think you're done.

Fair enough on the deadlifts - they don't deserve the bad rep they get, but I totally get the fear of injury. I think that part of your routine should be doing them with just the bar + the lightest bumper plates you can find (so the bar is elevated off the ground) and just practise the technique over and over and over, until you're confident that you won't hurt yourself doing it.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone! My brother has to pass specific fitness tests by June, so he and I have decided to truly motivate and dedicate ourselves to the gym and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I hate to say it but I really have packed some extra weight, so I'm really excited to start seeing progress. Today we found out our personal maxes on each exercise we plan on completing, and I have some stats to use as a reference point for our work outs. Through Monday to Saturday we plan on doing cardio every morning. Cardio is going to consist of a 4k run, 10mins rowing, 15k cycle, and 15 length swims (25 meter pool). We plan on doing cardio in the morning, coming home, eating healthy, and then going back later the same day to then lift weights which will be 4 times a week. Monday is Back and Biceps, Tuesday is Legs, Wednesday is Chest and Triceps, Thursday is off (still cardio in the morning), and Friday is Shoulders and Abs (Saturday also being cardio only and Sunday is a full rest day).
Bench = 70kg
Lat Pull Down = 140kg
Leg Press = 180kg
Chest Press = 65kg
Seated Row = 130kg
Squat = 110kg
This was my first time stepping into a gym for weight training, so I was pleasantly surprised with some of the numbers I was putting up. I didn't list every exercise, but these are the "main" ones if you will. The numbers could be anything now, its just important that I'm actively improving on them. My legs seem to be my strongest, while my grip strength did let me down when doing shrugs and calf raises. We plan on doing 80% of our maxes for 6 reps / 6 sets (its gonna be brutal...).

Just a small little post to talk about my plans regarding the gym, I'm very excited to see. We start weight training Monday, and hopefully cardio before November (bro has some stuff to sort out with his knee before we can start). :swole:
Little update to this. Still going very strong. Diet is super clean, and haven't missed a session yet. We did our first cardio session, and it was brutal. I have some numbers, and we altered the routine slightly due to time and difficulty.

4k run in 36mins
8k cycle 26mins
1k rowing in 5mins
And 11 lengths of swimming (25m) in 15mins

We considering running and cycling 30mins instead of a set distance but not sure. Either way its going well

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yo. On the 19th (couple of days ago) it had been 1 month since I started working out. The gyms closing were a bummer, but I'm lucky enough to have some good equipment at home. My home workouts consist of a 45min cycle and 4x8 press ups, pull ups (assisted), and leg raises. My ability to cycle has increased drastically, my personal best being 32.3k in 45mins. I do this routine 6 days a week with having Sundays off. In a month I lost 17 pound! Feel much healthier already and have no plans on stopping. I have taken progress photos, but don't feel comfy sharing them on here (yet).

Hope everyone is keeping well during these strange times :heart:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Meanwhile, this is week 3 of my gyms being open after they were shut for 8 months (barring a 2-week break in July).

My powerlifting coaches have already given me a bunch of help on technique for my big three lifts (squat, bench and deadlift) and I'm so excited to see how my lifting will go in 2021!

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Been 2 months since I started weight loss / getting healthier. My workouts have mostly been at the gym, but with a close family member catching Covid19 I've had to do my last few work outs at home

Some stats that I'm proud to have achieved this month are as follows:
Run 10k
Run 8k in > 1hr (just over 5mph)

I'm also now able to rep my 1RM compared to when I started. I feel a lot stronger and healthier. Currently I've lost 31lbs, but for this month alone I lost 14lbs. Things are going well, but I expect the progress to gradually slow. Hope everyone is keeping well!

Last edited:
I'm on the second to last week of couch to 5k after being plagued with injuries since about February, and it feels so great to have that freedom of movement again.

