PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Some of you might remember me talking about this game a month ago or so on IRC. Well, now it's out and I want to hear what you think! I've been playing almost nonstop (when I have free time) and I'm loving it more the more I play. I Platinum'd the game on release day (thanks to owning it two weeks early) and wish there were more online trophies. I also wish some of the online bugs got fixed, but other than that I'm having a lot of fun. I play Sackboy as my main, with Spike and Raiden as backup characters. If you own the game, lets play! I'm Stranka on PSN.

dont own this game yet, probably will have to until around Christmas but I am beyond excited to play it. Looks really good, I am just interested in hearing what people are saying about it.
Looking forward to playing as Sly, Big Daddy and Sack Boy especially!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Don't own the game yet but I played it at a friends house.

-This game is a lot of fun! It takes a while to get used to but I see a lot of potential in this game
-Favorite characters are D.I.N.O(Dante in name only), Jak, Ratchet and Sackboy.
-Sackboy is soooooooooooo overpowered lmao. Needs a nerf asap.
-It's also an unabashed Smash Bros clone. It has an opening intro. Like Smash Bros! It has a main menu. Like Smash Bros! It has a training mode. Like smash bros! It has a meter system... like Smash Bros? err. Oh. It has a roster. Like Smash Bros! Yeah, yeah you get the point. Fortunately it's one of the better Smash Bros clones out there.

Overall a fun game, when I get the game i am so challenging you to a match Phil. In fact, i'll take all challengers!

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't have it and didn't play the demo beta thing or whatever, but I watched my brother play it a lot. Looks like a lot of fun - when he grabs it I'll probably be tailing along as a second player with him. Gonna go around destroying people as Raiden.

I've been thinking about getting it more and more lately. i'll take it you think it's worth it, might wait till the price drops a bit then pick it up, looking forward to playing as Toro and Big Daddy. :)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have a serious question for people who actually like this game.

Did you play the beta? Did you think the beta was an absolute clusterfuck of a shitty game made by people who had no idea what made Smash Bros (or any fighting game) fun? Is the full version better? In what ways has it improved?

that's some nice viral marketing there phil

The game looks kinda interesting but it really is a shame there's no Crash. I guess talks between Sony and Activision didn't go very well (or are still going)

Did you play the beta? Did you think the beta was an absolute clusterfuck of a shitty game made by people who had no idea what made Smash Bros (or any fighting game) fun? Is the full version better? In what ways has it improved?
What's disturbing about this is that it's being sold as a hardcore competitive game-- like the traditional fighting gamer's "answer" to Smash Bros. I can't imagine giving a single shit about it as a serious 1v1 game, though!

It's probably okay fun as a casual game though? Like whatever. There are so many things that seem wrong about it (I haven't played it so I'm reserving full judgement) that I basically have zero interest at this point, though.

Yeah, it seems like a not very good hodge podge mix between Smash and traditional fighting games. And as much as I like both of those things, it just sorta went the wrong direction for me. Lack of edge games (the best part of smash) and sorta boring looking combos kinda puts me off of it.

I should clarify I only played the beta but I was also watching some matches between some of the team behind the game and it was still kinda lackluster looking. Maybe as the game grows it'll get better but as it is right now, competitively it's sorta just whatever to me at this point.

It's prolly still fun casually, though.

Downloaded the demo when it was available a few weeks ago. It's just a shitty, watered down Smash Bros. wannabe. (can't even call it a clone, because at least that would be an improvement) The roster is weak and the mechanics are uninteresting and shallow.

Not even worth renting.

If you try not comparing it to Smash Bros you can see it in a different light, it's fun at its core and can appeal to many people. When I played the beta I had a lot of fun with it, only gripe I had was being flung across the map as soon as I got close to someone but that was probably be just being bad at the game. On the Crash note I think they're still having talks with Activision but there's a problem with price or something, I'd also like to see Spyro make an appearance. There is DLC planned pretty soon and more along the way so changes can be made and such.

First off, you have to compare this game to SSB because this game is a clone of it. Needless to say I played the demo. The characters had a lot of interesting moves SlyFox could turn invisible at his leisure and had moves like Fox/Falco.

The game felt clunky. The super-move thing was meh. Character variation was nice.

Fat Princess being an almost exact clone of Peach.. meh.

SSB fan so obvious bias

Traditional fighting combos is a cool idea, there method of making the game more accessible to the casual is kinda annoying though. Some people are down for the big risk/reward mechanic. Balancing issues are a huge pain though (some supers are too good)

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I got the Game on Tuesday and it is pretty fun to play, but it is pretty repetitive. It is a lot like Super Smash Bros. Brawl like others say, but it does have its differences. Sro Far as PK Gaming said, Sackboy is terribly overpowered as is Kratos. They both need some nerfs since they are the two most spammed characters online. So far I really don't think my $60 for the game were worth it but I hope that maybe I will start to enjoy the game

I picked this game up yesterday and it's a lot of fun so far. i'm maining as Parappa so far and its going alright, I'm still really bad at this game but oh well =D

There are some serious balance issues that concern me right now, Kratos and Sackboy are ridiculous. If I ever play Kratos I can win matches just by spamming square until im level 3, and that usually works. Online it just seems like Kratos, Raiden and Sly are everywhere, I can't go a match without seeing them. Outside of that and a few glitches its a lot of fun, I'm hoping for some good DLC in the future!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
First off, you have to compare this game to SSB because this game is a clone of it. Needless to say I played the demo. The characters had a lot of interesting moves SlyFox could turn invisible at his leisure and had moves like Fox/Falco.

