Poison [Toxic Spikes unbanned!]

Illusio

Bold and Brash
Poison

For years now, you have felt ashamed whenever you accidentally poisoned a Pokemon with Poison Jab/the like, when you could have burned it, or at least given it a worse status. However, this meta is about to change that. Not unlike burns, if a Pokemon becomes poisoned (not badly poisoned), its special moves will deal half damage. This leads to new threats such as Weezing and other Poison Gassers.

Bans: Ubers
Unbans: None, as of yet.

Poison Gas/Poison Powder - Essentially the Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave of Poisoning.
Sludge Bomb/Poison Jab/Gunk Shot - With the same secondary effect rates as Scald, these moves are extremely viable in Poison.
Weezing - With access to Poison Gas, Will-O-Wisp, and having good general bulk, Weezing serves as a good wall.
Tentacruel - Along the same lines as Weezing, having Scald and Sludge Bomb allows Tentacruel to serve as another good wall.
Weedle - The most infuriating Pokemon in-game, suddenly viable

perms from Eevee General, and Snaq and Spartan also liked the idea

Last edited:
I think you mean Sludge Bomb, not Poison Jab for Tentacruel in the OP.

Anyway, cool idea! I swear I've heard this idea before being theorized in the OM rom, but now it's a reality!

Toxic Spikes become much more viable, I can see Tenta, Cofagrigus, Scolipede, and other T-Spikes users become more viable. It's like a burning entry hazard but for SpA instead. Best of all, you can still choose whether or not to have regular of toxic poison. :]
I guess I can't read. X_X

Illusio

Bold and Brash

Anyway, cool idea! I swear I've heard this idea before being theorized in the OM rom, but now it's a reality!

Toxic Spikes become much more viable, I can see Tenta, Cofagrigus, Scolipede, and other T-Spikes users become more viable. It's like a burning entry hazard but for SpA instead. Best of all, you can still choose whether or not to have regular of toxic poison. :]
Toxic Spikes are banned, as both me and TEG agreed that it would be overcentralizing in the meta.

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I guess I can't read. X_X
I've suggested it before in the OM room, I don't know if others have as well. It's good because finally regular poison isn't 100% outclassed.

Toxic spikes being banned is definitely good, there are no flaming spikes for a reason.

Absol, Arcanine, Arceus, Banette, Blaziken, Braixen, Camerupt, Chandelure, Charizard, Charmander, Charmeleon, Chimchar, Cofagrigus, Combusken, Cyndaquil, Darkrai, Darmanitan, Darumaka, Delphox, Drifblim, Drifloon, Dusclops, Dusknoir, Duskull, Emboar, Entei, Fennekin, Flareon, Fletchinder, Frillish, Gallade, Gardevoir, Gastly, Gengar, Giratina, Gourgeist, Growlithe, Haunter, Heatmor, Heatran, Ho-Oh, Houndoom, Houndour, Infernape, Jellicent, Kirlia, Koffing, Lampent, Larvesta, Litleo, Litwick, Magby, Magcargo, Magmar, Magmortar, Mew, Mewtwo, Misdreavus, Mismagius, Moltres, Monferno, Ninetales, Numel, Pansear, Phantump, Pignite, Ponyta, Pumpkaboo, Pyroar, Quilava, Ralts, Rapidash, Reshiram, Rotom, Sableye, Shedinja, Shuppet, Simisear, Slugma, Smeargle, Solrock, Spiritomb, Talonflame, Tepig, Torchic, Torkoal, Trevenant, Typhlosion, Victini, Volcarona, Vulpix, Weezing, Yamask

compared to
Drowzee, Garbodor, Grimer, Gulpin, Hypno, Koffing, Muk, Skuntank, Smeargle, Stunky, Swalot, Trubbish, Weezing
Amoonguss, Bayleef, Bellossom, Bellsprout, Breloom, Bulbasaur, Butterfree, Chikorita, Cottonee, Dustox, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Foongus, Gloom, Hoppip, Ivysaur, Jumpluff, Meganium, Mothim, Oddish, Paras, Parasect, Scatterbug, Shroomish, Skiploom, Smeargle, Spewpa, Tangela, Tangrowth, Venomoth, Venonat, Venusaur, Victreebel, Vileplume, Vivillon, Weepinbell, Whimsicott

As you can see, far more viable mons get will-o-wisp than poisoning moves, and it simply won't be as common. It's no better than Will-o-Wisp honestly, and won't hugely affect the meta. In standard people don't avoid physical mons because of their vulnerability to burns.