I've also been doing some body weight exercises at home to help with running and because I don't really feel like going to gyms right now even though they're open where I live. I much prefer the ease of working out from home so I'm looking to buy some basic strength training equipment like a pull up station and some kettle bells. I'm not looking to get ripped or anything, just improve my overall body strength.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, long time since I've posted in here. Hope you're all doing well. I want to post the fitness milestones I'm most proud of from 2020 and my goals for 2021. this post is part brag, part accountability. it'd be really cool to see everyone else's achievements, reflections, and goals too. I see Stallion's already posted his. Go get that 300lb bench bro :)

2020 achievements: - lost 20lb and saw abs for the first time in 5 years - got a sumo deadlift 1rm of 315lb - got a chin-up 1rm of +80lb - got an overhead press 1rm of 115lb - ran a treadmill mile in 5:19, outdoor mile in 5:52 - set some PRs in bench and squat but they're not as brag-worthy

2021 goals (these are totally audacious LOL but gotta aim high): - lean bulk to 140lb - deadlift 3x bodyweight - OHP 1x bodyweight - 1-arm chin-up - bench 2 plates - run a 5:30 mile outdoors - hold a front lever for 3 seconds

My gym access was pretty sporadic in 2020, as I'm sure everyone's was. My biggest recommendation to people: get a pull-up bar and some nice adjustable gymnastics rings. Once you're pretty strong, get a dipping belt and some weights to hang from it. You can get a nearly complete workout with just that equipment, using these as main movements: - pull-ups, bodyweight rows - push-ups, dips - squat and lunge variations - hanging leg raises

I did that for quite a while. Heading into the new year, it will be at least 3-4 months before I get access to a gym again, so I'm hoping weighted ring dips will translate to bench and OHP decently well. I will report back, no doubt.

Stallion

Tree Young
Hey everyone, long time since I've posted in here. Hope you're all doing well. I want to post the fitness milestones I'm most proud of from 2020 and my goals for 2021. this post is part brag, part accountability. it'd be really cool to see everyone else's achievements, reflections, and goals too. I see Stallion's already posted his. Go get that 300lb bench bro :)

2020 achievements: - lost 20lb and saw abs for the first time in 5 years - got a sumo deadlift 1rm of 315lb - got a chin-up 1rm of +80lb - got an overhead press 1rm of 115lb - ran a treadmill mile in 5:19, outdoor mile in 5:52 - set some PRs in bench and squat but they're not as brag-worthy

2021 goals (these are totally audacious LOL but gotta aim high): - lean bulk to 140lb - deadlift 3x bodyweight - OHP 1x bodyweight - 1-arm chin-up - bench 2 plates - run a 5:30 mile outdoors - hold a front lever for 3 seconds

My gym access was pretty sporadic in 2020, as I'm sure everyone's was. My biggest recommendation to people: get a pull-up bar and some nice adjustable gymnastics rings. Once you're pretty strong, get a dipping belt and some weights to hang from it. You can get a nearly complete workout with just that equipment, using these as main movements: - pull-ups, bodyweight rows - push-ups, dips - squat and lunge variations - hanging leg raises

I did that for quite a while. Heading into the new year, it will be at least 3-4 months before I get access to a gym again, so I'm hoping weighted ring dips will translate to bench and OHP decently well. I will report back, no doubt.
Speaking of that 300lb bench...

132.5kg/291.5lb bench press PR. Featuring a near miss at 137.5kg/302.5lb.

http://instagr.am/p/CJhkKQZBwUA/
My gym is shutting forever as of yesterday, so a bunch of us went rogue with our programming (I'm nowhere near a "peak phase" for example) and went for PRs on our favourite lifts.

That 132.5kg flew up and if I didn't misgroove the 137.5kg, I reckon I had it too.

A 3 plate bench is so damn close!

And I reckon I could get 300lb sooner rather than later. That near-miss was done on an almost empty stomach, without caffeine, and with shitty amounts of sleep due to my new puppy.

Speaking of that 300lb bench...

132.5kg/291.5lb bench press PR. Featuring a near miss at 137.5kg/302.5lb.

http://instagr.am/p/CJhkKQZBwUA/
My gym is shutting forever as of yesterday, so a bunch of us went rogue with our programming (I'm nowhere near a "peak phase" for example) and went for PRs on our favourite lifts.

That 132.5kg flew up and if I didn't misgroove the 137.5kg, I reckon I had it too.

A 3 plate bench is so damn close!

And I reckon I could get 300lb sooner rather than later. That near-miss was done on an almost empty stomach, without caffeine, and with shitty amounts of sleep due to my new puppy.
Dang 290 is ridiculous man props to you. Hopefully the new gym situation is figured out asap but a pretty good note to leave on I imagine? And especially knowing you attempted it in a little worse shape than you wanted, you probably can walk away pretty happy with that.

