Please Help With My RU Team

Starting out with this team I meet with retaliative success but as I rose through the ranks I meet with increasing failure. I'm not sure what I could be doing differently. I would appreciate some advice.

Tybrosion (Typhlosion) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast
A full health choice specs eruption form a typhlosion packs so much power. I use blaze instead of flash fire mainly because I don't have access to a HA Cyndaquil, But also because by the time typhlosion to weak to use eruption fire blast is getting the blaze bonus which has made the difference in many situations. Hidden power grass hits all of his weaknesses super effectively making short work of Seismitoad but hasn't proven useful in very many situations due to its low power. I tried using choice scarf but I have found that without choice specs typhlosion simply does not have enough power.

Lt. Surge (Jolteon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch

Jolteon is amazing. It is the fastest non-boosted mon in the tier. He does an excellent job breaking and forcing switches against the common bulky water types such Alomomola and Jellicent that give Typhlosion a hard time. However, assault vest Slowking is very capable of walling him. He has just enough special bulk to survive non super effective attacks and OHKO or 2HKO in turn against certain opponents. Thunderbolt is his primary stab, hidden power ice hits grass and specialy weak ground and rock types that would normally wall Jolteon very hard. However he stacks a ground weakness with Typhlosion.

Benedict (Togetic) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Toxic
Togetic might not seem like much but he is easily my favorite cleric in all of Pokemon. With eviolite Togetic is capable of walling physical and special attacks extremely well. he is the premiere mixed wall. Togetic provides the team with much appreciated heal bell support while also being able to stall out a lot of threats. He does present the problem of stacked ice weakness, however he is very capable of walling ice type attacks.

Pumpking (Gourgeist-Small) @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Substitute
Gourgeist severs the role of spin blocker and is my answer to fighting and normal types. I use Goutgeist-small Rather than XL because you don't need very much bulk for sub-leech. However getting your leech seeds and substitutes up is a necessity if your goal is successfully stall.

Swagonfly (Flygon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- toxic
- Roost

Flygon provides much needed defog support so that Typhlosion as well as all my other mons can come in without fear of stealth rocks. Of the several sets that I have tried, the other two being offensives sets of the special and physical types, I have met with the most success with this one. toxic breaks down the walls that Jolteon and Typhlosion cannot, roost provides recovery thought the match, and earthquake is a very reliable stab that provides descent damage without investment. He stakes an Ice weakness with Togetic and Gourgeist, However thus far I have found that to be a non issue.

Solid (Steelix) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
Steelix has the primary purpose of setting up stealth rocks. He also serves as my physical tank and is quite capable of doing good damage. He creates stacked weaknesses of ground with Typhlosion and Jolteon and fire with Gourgiest.

The problems that I see with this team are the extreme weaknesses to ice, Ground, and fire and my lack of physical sweepers. Of everything on my team I think Steelix needs to go but i'm not sure what to replace him with. Thank you for reading and for your responses.

Hi, when first looking at this team some immediate threats I can identify are Grass types, particularly Venusaur and SE variants of Virizion, as well as Dark types, especially Absol and Sneasel as they carry coverage for Togetic and can wittle Steelix. The most prominent threat to this team is Mega Glalie.

First, Typhlosion currently isn't viable in the RU metagame due to its lackluster movepool paired with its based stats. Furthermore, all of the fire type Pokemon in the tier outclass it. Due to your team needing an answer to Grass Type Pokemon and bugs like Escav I would recommend another Fire type to take its place. When looking upon the tiers Fire types, Emboar would seem to have the best place on this team, adding a dark + ice resist, in comparison to Pokemon like Delphox. Emboar with a scarf set provides speed control and synergy with gourgeist. Furthermore Emboar is much more reliable in taking out Pokemon with its coverage of wild charge / superpower / flare blitz, allowing it to tackle waters and rocks with much more ease than Typhlosion.

SpDef Togetic can be effective in conjunction with Steelix and Gourgeist, checking Pokemon like Houndoom and Meloetta. The set you are currently using is very passive and due to this can be easily taken advantage of by set up sweepers. In particular the moves Protect and Toxic are superfluous on this set, and coverage would definitely be of more benefit for Togetic. running Dazzling Gleam and Fire Blast over these two mons implies that Togetic can apply pressure to a variety of common types such as Dark, Fighting and Steel upon switch in. For example, if a Mega Glalie chooses to switch in upon Togetic, you can fire off a Fire Blast.

Gourgeist is definitely an underrated Pokemon and can offer a check to a plethora of Pokemon including Fighting-types and most Virizion variants. You state that bulk is needed in letting Gourgeist get up a sub faster, however due to the presence of a Heal Beller you can Heal Status and I believe that you should run a Gourgeist forme with more bulk to check these Fighting-type Pokemon better. For this reason I would suggest Gourgeist Super over Gourgeist Small. Furthermore this set is passive with Protect and Subsitute as it does not really need it and instead, running a set of Synthesis / Will-O-Wisp / Seed Bomb / Leech Seed. Through these changes you will be able to punish water / ground types, while also being able to more easily recover with Synthesis as compared to solely leech seed recovery. Furthermore I would recommend running Colbur Berry as it gives you a better matchup vs Dark type users, allowing you to Wisp them + take less from the spammable Knock Off.

Regarding Flygon's EV, the Special Defensive set is not that effective anymore, and it needs max speed to check a lot of stuff in the current metagame, ex: Magneton, Hoopa, Drapion. For this reason I would recommend running 252 HP / 4 HP / 252 Speed with a jolly nature. I agree in using Toxic as it can effectively bring out Alomomola and getting out a toxic is very beneficial on this team.

Finally, due to Fletchinder being able to easily take advantage of this team, and heavy slam not being as effective with regular Steelix I would recommend updating your team to have a Steelix set with Stone Edge / Gyro Ball / Earthquake / Stealth Rock and 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Def with a Sassy Nature. Gyro Ball is much more effective against Pokemon like Flygon, Sigilyph and Mega Glalie. Furthermore, 252 SpDef is very essential as Steelix already has a great Defensive stat but lacks in the Special department. Finally leftovers is definitely more important than Rocky Helmet on this mon to preserve sturdy and to have passive recovery.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Heavy Slam

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Gourgeist-Large @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Hope I helped with the changes, good luck with your team! :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)