Scald is no longer going to be viewed as broken at least, because poison jab now functions the same way on the special side.

Unfortunately imo, this won't be a huge impact on gameplay. It doesn't make a very large difference when teambuilding, besides tossing some poisoning moves where you wouldn't normally. It doesn't make that much more or less viable than OU.

Anyways, if anyone wants a battle challenge me on showdown :P Eevee edit: There's no way to play this as you cannot add a custom change without hosting a new mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've discussed poison being the special equivalent of burn in the OU chatroom many many months ago, and I gave my reservations about toxic so that it would not be inflicting half special on account of toxic being its own residual damage move. Therefore I'd like it to maintain that we vote Toxic is only a residual damaging move, no special penalty for being TOX rather than PSN. If not, then the metagame itself becomes filled with everything using toxic (not necessarily a bad thing).

I feel like banning toxic spikes also removes the entire purpose of this metagame, because if poison ever finally became a special-halver, toxic spikes would be part a significant part of the meta in OU, UU, etc.

So if you agree with the above, would it be fair to say poison (12% residual) is halved special, and toxic does not affect the damage, and unban toxic spikes?

Or perhaps toxic halves as well, toxic spikes are banned?

Or even any poison (TOX or PSN) reduce special, and toxic spikes unbanned?

I'm partial to TOX not being able to halve special, toxic spikes unbanned.

THIS IS JUST A DIVIDER FOR ANOTHER TALKING POINT REGARDING THE META ITSELF

Weezing and tentacruel would become amazing staples to any mixed bulk team, but at the end of the day, speedy psychic mons threaten this meta without threat of toxic spikes, they only risk switching in on the poison gas/sludge bomb. I would even argue that most of the meta could leave poison alone and have alakazam or starmie or gardevoir as a check in the background to remove the defensive tank weezing, so without toxic spikes removing these special pokemon as safe checks to weezing/tentacruel, a HO style with momentum moves (U-turn, memento) will potentially remove poison's threatening force (namely the 5 poison types that have mixed bulk and staying power, whereas only 1 has recover via pain split).

I'd like to petition the toxic spikes ban because, although I agree it's a centralizing part of the metagame, it would be a centralizing part of the meta if this applied to pokemon mechanics anyway, so we might as well allow it to exist. I'd like to hear any reservations about tspikes being part of the meta, because I think it's healthy. You're not forced to run special pokemon, and hazard control would be slightly centralizing to the meta, but when hasn't hazard control been such a crucial part of the meta in pokemon? With great hazard removers like Natural Cure Starmie, Excadrill with Mold Breaker, Defog Latis, Weezing becomes less of a threat, especially if you bait Wisp onto lati. Defog Skarmory/Mandibuzz are also viable hazard control, and clerics will become more prominent in the metagame anyway, so without toxic spikes, your only reliable form of poison setting can be moot at times.

ALSO, any grounded poison types remove tspikes upon switch-in, making tspikes a lot less powerful, and makes Tentacruel a very fun and viable hazard remover AND setter.

This poison meta is something I've been wanting to see in the actual pokemon game, and gamefreak has given us a lot of viable pokemon that can play around this mechanics change, so I feel like we need to make a decision at this point.

We need to decide if:
1. Unban toxic spikes as there are many viable ways to deal with toxic spikes without it being as centralizing as expected. If not, then we continue the meta with its pokemon as played.

2. Decide if Toxic should reduce special since all pokemon have access to it, or if it should only do its toxic damaging thing and not reduce special since (you guessed it) all pokemon have access to it.

Illusio

Bold and Brash
First off, I just wanted to say that the OP clearly states that
Not unlike burns, if a Pokemon becomes poisoned (not badly poisoned), its special moves will deal half damage.​
so Toxic already acts as usual.