Im currently hoping to hit something in the 260ish range consistently before the midway point of 2021. Ive been lucky enough to avoid a plateau with my current programming so if I can keep increasing in weight every 3 weeks to a month I should be able to hit that goal comfortably.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
Finished my second week of Couch to 5k the other day - really enjoying having Michael Johnson in my ears when I'm running! I'm a pretty avid rower (Americans may know the sport as "crew"?) but I'm working through a knee injury atm, which is where the C25K programme comes in - my physio recommended it to start strengthening the knee up again. I'm pleased with how it's going so far from a recovery POV, but I've definitely lost a lot of fitness - going from 10+ sessions a week to approximately 4 (depending on whatever else I can motivate myself to do outside of the runs...) has had a noticeable impact. I've not been able to get into the gym for a while with Covid shenanigans & that's definitely showing, too.

My mantra throughout's been "it's all for the knee", which has made it remarkably easy to justify the training cutback, even when I should really be stepping it up a bit (lol).

Hoping to get back on the rowing machine (aka the ergometer/erg/instrument of torture) in a serious capacity soon, but that's entirely dependent on my ability to motivate myself. I'm a ridiculous procrastinator & lockdown training slowly wore away at my ability to force myself onto the erg. I honestly think if I wasn't doing the C25K stuff I'd be doing basically nothing rn, which is a depressing state of affairs for me.

I won't even be able to train with the uni boat club when the semester starts - the current tier system means I won't be able to go into Edinburgh for probably quite some time (outside of classes) & I'm not bold enough to break the rules, so water sessions (the fun part of rowing!) are a long way off yet.

Anyway, that's been a really long-winded, personal way to say that Couch to 5k's been great so far & I would recommend it to anyone who's unsure about getting into/back into running. Looking forward to Week 3 - and beyond!

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Yoo, this is a thread I've lurked in from time and time for a while, and it's always been pretty motivating to see the vastly different goals everyone has and the progress they've made. On top of that kind of supportive vibe has always been super cool to me so keep up the good stuff bros.

I've never made a post here myself, but most of my good friends on here can attest to how much I love fitness, lifting more specifically. Always just been a great outlet and a way to make me feel more productive in my spare time. I 'started' lifting around my freshman year of high school, although it's kind of hard to really call it starting out considering I wasn't consistent in any capacity and my form was naturally pretty bad on a lot of stuff. As a super skinny kid who usually worked out with my older brother and his varsity football friend, being the weakest one by far was super frustrating for me and I'd try a bit too hard to compensate when it came to the amount of weight I'd try on whatever exercise and all that. I did develop some baseline strength, but that phase of a couple years culminated in me really fucking up one of my rotator cuffs, mostly because my bench form was super bad and all that mattered to me was the numbers.

I'd say I started taking this truly 'seriously' in my senior year or so once I had recovered a bit, and by that I mean going to work out consistently like 5-6 days a week. Between then and now, where I'm a senior in college, there were a bunch of bulks and cuts to get to where I am today. When I say bulks and cuts, that's a pretty loose term because until recently I really had no idea what I was doing nutrition wise, and that definitely showed. I wouldn't track anything so I'd be eating way over or way under without much of an understanding in any capacity beyond raw protein totals. Still, with enough consistency for all these years and an alright routine, I did make some decent progress, but it's been night and day compared to years before when it comes to this cut and bulk. I really can't stress enough how much tracking eating helps out, whether it's getting the right amount of raw calories, looking more closely at macronutrients, or simply deterring you away from bad food options. I know I know it's tedious, but I highly recommend it.

Just for some background, the reason I started tracking things in the first place was because last year I went fucking crazy when it came to getting raw calories on my last bulk. Large pizzas, triple cheeseburgers, etc. etc. all on a consistent basis. I guess it's worth noting that I'm 6'4" / 193 CM tall, so naturally with some muscle, I was pretty heavy too. As a result, my caloric maintenance threshold is super high compared to a regular person, especially with the activity level that comes with it. Putting on weight had always been super hard for me because of my previously crazy metabolism too, so I always valued those raw calories a bit too much. I want to say at the end of summer 2019, I was around 205 lbs., which is pretty normal. Bulk lasted for a while, eating loads of garbage, and by February I was right around 230 lbs. and my god it was not a good 230. My main goal through it was to bench 300 lbs, which when I started out, I never thought would be even remotely possible, since the first time I ever tried, my max was 85 lbs at age 14 or so. But yeah, I ended up losing like all definition and my strength stagnated a lot unsurprisingly. My max on bench at the end was still 285 lbs, a weight I hit at around 215 lbs the year before, so it was incredibly frustrating.

