Project Player of the Week - Drud

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ZU_Player_Of_The_Week.png

Approved by 5gen & S1nn0hC0nfirm3d | Amazing Art by Albatross
(Interview Date: 22nd of September 2021)

hattrem.png

Hello everyone and welcome back to "ZU Player of the Week"!, the project where some of ZU's finest community members are interviewed about their Pokemon and personal lives. I am grateful that I have already had the chance to interview so many amazing ZU players and I hope that you'll continue to enjoy these as much as I do. For this week's interview, we have a ZUPL manager who has had promising performances in recent tournaments...

hydreigon.gif

Drud!!
Favourite Pokemon: :hydreigon:
(PU +, PU Tutor, To Pimp A Butterfree Manager and SS Player, Classic Finalist, Ladder Tour Finalist, No John's Semi-Finalist)

ditto.png

Ditto used Transform!
Ditto transformed into Hydreigon!

hydreigon.png

*hy drei gon*

hattrem.png

Hey Drud, how are you?

hydreigon.png

Hey I'm doing pretty well though I overslept this morning and was late to class but whatever, thanks for asking, hope you're doing well too.

hattrem.png

Ah lmao, hope it wasn't that important. I'm also doing well thanks. To kick things off, do you mind telling us a bit about yourself?

hydreigon.png

I'm a 16 year old high school student from the Netherlands, my hobbies are playing video games, playing and watching basketball. I'm mainly a PU player but I've been moreso playing other tiers recently (ZU being my most played).

hattrem.png

Very nice introduction. How did you first get or what first got you into ZU seeing as you're a PU main?

hydreigon.png

I had an off week somewhere earlier this year and I was bored so I qualified for both the ZU and NU ladder tournaments that week with random samples for both, then I played the ZULT playoffs with random teams I stole from forums for the first half and pdt teams for the second half and managed to get to the finals, after that I joined a few more ZU forum tournaments and I put up some more good results. Before ZUPL I hadn't played a ZU game outside of forum tours but when the tour started I started playing it often and I honestly like the tier a lot, definitely more than all the other SS tiers.

hattrem.png

Glad you've stuck around for a while after as well. As you've said you've done well in a lot of ZU tours, and while you've been rather unfortunate to not win one yet, I think you're still considered by many to be an amazing player; what do you think contributes to do that?

hydreigon.png

I wouldn't call myself amazing but thanks lol, I think a lot of my skill comes from a lot of experience just playing the game. One of the things that I think has helped me in these ZU tournaments is that a lot of the ZU mainers I see playing bring passive teams and/or play too passive and when you play aggressive it becomes pretty easy to abuse.

hattrem.png

Modest as well haha. That makes a lot sense for sure, hopefully we'll see you win one in the near future.
After playing and building in several of these tours, do you have a favourite gen of ZU?

hydreigon.png

Recently had a discussion about this in the ZU discord, SS is my favorite: It has a lot of bulky offense and balance which I like the most playing with and against. It also feels pretty balanced even though some offensive threats are pretty annoying to prepare for like Rotom (Electric immunities for Volt Switch feel hard to fit sometimes) and CB/BB Sawk since it hits so hard. My second favorite is probably DPP since it feels pretty varied in terms of teams and it's a nice and fast paced compared to SS for if that's more your thing. My main problem with DPP is that some of the mons are just not fun to play against like sub tox protect Lapras/Walrein. I have the same problem with ORAS because Regigigas is very common and when you see that mon at team preview you just know it's gonna be boring.

hattrem.png

Oh I must have missed it so thanks for restating it here. That's a pretty cool take and one I can get behind. Definitely will be intrigued whether anything will be done about the mons you brought up once the PL is over.
Speaking of ZUPL, what drew you into signing up as a manager? How has your overall experience in the tournament been like?