In regards to your point, I agree that Toxic Spikes might be easy to beat in the meta, but you need to think about what they would do to the meta. Special attackers (including non-Psychic types) would be greatly nerfed to the point where it would be nearly unviable to run any non-Poison Special attacker. If you did run one, the entire game would be nothing but spamming defog/Rapid Spin every couple of turns to keep your special attacker viable, which wouldn't be worth all the trouble. While it easy to beat, at the same time, it's a really centralizing move, and I don't see it being anything but trouble in the meta. After all, Game Freak hasn't added Burning Spikes yet, have they?

MegaYard, Heatran, Gengar and the Latis are all powerful Special attackers who don't care about T-Spikes, just off of the top of my head. You won't know if it's overcentralizing until you actually try it.
Don't forget the other special steel types: Magnezone and Empoleon. In a Metagame where we have shiny new toy syndrome like this one, I can see steel types being popular because of their immunity to poison. If we do try out T-Spikes, we might actually see a rise in Pokemon like Empoleon (immune to all things poison, resists Stealth Rock, a decent special attacker, and a defogger). This might see a rise in physical fighting types (can anyone see how much AV Conkeldurr or regular Heracross would love all these new steel and poison types running around since they would love having status). Also, don't forget that grounded poison types would remove Toxic Spikes if we do unban it.

And again with Shiny New Toy Syndrome, I see special walls being less useful here since everyone will be taking advantage of the new changes to poison. Not only that but with all the poison types running about, we finally will nerf Fairy types. Combine that with there only being one physical fairy type, we might see a rise in Dragon types again. Dragalge would love this Metagame because it gets Adaptability Sludge Bomb and Draco Meteor (and if we unban it Toxic Spikes). It will just decimate non-steel physical walls. Just got to run something for them.

Most of this talk is just going to be for the early metagame. I feel this Metagame will be bouncing around a lot with Shiny New Toy Syndrome and then Counterplaying whatever's popular at the time until it stabalizes.

As nice of an idea as it is to look to the future and prevent problems, I feel like tspikes can't really fully be determined as centralizing. At the end of the day, this metagame is your standard OU with a new pokemon mechanic that makes tspikes slightly more viable and allows poison jab/sludge bomb to become the new scald for special attackers.

Poison's viability in crippling special users bumps pokemon up in rankings to counteract these poison setters (namely Heatran, Empoleon, Magnezone, Gengar, Latis rise in usage), and having a "check" to toxic spikes and toxic spike setters raise their viabilities, without making it so every turn is defog/rapid spin. You clear hazards AND prevent them from presence alone. And if you eliminate a toxic spike setter, assuming they only run 1, because at the end of the day this is still just an OU meta with toxic spikes being slightly more viable, you clear toxic spikes and they become less of a threat. And a back-up cleric if you couldn't avoid a poison.

I can't stress enough that this meta is OU in its purest form, with the benefits of poison adding a twist to spreading status. Toxic spikes aren't as centralizing when you consider 1-2 MAX tspike setters per team, if that, because you're still trying to win with an OU team

Oh! Another thing that just became super viable in this Metagame: Poison Touch. If you do not recall this ability, it gives every one of your contact moves a 30% chance of poisoning the enemy. Pokemon that have that ability include Dragalage (better off being an Adaptability Power House since Poison Touch uses its weaker offenses), Toxicroak (can synergize well with Drain Punch since it smashes steel types that resist poison, also has Poison Jab), Seismitoad (not really good since it mostly uses non-touching moves), and Muk. Muk would make an EXCELLENT special wall if we still have them in this metagame, because Poison Jab, combined with Poison Touch, has a 51% chance of poisoning the target. This turns lowering special attack into a simple coin flip. It might even be viable to try a Cromuk strategy if you can eliminate steel types. Something like:

Muk @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Muk still has its usual problems. It has no reliable recovery. 100/75/105 bulk is decent but could be better. It's also still weak to Psychic and Ground attacks that may become prevalent if poison types become popular. This set also can't touch steel types. But it might be interesting to test out.

Pokemon with Toxic Spikes

Ariados: Oh no, overcentralizing. Not.

Beedrill: I would be astounded if Mega Beedrill ever felt the time and moveslot were worth it. Pleasantly surprised, too, in all honesty.

Cloyster: Too busy Shell Smashing.

Cofagrigus: Oh cool, a vaguely viable choice. Lacks reliable recovery and all, but cool.