This is already way longer than I was expecting, but ugh. Long story short is: I used the quarantine as a time to develop some better eating habits and put more of an emphasis on endurance training when gyms were closed down. I didn't have much of a choice ofc since at a certain point that's what body weight training purely becomes to some extent, but it was a massive blessing in disguise. I did an absolute fuck ton of pushups and ended up dropping 30 lbs over the next 7 months or so. Gyms opened up again somewhere in there and my strength barely fell off at all which came as a big surprise to me. Giving your body a long rest from those heavier lifts can be hard to accept, but it was definitely a positive when looking back along with the extra endurance from all those pushups.

It really was the best I had ever felt, and that aspect didn't come as much of a shock. Though, more than anything I wanted to have a truly calculated bulk where I could go for that 300 lb mark on bench again, without shoveling garbage in my mouth in the process. My god whoda thunk that it would really help out. I've been eating just under 4000 calories for the last 5ish months, gaining 20ish lbs back, but also gained a lot of strength in the process and not gaining *too* much bodyfat. So yeah, I'm sitting just under 220 lbs currently, and ended up hitting 300 lbs on bench in mid December at around 217 or so (compared to benching 285 at 230 body weight the year before). It meant a lot to me after all that frustration and re-evaluation along the way, especially since it was the only real strength goal I've ever had. Well, aside from the 315 lbs I'm reeeeally hoping to hit by the end of this program I started up 4 weeks ago. Part of the reason I started this program though was I started to develop some nagging pain in one of my bicep areas. I wanted to focus a bit more on endurance after going so heavy so consistently for so long, and despite it working, it was definitely my biggest mistake this bulk. However, I'm feeling good again and this program, which mainly pushed me to do some 'easier' weights till fail usually for 4 sets, has helped me out a lot in getting back into it as it starts to ramp up again.

Anyway enough rambling, cool thread sirs. I can't stress enough how much of a revelation relatively cleaner and calculated eating has been for me and naturally I'd imagine it would have the same impact on anyone else here that it's been a big hurdle for.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
http://instagr.am/p/CMRNZpUBm3s/
I wish Instagram would embed like YouTube, but alas.

Haven't posted anything that isn't a 1RM for awhile.

But this was my first session with my new Rogue Ohio Powerlifting Belt, and I'm pretty happy with how quickly I'm progressing on trap bar deadlifts.

2 reps, 192.5 kg / 424.4 lbs, RPE 7.5 I thiiiink (this means I definitely had two and possibly had 3 reps in the tank, it felt so cruisy that it's hard for me to tell).

Guess I'll find out what my limits are soon, as my first ever Powerlifting meet is on June 6!

Hows everyone else going with their fitness goals?

Last edited:
Completely injured myself, got costochondritis and other conditions due to lifting too heavy in relation to my body mass and I paid the price. I cant even lift 10kgs with my ribs becoming inflammed and cant even do boxing for prelonged periods. Really sad. Im going on high doses of vitamin d to see if that may help.

Your posts are all great and seems that alot of people have made great progress so grats! Very motivating

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Yoo, this is a thread I've lurked in from time and time for a while, and it's always been pretty motivating to see the vastly different goals everyone has and the progress they've made. On top of that kind of supportive vibe has always been super cool to me so keep up the good stuff bros.

I've never made a post here myself, but most of my good friends on here can attest to how much I love fitness, lifting more specifically. Always just been a great outlet and a way to make me feel more productive in my spare time. I 'started' lifting around my freshman year of high school, although it's kind of hard to really call it starting out considering I wasn't consistent in any capacity and my form was naturally pretty bad on a lot of stuff. As a super skinny kid who usually worked out with my older brother and his varsity football friend, being the weakest one by far was super frustrating for me and I'd try a bit too hard to compensate when it came to the amount of weight I'd try on whatever exercise and all that. I did develop some baseline strength, but that phase of a couple years culminated in me really fucking up one of my rotator cuffs, mostly because my bench form was super bad and all that mattered to me was the numbers.

