Project Player of the Week - OranBerryBlissey10

1636927619124.png

Approved by 5gen & S1nn0hC0nfirm3d | Amazing Art by Albatr0ss and butchered by me | Thread formatting stolen from Jett
(Interview Date: 12th and 14th of November, 2021)
1635042923924.png
Hey friends and welcome to ZU Palpitoad Player of the Week. This is the project where we learn about some of ZU's finest community members in the form of interviews. In this edition, which is actually the 25th edition of the project (5th of me hosting), we are interviewing one of our staff members who swears Shiinotic is good (spoiler: it is not) and unfortunately my Majors opponent this week (I swear we agreed about this interview way before pairings came out). Without further ado,

cd2ccbc2f08d9fe0ab5e0453a00612ae.gif

OranBerryBlissey10 !!
Favorite Pokémon: :mawile:
(ZU Driver, Shadow Tier Leader, Shiinotic enthusiast)​
1636309347093.png

Ditto used Transform!
Ditto transformed into Shellos!

shellos-east.png
*sheeeellos*

1635042923924.png
Hey OBB, how are you doing today?

shellos-east.png
Pretty good, not doing much rn (apart from having to recover from just losing to the worst zu player ever)

1635042923924.png
Did you also play Tuthur today? I didn't know, kinda awful to lose twice in the same day though! I'm glad to have you here in player of the week and looking forward to this interview! As usual, do you wanna tell us a bit about yourself outside of Pokémon?

shellos-east.png
Sure, I'm a farmaceuticals student from Leuven, which is pretty much in the center of Belgium and known for its great universities (and also for having bikes thrown in its rivers ig). Did a year of physics before which was interesting but I didn't have the discipline to keep up with it. Love playing games and listening to music (even if that's the most cliché and uninteresting answer ever). I also technically play the piano but haven't played in months. If you meant personality-wise idk where to begin except to say that I'm obviously very funny (pls laugh at my bad jokes).

1635042923924.png
That's a lot of great info. Well, let's start with your major then. What made you choose pharmceuticals as your major? Have you always been interested in both fields?

shellos-east.png
I've always wanted to do something scientific, and the biology of the human body is very interesting to me. When I was younger I wanted to be an astronomer, but I've changed my mind a couple of times since then.

1635042923924.png
I've always had the same interests as well, but always leaned more into Chemistry. You said you like playing games. Which ones are your favorites?

shellos-east.png
Mostly Nintendo games, some standouts for me would be Mario Galaxy 1 &2, Three Houses and Majora's Mask. Big fan of Minecraft too, I've played a lot of random stuff though. Recently I've picked up Undertale which I've somehow not done earlier.

1635042923924.png
So you're more of a single player kind of guy? I also gravitate a lot towards games like that. Do you play any other multiplayer game that isn't Pokemon or Minecraft?

shellos-east.png
I've dabbled in smash but I suck at it, the borderlands series was fun but other than that can't really think of a lot (I might be missing something though). Does Among Us count? I feel like it doesn't bc everybody's played it (when in doubt, vote out toto btw). I quite like multiplayer games but now that you mention it ig I do gravitate more towards singleplayer. I feel like good singleplayer games are harder to make as opposed to good multiplayer games (since the people ur playing with/against are gonna matter more a lot of the time) which also makes them better in some ways. Anyway I'm not a game critic I could just be talking out of my ass lol.

1635042923924.png
Yeah, there are just very few multiplayer games out there i really enjoy. Now into music! You said you play the piano so i'm curious! How long have you been playing? Do you consider yourself to be good? What songs do you like to play the most?

shellos-east.png
That's a lot of questions. I've been playing for about 6 years, I do not consider myself to be good, have mostly played classical music, haven't really had the time to try something else recently. When I was a lot younger I tried to compose but it never amounted to more than a couple of jingles. The 'math' behind 'solfège' is very interesting imo.

1635042923924.png
That's cool. What other kind of music do you like? Any favorite artists/genres?

shellos-east.png
Oh I like a bunch of stuff, whenever people ask me this question I find it hard to pinpoint stuff. I like a lot of game music but that's neither here nor there. Can't really say I have favorite artists or genres, my taste tends to shift a lot (mb for being kinda unresponsive). Even something like rap that tries really hard to be bad can be worthwhile (maybe sometimes in theory surely)

1635042923924.png
No problem, I'm just trying to fish for info. You don't need to have an answer to everything. What do you like to watch? Any favorite movies or TV shows?

shellos-east.png
Not really into TV shows, I've liked a bunch of series like The Big Bang Theory or Lucifer recently tho. Some series that I'd definitely also recommend are House, Frasier or Black Sails. I don't really watch a lot of series/movies altogether tho so i'm probably not up to date on the "meta".