hydreigon.png

I managed in PUPL (my team got knocked out in semis) and had a blast doing so, I originally told some of my friends I was gonna signup as a ZUPL manager as a joke but ended up actually doing so close to the deadline because managing is fun and I wanted another chance to win a team tour as manager after getting eliminated in PUPL. I went into the auction without a draft plan, all I know is that I planned to buy my friends zS and pdt who I both bought in PUPL also, unfortunately they both underperformed in ZU but it's all cool, they're both great players regardless and I don't regret buying them. To no one's surprise I bought mainly PU/Tour players which I sorta regret later, In hindsight I should've bought a mainer that can build well but at the time I wasn't comfortable spending a lot of money on a ZU mainer and thought the combination of pdt + me would be good enough for SS teambuilding. Now we're 4 weeks in with only 2 points which is definitely not the result I was hoping for but I'm satisfied with how I did as manager and I've had plenty of fun. Even though our team chat was mainly just me and Greybaum, I thought we had a pretty nice team environment. Last place is looking likely for us but you won't hear me complaining about how the tour went. In terms of my own individual performance, I'm 2-2 right now for 10k (didn't get drafted for last year's ZUPL lol pretty sure I did sign up last year but none of the managers knew who I was) and I'm not entirely satisfied with how I've been playing even though a win over kay is a pretty good look.

hattrem.png

Oh haha, it was actually good to see that you signed up given how many returning managers there were so the potential for a new manager to come along and win is always fun. I definitely think that there is definitely a balance to drafting friends and mainers and hopefully you'll have more success next time around if you do consider signing up again. You also still have time to go positive this week so maybe you'll be happier with how things turn out for yourself in the end.
Which players have you been surprised by/impressed by the most so far?

hydreigon.png

That's a good question, some of the players I've noticed that have been playing well consistently are Heysup, Louna, Ho3nConfirm3d, Luck O' The Irish, daniYSB, 5gen and TheFranklin. From my own team, I've been impressed mainly by sensei axew and DnB, I know they're solid players so it doesn't surprise me that they've been doing well.

hattrem.png

great great
Last question on PL, it's pretty early on in the week still (Wednesday when interviewed); which teams do you think make playoffs and which team do you think will win it all?

hydreigon.png

Pretty sure the Flamencos are guaranteed to be in and basically guaranteed to be the first seed, they look like the strongest team and if they continue to perform like they have in the regular season they're very likely to win the whole tour. I think Hakamo-o's have a decent shot and I'm rooting for them as they seem like underdogs at this point (well every team except the Flamenco's seem like underdogs). The Hakamo-o's have a lot of players I respect and if they stop underperforming like they have in week 3 and 4 I can see them taking it all.

hattrem.png

It'll be interesting to see whether playoffs spices things up
A few questions about yourself now. Aside from mons, what kinds of games do you enjoy playing?

hydreigon.png

Currently I'm trying out a lot of different games because I bought an actually good laptop instead of the terrible one I had until a few weeks ago, some games that I've consistently enjoyed throughout the years are Minecraft, Smash Bros and Mario Kart.

hattrem.png

That's pretty neat, and nice, classic games are always fun
As for basketball, do you play on a team at all or just for fun and who are your favourite players/teams to watch?

hydreigon.png

Nah I only play pick up games and practice with friends a few times a week, being on a team and training on a consistent base isn't for me. I'm a Lakers fan and my favorite player is LeBron but that's too basic of an answer, I'm also a big fan of Devin Booker and Jayson Tatum.

hattrem.png

I see, good answer.
Next, I wanna ask what genre of music/artists do you normally listen to?

hydreigon.png

I listen to almost exclusively rap/hiphop, like 70% of the time I'm listening to music, I'm listening to Kendrick Lamar. Other rappers/groups I like a lot are J Cole, Kanye, Don Toliver, Tyler the Creator, Migos, Brockhampton

hattrem.png

That's a pretty good taste in music; in my opinion anyways.
A more interesting question now, who would you say is the most annoying user in ZU?