Dragalge: Could be worth it, and would be a lot better if Toxic Spikes was legal in general.

Drapion: There's worse out there,

Forretress: Generally a suicide lead. Toxic Spikes is the easiest hazard to clear and play around anyway. At worse it would make it a bit more likely to go Stealth Rock-->Toxic Spikes--->Spikes stacking instead of Stealth Rock--->Spikes stacking.

Garbodor: Nobody runs it. Nobody's is going to run it just because Toxic Spikes is a thing.

Greninja: Banned.

Nidoking: Too busy Sheer Forcing everything. Might fit in Toxic Spikes. Maybe.

Nidoqueen: Bad Nidoking, alas.

Omastar: Too busy Shell Smashing when people run it at all.

Qwilfish: Would be legitimately cool if Toxic Spikes--->Explosion was viable with it. It's not viable as-is.

Roserade: Not that scared.

Scolipede: Mildly concerning. Toxic Spikes let's it effectively pass a +2 Special Defense with its Speed if the enemy can't handle Toxic Spikes. Sorta.

Tentacruel: More viable Tentacruel sounds good to me.

Venomoth: I'm quaking in my boots at the idea of Venomoth dropping Toxic Spikes. /sarcasm

Weezing: Same basic thing I said about Qwilfish, only it's more viable.

---

Toxic Spikes has a painful distribution and the idea of it becoming overcentralizing is absurd. Nor is Stealth Rock banned in OU, and it's considerably more influential on the viability of Pokemon, with fewer ways to do anything about it. Toxic Spikes is useless if you're not grounded or if you're a Steel type, and is outright cleared by Poison types switching in. No other hazard is as easy to deal with/play around as Toxic Spikes, before you look at its problematic distribution that makes it difficult to set it. In particular, Toxic Spikes has no reasonably bulky, recovery-capable option to keep getting it set again and again as it gets cleared over the course of a match, unlike Stealth Rock and Spikes. The closest thing to a concerning aspect is the trend that the non-awful options are Physically bulky and therefore Toxic Spikes can be used to offset their relative Special vulnerability, and honestly Cofagrigus is the only one that might be able to leverage that.

long post
Smeargle also tends to run Toxic Spikes if you're using the suicide lead (with is Spore/SR/Sticky Web/Toxic Spikes I believe). I mean, not that it's used a lot in OU or anything, and it is complete Taunt bait, worthless against anything with Magic Bounce, can't do anything else other than set hazards, will normally die to any hit if it loses its sash, and its death is almost always in vain since Defog and Rapid Spin are so common.

If Poison Gas and Sludge Bomb become common enough, could it actually be viable to run leftovers on Gliscor and just try to get it poisoned by switching it into those attacks? Poison Heal + Leftovers mean you recover 3/16 of your HP in one turn, which is almost as much as a substitute demands.

Ghoul King said:
Nidoqueen: Bad Nidoking, alas.
You don't play UU much, do you. Nidoking and Nidoqueen have completely different rolls. Nidoking is attacker (not a very good one) and Nidoqueen is an offensive lead, making Nidoqueen an extremely good option. Plus, Nidoqueen is better.
Toxic Spikes doesn't need to be banned. A ton of special attackers float or are flying types. Toxic Spikes also have a small distribution on viable pokemon with Nidoqueen being the best.

I agree with the stance that Toxic Spikes should not be banned. Since the very premise of this meta is that poison is buffed, I think it goes without saying that we'll see a substantial increase in Pokémon of either Steel or Poison types, the former being immune to Toxic Spikes and the latter removing them altogether by simply switching in, thus handling them with ease. On top of that, there will likely be a growth in Guts mons which can take advantage of a more present Toxic Spikes. If T-Spikes proves to actually be broken when this meta is playable, then we can ban it. For now though, I say keep it legal.

Honestly T-Spikes it so easy to remove almost every team already has a poison or steel type so I think that it will be easy to remove also people will probably just run physical so this meta game which will make will-o-wisp better because who would run special due to the new poison mechanics. Just some food for thought

I've suggested it before in the OM room, I don't know if others have as well. It's good because finally regular poison isn't 100% outclassed.

Toxic spikes being banned is definitely good, there are no flaming spikes for a reason.

