SM OU please rate my very first competitive team!

Hey guys!!! ive been a lifelong fan of pokemon, but ive just gotten into competitive battling a couple days ago and im having a blast. ive tried some different teirs and some different teams in each of them, but I've kind of settled into OU with this team. A lot of them are copy+paste from smogon, but i have switched a handful of things up a little bit and i feel pretty good about putting this team together.

I have fairly okay success (im about 1300+ right now) but i definitely get hard countered some times. If you guys were to take a look at my team and give me some feedback that'd be much appreciated!! Thanks:)

chompy (Garchomp) (F) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

almost always my lead. i set up stealth rocks and depending on what mon im up against, i either go straight for stone edge z, earthquake, or if i know theyre switching or i can take a hit, i swords dance. i kind of run this guy until hes dead and sometimes i get pretty far before i have to switch or i faint. ive found her to be a very strong lead and i can blast through teams sometimes, but at the very least i always get stealth rocks off.

dua (Lopunny) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

a super good late game sweeper. ive found a lot of the tier is weak to fighting, or at least takes neutral damage so shes a great pick. Fake out is great for free damage, and return is a very nice reliable stab move. i also have ice punch for landorus-t, gliscor, tornadus-t, or any other annoying flying and/or ground types. also great for mega sableye and some other ghost types because of scrappt. i also really like mega loppunny lol

punchy man (Breloom) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

this man is a sleeper hit. pun intended lol. when i dont lead with garchomp, i lead with breloom. i spore, swords dance once or twice, and then just smash through everything. technician is a godsend, letting him ohko both greninjas with mach punch without a boost. bullet seed also does great neutral damage to a lot of the tier, and is great for mimkyu's disguise. i made him jolly to try and ensure spore for setup as often as i can. grass types are annoying for him since their immune but thats where volcarona comes in.

bugboy (Volcarona) (M) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

basically my counter for grass/psychic types. he hates stealth rocks a lot, but being able to ohko ferrothorn/scizor is nice, and having that coverage for magearna is also nice. i can also take out mega alakazam pretty reliably. if i can get a quiver dance off, it becomes even more potent. flame body is also really good for crippling physical attackers. roost is also very nice in case stealth rocks are still out or i need to stall.

michael (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire] / [Flying] / Shadow Ball

lowkey this guy is the mvp. he can stall break pretty efficiently, and also take a lot of hits. fusion bolt and ice beam are excellent for water, flying, and dragon types. roost is also super amazing for longevity. ive had trouble deciding what his last move should be. hp fire seems to do pretty well but ive swapped it out for different coverage moves (hp flying for fighting/mega venasaur) and im just trying to see what fits.

johnny (Excadrill) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

kyuerem-black and this guy make up the defensive core of my team. i can switch in on just about anything really safely because of his great defensive typing. i use him as a spinner, and also as an anti-fairy. he can also make for a late gamer sweeper if needs be because of his decent speed and great power after a swords dance. Earthquake also is a reliable strong stab move.

and thats my very first competitive team!! im still learning things so let me know what you guys think or what there is i should know moving forward. im having a lot of fun but i know theres a lot of room to improve. thanks so much!!

Last edited:
You do know that Kyurem-Black‘s Teravolt negates M-Venu‘s Thick Fat? Ice Beam already nails M-Venu for super effective damage. HP Fire on the other hand allows you to break Ferrothorn and M-Scizor.

You do know that Kyurem-Black‘s Teravolt negates M-Venu‘s Thick Fat? Ice Beam already nails M-Venu for super effective damage. HP Fire on the other hand allows you to break Ferrothorn and M-Scizor.
oh heck you're totally right i forgot his ability ignores others abilities. there is my absolute noobness shining through. ive been sticking with hp fire but thanks for the reminder

Last edited:
Your team is extremely weak to several types of moves.
  • Flying-type attacks hits Breloom for 4x damage, and both Mega Lopunny and Volcarona for 2x damage, with your only flying resistance being Excadrill.
  • Fairy-type attacks hit Garchomp, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, and Kyurem-B for 2x damage, although your remaining 2 Pokemon resist them..
  • Fighting-type attacks hit Mega Lopunny, Kyurem-B, and Excadrill for 2x damage, with your only fighting resistance being Volcarona.
  • Ice-type attacks hit Garchomp for 4x damage and Breloom for 2x damage, with your only Ice resistance being Volcarona.
  • You have no ground immunity.
Generally, you want to avoid having more than 2 members of your team who are weak to a single type of move, and if it is absolutely necessary to have more than 2, you should have multiple Pokemon who resist that type to offset it.