I'd say I started taking this truly 'seriously' in my senior year or so once I had recovered a bit, and by that I mean going to work out consistently like 5-6 days a week. Between then and now, where I'm a senior in college, there were a bunch of bulks and cuts to get to where I am today. When I say bulks and cuts, that's a pretty loose term because until recently I really had no idea what I was doing nutrition wise, and that definitely showed. I wouldn't track anything so I'd be eating way over or way under without much of an understanding in any capacity beyond raw protein totals. Still, with enough consistency for all these years and an alright routine, I did make some decent progress, but it's been night and day compared to years before when it comes to this cut and bulk. I really can't stress enough how much tracking eating helps out, whether it's getting the right amount of raw calories, looking more closely at macronutrients, or simply deterring you away from bad food options. I know I know it's tedious, but I highly recommend it.

Just for some background, the reason I started tracking things in the first place was because last year I went fucking crazy when it came to getting raw calories on my last bulk. Large pizzas, triple cheeseburgers, etc. etc. all on a consistent basis. I guess it's worth noting that I'm 6'4" / 193 CM tall, so naturally with some muscle, I was pretty heavy too. As a result, my caloric maintenance threshold is super high compared to a regular person, especially with the activity level that comes with it. Putting on weight had always been super hard for me because of my previously crazy metabolism too, so I always valued those raw calories a bit too much. I want to say at the end of summer 2019, I was around 205 lbs., which is pretty normal. Bulk lasted for a while, eating loads of garbage, and by February I was right around 230 lbs. and my god it was not a good 230. My main goal through it was to bench 300 lbs, which when I started out, I never thought would be even remotely possible, since the first time I ever tried, my max was 85 lbs at age 14 or so. But yeah, I ended up losing like all definition and my strength stagnated a lot unsurprisingly. My max on bench at the end was still 285 lbs, a weight I hit at around 215 lbs the year before, so it was incredibly frustrating.

This is already way longer than I was expecting, but ugh. Long story short is: I used the quarantine as a time to develop some better eating habits and put more of an emphasis on endurance training when gyms were closed down. I didn't have much of a choice ofc since at a certain point that's what body weight training purely becomes to some extent, but it was a massive blessing in disguise. I did an absolute fuck ton of pushups and ended up dropping 30 lbs over the next 7 months or so. Gyms opened up again somewhere in there and my strength barely fell off at all which came as a big surprise to me. Giving your body a long rest from those heavier lifts can be hard to accept, but it was definitely a positive when looking back along with the extra endurance from all those pushups.

It really was the best I had ever felt, and that aspect didn't come as much of a shock. Though, more than anything I wanted to have a truly calculated bulk where I could go for that 300 lb mark on bench again, without shoveling garbage in my mouth in the process. My god whoda thunk that it would really help out. I've been eating just under 4000 calories for the last 5ish months, gaining 20ish lbs back, but also gained a lot of strength in the process and not gaining *too* much bodyfat. So yeah, I'm sitting just under 220 lbs currently, and ended up hitting 300 lbs on bench in mid December at around 217 or so (compared to benching 285 at 230 body weight the year before). It meant a lot to me after all that frustration and re-evaluation along the way, especially since it was the only real strength goal I've ever had. Well, aside from the 315 lbs I'm reeeeally hoping to hit by the end of this program I started up 4 weeks ago. Part of the reason I started this program though was I started to develop some nagging pain in one of my bicep areas. I wanted to focus a bit more on endurance after going so heavy so consistently for so long, and despite it working, it was definitely my biggest mistake this bulk. However, I'm feeling good again and this program, which mainly pushed me to do some 'easier' weights till fail usually for 4 sets, has helped me out a lot in getting back into it as it starts to ramp up again.

Anyway enough rambling, cool thread sirs. I can't stress enough how much of a revelation relatively cleaner and calculated eating has been for me and naturally I'd imagine it would have the same impact on anyone else here that it's been a big hurdle for.
Alright bit of an update on all of this. For starters, I ended up not ever getting 300 lbs on bench since that one time I did in December, mostly due to that nagging pain I mentioned before. I just never felt 100% on bench since then for whatever reason but shit happens I guess. Another thing was despite tracking my eating the entire way pretty much, I could not get myself to weigh above the low 220 lbs again. Nothing really switched from what I did on the way up, which had me eating just under 4000 calories a day, so it was pretty weird to me. After a couple months of stagnation in that weight range, I just took a 'fuck it' month or so and didn't track much at all, generally eating more and less cleanly, knowing cutting season was around the corner and rewarding myself a bit. In spite of that, I still couldn't get above 222 lbs or so on a consistent basis. It's fine I guess. My strength was bound to taper off at some point and I did make a lot of progress, especially in the pound-for-pound strength department. With that said, I never expected my weight to taper off so sharply but whatever I took it as a sign.