1635042923924.png
Good picks. Now let's change the topic a bit. How did you get started on PS/Smogon? How did you end up in ZU of all metagames?

shellos-east.png
I got started on PS about 18 months ago. The unis going on lockdown meant I was gonna be spending a lot more time online. The idea of instantly building your own teams seemed fun so I was like 'why not?'. I didn't really have a particular tier in mind at that time, one of my first teams was like 5 nfe's and a Greedent lol. Since I liked using eviolite mons I was drawn to NFE and played it a bunch, quickly establishing myself as one of the new bad players. Since NFE doesn't have tier shifts I wanted to try something else as well and I noticed that ZU had a lot of NFE mons too, as well as reading a post about the most recent bans (which at the time was elecvally). I tried it out because it appealed to me (pyuk was broken back then btw I swear) and it just kinda stuck. I eventually got voiced and became a less bad player along the way, even getting a win vs some random washed player in my first zupl game (because somehow Swoobat was legal I'm still salty about that).

1635042923924.png
Yeah, you definitely improved a lot since you joined the community. Glad you stuck around for that long! Rotom just recently escaped the banhammer in the suspect and you voted "Do not ban". What are your thoughts on the current metagame and why did you vote that way in the suspect?

shellos-east.png
I've seen a lot of criticism about the current metagame but I actually quite like it and I think there's a lot of room for creativity. At the very least I personally am having fun building in it. About rotom, I think it is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best and most flexible mon in the meta not to mention being extremely punishing when combined with general good play. It was definitely a good choice for a suspect (unlike say alcremie which isn't/wasn't even close to broken) but each set still has clear flaws. Scarf is weak and abusable, specs is a bit too slow, np can't pivot and all defog/wisp etc sets don't have the bulk to switch into a lot of hits they want to like rhydon edge or a-slash knock. Something that i feel is often overlooked when discussing rotom is that bad predictions made by the rotom player can just as easily skew the game out of your favor. (scarf sballing into a thievul, volting on a fisk, wisping a tales/dash for example) Despite that I still think there is a lot of potential in builds that focus on overwhelming grounds (in which rotom would obviously play a key part) like say subtox mane + specs rotom + np skunk to play around the ground tax that builds usally require (feels almost as heavy as the grass tax sometimes). These kinds of builds could be considered overwhelming in the future but that's mostly theorymonning and rn rotom feels doable to play around. And since I felt there was enough reasonable doubt considering its potential brokenness I decided to vote dnb.

1635042923924.png
That's an interesting take in the meta that i partially agree with. I just think Rotom is way too low risk/high reward to be balanced in this metagame personally. Considering you're our shadow tier leader, if you could choose the next suspect for SS ZU, what would it be? Could be a retest too

shellos-east.png
Idt anything currently in the metagame is worthy of a suspect test, ig Thievul would be the closest but that mon has massive trouble switching into anything (also sawk is bad just use god shroom). While I would support a retest of anything not named turtonator (I've seen people suggesting a turt retest and I could go on for hours about why I think their arguments are flawed) out of sheer 'practice > theory' principle, something I've got my eye on is Magmortar. While we did lose some checks to it, Centiskorch made it so much more broken since checking both of them was really difficult w/o using altaria, as opposed to now where checking all fires (including mag) is easier in the builder. Some meta shifts like the rise of dash would also make its life harder, most notably giving it a painful sands vs focus 4mss. I also heavily agree with tuthur on the grassy seed matter, twas such a hasty ban and idt people are/were using enough dark types in general which have a good mu vs gterrain teams (at least the gseed spam ones for which gseed was banned anyway). Adaptation was/is definitely possible even if it would still be a powerful mu fish. So Magmortar and Grassy Seed would be my top two candidates for a retest but I'm down for trying out anything that's not turt (bc once again that mon is not even close to fair and it would balance centi causing a loop and all its check get chipped and gallade helped a lot with it but that's gone now and (insert more rambling)).