Absol, Arcanine, Arceus, Banette, Blaziken, Braixen, Camerupt, Chandelure, Charizard, Charmander, Charmeleon, Chimchar, Cofagrigus, Combusken, Cyndaquil, Darkrai, Darmanitan, Darumaka, Delphox, Drifblim, Drifloon, Dusclops, Dusknoir, Duskull, Emboar, Entei, Fennekin, Flareon, Fletchinder, Frillish, Gallade, Gardevoir, Gastly, Gengar, Giratina, Gourgeist, Growlithe, Haunter, Heatmor, Heatran, Ho-Oh, Houndoom, Houndour, Infernape, Jellicent, Kirlia, Koffing, Lampent, Larvesta, Litleo, Litwick, Magby, Magcargo, Magmar, Magmortar, Mew, Mewtwo, Misdreavus, Mismagius, Moltres, Monferno, Ninetales, Numel, Pansear, Phantump, Pignite, Ponyta, Pumpkaboo, Pyroar, Quilava, Ralts, Rapidash, Reshiram, Rotom, Sableye, Shedinja, Shuppet, Simisear, Slugma, Smeargle, Solrock, Spiritomb, Talonflame, Tepig, Torchic, Torkoal, Trevenant, Typhlosion, Victini, Volcarona, Vulpix, Weezing, Yamask

compared to
Drowzee, Garbodor, Grimer, Gulpin, Hypno, Koffing, Muk, Skuntank, Smeargle, Stunky, Swalot, Trubbish, Weezing
Amoonguss, Bayleef, Bellossom, Bellsprout, Breloom, Bulbasaur, Butterfree, Chikorita, Cottonee, Dustox, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Foongus, Gloom, Hoppip, Ivysaur, Jumpluff, Meganium, Mothim, Oddish, Paras, Parasect, Scatterbug, Shroomish, Skiploom, Smeargle, Spewpa, Tangela, Tangrowth, Venomoth, Venonat, Venusaur, Victreebel, Vileplume, Vivillon, Weepinbell, Whimsicott

As you can see, far more viable mons get will-o-wisp than poisoning moves, and it simply won't be as common. It's no better than Will-o-Wisp honestly, and won't hugely affect the meta. In standard people don't avoid physical mons because of their vulnerability to burns.

Scald is no longer going to be viewed as broken at least, because poison jab now functions the same way on the special side.

Unfortunately imo, this won't be a huge impact on gameplay. It doesn't make a very large difference when teambuilding, besides tossing some poisoning moves where you wouldn't normally. It doesn't make that much more or less viable than OU.

Anyways, if anyone wants a battle challenge me on showdown :P Eevee edit: There's no way to play this as you cannot add a custom change without hosting a new mod.
The reason for poison gas's exclusiveness in regular play is because it was outclassed by toxic

Last edited:

Illusio

Bold and Brash
After consideration, I decided that it would be best for the meta to unban Toxic Spikes, although I may reban once it gets coded and is deemed too overcentralizing.

tl;dr: Toxic Spikes unbanned!

So some of the best balance/HO toxic spike setters have to be Scolipede, Tentacruel, custap lead Forretress(?), the Nidos (queen namely), Drapion and to some extent Dragalge, as these all have access to bulk and/or poison setting moves like Sludge Bomb, Poison Jab, and generally good offensive presence (depending on your matchups).

Although weezing becomes a really good mixed tank with poison halving special, I don't think it's gonna dominate as much simply because mons like latis with psychic, Gengar with LO/Taunt, Heatran all scare it out or threaten it with 2hkos and are generally unaffected. Latis being more prominent because they scare out weezing then get that free defog. Excadrill with Mold Breaker is good but it only 2hkos and risks wisp.

Clerics are a huge part of the meta now if you want to get past unlucky sludge bombs/poison jabs. However, almost all Heal Bell users are grounded and/or weak to poison/crippled by poison halving special, but there could be a rise in mons like Roserade (remove Tspikes AND aromatherapy up), or maybe even as lowly as Vileplume (though I think Roserade outclasses significantly)

Tentacruel will jump in viability for balance, so will Nidos and Drapion for HO, even Dragalge for bulky offense. And of course, so will the steel type users like Empoleon (removes hazards), Heatran, even Magnes.

