Physical Scarf Wailord (A lot of text)

Format: AG

Overview

Wailord is well known for having interesting potential with Scarf Water Spout alongside coverage moves like Ice Beam and Hidden Power Grass/Electric, but something that isn’t touched up on enough is Wailord’s decent physical movepool. It contains several viable options that make it surprisingly effective in some situations against pokemon in higher tiers, especially combined with it’s high hp stat and many ways to make your opponents life worse with it’s decent abilities.

Details:

Pokemon: Wailord

Item: Choice Scarf

Ability: Water Veil

Move 1: Waterfall/Liquidation
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Zen Headbutt/Bounce
Move 4: Iron Head/Heavy Slam

EVs: 252 Attackk/4 Sp. Defense/252 Speed.

Nature: Jolly

Explanation

Waterfall and Liquidation are both very reliable stab water type moves with Waterfall having a 20% chance to flinch being able to assist Wailord’s longevity, while Liquidation is slightly stronger and can barely OHKO a Volcarona without a focus sash, in addition to having a 20% chance to lower the target’s defense by 1 stage to assist Wailord’s damage output. Earthquake is a fantastic way to cover the electric type weakness Wailord possesses while providing solid coverage for many other troubling types with high defense. Zen Headbutt is simply for side coverage for the fighting type which is a type that can end Wailord easily due to Wailord’s low defensive stats. Bounce is a nice grass type check that can cripple opponents with a 30% chance to inflict paralysis, but is incredibly risky due to it’s two turn use which gives opponents a chance to switch into something that can easily handle it, and is made riskier due to Bounce having an 85% accuracy. Iron Head is made for side coverage, but is way more than I initially bargained for. Iron Head has a 30% chance to flinch the target which has made the difference between victory and defeat in battles, as it has the potential to wipe out Black-Kyurem and Xerneas. It’s extremely deadly and is way better than I thought when first using it. Heavy Slam is a great way to utilize Wailord’s heavy weight, but again is extremely risky due to the damage being dependent on your weight in comparison to the opponent’s, getting stronger the heavier you are than the opponent. This is dangerous because there are a lot of heavy pokemon, especially ones that exist in the higher tiers where most legendaries place. This is especially true when legendaries are commonly used in this particular tier.

Checks and Counters

In the end, it provides to be effective against pokemon that don’t have tons of defense and it makes an incredible revenge killer, but it has common checks against pokemon with high defensive stats such as Toxapex and especially Ferrothorn. It’s also tough to defeat pokemon that can outspeed Wailord such as pokemon that are just faster even with the scarf boost that have super effective moves against Wailord, like Jolteon and Zeraora, pokemon with scarf as well such as Gengar, Electivire, or Haxorus, and pokemon with access to powerful priority such as Linoone with Belly Drum or Golisopod. Status conditions are also very crippling, paralysis especially. So remember to pick your fights very carefully.

Final Words

That wraps up my Wailord strategy, it’s quite powerful for a pokemon that was put in the tier below PU tier. I hope it can provide some kind of help in battling. Thanks for reading.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I'm afraid this isn't the place to post new sets, the subforum is just for making the analyses that actually go on the smogdex. You're welcome to repost it in the subforum that pertains to whatever tier you wanted to use this in (PU analysis subforum but you're making OU mentions so idk). However, I should say that this set just is not viable, or even remotely close to being good, in any tier from OU down to PU, and there's a lot that's just flat out incorrect with this post. Regardless, locking this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)