Project Player Interview #5 : Pak

Approved by UU moderation & inspired by Feliburn's project

Welcome guys in the "UU Player Interview", a project where you'll be able to discover or re-discover some well known players of the UU community. Those people may be known thanks to their high-skilled level or their achievements on the strategic scene but also thanks to their dedication into the tier or within the community. Time to gossip !

Hey what's up Pak ? Thanks for being here with me today.

whats poppin, not much just getting ready for vacation and getting some work done

We're always ready for vacation ! Even if you're well known among the strategic scene, could you introduce yourself for those who don’t already know you but also what you achieved as a player on Smogon ?

Whats up guys, i've been part of the uu community for about 5 years now. From what started as some room auth in my earlier years eventually led to getting more and more involved with smogon tournaments and the forums as a whole. I've been a council member for a couple years now and was a UU C&C mod for a decent stretch of the last gen. As for achievements in tournaments, the main ones would be my appearances in every official team tour featuring sm uu, with the exception of the most recent snake draft. Some went better than others, but I ended up going fairly comfortably positive over that span and my team ended up winning smogon snake draft 2. Aside from officials, most people know that uupl is a huge passion of mine, and my teams have made playoffs every year since i began playing in 2016. Last year we were finally able to win it all and honestly that was my last big goal when it came to tournaments.

Well ready for trouble make it double ! And what about your other face, who are you in real life ?

irl im really just a regular dude. I'm 20 years old, going to college studying marketing, and working a job at a local grocery store. Aside from playing mons, people also know me on here for being really into fitness, specifically lifting (and the ensuing pre-workout addiction). It's something i really take pride in and i just love it. Additionally I like hanging with friends, watching various shows, or playing some other games like yugioh (super super casually).

Is there any special song your listening while training ?

it's usually a revolving door of my main lifting song at whatever time, but atm it would probably be 'Choppas' by maxo kream

Alright let's back into Smogon. Could you tell us the generation where you consider yourself to be the best ?

despite dedicating a lot of time to the current gen (mainly laddering) and of course gen 7, my home will always be oras uu. I could go on a 14 paragraph rant about opinions on the tier, approaches to the tier, potential bans, etc. etc, but it's where I started and made a name myself, and it will always hold a special place in my heart

Yeah ORAS is great, I started to play during ORAS and while I believe some Pokemon should be gone atm (*cough* Conkeldurr *cough*), I think it's still a great generation. By the way, since we just got March shifts and you're part of the UU Council, what's your thoughts about it ?

the most recent shifts have really put a damper on my opinion of the tier. I was pretty outspoken that I wasn't fan of the meta a month or so ago, and now it seems like everything we did to this point was mostly invalidated. It's just chaos rn and we gotta get to work asap.

Yeah the metagame is obnoxious, we’ll probably have a lot of work.. Otherwise I was thinking about that but what's the meaning of "Pak" ? From where doe this nickname come from ?

its weird. So my first name irl is Parker, and somehow someway a childhood nickname of mine became pakmasta. I really have no idea why but yeah. It, or some slight variation was my main username of choice for whatever website through a lot of my teen years. I got to ps and it was my original name there, but i ended up getting known more under the name Specs Cranidos in 2014. Although I eventually changed back to pakmasta, despite most people not realizing it was the same person. After a while i was like damn this name is pretty whack and pretty much everyone called me pak anyway, so I switched over to it on smogon and got the alt on ps later on. I still get people asking me if I'm from pakistan all the time.

Specs Cranidos now, Choice Band Umbreon 2 weeks ago, you guys are weird lmao ! Because we're talking about Pokemon, do you any favorite one ?

bro competitive pokemon has ruined my perception of everything i liked as a kid. As a result, my favorite mons these days would definitely be hydreigon and roserade.

Big rip for your childhood.. Any tips for a newer player who would like to be picked for the upcoming UUPL ?

I might not be addressing the right level of new here, but the main thing is that if you don't end up getting picked, either due to a lack of forum recognition or other stuff, don't get discouraged. I didn't make it into uupl 2015 and it really motivated me to reflect on how i could get better, whether its in the teambuilder or in the battle. The results will come and your name will get out there, hopefully in the right ways though, and the team tour picks will follow.

Thanks for that precious advise.. and now final question : what's your guilty pleasure ?

pokemon answer: putting roserade on everything
irl answer: pre-workout, never start taking it please

Alright lmao, once again thanks for you time and your answers, feel free to shoutout some friends if you want !

np thanks for having me. I don't want to forget anyone but shoutouts barclay, the gijion goons, uupl 7 rangers, spl 9 raiders, snake 2 serpents, etc

Perfect, see ya bro !