hydreigon.png

Good question, I thought it the interview lacked it so I asked Greybaum it during his interview. It's Durza. Second place goes to OranBerryBlissey10

hattrem.png

I could have never guessed it would have been durza given the fact he has definitely not pinged throughout of this PL so far.
Interesting to see that OBB10 is second, any reasoning for this :o

hydreigon.png

Idk I saw some of his messages in the ZU discord and he just seemed cocky and annoying or that one ZUPL winpost where he said "thanks for predicting against me" which just seems very petty

hattrem.png

Ah very understandable, ye predicts are more so for fun anyways, people get worked up on them too much despite there not being ill intent behind them
We come to the end of this interview now with the usual two questions left, the first one being: is there a team you'd like to share with us?

hydreigon.png

I used this :thievul: :dugtrio-alola: :rotom: :altaria: :ferroseed: :qwilfish: in my ZUPL w3 game against Hitmonstars (Battle Replay) and it's probably my favorite team I've made for this ZUPL. Main idea behind the team is to break with Thievul while trying to clean up with Rotom/Dugtrio-A after. While it has a good defensive core, you need to play aggressive with especially Thievul in order to win your games with this because if you're too passive. you're gonna fall behind. Thievul and Dugtrio-A are both great offensive mons that I don't see get used a lot, Scarf is one of Rotom's worse sets imo (still a good set but still) but it fits well here so I just went with it. The electric immunity is Duggy-A which doesn't love to take non electric moves from Rotom/Raichu so you're gonna have to get your reads right to not get steamrolled by Volt Switch but still keeping your Dugtrio alive. All in all it's a fun and good team but it's not one you can always win with on autopilot.

hattrem.png

I really liked this team when I first saw it since it had Duggy-Alola, which as you said isn't used very often. I love how deceptively easy it looks as a team given it's hazard stack with breakers but it looks really well put together. Thanks for sharing it!!
Finally, do you have any last remarks or shoutouts you'd like to make?

hydreigon.png

I'd like to give a quick shoutout to everyone on my ZUPL team, especially Greybaum for being the 2nd most active person by quite a big margin. Even if most people weren't that active I still appreciate everyone being a part of the experience. Other than that I'd like to shout out the people who I've tested with for this tour, yet weren't on my team like Tuthur, S1nn0hC0nfirm3d, kay, Apagogie (I probably forgot multiple people). Thanks for everyone involved with ZUPL for making it a fun experience. Also shoutout to you for interviewing me. That's basically it

hattrem.png

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions :)

Feel free to ask to Drud any questions you want!

Last edited:

Apagogie

Zee you later
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Meow meow new z-user

1) Top 5 Favorite food?
2) If you could live in an other country, what would it be?
3) what's the most difficult french word to pronounce and why is it "rechercher"?
4) do you plan to learn any language?

1) What would you unban in zu? Same question but for ban
2) Which mon is underrated in your opinion?
3) Which mon is overrated?
4) If you could remove one mon in the tier (not specially because it's broken but just because you don't like it) what would it be?

Drud

is a Tutor Alumnus
PUPL Champion
Meow meow new z-user

1) Top 5 Favorite food?
2) If you could live in an other country, what would it be?
3) what's the most difficult french word to pronounce and why is it "rechercher"?
4) do you plan to learn any language?

1) What would you unban in zu? Same question but for ban
2) Which mon is underrated in your opinion?
3) Which mon is overrated?
4) If you could remove one mon in the tier (not specially because it's broken but just because you don't like it) what would it be?
1: Bigos, Chicken Burrito, Gulasz, Chicken Rice, Lasagna (not ordered)
2: good question, idk, probably Belgium or the US
3: idk i haven't had French class in a long ass time but rechercher isn't that hard
4: Polish, i'm half polish and go to Poland twice a year but i don't speak the language (yet)

