Project Player Of The Week Revived: Week 2 - EviGaro

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

EviGaro
Favourite Pokemon:
Mismagius
Most used Pokemon: Mesprit lol
Most known for: salt, renowned ru tryhard, pu main™ and pupl manager, big fan
Yogi - Hi Evi(Garo), how are you doing today?
Evi - Hlelo, I'm quite alright, and you?
yogi I'm doing great thank you, and I'm glad you're doing good!

Yogi - Can you tell us a little about yourself outside of Smogon? Any hobbies or interests you'd like to share Evi?
Evi - I'm a postgrad political science student, which makes me 1 - old and 2 - jaded about life in general, but working with other students and trying to help them on their merry way is typically something I get really passionate about, rather than the academia stuff that is... well. Most political stuff tends to be a hobby of mine due to how entertaining following it can be, also playing old versions of Football Manager from time to time because my computer sucks ok

Yogi - So, I've always wanted to know, what's the inspiration behind your name?
Evi - Well most people know about my... thing. EviGaro is a play on my name and the one I would want. People trying to guess which is which can be funny

Yogi - What brought you to Smogon / Pokemon Showdown and, more importantly, the PU community?
Evi - I imagine like most people here Pokemon has been a part of their life for a loooong time, and it's not different for me. It took me a while to really join Smogon though, due to general lack of motivation with anything close to online gaming but one day I made an OU rain team with no setter. Before I knew it it was hours of playing and yelling Katy Perry songs - don't judge - so I just tried to branch out more lol. I played a bit of PU late oras, the gen I joined, but never really clicked with the tier while I was still settling in RU. The key thing for me being involved more with the tier was probably winning the BW PU Cup, especially since I had to play a lot of the mains I've come to grow fond of, like LordST, amberlamps, even TJ!

Yogi - So, while this question is undoubtedly a late one, what were your favourite moments managing a team this PUPL?
Evi - Just the team really, when I did rupl I really didn't know what I was doing in the auction but luckily the team there really clicked, whereas in pupl I knew from the start which team I wanted and how I could realistically get it. There's a few players I expected to see more interest in - especially obii or NaCl - but they were already a great fit due to past history. In general I felt the team worked brilliantly together, we had a lot of great moments imo, and I hope the others feel that way. I was a bit peeved at missing out on finals due to one win but the whole thing was super close so I'm not really complaining

Yogi - What are your thoughts on the meta post Kingler and Pyroar ban? Do you think either even deserved to stay?
Evi - Pyroar has been stupid for months, even when Magmortar was still around imo. Having to run either Regirock or Lanturn, even before the rise of Grassium, was extremely restrictive, and there was just no reason to not run it on offensive teams. Kingler... hm. On one hand it was very stupid, being able to capitalize on free turns extremely well without really needing the setup, but the flaws were made a lot more obvious by Pyroar's effect on the tier and how counterplay to Pyroar flatout dropped to Kingler due to how easy it was to pressure it. I think doing it the other way would have made more sense, especially since the remaining fire types really cannot apply the same pressure for several reasons, but I can live with it. It's pretty odd to see the meta right now though, especially since losing two massive breakers like that is leaving the tier scrambling for something of the same consistency, and it'll be interesting to see how the tier works around that issue

Yogi - Do you have any people that you look up to on Smogon?
Evi - As a player / builder / how he thinks the game, definitely McMeghan, just the way he can explain a game and the intent of the build can convince me even when the build is triple water rain stall with seed spam. I absolutely freaked out when I had to play him lmao (he'll likely won't remember but that's cool). col49 is another builder I like even if he can be MEAN, and uh yeah most other are people I'm friendly with which doesn't seem like the intent of the question

Yogi - Finally, wanna give us a cool team with a short explanation for it?
Evi -

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpD / 124 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Aggron @ Steelium Z
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Lurantis @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Superpower
- Synthesis
- Defog

Froslass @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Flamethrower

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind

Used that against sam i yam, basically since I knew he ran offence like, all the time, tried to make something that could check brokens, so Protect Lanturn can scout for the grassium on Pyroar and stuff. Z Aggron is something I thought of because of the Regirock matchup, basically since in theory Regirock can deal with non CB Aggron with coverage, Z-Heavy Slam was a sort of lure to effectively remove it for Mesprit / Pyroar late game without shenanigans, plus it hits hard in general without missing. Obligatory Lurantis since that mon is top ten, use it, Scarf Froslass was wack but in an offence matchup it's pretty effective against booster and could at the time outpace Scarf Pyroar, which was nice because I had coverage for it. Mesprit... well I toyed with the set, but I kinda liked CM Colbur, being able to effectively punish dark types with appropriate coverage and generally being able to hit the entire tier besides bulky psychics was useful, adding more threatening setup too. Basically a very offensive team with some attempt at having defensive checks to stuff, to put it eloquently.