Feel free to ask to Pak any questions you want !
If you have some recommendations for an interview, feel free to DM me !

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
who is the best yugioh gx character and why is it alexia ?
will you ever become an ou main ?
which team are you rooting for this spl ?
what tournament do you want to win the most aside from uupl ?
best game you've ever played ?
players and builders you look up to the most ?

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
top 3 drawers you know on smogon?

bottom 3 drawers you know on smogon?

do you think sacri likes my teams or your teams more?

Someone in 2011 died from a heart attack due to drinking an energy drink a day, as someone that consumes 20 lbs of pre-workout a day, are you nervous for it's impact on your health in the long term? I too have an unhealthy caffeine addiction so I'm curious as to how much you actually worry about it, if at all.

What're your thoughts on the friend safari pokemon trainers and their impact on last uupl, what're your expectations for them this uupl? Also, do you see yourself putting in the same slave-work this uupl that you did last uupl, or even close to it?

Will you be signing up for officials in the future? After not signing up for recent ones

I've never heard you say "what's poppin" in my life, while it's been my go-to greeting for years now, why must you steal my swag?

When will you follow me on spotify and what is your favorite artist of all time, and why is it pusha t? Thoughts on Weezy F Baby??? IS THE G REALLY SILENT IN LASAGNA?

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
who is the best yugioh gx character and why is it alexia ?
will you ever become an ou main ?
which team are you rooting for this spl ?
what tournament do you want to win the most aside from uupl ?
best game you've ever played ?
players and builders you look up to the most ?
1) Thelonious viper (fr axel brodie), alexis blows
2) I will after you manage the battle girls
3) Wolfpack, then cryos
4) UU open, ive done my best to do so every year and the furthest ive gotten is top 12
5) SPL X week 3 vs harris
6) Obvious answer would be pearl for both. He's really just been my big brother figure as ive gotten more and more into tournaments. Outside UU, i've had the fortune of teaming with a lot of top players like bkc, ojama, bro fist, and tdk, learning a lot from each one in entirely different ways

top 3 drawers you know on smogon?

bottom 3 drawers you know on smogon?

do you think sacri likes my teams or your teams more?

Someone in 2011 died from a heart attack due to drinking an energy drink a day, as someone that consumes 20 lbs of pre-workout a day, are you nervous for it's impact on your health in the long term? I too have an unhealthy caffeine addiction so I'm curious as to how much you actually worry about it, if at all.

What're your thoughts on the friend safari pokemon trainers and their impact on last uupl, what're your expectations for them this uupl? Also, do you see yourself putting in the same slave-work this uupl that you did last uupl, or even close to it?

Will you be signing up for officials in the future? After not signing up for recent ones

I've never heard you say "what's poppin" in my life, while it's been my go-to greeting for years now, why must you steal my swag?

When will you follow me on spotify and what is your favorite artist of all time, and why is it pusha t? Thoughts on Weezy F Baby??? IS THE G REALLY SILENT IN LASAGNA?
1) 2)
1583363019732.png
sick english dude
3) is this a real question
4) There was a stretch in early college where I was super depressed and my ridiculous caffeine in-take only made it worse and worse, mainly with added anxiety and sleep prevention. It really can be a huge issue and i've tried to cut down at least marginally. shit's fucked
5) The friends last year were a nice story. To be frank, i think they did as well as that team model can muster. No matter how you slice it, armies are just sub optimal overall and idt it's really arguable. Is it conceivable they do well? Yes, but it limits what a team's ceiling is by a ridiculous amount. It's hard to say this year since I don't know the approach you guys will take, but between you and donny peter, the friends are off to a good start. There's no way in hell I invest as much this time around as I did last year. While i had an amazing time with my team in 2019, that shit took years off my life and it really burnt me out from building and all that. I also physically can't do as much as before, considering none of us are all too familiar with the new gen, especially in comparison to sm which was really bogged down and stale at the time last year.
6) I've been heavily considering it, but I'm not going to force myself into it if the tier is super bad (which is very possible with dlcs and shit). I've ranted about this a lot, but there are a lot of positives and negatives that play in. In the most recent snake draft, my heart just wouldn't have been in it so I opted against it.
7) I actually say it a lot irl
8) My favorites are probably ab-soul, kendrick, danny brown, and pusha t in some order. I like weezy but not a huge huge fan. Ask resident italian: chris wanka

how many clones of stan van gundy would it take to beat dwane casey in a fight?
Stan is scrappy, don't underestimate him. He also has 75 lbs on dwane, so take that as you will. Going to go with 1 clone