Normally I'd offer some recommendations for some Pokemon to swap out, but in order to balance out the weaknesses effectively you'd have to change the team so much that it wouldn't be the same team.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Your team is extremely weak to several types of moves.
  • Flying-type attacks hits Breloom for 4x damage, and both Mega Lopunny and Volcarona for 2x damage, with your only flying resistance being Excadrill.
  • Fairy-type attacks hit Garchomp, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, and Kyurem-B for 2x damage, although your remaining 2 Pokemon resist them..
  • Fighting-type attacks hit Mega Lopunny, Kyurem-B, and Excadrill for 2x damage, with your only fighting resistance being Volcarona.
  • Ice-type attacks hit Garchomp for 4x damage and Breloom for 2x damage, with your only Ice resistance being Volcarona.
  • You have no ground immunity.
Generally, you want to avoid having more than 2 members of your team who are weak to a single type of move, and if it is absolutely necessary to have more than 2, you should have multiple Pokemon who resist that type to offset it.

Normally I'd offer some recommendations for some Pokemon to swap out, but in order to balance out the weaknesses effectively you'd have to change the team so much that it wouldn't be the same team.
You have a good point there, but you forgot what Pokemon can handle the type offensively.

Kyu-B can hit Flying-types SE with Fusion Bolt and Ice Beam, Excadrill can hit Fairy-types with Iron Head, and for Magearna it can use Earthquake. Ice types can be handled with Mega Lopunny’s HJK or Excadrill’s Iron Head. Also note that Ice-types are not very well represented here, with Kyu-B being the best Ice here. Most Ice-type damage would come from coverage from Lando-T or something else.

Edit: note that this may not be correct. Damage from the moves may not confirm KOes.

You have a good point there, but you forgot what Pokemon can handle the type offensively.

Kyu-B can hit Flying-types SE with Fusion Bolt and Ice Beam, Excadrill can hit Fairy-types with Iron Head, and for Magearna it can use Earthquake. Ice types can be handled with Mega Lopunny’s HJK or Excadrill’s Iron Head. Also note that Ice-types are not very well represented here, with Kyu-B being the best Ice here. Most Ice-type damage would come from coverage from Lando-T or something else.

Edit: note that this may not be correct. Damage from the moves may not confirm KOes.
That's true, but we all know that a Pokemon doesn't have to be an ice-type to carry an ice-type move.

Let's take, for example, Mega Medicham, which normally runs Ice-Punch. Mega Medicham outspeeds both Kyurem-B and Excadrill (both of which it OHKOs as long as Excadrill's sash is broken), and OHKOs Mega Lopunny with Zen Headbutt. It also OHKOs Garchomp with Ice Punch and 2HKOs Volcarona in a variety of ways. Actually, come to think of it, Mega Medicham pretty much wrecks this entire team single-handed.

OK, maybe a different example, then. Let's use... idk, Mega Latios, using its Mixed Mega Attacker set from the dex listed here:

Latios @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Mixed Mega Latios can take any hit from Mega Lopunny and OHKO it with Psychic. It outspeeds Garchomp and OHKOs it with Ice Beam. It takes 27.9% - 33.2% from a Breloom Mach Punch (which it outspeeds otherwise) and can OHKO with Ice Beam or Psychic. It beats Excadrill 1v1 with Earthquake as long as Latios is over half HP. Volcarona and Kyurem can mostly deal with it, but that's still 4 members of the team that are weak to Latios.

Or, look at the standard Terrain Seed Sweeper Hawlucha set. Between Acrobatics and High Jump Kick, it outspeeds and OHKOs everything on the team even without a Swords Dance except for Garchomp, which it 2HKOs.

The point is, it's not just about beating Pokemon of a certain type, because if your normal answer to that type isn't effective against a Pokemon carrying coverage moves, then you're in trouble.

Here's the full weakness/resistance chart for this team:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)