I can't stress enough that this metagame is essentially your standard OU meta with a need to check tspikes and/or cleric your poisons.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Code:
    {
        name: "Poison",
        desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3549021/\">Poison</a>"],
        section: "Other Metagames",

mod: 'poison',
        ruleset: ["OU"]
    }
Code:
exports.BattleScripts = {
    getDamage: function (pokemon, target, move, suppressMessages) {
        if (typeof move === 'string') move = this.getMove(move);

if (typeof move === 'number') move = {
            basePower: move,
            type: '???',
            category: 'Physical',
            flags: {}
        };

if (!move.ignoreImmunity || (move.ignoreImmunity !== true && !move.ignoreImmunity[move.type])) {
            if (!target.runImmunity(move.type, !suppressMessages)) {
                return false;
            }
        }

if (move.ohko) {
            return target.maxhp;
        }

if (move.damageCallback) {
            return move.damageCallback.call(this, pokemon, target);
        }
        if (move.damage === 'level') {
            return pokemon.level;
        }
        if (move.damage) {
            return move.damage;
        }

if (!move) {
            move = {};
        }
        if (!move.type) move.type = '???';
        var type = move.type;
        // '???' is typeless damage: used for Struggle and Confusion etc
        var category = this.getCategory(move);
        var defensiveCategory = move.defensiveCategory || category;

var basePower = move.basePower;
        if (move.basePowerCallback) {
            basePower = move.basePowerCallback.call(this, pokemon, target, move);
        }
        if (!basePower) {
            if (basePower === 0) return; // returning undefined means not dealing damage
            return basePower;
        }
        basePower = this.clampIntRange(basePower, 1);

var critMult;
        if (this.gen <= 5) {
            move.critRatio = this.clampIntRange(move.critRatio, 0, 5);
            critMult = [0, 16, 8, 4, 3, 2];
        } else {
            move.critRatio = this.clampIntRange(move.critRatio, 0, 4);
            critMult = [0, 16, 8, 2, 1];
        }

move.crit = move.willCrit || false;
        if (move.willCrit === undefined) {
            if (move.critRatio) {
                move.crit = (this.random(critMult[move.critRatio]) === 0);
            }
        }

if (move.crit) {
            move.crit = this.runEvent('CriticalHit', target, null, move);
        }

// happens after crit calculation
        basePower = this.runEvent('BasePower', pokemon, target, move, basePower, true);

if (!basePower) return 0;
        basePower = this.clampIntRange(basePower, 1);

var level = pokemon.level;

var attacker = pokemon;
        var defender = target;
        var attackStat = category === 'Physical' ? 'atk' : 'spa';
        var defenseStat = defensiveCategory === 'Physical' ? 'def' : 'spd';
        var statTable = {atk:'Atk', def:'Def', spa:'SpA', spd:'SpD', spe:'Spe'};
        var attack;
        var defense;

var atkBoosts = move.useTargetOffensive ? defender.boosts[attackStat] : attacker.boosts[attackStat];
        var defBoosts = move.useSourceDefensive ? attacker.boosts[defenseStat] : defender.boosts[defenseStat];

var ignoreNegativeOffensive = !!move.ignoreNegativeOffensive;
        var ignorePositiveDefensive = !!move.ignorePositiveDefensive;

if (move.crit) {
            ignoreNegativeOffensive = true;
            ignorePositiveDefensive = true;
        }
        var ignoreOffensive = !!(move.ignoreOffensive || (ignoreNegativeOffensive && atkBoosts < 0));
        var ignoreDefensive = !!(move.ignoreDefensive || (ignorePositiveDefensive && defBoosts > 0));

if (ignoreOffensive) {
            this.debug('Negating (sp)atk boost/penalty.');
            atkBoosts = 0;
        }
        if (ignoreDefensive) {
            this.debug('Negating (sp)def boost/penalty.');
            defBoosts = 0;
        }

if (move.useTargetOffensive) {
            attack = defender.calculateStat(attackStat, atkBoosts);
        } else {
            attack = attacker.calculateStat(attackStat, atkBoosts);
        }

if (move.useSourceDefensive) {
            defense = attacker.calculateStat(defenseStat, defBoosts);
        } else {
            defense = defender.calculateStat(defenseStat, defBoosts);
        }