Thoughts on all things Wanka?
handsome, also retained

How does it feel to be a pistons fan right now
Honestly great. We've won 35 to 43 games for what seems like 90 years and im unironically glad we're terrible now. Mediocrity just leads to more mediocrity in the nba if you have no assets at all, so getting some fire draft picks will be awesome. Also i forgot to say in the interview I'm a formerly-depressed huge pistons fan

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Rate this team 1-10:
09A6258B-94E1-4A65-A73E-B7CB653A0342.jpeg

Help me finish this core:
CDAED5D5-77E0-488E-8D77-EB1D0BBBC02B.jpeg

Takes on this variation of Pearl stall:
89476ABE-319B-4FFB-90AA-584F882971BE.jpeg

Will you ever accept the greatness of this set?
E95A1DE3-416A-4012-B2BA-E25B4E1D21E8.jpeg

Would you rather have the UUPL VII Rangers again this year or no pre for the rest of your life?

Favorite UUPL VII Rangers quote?

Would you rather give Roserade Spore or ban Scizor from SM UU?

DrReuniclus

Smogon's full of bullies.
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What are your plans for after college? What do you want to be doing?

Where do you see yourself in 1-5-10 years?

If you had a major life goal what would it be and what steps are you taking towards achieving it?

If you could take back the amount of time you’ve put into mons and put it into a skill to practice what would it be?

Would you go with practicing the other skill over this if given the option? (Would you go through with the above)

Who is the person you’re most disappointed you’ve lost contact with on the site over the years cause they quit or you stopped talking?

What are your thoughts on general tournament culture?

Who do you fucking HATE like you CAN’T STAND them on this site. You’d dig their grave and be happy to push em in. Don’t give me nobody you gotta name someone no baby shit. Like smogon name drop. No joke answers either

Is there a point when you plan on not participating anymore on the site? A.K.A growing up

What is the biggest turnoff for you personality wise when getting to know another person that makes you just not like them?

Biggest life regret thus far?

When is the appropriate age for marriage and what age are you planning on it

If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

If you could go to the past to when you were 10 and give yourself a piece of advice what would it be?

What do you enjoy the most about life?

What’s the most life changing/view changing thing anyone has ever told you?

Who’s the most important person in your life? Tell them that they mean a lot to you today!

if you could eat only one food for the rest of your life to live off of what would it be and why

Luck vs skill Pokemon ratio? No explanation.

What is something someone could do that you would deem as unforgivable?

Do you forgive easily or do you keep grudges?

What do your parents think you are doing on the internet all the time or do they know you play Pokémon? Are the ok with the time spent?

Would you want a son or daughter or no kids or how many kids?

If you want you child to have one trait what would it be

What do you look for most in a friend?

Does free will really exist?

What do you think happens after death?

Does life have meaning if so what do you think it is?

Is true selflessness possible? If yes give an example.

If you could go back to any time between 1000-1900 when would it be and why?

How many hours a week do you plan on working after graduating?

Do you think there is good in every person?

What should everyone experience at least once in their lives?

Give me the best piece of general life advice for the specific audience you feel will be reading your response.

I’ll give more later if I think of em. Don’t answer anything more personal than you’d want.

Give me more song requests, the one you gave is absolute fire.
Pokemon-wise, can you share your favorite teams in both smuu and ssuu
What are your top 3 other favorite tiers besides uu?
my 3 fave uu mods are esta twilight and vivalospride even they don't know me :(
thoughts on this list of top 3?

Gondra

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
UPL Champion
How is you relationship with redacted?

Do you think Roscoe don't play anymore because he is stealing money in some street?

And why you like that type of girls? with relation of my first question

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
If every iota of angst was equivalent to consuming one burger + fries, how many orders of burgers + fries would you have to eat after the liepard game from the finals of last uupl?
6 trips to steak n shake

Rate this team 1-10:

Help me finish this core:

Takes on this variation of Pearl stall:

Will you ever accept the greatness of this set?

Would you rather have the UUPL VII Rangers again this year or no pre for the rest of your life?

Favorite UUPL VII Rangers quote?

