Project Player Of The Week Revived: Week 6 - ShuckleDeath

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

ShuckleDeath
Favorite Pokemon: Shuckle
Most used Pokemon: Regirock
Most known for: PU Room Mod and making bad typos
TJ: Hey Shuckle, how are you doing today?
Shuckle: Pretty good I have been in a lot of pain recently as my spine is really messed up so I get numbness and cramps all through my back, hips and down my legs. I have have been doing well despite this really trying to get myself into gear with my family life and my Smogon contributions, basically, I am just trying to take it one day at a time.

TJ: Where did you get your name from?
Shuckle: At the time of discovering Smogon, I was very new to the internet so I didn't really have any sort of online alias. When I started playing I was listing to the death metal band Deicide a whole lot so I took My favorite Pokemon, Shuckle, and combined it with death metal so I took to the alt ShuckleDeathMetal, I didn't like the way that looked so I dropped the metal part. ShuckleDeath just stuck.

TJ: Can you tell us a little about yourself outside of Smogon?
Shuckle: I am a 25 year hard working father of two wonderful sons. My oldest is 8 years old I had him very young. I also have a one-year-old. They have the same mother, we have been together for 10 years. My only real hobby is Smogon, but I also enjoy other things such as music, yo-yos, Harry Potter culture, and Super Mario Maker. I am just a big geek.

TJ: How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon? What drew you to PU?
Shuckle: I was a fan of Pokemon since I was 7 years old, the first game I played was Pokemon Crystal and I played the same save file until the battery died I loved it so much, and I have gone back to the first generation and kept up ever since, so Pokemon has been a huge part of my life from a young age. Back in like 2011 or 2012 I was searching up something about Marowak and discover Smogon analyses, which in turn lead me to discover the whole competitive scene. For a long time, I played on my game cart of Pokemon X, breeding teams and challenging small poketubers, yes you can still find some videos, but after so long I realized I was playing for fun and never getting good at the game so I decided I would stick to Pokemon Showdown to try and hone my skills. I got into PU when it came around because of the Pokemon in it, even though most of them ended up being unviable. I stuck around because the community was so nice and welcoming and I made a bunch of friends I got into deep and fell in love with the community.

TJ: What are your thoughts on the current meta? What do you think is underrated atm?
Shuckle: I feel the metagame isn't in too bad of a state. The PU council and tier leaders are doing a fantastic job trying to keep PU as balanced as they can, which is saying something considering PUs trouble of having too many wallbreakers and not enough defensive options. Lilligant I feel puts too big of a strain on balance players like myself so I am glad we have the suspect test going on. I have a couple of Pokemon I feel need more attention. Simisage is a super strong breaker able to threaten a good majority of the metagame with its coverage, speed tier, and great mixed offensive capabilities. I also feel Carbink is a super solid pick right now, being able to check a wide variety of Pokemon, like Guzzlord, Stoutland, and Simisear.

TJ: What's your favorite playstyle and why?
Shuckle: One year ago I would have told you offense as it was what I was comfortable building, but now it most definitely balance. I have got a lot better at building it and I really enjoy the fact that you can still keep a great offensive presence while also having a defensive backbone to keep options open. It also fits well with my style as I like to use creative stuff so I can really get an edge with my uniqueness as I am not afraid to use an unranked Pokemon to help check a key threat or two.

TJ: Do you have any memorable games you've played?
Shuckle: Destroying Akir with Glalie in ORAS PU was incredibly fun. I would have to say my most memorable games was my series in PU Seeded Tour against PILZ. It was recent, but I feel it really shows me playing at a high level with teams I am comfortable with. I lost 0-2, but I am still proud of my performance there and would recommend you guys check out that series for some unique high-level play.

TJ: What advice would you give to new players starting out in PU?
Shuckle: I would say it is best to take advice from all metagames and tiers as most of those skills still apply to PU and each other. I also think they should really take the viability rankings into account and take time to learn the current metagame as those are key to being successful both at battling and teambuilding. I also see a lot of green to intermediate players playing too riskily, a habit I really have been working on and it is paying off in a big way. If you know you need to keep a Pokemon for something down the line it is not worth risking a double or predicting a double if you have other ways out of a situation. Also, I would save set up for more optimal times, sometimes it is better to just attack. I see too many chokes in room tours and ladder games, get momentum and try to set the pace of the battle.

TJ: Who are some of your favorite people on Smogon?
Shuckle: I was afraid of this question, I am so sappy and open I genuinely remember and like most people I meet. I will miss people some people but know I still like you all. I would say cryalot was my biggest friend on this site. If it wasn't for him I would not be where I am today, we really pushed each other and got along that well, I miss him and hope his education is going great. Akir and I have been friends for a long time and similar to cryalot he pushed me to be as good of player and chatroom contributor as I can be. You, TJ, are in a similar role and I am thankful I met you. Taskr, kay, Megazard, MaroGod, RawMelon, the infamous Tect, poh and so many more I couldn't possibly list really stuck with me, some are gone now, but you guys really make me want to continue to learn and grow.