1635042923924.png
That's alright, I think Thievul has potential of being problematic in the future. Do you have a team you'd like to share with us?

shellos-east.png
oooh that's tough, I love talking about how a team works, it'll be hard choosing one. So I won't and find an excuse to post 5. Here's a couple of drafts of a team that tries to overwhelm grounds, the first two are initial drafts and the last three are different versions of a better rendition. Worth noting that I considered bringing the first team vs avarice in zupl finals and it would've won at preview. Offensive builds like these can falter sometimes but they're very effective vs teams that rely on their ground too much.
:manectric::lycanroc-midnight::ferroseed::rapidash::rotom::clefairy:
:manectric::lycanroc-midnight::roselia::rapidash::rotom::clefairy:
v1: :manectric::rotom::skuntank::alcremie::eldegoss::qwilfish:
v2: :manectric::rotom::skuntank::clefairy::cramorant::gourgeist:(small)
v3: :manectric::rotom::skuntank::alcremie::appletun::coalossal:

1635042923924.png
Oh, thanks for the multiple versions! That should be nice to give players a view on how your building process works. We are starting to wrap this up so, is there anything you want to say? Anyone you want to shout out?

shellos-east.png
Shoutouts are never not a trap since there's always someone you forget. The ZU community in general is very cool and if I started doing shoutouts I wouldn't end since there's genuinely a lot of people who've been more than good to me. (I didn't get to make a 20 page monologue about why shiinotic is great tho but such is life amirite?)

1635042923924.png
Well, Shiinotic is at least ranked, unlike Palpitoad. Thanks for the shoutouts and for letting me interview you and i hope you enjoyed being in Player of the Week!

shellos-east.png
I did, and ty for being such a patient interviewer!

Feel free to ask to OranBerryBlissey10 any questions you want!

OranBerryBlissey10

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
User below me is a bozo!! Anyways questions for OBB:

When are you retiring from Shadow TL to become the actual TL?
When are you becoming NFE TL and why will it be next year?
Why West Sea Shellos over East Sea?
Top 5 Berry(Blisseys)?
- soontm
- Next year bc pawn will be unbanned and I will be able to spam webs again, making people mistakenly assume I'm good at the game.
- West Sea is the pink one (idk if it was an intended bait or not) and it sucks, has that weird thing on its head and I also didn't traumatize quags with it.
- Chople, Sitrus, Custap, Jaboca, Rowap

1) You indicated you don’t like rap very much. Who is/are your favorite rap artist(s)?
2) Since you like single-player games, do you enjoy RPGs? If so, what are some of your favorites?
3) ZUWC or ZU Snake?
1) You could name a rap artist which would technically make that my favorite one.
2) I do, what constitues as one is very loose though. By some standards a lot of nintendo games would fall under that category, big fan of undertale or dark souls for example but some people wouldn't even count that. I haven't played some of the classic answers like final fantasy yet but I've been meaning to try it. (wow that was the most boring answer ever)
3) zuwc (unless I have to team with tuthur ofc)

1. i hear you like jokes, tell me one of your favorite ones!
2. Rank these old gens from most fun to least: RBY, GSC, ADV, DPP, BW, ORAS, SM, SS
3. Dumbest ladder sets you've encountered?
4. bring back wailord sets
1. Tuthur consistently nomming Goss up to where it doesn't belong is a pretty good one.
2. DPP >>> ORAS > GSC > ADV > SS > SM > BW (haven't played RBY)
3. Vital spirit rest magmar has to take the cake. (not sure what RH cinno is supposed to do either)
4. Specs spout on webs was viable for like 5 months after it was unranked.

1. Why is DPP the best gen?
2. Why haven’t you played League of Legends yet?
3. Why isn’t Blissey one of your favorite Pokemon?
4. Why is Budew OP?
1. That's like asking why cats meow, u don't question the obvious facts in life.
2. I can call my friends bad at any game, don't need League specifically for that.
3. good question
4. spikes are broken duh

1. Best era of SS ZU
2. Which berries from Pokemon would you like to eat?
3. Will you make Shellos work in BDSP ZU?
4. Should Pyuk be banned still or...?
5. Do you like certain types of comedy?
6. Who are your inspirations?
1. The december meta where sableye was broken that no one cared about bc it was right before the megashift.
2. I know they have a wide taste palette from making poffins in dpp, probably all of them but the bitter ones.
3. yes ofc (disclaimer: if eviolite does not exist the following claim will be retracted)
4. ;_;
5. I have a soft spot for dry or absurd humor, but just about any type can be funny if it's done right.
6. u ofc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)