Before starting my cut a bit more than three weeks ago, I wasn't super structured or anything and just did what I wanted, whether it was eating like I mentioned before or in the gym itself. Incline dumbbell press has always been my favorite exercise, and ironically it felt completely normal, unlike bench pressing, so I stuck with that and really tried to push myself in that area. I spent every push day for 2-3 weeks starting out with incline dumbbells trying to one-up myself in strength, whether it was moving up in weight or going for an additional rep off my former PR. Given how I mentioned pushing myself like that on bench presumably resulted in those little injuries, it was probably not the best decision objectively, but it was a lot of fun with my favorite exercise. The other key difference was that the rep ranges were naturally much higher than consistently going for a heavy single or double on bench. Like I said, it's been my favorite exercise for a while so my strength there was already pretty solid. I want to say my best set ever was something like 8 reps of 100s, but I had never attempted to go above that and generally I was already somewhat worn out from starting out with bench. So yeah, I want to say like 2 months ago I got 2-3 reps of 110s on my first attempt with them and gradually worked my way up from there, getting 7 reps of 110s by the end of this little run, easily easily my best lift ever on any exercise. Anyway that was a really enjoyable / encouraging way to end the bulk.

So yeah, I started trying to cut weight 3ish weeks ago and so far it's been much less painless than I expected. Despite dropping my calorie intake from 3800ish to 2600, I haven't been exceedingly hungry at any point and the transition has been weirdly natural. I know it probably isn't the smartest thing to make such a stark transition in eating so fast, but I mean it's working and I did let myself fuck around for a month so whatever. I've lost 5 lbs already, which presumably is just some degree of water weight, but I think I'll be fine with that kind of loss rate or maybe I'll cut back a bit in the future. In any case, cutting down from 220 instead of 230 last bulk should be much easier / way less time consuming so that's nice. As for goals, as per usual I don't have anything super specific in mind, but I do want to try to drop my bodyfat to a point where I could see if something like men's physique or some shit could be a possibility in the future. It has always been in the back of my mind, but my genetics aren't anything crazy to my knowledge and I don't plan on taking any enhancements at any point so we'll see I suppose. Aside from that, just want to continue improving on pound-for-pound strength and cutting should help with just that come next bulk.

In the past I wanted to be the biggest, strongest, fastest, most athletic. Now I am way more interested in Biohacking/immortailty/life extension/antiaging. Being big and strong is not good for longevity, I would actually argue it can actually accelerate aging through the MTOR pathway. My goal now is too live long enough to live forever/reach longevity escape velocity. I am going to start tracking many health variables, such as sleep, heart rate variability, blood sugar and tons of other things in blood to get them at the best levels. Also going to do more extended fasts, and take Metformin among other things.

Stallion

Tree Young
Competed in my first ever meet over the weekend, a novice meet, and after being so nervous that I was shaking after my opening squat, I hit PBs in all 3 lifts.

http://instagr.am/p/CRIwDZ9hKKZ/
Squat: 185kg / 407 lb

Bench: 127.5kg / 281 lb (I've benched more tng, but that's a paused pb)

Deadlift: 200kg / 440 lb

My coach was conservative with attempt selection too, so I genuinely think I had an extra 5kg on both squat and dead, and maybe another 2.5kg on bench.

Sitting at 95kg body weight and not far off the numbers I need for next year to qualify for nationals in the 93kg class. I need +25kg to my meet total before the middle of 2022, and like I said, I reckon I had another 15kg in me on the day, so it's probably closer to needing an extra 10kg in reality!

I start working with a nutritionist this week because I need to get rid of the extra fat and maximise the "good weight".