// Apply Stat Modifiers
        attack = this.runEvent('Modify' + statTable[attackStat], attacker, defender, move, attack);
        defense = this.runEvent('Modify' + statTable[defenseStat], defender, attacker, move, defense);

//int(int(int(2 * L / 5 + 2) * A * P / D) / 50);
        var baseDamage = Math.floor(Math.floor(Math.floor(2 * level / 5 + 2) * basePower * attack / defense) / 50) + 2;

// multi-target modifier (doubles only)
        if (move.spreadHit) {
            var spreadModifier = move.spreadModifier || 0.75;
            this.debug('Spread modifier: ' + spreadModifier);
            baseDamage = this.modify(baseDamage, spreadModifier);
        }

// weather modifier (TODO: relocate here)
        // crit
        if (move.crit) {
            baseDamage = this.modify(baseDamage, move.critModifier || (this.gen >= 6 ? 1.5 : 2));
        }

// randomizer
        // this is not a modifier
        baseDamage = Math.floor(baseDamage * (100 - this.random(16)) / 100);

// STAB
        if (move.hasSTAB || type !== '???' && pokemon.hasType(type)) {
            // The "???" type never gets STAB
            // Not even if you Roost in Gen 4 and somehow manage to use
            // Struggle in the same turn.
            // (On second thought, it might be easier to get a Missingno.)
            baseDamage = this.modify(baseDamage, move.stab || 1.5);
        }
        // types
        move.typeMod = target.runEffectiveness(move);

move.typeMod = this.clampIntRange(move.typeMod, -6, 6);
        if (move.typeMod > 0) {
            if (!suppressMessages) this.add('-supereffective', target);

for (var i = 0; i < move.typeMod; i++) {
                baseDamage *= 2;
            }
        }
        if (move.typeMod < 0) {
            if (!suppressMessages) this.add('-resisted', target);

for (var i = 0; i > move.typeMod; i--) {
                baseDamage = Math.floor(baseDamage / 2);
            }
        }

if (move.crit && !suppressMessages) this.add('-crit', target);

if (pokemon.status === 'brn' && basePower && move.category === 'Physical' && !pokemon.hasAbility('guts')) {
            if (this.gen < 6 || move.id !== 'facade') {
                baseDamage = this.modify(baseDamage, 0.5);
            }
        }

if (pokemon.status === 'psn' && basePower && move.category === 'Special') {
            if (this.gen < 6 || move.id !== 'facade') {
                baseDamage = this.modify(baseDamage, 0.5);
            }
        }

// Generation 5 sets damage to 1 before the final damage modifiers only
        if (this.gen === 5 && basePower && !Math.floor(baseDamage)) {
            baseDamage = 1;
        }

// Final modifier. Modifiers that modify damage after min damage check, such as Life Orb.
        baseDamage = this.runEvent('ModifyDamage', pokemon, target, move, baseDamage);

if (this.gen !== 5 && basePower && !Math.floor(baseDamage)) {
            return 1;
        }

return Math.floor(baseDamage);
    }
};
Yes I know the scripts.js file is large but the modified function literally won't work unless I have all of the code in it.

Illusio Snaquaza

Thank you for the code! I wouldn't be surprised if we see some change with poison mechanics with gamefreak within the next 2 generations, so hopefully this metagame will be a good transition for all players.

I'm really liking the idea of balance teams with mons like Tentacruel or Roserade, with a guts booster in the mix here or there. Unfortunately I just think steels are gonna dominate, but that's just a plus for mons like Conkeldurr and Breloom with Poison Heal to get it in and mitigate any steel spam

Hugs!
Nidoqueen (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 48 HP / 160 Def / 200 SpA / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
This gal wrecks lives. Nidoqueen has a lot going for it, but a few main problems. The good side is that it's one of the best TSpike setter and its ground typing works well. It give it the ability to destroy common counters and hit them hard with Sheer Force. This also hits all bug ghost type with SE, making a prediction or out speed pay off big. Stealth Rock access is also extremely good. There are three main problems: Skarmory, Latias, and speed. Skarmory is immune to both attacks and can defog free. Latias has STAB Psychic and can't be killed by ice beam. It has fairly low speed, making it fairly easy to revenge or even just straight-up kill with an out speed. Other than than, this mon seems pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)