Yogi - Well Evi, it has been a blast as usual. Happy to have finally caught you! Remember you can ask questions below! See you all next week time n_n

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
how u feeling about ssnl? chances vs taskr, pohjis, or zugubu?
have you ever liked PU more than ru? like the state of the meta. I'd ask if you currently do but we had pyroar lol
idk what ur name is supposed to be :/

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Favorite blob emoticon?
Favorite piece of dibbers' art?
Right-side up puppers or upside-down puppers?
Favorite board game?
EviGaro backwards is Oragive if that means anything.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in Snake draft and who should be in potentially SPL? Do you plan on playing/managing in SPL?
What other metas are you interested in outside of RU & PU?
What's your thought process with building?
Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
how u feeling about ssnl? chances vs taskr, pohjis, or zugubu?
have you ever liked PU more than ru? like the state of the meta. I'd ask if you currently do but we had pyroar lol
idk what ur name is supposed to be :/
- Hm there's history with all, so it would be cool. I think my series against Taskr was the best I had in this ssnls, three super close games, Pohjis I'm always wary of because he's maddeningly consistent, and zugubu brought... interesting stuff lol, so it's always someone who is a bit of a pain to predict.
- The easy answer would be BW, but it's mostly because BW RU has Durant. But overall I don't know, RU this gen ultimately always had familiarity, though I generally feel better about competing in SM PU. This is a total non-answer I realize
- :/

is it short for Eviolite Gastrodon?
F

Did xastify made you?
No you are our child

Evi=Carpet Store. Garo=Japanese Anime Series. :thonk::thonk::thonk::thonk:
yes

Favorite blob emoticon?
Favorite piece of dibbers' art?
Right-side up puppers or upside-down puppers?
Favorite board game?
EviGaro backwards is Oragive if that means anything.
- :blobglare:
- The Mismagius winning art is always solid
- sideways
- I barely play those, but if you give me something where I can politically pwn my friends I generally tryhard
- Fun fact, I have this alt registered!

omg massive windmill
omg huge ceiling fan
omg big supporter
omg large fanatic
:medicham:

an actual question: anything left that you'd ban?
oh you.
I don't think there's anything...? Generally my ban criteria tends to favour big impact offensive mons that also warp the tier with their speed tier. Well that OR FREAKING VENOMOTH. So idk... Actually Lilligant is lowkey very ridiculous right now so maybe we'll come full circle on that mon

Why was oras ru the best metagame omg
Fav pu tier?
ORAS RU is not only the best metagame that is universally hated, it is also the best metagame because of that. So almost everyone who plays 1 - enjoys it a lot and 2 - isn't afraid to get creative in it. And it's such a balanced tier in part because the best mons are just... glues. They don't dominate offensively or in the hazard game (except Glalie but the washed goons think it's bad SMH), they're just great support. Add to that a lot of super interesting ways to break and it's just a very fun tier that doesn't make you lose your mind in teambuilding.

BW is very dumb and I love it for that, but on the whole watching SM PU evolve has been a great experience, and it's just full of cool things, so that one. Shoutout to ADV Dunsparce though

Who do you think deserved to be drafted in Snake draft and who should be in potentially SPL? Do you plan on playing/managing in SPL?
What other metas are you interested in outside of RU & PU?
What's your thought process with building?
Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played
- I feel like there's no way for me to answer that question without looking worse for it
- If HJAD is up, I am. Maybe I'll let him collect the likes this time
- In SM? Not much, I tend to like Ubers in small doses, rn it's one of those times. BW UU is one of my favourite metas of all time though, I loved it from the moment I just tried it in the cup for the lulz. That + a lot of buds in the UU scene tends to keep me interested in the tier even though I'm not all that into it.
- Honestly I just pick something I want to try and roll with it. I build in bulk so ultimately if I really like a core you'll see it in every team I make for a while. Like Roserade/Noivern in RU or me spamming the heck out of Lurantis in ssnls.
- I'm too much of a big fan for that
- Power Swap Overheat

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What's your take on the BW meta? What needs to be changed, if anything?

Describe your ideal burger

Are Dolly and Dot your best friends? They pull your wagon through dunes of sand after all

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
What's your take on the BW meta? What needs to be changed, if anything?

Describe your ideal burger

Are Dolly and Dot your best friends? They pull your wagon through dunes of sand after all
- Ban Frost. Combusken is dumb but it doesn't break the tier by having virtually a dominant matchup against almost all styles. Also every decent check to Combusken would in theory apply to Frost... if it didn't have the two best stabs possible. So yeah I do think that banning Frost would go a long way into making the tier somewhat possible to build in again.
- lots of mushrooms, lots of onions, hot peppers and hot sauce. With onion rings that are Lorde approved™ of course
- yes

Go to donut order at Tim Hortons?

Thoughts on Trudeau being Fidel Castro’s lost son?

Do fast food places in Quebec have poutine? If so is it good?
- I don't actually Tim Hortons. Being a French pleb my order is a chocolatine aux amandes at Première Moisson, sorry. And donuts are very overrated tbh.
- hot
- Oh yes, even shawarma places do! I never order one there though, if I do it's either at a poutine restaurant, at a bar while getting plastered or homemade

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What's your favorite special wallbreaker on Rain teams and why is it Ludicolo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)