MAMP

MAMP!
since i moved out, having to buy my own groceries has made it way easier to eat healthier bc i have all the control over what foods are in the house. ive also been going for a run most morning, 2.8ks around the neighbourhood, and as a result i have lost a bit of weight — not a huge amount, but noticeable. feeling really good about my body atm

Pak

vortex
Alright bit of an update on all of this. For starters, I ended up not ever getting 300 lbs on bench since that one time I did in December, mostly due to that nagging pain I mentioned before. I just never felt 100% on bench since then for whatever reason but shit happens I guess. Another thing was despite tracking my eating the entire way pretty much, I could not get myself to weigh above the low 220 lbs again. Nothing really switched from what I did on the way up, which had me eating just under 4000 calories a day, so it was pretty weird to me. After a couple months of stagnation in that weight range, I just took a 'fuck it' month or so and didn't track much at all, generally eating more and less cleanly, knowing cutting season was around the corner and rewarding myself a bit. In spite of that, I still couldn't get above 222 lbs or so on a consistent basis. It's fine I guess. My strength was bound to taper off at some point and I did make a lot of progress, especially in the pound-for-pound strength department. With that said, I never expected my weight to taper off so sharply but whatever I took it as a sign.

Before starting my cut a bit more than three weeks ago, I wasn't super structured or anything and just did what I wanted, whether it was eating like I mentioned before or in the gym itself. Incline dumbbell press has always been my favorite exercise, and ironically it felt completely normal, unlike bench pressing, so I stuck with that and really tried to push myself in that area. I spent every push day for 2-3 weeks starting out with incline dumbbells trying to one-up myself in strength, whether it was moving up in weight or going for an additional rep off my former PR. Given how I mentioned pushing myself like that on bench presumably resulted in those little injuries, it was probably not the best decision objectively, but it was a lot of fun with my favorite exercise. The other key difference was that the rep ranges were naturally much higher than consistently going for a heavy single or double on bench. Like I said, it's been my favorite exercise for a while so my strength there was already pretty solid. I want to say my best set ever was something like 8 reps of 100s, but I had never attempted to go above that and generally I was already somewhat worn out from starting out with bench. So yeah, I want to say like 2 months ago I got 2-3 reps of 110s on my first attempt with them and gradually worked my way up from there, getting 7 reps of 110s by the end of this little run, easily easily my best lift ever on any exercise. Anyway that was a really enjoyable / encouraging way to end the bulk.

So yeah, I started trying to cut weight 3ish weeks ago and so far it's been much less painless than I expected. Despite dropping my calorie intake from 3800ish to 2600, I haven't been exceedingly hungry at any point and the transition has been weirdly natural. I know it probably isn't the smartest thing to make such a stark transition in eating so fast, but I mean it's working and I did let myself fuck around for a month so whatever. I've lost 5 lbs already, which presumably is just some degree of water weight, but I think I'll be fine with that kind of loss rate or maybe I'll cut back a bit in the future. In any case, cutting down from 220 instead of 230 last bulk should be much easier / way less time consuming so that's nice. As for goals, as per usual I don't have anything super specific in mind, but I do want to try to drop my bodyfat to a point where I could see if something like men's physique or some shit could be a possibility in the future. It has always been in the back of my mind, but my genetics aren't anything crazy to my knowledge and I don't plan on taking any enhancements at any point so we'll see I suppose. Aside from that, just want to continue improving on pound-for-pound strength and cutting should help with just that come next bulk.
I ended up cutting down to 201 or so with some slight fluctuation before starting to bulk up again about a month ago. Strength honestly maintained better than I could have hoped. I got to rest whatever nagging stuff I had by the end of last bulk, and there wasn't any horrendous drop off among the lifts that I cared about, mainly being bench and incline dumbbell press, which of course is always the worry if you drop 20ish lbs of bodyweight. At the lowest my bench was still 280ish, which compared to my 285 max when I was 230 lbs about 1.5 years prior, had me v happy with the development in pound for pound strength in that time span.

After a while, naturally I just started feeling more sluggish and lifting while knowing you're just trying to maintain strength as best you can rather than breaking through old PRs frankly gets more boring at a certain point. I was happy with the point I got to bodyfat wise, but I definitely started to feel relatively skinny and weak in my mind, which unfortunately can be part of dropping whatever relatively significant amount of weight. Still, like I said, I was satisfied with the strength that I kept and was optimistic for my strength goals moving forward on the way back up. The most pressing one of course is that aforementioned 315 lb bench press which alluded me last time as my body started to break down from lifting heavy too often.

