Pokémon GO

I may do a Kyurem raid in a few more hours so I'll invite whomever here may be interested. I got the one known here as "Usernamesarestupid" in a group raid yesterday so glad that worked out.

By the way I did a lucky trade involving a gible originally hatched from a Los Angeles member here I think is Ulquiorra and she got a hundo and I got +3 gible candies. Here's how it looks now: https://media.discordapp.net/attach...5445689598023/image0.png?width=265&height=573

On the showdown for pokemongo I could only logon and display with my email address so I couldn't seem to display my name as my username here and didn't want to chat that way so am perplexed about that.

Edit: a legendary egg that is next to where I live will hatch at 12:25 PM my time (New York)
Glad I was able to help out your friend!

Just started GoFest on the West coast right now. If anyone is looking for new friends, my code is 7833 1646 6196.

Unova Week has also been unlocked.

Also, some future game updates given in an interview confirms that Pokemon you currently own will be able to mega evolve, as well as a level cap increase in the works with more details later this year.

One thing I can confirm is that your existing Pokemon today will be the ones that will be Mega Evolved. So the Charizard you got at the very beginning of the game – your first Charmander or the one that you evolved – those are all viable candidates. They can all be Mega Evolved.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well folks, from a free-to-play perspective, I couldn't complain much about this weekend's gofest activities. It was thrilling to see rare pokemon in the wild more frequently such as gible, litwick, and certain alolan forms. I also liked the return of legacy legendary pokemon back in raids especially with the 4th gen dragon pokemon that I lacked in my inventory for lucky trade purposes that I previously transferred or traded away for transfer candies. While there were certain difficulties with raiding especially remotely, here are some further notes regarding remote raiding:

- in the beginning I couldn't invite anybody and I appreciate the ability to not waste any passes before the raid start
- if you don't feel with the quantity in the lobby is sufficient to defeat the raid boss, by all means exit and try again while amount of time on clock is sufficient enough
- up to this past weekend, the only available legendary we had was kyurem, an easy pokemon to take down, until further notice, and the idea of needing a larger group to take down the likes of blizzard kyogre or sunny day fire blast groudon was often taken forgranted
- important: do not start a raid lobby and invite others when there's less than 7 minutes on the raid clock. I was invited to a local raid and when my pokemon fainted, I could not re-enter the lobby since the raid clock already expired even though the raid was still going on, so I lost a remote raid pass and a chance to get rewards and catch the pokemon.

With that in mind, I hope all of you were able to get the legendaries that will probably not return again for a long long time, and now that rayquaza, deoxys (all forms) & genesect will be in raids in the coming weeks, only if you don't already have a kyurem yet I recommend saving remote raid passes for these upcoming legendaries especially if you don't have them already yet. Rayquaza, along with zekrom, is regarded as the best dragon type pokemon to use in raids against other general dragon legendaries and for gym battling if not up against fairies and normal types.

For rayquaza, have your best ice pokemon ready. They would include mamoswine, glaceon, weavile, mewtwo with ice beam, jynx, articuno as your best choices, be prepared to have up to 2 teams ready as rayquaza can hit hard. I've been able to duo this many times but at the sacrifice of many revives and potions.

For deoxys, have your best ghost and dark pokemon ready including mewtwo with shadow ball if deoxys packs a fighting move. attack form is very easy and I've even solo'd it. normal form can be duo'd, speed form needs more, and the deoxys form is incredibly hard as I've seen a group of 4 level 40 players fail to take it down, so try to have a group of 6 ideally for it. deoxys defense in non-boosted weather is the most useful for PvP great league as it's a top rank pokemon there. attack form has the highest attack in the game but also has one of the lowest defense in the game and a poor moveset to take into consideration.

For genesect, have your best fire pokemon ready. I heard genesect has multiple forms so I'm not sure what to expect here.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah raiding with Pokemon Go players on showdown has been so much fun. I managed to get me 2+ copies of Dialga/Palkia/Groudon/Kyogre/Giratina-a-o and one of those Groudon was 96% and a Kyogre was shiny.