TJ: Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
Shuckle: Toy Time King really impressed me with his enthusiasm and kindness I am super glad he got room voice recently and I am excited to see him develop his skills. gum sticks out as a potential big player she has been doing well on the ladder and even contributes to PU in the forums. The same can be said for Oathkeepre. Chloe while not new play has been performing very well in both the room and in tours. She is a great new addition to PU and am happy she joined our community.

TJ: Finally, could you give us a cool team and briefly explain it?
Shuckle:

Stoot (Stoutland) @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Flooer (Roselia) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Spikes

Oolve (Sableye) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Moose (Sandslash-Alola) @ Icium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

O_O (Mesprit) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Stealth Rock

Doono (Aurorus) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Rock]

This is a very solid balance team. It is heavy on the offensive side with Spike stack and Stoutland paired with the hail core. It also features the trademarked Shuckly Double Os!! Good matchups across the board and gives you plenty of play options, I really enjoy his one I am sure others will as well.

TJ: Thanks for your time, Shuckle! As always, if you guys have your own questions, feel free to ask them below! :blobthumbsup:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Miss you shuckledad

What musicians/bands are you keen on specifically? (Please say tyr)

What is your favorite harry potter book?

I'll also try and get a better timezone :(
Miss you too.

Tool has been in my head for like 2 years now they are that good. I also really been jamming on The Smiths. I made a playlist on Spotify so I have been shuffling that for a few months now.

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite of the series, still has the early family-friendly magical feel. but starts to dive into what will become a very dark time in that universe.

I will get you a job easily :heart:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
smh why do i answer your pms if no shoutout :(

favorite pokemon to use in pu? pokemon in pu that is cool conceptually, but wish was better?

position on lacing cupcakes with laxatives, then delivering said cupcakes to your co-workers afterward?

best dad joke you've made of 2019?

thoughts on using offensive roselia in guzzlord meta?

ShuckleDeath

smh why do i answer your pms if no shoutout :(

favorite pokemon to use in pu? pokemon in pu that is cool conceptually, but wish was better?

position on lacing cupcakes with laxatives, then delivering said cupcakes to your co-workers afterward?

best dad joke you've made of 2019?

thoughts on using offensive roselia in guzzlord meta?
Who are you again? You fit in there too, I am sure I missed a bunch of people like Ranbu No Melody :toast:

I really like using hail core and Sableye fsr. HOOT!

I like my co-workers. Make it the bosses and I would force feed them those cupcakes.

*knock knock* "whos there" *take a* "take a who?" *Take a shower you smell*

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Shookle goat, glad to have met you on this site :] ur great

How did you get into yo-yo's? What's your most impressive yo-yo trick?

What got you into rating teams on the RMT thread, great job there btw

What is it like being the dad of the new generation of PU players :o

When is Owen winning ssnl?

Love you bud <3

ShuckleDeath

Shookle goat, glad to have met you on this site :] ur great

How did you get into yo-yo's? What's your most impressive yo-yo trick?

What got you into rating teams on the RMT thread, great job there btw

What is it like being the dad of the new generation of PU players :o

When is Owen winning ssnl?

Love you bud <3
How did I forget to mention Specs same :blobsad: feelings my way friend.

I have been interested in Yo-Yos every since I can remember it was only until I got into adulthood and could find and afford good yo-yos i could really learn them. I am just happy I can them on the string ngl.

I always liked helping people with teams, and PU RMTers were in short supply so I just started keeping up with them the RMT community took notice of my work and have been very welcoming, they make it easy to want to stick around.

My oldest isn't showing interest. I am trying to teach Owen now but he just keeps chewing on the keyboard.

At this rate I'd give it about 2 years watch out fellas he coming for ya.

Love You more
Ly shuckle, just wanna say I aspire to have a family like yours in the future c:
Same friend and that means a lot thank you so much!

ShuckleDeath

You forgot me :(, also:

Which Mon in NU you want to drop on PU?;

We going to make Simisage great again?;

Most annoying mon in the actual meta (Excluding Lilligant)?
Yes, I thought about that right before I went to sleep, made me feel really bad because you are legitimately like in my top 3 love you Mr. Gooden Froodys. Also, they may not be PU main but ggopw and UBERLandon21 have been wonderful glad I met them guys.

Definitely the crazy chinchilla, Cinccino!

I believe we already have my friend.

Mudsdale is really annoying to me like it looks like it should drop to a move but they always hang on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)