1 (why are we at 1 again): Everything in ZUBL seems broken tbh the least broken mons are probably Centiskorch and Silv ground, if I had to pick something it'd be Centiskorch but i'd rather not unban anything. In terms of what I'd ban it's probably Sawk, maybe Rotom.
2: Dugtrio-A, I don't see other people using it a lot but I think it's rly good
3: Rapidash, I see it being used often but most games I see it doing nothing of note
4: probably Audino or Rotom, I don't have to explain why Audino is annoying and Rotom is really annoying because Volt immunities are annoying to fit and it's diverse in terms of sets

whats your favorite mon in BW ZU? why is it purugly? are you sad purugly got banned in bw zu?
i like pawniard and mienfoo. idk i never played it when purugly was in the tier but fuck persian i'd rather use purugly

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Good morning

Let's work

1) You recently told me you didn't like Lil Nas X's new album, how does it feel to be so homophobic?
2) What's your favorite in-game generation of Pokemon for casual playthroughs/nuzlockes?
3) What's a current PU mon that you think should drop to ZU but hasn't yet, if any?/What's a PU mon you would like to use in ZU that you don't think would break the meta?
4) You don't play Unite but based on your limited knowledge of the Pokemon in it, who would you main?

Stop texting

Go find God

Come back after you found God

Drud

is a Tutor Alumnus
PUPL Champion
Good morning

Let's work

1) You recently told me you didn't like Lil Nas X's new album, how does it feel to be so homophobic?
2) What's your favorite in-game generation of Pokemon for casual playthroughs/nuzlockes?
3) What's a current PU mon that you think should drop to ZU but hasn't yet, if any?/What's a PU mon you would like to use in ZU that you don't think would break the meta?
4) You don't play Unite but based on your limited knowledge of the Pokemon in it, who would you main?

Stop texting

Go find God

You're fired

Go home

1: I didn't even listen to it and I don't know if I will so I don't rly have an opinion on the album I just made fun of you for listening to it
2: Gen 5, bw2 specifically
3: Jolteon, Absol for the first part, Druddigon for the second part
4: I had like 70 games on Talonflame but switched to Cinderace because jungle kept getting stolen by random ass Zeraora's and then quit the game. Idk what new mons got added since Gardevoir but if I came back I'd prob play Cinderace again

I have found God

Stop texting

Go find God

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
1. what's your favorite song from the nicknames you gave to your pokemon on that team?
2. thoughts on panpour?
3. dream vacation place?

Drud

is a Tutor Alumnus
PUPL Champion
1. what's your favorite song from the nicknames you gave to your pokemon on that team?
2. thoughts on panpour?
3. dream vacation place?
1: All The Stars > ELEMENT > Chapter Six > N 2 Deep > Remote Control > March Madness
2: Feel like the gen 5 monkeys are overhated. I like panpour
3: probably Honolulu but idk haven't rly thought about that much

Drud

is a Tutor Alumnus
PUPL Champion
Banded zweilous Y/N

Do you do additional self imposed challenges in nuzzlocks

Which Pokemon in ZU would you experiment with
with ideal prediction, matchup and luck it could work. the odds of that are slim though i'd rather just use cb flapple
yeah i've dabbled in nuzlockes and won a pretty big nuzlocke tournament alongside SergioRules
aurorus, cursola, offensive spiritomb, regular silvally are mons i've been trying to get to work but haven't succeeded in doing so so far

Mr.Bossaru

PMPL Champions 2022' ZU GOD\NU GOAT
is a Top Tiering Contributor
drud, my man,
1. what's one zu mon u hate
2. whats one zu tour loss u wish u could have back

Drud

is a Tutor Alumnus
PUPL Champion
drud, my man,
1. what's one zu mon u hate
2. whats one zu tour loss u wish u could have back
oops, forgot to reply to this earlier sorry

1: most annoying to play against are probably rotom audino qwil miltank altaria
2: zult finals probably? at the time i didn't care but it's the most relevant tour i got close to winning, or maybe no johns semis because making finals would've secured a cash prize

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)