So yeah, the bulk has been great so far. My calories are sitting around 3450 per day, compared to the 3800 or so last time, so I could minimize some of the fat gain that accumulates while not rushing into anything crazy. It's a marathon after all and its obviously kept me full and given me the energy necessary in the gym. After some expected water weight gains out the gate, I'm currently around 207 lbs, hoping to add around .5 lbs of bodyweight per week moving forward. With that said, the progress so far has been better than I ever could've expected. Yesterday I matched my previous bench max of 300 lbs, while roughly 11-12 lbs lighter than I was the ONE time I got it last bulk, so I'm ridiculously excited to see what's possible moving forward. I also incline pressed 12 reps of 100 lb dumbbells, which is also a personal best at a much lighter weight than I was at the previous peak.

I have switched up training methods a bit on the process. Last bulk, when I was on my strength gain high, I'd work up to heavy sets basically every time I was in the gym. I knew in the moment it wasn't the smartest thing to do like I've already talked about, but it was working at the time so I ran with it, and then naturally ran into some minor injuries as a result. This time around I've been taking a page out of my friend's book and just doing a simple heavy day and light day for each muscle group on a weekly basis. My endurance was kinda shit too as expected so it's helped a good amount with that. Lastly, another thing that likely played into my nagging pains was overdoing it with exercise selection and sheer volume. Lately, I've been keeping it as conservative as possible, keeping it only a few core exercises for whatever muscle group, and I feel just as good as I did day 1, even as I've ramped up the weight more and more.

Aside from just wanting to share some of the stuff that's been going on, I also really wanted to reiterate how important nutrition is with all of this. I touched on it before, but these last 1.5 years or so have been wayyy more efficient than I ever was while eating loads of garbage on a regular basis. I knew it was always my weakest area, but I really did underestimate how important it was all that time. Tracking calories and macros can be super tedious, but it gets easier and easier the more you do it on a regular basis, and it also is a good natural dissuasion from eating too poorly in the process. I'll still have my 1 or 2 cheat days a week, but it really has been a revelation for me, as obvious as it may sound. I know not everyone has the same goals when it comes to lifting or fitness in general, but I figured I'd hit on it again. Another thing is my sleep has been better than ever. For so long I'd sleep like 5 hours and feel like shit all the time, which both hurt my performance in the gym and also limited recovery time. It can be so easy to ignore in that regard, but it's definitely been a big change for the better too.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
I've been working with a nutritionist for a month and a half. Dropped 2.8kg / 6.1lb in that time and currently weigh 92.65kg / 204.3lbs, which doesn't sound like a crazy amount, but that's about a pound a week.

My squat belt now needs to be done up a notch extra (I was struggling to get it in at 3 notches, now I can comfortably do 4!), my strength hasn't dropped at all, and I'm getting those top abs back that went into hiding for a while.

I'm doing this because I want to be more competitive in my powerlifting weight class (93kg / 205lb) due to a better ratio of muscle to fat, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm loving the fact that this is the best I've looked since before COVID.

Just took a phenotypical age test and it said I was only 14 years haha. I am surprised because I really havent been the healthiest in my 20s so far so that is pretty good baseline but the goal for next year is to be 10 years old phenotypically. Chronological age is much less important when it comes to health than biological age. Going to do my first longer fast of at least 7 days and see how it affects my biomarkers.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Realized that the bar that you squat with is actually more like 45 lbs, so I'm actually within about 20 pounds of squatting repeated reps of my actual body weight (~160 lbs) since I'm doing reps at around 140. Poggers

(I could probably easily do a single rep at body weight, but I'm trying to get those reps, you know?)

Stallion

Tree Young
Less than 3 weeks after tearing my hamstring, I competed in a powerlifting meet.

Despite cutting 6 kgs for this meet from my last one, I actually pbed on my squat and equalled my deadlift pb. Weirdly, my bench is what let me down haha, I was 2.5kg short of last meet despite absolutely smoking bench up until a month out.

Oh and I qualified for drug tested nationals which is pretty cool!

Total: 525kg
Bodyweight: 89.6kg
Squat: 200kg
Paused Bench: 125kg
Deadlift: 200kg

http://instagr.am/p/CXYRwTBPw4I/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)