move 2: Discharge
move 3: Toxic Spikes
move 4: Memento
item: Shuca Berry
ability: Electric Surge
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Unfortunately, Pincurchin has major weaknesses that prevent it from functioning in OU, most notably its abysmal Speed, mediocre typing, and meager bulk. Its sole niche in OU relies on offensively supporting its teammates with its access to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Memento. Discharge is used as its main STAB move, which is boosted further thanks to Electric Surge, because of its good chance to paralyze, making it easy to punish Defoggers like Corviknight and Mandibuzz Once hazards have been set up, Pincurchin can use Memento to let its teammates switch in and create opportunities for them to set up safely. 248 HP and 164 Defense EVs with a Bold nature and Shuca Berry allow Pincurchin to tank Earthquake twice from Seismitoad, while 96 Special Defense EVs are enough to avoid being OHKOed by Shadow Ball from Modest Choice Specs Aegislash.

Pincurchin is best coupled with Hawlucha. Not only does it take advantage of hazards and Memento, but it also benefits from Electric Surge, doubling its Speed and granting +1 in Defense through the consumption of Electric Seed. Other setup sweepers like Gyarados and Kommo-o also appreciate Pincurchin's ability to set up hazards and potentially grant them a free turn to set up thanks to Memento.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Gravity Monkey, 422532]]
- Quality checked by: [[TPP, 260369], [Gary, 101351]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Estronics, 240732]]

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't really touched this Pokemon, honestly, but it seems weird that Recover is absent from a "Defensive" Pokemon. I get that it isn't that great since it's only Electric-type and can't even do things like Volt Switch, but I guess humor me why you wouldn't run this instead of the set you have:

[SET]
name: Defensive Spikes
move 1: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
move 3: Scald
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers
nature: Relaxed
evs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I haven't really touched this Pokemon, honestly, but it seems weird that Recover is absent from a "Defensive" Pokemon. I get that it isn't that great since it's only Electric-type and can't even do things like Volt Switch, but I guess humor me why you wouldn't run this instead of the set you have:

[SET]
name: Defensive Spikes
move 1: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
move 3: Scald
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers
nature: Relaxed
evs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
True, but you usually get more value from Mementoing into Hawlucha than trying to keep this mon alive for like one more layer of spikes. Maybe Defensive Spikes wasn't the best name for the set, but considering it's neither offensive nor a lead, I didn't really know what to call it.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
True, but you usually get more value from Mementoing into Hawlucha than trying to keep this mon alive for like one more layer of spikes. Maybe Defensive Spikes wasn't the best name for the set, but considering it's neither offensive nor a lead, I didn't really know what to call it.
Leo explained a bit more on it.

Well it's not necessarily a lead either. Best I can think of is Hyper Offense Spiker, but not sure if that is the best name for it either. Either way my bad.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hi, QC would like to use this set and EV spread instead:

Pincurchin @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Discharge
- Memento

This is meant to be more of a suicide lead on more offensive teams to get hazards up, Memento, and then go into a set up sweeper, which could easily be Hawlucha. The given EV spread along with Shuca Berry allows Pincurchin to tank 2 EQ's from Seismitoad. The special defense allows it to tank special hits better, and can notably avoid a 1HKO from Modest Choice Specs Aegislash Shadow Ball. Memento was chosen because the other mons that get Spikes + Toxic Spikes also get Self-destruct, which means they can all outclass Pincurchin outside of it providing terrain (which got nerfed to 1.3 this gen). Memento is a move that Pincurchin gets that the Spikes + Toxic Spikes + Self-destruct mons do not get. Discharge is still there because it can hit/punish the 2 most common Defog mons in the tier, which are Corviknight and Mandibuzz.

You can remove the sentences regarding Recover and Scald as they are no longer included. Once that is done and the above is implemented, I'll edit this with a 1/2.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay so I apologize for constantly having to change this analysis up but there was some misunderstanding with QC last night when we were discussing this set.

This set is not meant to function as a suicide lead, instead, it's more of a support Pokemon for offensive teams with Hawlucha. Using Pinchurin as a Suicide Lead kinda ruins the whole point of pairing it with Lucha because it is very rare that it's going to be able to sweep so early on into the match, especially this generation. You only want to bring Pin in and click Memento when it's time to actually start sweeping with Lucha. Otherwise you just spam hazards when ever possible.

So in other words, reword parts of the analysis to portray this. Remove anything that has to do with it being a Suicide Lead. Also change the name of the set to "Offensive Support". We still aren't entirely 100% on the name just yet but we think that's fine for now. I apologize again for the misunderstanding.

After you implement the above QC 2/2 (TPP's check counts as 1/2)

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Spikes
move 3: Toxic Spikes
move 4: Memento
item: Shuca Berry
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Unfortunately, Pincurchin has major weaknesses that prevents it from functioning in OU, most notably its abysmal speed Speed, its mediocre typing, (AC) and its meager bulk. It's Its sole niche in OU relies on offensively supporting its teammates with its access to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, (AC) and Memento to make it an offensive support. Discharge is used as its main STAB move, (AC) which is boosted further thanks to Electric Surge, because of its good chance to paralyze because of the 1.3x power boost it receives from Electric Surge and its 30% paralysis chance, making it easy to punish Defoggers users like Corviknight and Mandibuzz (reworded this a bit because it sounded like you would use discharge to get the terrain boost when any electric type move would get it anyways). Once hazards have been set up, Pincurchin can use Memento to let other pokemons its teammates switch in, (RC) creating and create opportunities for them to set up safely. 248 HP and 164 Defense EVs with a bold Bold nature and a Shuca Berry lets allow Pincurchin to tank 2 Earthquake twice from Seismitoad, while 96 SpD is Special Defense EVs are enough to avoid being OHKOed by a Shadow Ball from modest Modest Choice Specs Aegislash.

Pincurchin is best coupled with Unburden Hawlucha (it's common knowledge that all hawlucha will be running unburden). Not only does it take advantage of hazards and Memento, but it also benefits from Electric Surge, which grants it double speed and +1 in defense doubling its Speed and granting +1 in Defense through the consumption of Electric Seed. Other set up setup sweepers like Gyarados or Kommo-O and Kommo-o also appreciate Pincurchin's ability to set up hazards and to give potentially grant them a free set up turn to set up thanks to Memento.

[CREDITS] (remove the < and > things)
- Written by: [[<Gravity Monkey>, <422532>]]
- Quality checked by: [[<TPP>, <260369>], [<Gary>, <101351>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)