The game felt clunky. The super-move thing was meh. Character variation was nice.

SSB fan so obvious bias
well that's not necessarily true

unlike SSB, All-Stars is going to get balance changes.

If you haven't heard yet, Kat from Gravity Rush and Emmett from Starhawk will be free DLC characters in January! I'm really stoked about Kat, because Gravity Rush is my favorite PS Vita game to date. Anyways, here are some replies to select posts in this thread:

Don't own the game yet but I played it at a friends house.

-This game is a lot of fun! It takes a while to get used to but I see a lot of potential in this game
-Favorite characters are D.I.N.O(Dante in name only), Jak, Ratchet and Sackboy.
-Sackboy is soooooooooooo overpowered lmao. Needs a nerf asap.
-It's also an unabashed Smash Bros clone. It has an opening intro. Like Smash Bros! It has a main menu. Like Smash Bros! It has a training mode. Like smash bros! It has a meter system... like Smash Bros? err. Oh. It has a roster. Like Smash Bros! Yeah, yeah you get the point. Fortunately it's one of the better Smash Bros clones out there.

Overall a fun game, when I get the game i am so challenging you to a match Phil. In fact, i'll take all challengers!
Bring it on, sucka. Also, f your Sackboy hate. Watch me defend Sackboy here.

If you weren't a fan of the beta, you probably won't like the full version. Some people can't seem to get it out of their head that this is a completely different game than Smash, and it's truly a shame. The ironic part is, if this game played exactly like Smash, people would simply complain that it's exactly like Smash.

that's some nice viral marketing there phil

The game looks kinda interesting but it really is a shame there's no Crash. I guess talks between Sony and Activision didn't go very well (or are still going)
Psh, if anything this is "grass roots" marketing :P

And yes, sucks about Crash. Fingers crossed he'll be DLC along with Spyro, Cloud, etc. That being said, I'm super excited for Kat as DLC, and might change my mains to her depending on how she plays!

SSB fan so obvious bias
I don't see the connection between Sly Cooper and Fox/Falco, personally, but I did notice similarities between Fat Princess and Peach.

Again, though, despite being inspired by Smash, this game is completely different. Anybody trying to draw direct comparisons will surely end up dissatisfied because the game simply does not play like Smash. Once you get used to the unique mechanics, though, this game gets really fun.

I am also a huge Smash fan, and have probably spent more time playing that franchise than most people here. However, I don't compare Smash to PSAS just like I wouldn't compare Halo to Gears of War; they are two completely different games that play very differently, despite both being the same genre. I think most people who can separate the two will enjoy both.

Alice

The worst taste in music
I may consider it because of Kat, but if the dlc is overpriced as capcom shit then i guess i'll still pass...

Well, beyond the obvious replay value from playing with some friends, I don't see this being taken seriously in a competitive format.

The characters each have relatively easy and obvious combos that can be pulled off. There are a handful of combos that have solid utility, and you will relentlessly repeat them to the point of boredom. In fact, the entire game is a boring repetitious snoozefest. It lacks the competitive charm of, yes of course, Smash Bros. While neither of these games have a huge variety of moves, the difference is in speed and pacing. All-Stars spends its time trying too hard to be every fighting game. The moves given aren't particularly flexible, creating this muddled middle ground. It isn't precise enough to be compared to Street Fighter and it isn't smooth enough to be compared to Smash Bros.

Moving a little further into the jack of all trades complex this game wishes it had, the KO system is stale and unimpressive. The entire "use your super to win" setup turns this game into a huge clusterfuck from start to finish. Needless to say, Free-For-All games are just a mess. It isn't fun, and it is poorly thought out.

While there is an obvious attempt to effectively balance the roster, it is generally a failed effort. The likes of Drake, Cole, and Raiden generally outperform other counterparts that feature similar play-styles. Admittedly there are a few interesting characters like Sackboy and Fat Princess which can be quite fun to play, so I'll give them that.

I could go on about a list of stuff, but I'll just end this with some pros. I applaud SuperBot for giving characters a rather solid variety within each of their movesets. Playing this game in a 2v2 environment is also quite fun, as you have a good opportunity to work with your teammate to strategically chain movesets together easily. Plus, you don't have 4 people filling up the screen with seizure inducing slugfests.

Overall, a lackluster affair. I'll probably keep this game around until December just for when the family comes over. After that this one's going straight to sale.

I've enjoyed what little I've played so far. The connection to Smash Bros isn't hard to make, but once you look past that initial comparison, it's a very enjoyable game. Not necessarily competitive, but fun.

I'm excited for Emmett more than Kat mostly because i've never played Gravity rush and I've played a lot of Starhawk, I can only imagine what Emmett's supers will be, I sense a hawk being introduced as a level 3 though :P.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I heard its a really simple game compared to smash bros, but those level power up things sound interesting.

also nice advertising phil :>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)