Done Please add a Pokémon Stadium 2 simulator in Showdown

Hi all, I want to ask the programmers if they can add a Pokémon Stadium 2 simulator in Pokémon Showdown. As you may know, in Gen 2 there are two types of mechanics: Cartridge and Stadium 2. Cartridge mechanics are those that are used when players battle through Pokémon Gold, Silver or Crystal, they're used all days in Showdown, specially when people play Gen 2 Overused. On the other hand, Stadium 2 mechanics are used when people play in Pokémon Stadium 2 (or Pokémon Stadium Gold and Silver as it is known in Japan).

You may remember that in Gen 1, the mechanics differ a lot between Cartridge and Stadium 1; fortunately, in the case of Gen 2, there are only 14 differences between Cartridge and Stadium 2 mechanics, those are the following:

1. Team Preview is always enforced (it can't even be deactivated in the Options of the game).

2. Stadium's Sleep Clause is used instead of Smogon's Sleep Clause:
Like the case of Team Preview, it is always enforced and can't be deactivated in the game's options, it is even enforced in the Anything Goes Multiplayer option of the game. There is already a command that allows players to enforce Stadium's Sleep Clause in Gen 2, it is the following: "/tour rules stadium sleep clause". If you want to know better how Stadium's Sleep Clause works, please click the following link.

3. Freeze Clause is always enforced: Again, it can't be deactivated in the game's options and it is also enforced in the Anything Goes Multiplayer option of the game.

4. Dragon Scale is useless and doesn't boost the power of Dragon Type moves.

5. Dragon Fang is fixed and finally boosts the power of the Dragon Type moves by 10 %.

6. Only items that have effect in battles can be equipped to pokémon, items like Mails, the Sun Stone or the Ultra Ball can't be equipped at all (the only exception is the Dragon Scale item despite the fact that it no longer boosts the power of the Dragon Type moves).

7. Bersek Gene is buffed, the user only gets Confused for 1 to 5 turns. If the pokémon gets Confused for 4 turns, the status is lifted during its Attack phase on turn 5, just like it happens with normal Confusion.

8. The Sleep status is nerfed, it lasts 1-4 turns. On turn 1 the pokémon never wakes up; on turn 2 it has a 33.3 % chance of waking up; on turn 3 it has a 50 % chance of waking up; finally, on turn 4 it is guaranteed to wake up.

9. Rollovers never occur, e.g. if a Max Attack Level 100 Marowak uses Swords Dance it gets a final Attack of 999, subsequent uses of Swords Dance don't do anything.

10. Belly Drum doesn't raise the Attack 2 stages when the pokémon has less than half of its Hit Points, instead of that, the move fails.

11. Present uses a different damage formula, which can be found here (in summary, the move causes a Base Damage of 40, 80 or 120 or heals the opponent by 25 %, unless it has full health, in which case, the move fails).

12. Self KO Clause is always enforced:
If your last pokémon uses Self-Destruct or Explosion, you lose; on the other hand, Destiny Bond and Perish Song always fail when they're used by your last pokémon (in the case of Perish Song, the Count Down doesn't even take place). Like the other clauses, Self-KO Clause can't be deactivated in the game.

13. Recoil Moves Clause is enforced, but a bit different: If both players have only one pokémon left and one KOs the other with a Recoil move, the user of the move doesn't get Recoil damage. Like the other clauses, this one also can't be deactivated in the game.

14. Item Clause is enforced in all Story Modes and Multiplayer Modes of the game, except in Anything Goes Battles where players are free to decide if they want to implement it or not.

It would be good if we could have a Pokémon Stadium 2 simulator in Showdown for two reasons:

I. It would help to host Item Clause tournaments in Gen 2, which are common (not as common as regular OU, though).

II. It would help to make Showdown more friendly to Japanese players, which have began to play more often in the simulator and are a bit frustrated when they can't play formats like Poké Cup or Little Cup Ubers with Pokémon Stadium 2 mechanics which are the standard in Japan (here is a video of one of those matches, the fight starts at 6:18). Cartridge mechanics are also used in Japan, but Stadium 2 mechanics are still more used.

Finally, I want to take this opportunity to also ask the programmers if they can add a command that allows battles to have the rule of "enter with 6 pokemon and choose 3 for the battle", this would be for Gen 2 and also for Gen 1. This rule would allow TOs to host tournaments of formats like Pika Cup, Prime Cup, Nintendo Cup 97 and Gen 2 Poké Cup (the two latter were already approved to be included in the Challenge option of Showdown).

That's all for now, thank you in advance for reading my post and thank you for building this wonderful simulator that has allowed us to play many fun battles and know many good friends in the process.

pokemonstadium2.jpg

Source: Bulbapedia's Article about Gen II Glitches.

Important Note

My friend Chio from Japan told me that there are other four changes between Cartridge and Stadium 2 mechanics that I was not aware of, I'll include them in this post, which can also be foud below.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention. We've already been playing Poke Cup in Pokémon Showdown, we had to use Cartridge mechanics, though. We've planned to host an unnoficial tournament of the format in the following weeks, Japanese and International players will compete on it.

Here are some replays of Poké Cup:

Match 1 with MissingNo. a veteran Poké Cup player of Japan
Match 2 with Shellnuts
Match 3 with FOMG from Germany
Match 4 with SinFlower
Match 5 with Stealth Croc from USA
Match 6 with Zalarye from Saudi Arabia
Match 7 with Tako, another good Poké Cup player from Japan
Match 8 with Chio, another Poké Cup veteran from Japan

We also have threads and sample teams of the format:

Poké Cup Thread by Chio
Sample Teams and Suggested Ruleset for Poké Cup
Sample Teams built by the Japanese Poké Cup Community, translated by Shellnuts and fixed by FOMG

That's all for now, greetings!

Last edited:
#1 reason for Stadium 2 to be supported is that Nintendo Cup 2000 has been approved for a while and could probably be coded very quickly by reusing some of Enigami's NC97 work, but the tournament that format would be based on used Stadium for some, if not all of its matches (Japanese players can clarify on this). This means mechanically it should be on Stadium 2 as far as I know. We have some hilariously low quality vhs videos labeled as tournament final games to work with if proof of this is needed.

More differences between Cartridge and Stadium 2 Mechanics

Players can see the Hit Points of the pokémon that are fighting (I can't believe I forgot to include this obvious difference in the post above).

16. If a pokémon gets Burnt and then uses a move that raises its Attack, the Attack reduction is ignored, e.g. when a Snorlax gets Burnt, its Attack drops to -2 (it loses 50 % of its Attack stat); however, if it uses Curse once, its Attack increases to +1 instead of -1.

17. If a pokémon gets Paralyzed and then uses a move that increases its Speed, the Speed reduction is ignored, e.g. when a Raichu gets Paralyzed, its Speed drops to -6 (it loses 75 % of its Speed stat); however, if it uses Agility, its Speed increases to +2 instead of -4.

18. In Cartridge, if Fissure or Horn Drill miss and the opponent uses Counter after that in the same turn, the user of the One Hit KO move is hit by Counter and faints even if it has full health (oddly, this doesn't happen when Guillotine misses). In Stadium 2 mechanics the situation changes, if Fissure or Horn Drill miss, Counter fails and does zero damage.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)