Would you rather give Roserade Spore or ban Scizor from SM UU?
1) finalsloss/10
2) die
3) as long as its sleep powder rose idc
4) loses to conk
5) rangers again (???)
6)
1583394492711.png

What are your plans for after college? What do you want to be doing?
get a stable job, no idea from there

Where do you see yourself in 1-5-10 years?
1 year - hopefully an internship
5/10 years - financially stable adult ideally

If you had a major life goal what would it be and what steps are you taking towards achieving it?
Have a good job and hopefully have some loved ones in my life, according to the american college system, im on the right track

If you could take back the amount of time you’ve put into mons and put it into a skill to practice what would it be?
lifting

Would you go with practicing the other skill over this if given the option? (Would you go through with the above)
physically cannot

Who is the person you’re most disappointed you’ve lost contact with on the site over the years cause they quit or you stopped talking?
@miltankmilk

What are your thoughts on general tournament culture?
I mostly just stick to my team chats, especially in officials, and try not to get too caught up on all the extra stuff which give it a bad rep

Who do you fucking HATE like you CAN’T STAND them on this site. You’d dig their grave and be happy to push em in. Don’t give me nobody you gotta name someone no baby shit. Like smogon name drop. No joke answers either
idk who atm but hit up 2015 pak for some juicy answers

Is there a point when you plan on not participating anymore on the site? A.K.A growing up
i dont think you can plan to quit at whatever arbitrary point. it'll just be whenever i lose interest or my close friends have mostly moved on, you stay for the people

What is the biggest turnoff for you personality wise when getting to know another person that makes you just not like them?
being condescending

Biggest life regret thus far?
there was a girl i liked in middle school that moved away and i never said anything beforehand(?)

When is the appropriate age for marriage and what age are you planning on it
i have no idea, probably like late 20s

If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?
hawaii, looks dank

If you could go to the past to when you were 10 and give yourself a piece of advice what would it be?
be yourself

What do you enjoy the most about life?
shooting the shit with friends

What’s the most life changing/view changing thing anyone has ever told you?
unsure

Who’s the most important person in your life? Tell them that they mean a lot to you today!
my older brother

if you could eat only one food for the rest of your life to live off of what would it be and why
chicken sandwich, never gets old

Luck vs skill Pokemon ratio? No explanation.
80/20 in favor of skill

What is something someone could do that you would deem as unforgivable?
bring liepard cheese to bw in a deciding finals game cough @Accelgor

Do you forgive easily or do you keep grudges?
its super hard irl for me to stay mad at anyone for more than a day or so

What do your parents think you are doing on the internet all the time or do they know you play Pokémon? Are the ok with the time spent?
my family/friends know i play mons, idt they care much as long as im being productive otherwise

Would you want a son or daughter or no kids or how many kids?
atm would lean towards no kids but idk

If you want you child to have one trait what would it be

What do you look for most in a friend?
funny/good listener

Does free will really exist?
where did you c/p these from

What do you think happens after death?
honestly no idea

Does life have meaning if so what do you think it is?
do whatever makes you happy, still working on that myself

Is true selflessness possible? If yes give an example.
imo everything we do is at least somewhat driven by self-interest. ie you do something nice for someone: yes it feels good and it was a "selfless act" but it also improved your standing with the other person and you knew that going in

If you could go back to any time between 1000-1900 when would it be and why?
i wouldnt be able to check discord at any point; it would be awful no matter what

How many hours a week do you plan on working after graduating?

Do you think there is good in every person?
no

What should everyone experience at least once in their lives?
don't say pre workout
true happiness

Give me the best piece of general life advice for the specific audience you feel will be reading your response.
be yourself and stop giving so much of a shit

I’ll give more later if I think of em. Don’t answer anything more personal than you’d want.
answers inside

Give me more song requests, the one you gave is absolute fire.
Pokemon-wise, can you share your favorite teams in both smuu and ssuu
What are your top 3 other favorite tiers besides uu?
my 3 fave uu mods are esta twilight and vivalospride even they don't know me :(
thoughts on this list of top 3?
1) gangsta talk (fredo bang), really doe (danny brown), when it rain (danny brown), freaks and geeks (childish gambino), problem (young thug), AA (isaiah rashad); all previous go-to lifting songs
2)
1583395759711.png

1583395827429.png

3) adv ou, sm pu, sm monotype
4) viv blows and idk the others very well

How is you relationship with redacted?

Do you think Roscoe don't play anymore because he is stealing money in some street?

And why you like that type of girls? with relation of my first question
1) rocky
2) i'll leave this one up to your imagination
3) im not chris wanka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)