There have been circumstances where I found myself in a lobby where a few players leave before the timer runs down. In a case where 5 players entered the battle and two just back out that last second, 3 are left fighting a boss with little to no chance of winning and thus consume their passes.

Sometimes one drops, then another has some technical issue or for whatever reason there are not enough to take it down This has been a problem that I call on the spot invites which cost us all remote passes because either they don't know each other or if theyll back out at the last second so then some others start to do it too, or perhaos some don't have enough faith in a lower-levelled player.

We end up wasting passes trying to get back in with everyone together. To avoid this you musthighlight all 5 showdown suernames that you're sending invites and that they are ready like we have said. Once you've sent them it's easy to then re-confirm invites have been sent and you all should have enough time within that two minute time frame to then announce you are staying or backing out. I guess there are entrants who are random from a host/local player so we might have to wing that a little bit. Once we get 4 or 5 "yes's" on showdown it should be then down to catching it so long as nothing technical further delays or disturbs any of the players taking it down.

So yeah hosting Rayquaza is probably the next boss to prepare for and I guess just make sure to be online https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/pokemongo if you want to invite/host any raid or take a place in one!

I also hope the showdown room is reopened to the public so we can have more than one raid going onat a time where hosts could perhaps take 5 invites like it has been suggested by some. Once we get going we actually do well together and I must say everyone inviting their friends has been a fun experience over all despite some frustrations with things that happen which disrupt our attempts.

Last edited:
So this will be the third Community Day where the featured Pokemon evolves just once (Pikachu and Eevee). I'm seeing people suggest that this is in preparation for mega evolution (after Weedle/Beedrill and Gastly/Gengar in the past two months), but is that based on any leaks, or just speculation?

Last edited:
What....
... Well, I do have a perfect Karp here, but I'm wondering now, how will they do the insane 400 candy evolving requirement?

... What is the bonus next CD, btw?
... Triple stardust. Sighs, I want to take some break but I can't....

What....
... Well, I do have a perfect Karp here, but I'm wondering now, how will they do the insane 400 candy evolving requirement?

... What is the bonus next CD, btw?
... Triple stardust. Sighs, I want to take some break but I can't....
That's what I thought at first, but then I realized candy bonus was never a thing in Community Days. Back when CDs were still 3 hours, I think the most candy I managed was around 1,000? So theoretically if I caught Pokemon at the same pace, I'd be able to evolve 5 Magikarp just from candy I get that day.

But apparently, according to this graphic, we'll get field research tasks that'll reward us with Magikarp candy.

59c8edjmxmd51.jpg

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*sigh*

Yet another Community Day featuring a Kanto crudmon that has been among the most common spawns since the launch of the game.

Gotta keep the actually interesting content gated behind paywalls, I guess...

Expert Evan

Gyarados has come a long way since the pre-raid days when it was a feat just to evolve it and place in gyms, It originally lacked a water fast move until it got waterfall, and now follows a similar path where Kyogre got surf and now Gyarados can get Aqua Tail similar to Vaporeon already learning it when it was among the best water types in the game, not sure this will overtake Kyogre with Surf or Kingler with Crabhammer but should make it competitive to at least use it as a gym attacker since it also gets some other general charge moves as well.

That's what I thought at first, but then I realized candy bonus was never a thing in Community Days. Back when CDs were still 3 hours, I think the most candy I managed was around 1,000? So theoretically if I caught Pokemon at the same pace, I'd be able to evolve 5 Magikarp just from candy I get that day.

But apparently, according to this graphic, we'll get field research tasks that'll reward us with Magikarp candy.

View attachment 265086
Actually, they have at least once done double candy. Idk when else, but I remember Beldum ComDay had double candy. That's how I got many Metagross.

That, or it was overlapping with Halloween. I think it was overlap and I forgot what the actual CD bonus was....

That said, Aqua Tail is quite powerful in PvP meta especially for Gyarados... If anyone plays it. I do, but I don't need more than one Gyarados for it (it sucks in lower leagues, only Masters Premier cup be where it works).
... And ATail only works for shield baiting anyway since there's barely any Water weak Pokémon on that cup. Gyarados wants Crunch to hit Metagross and Outrage for Dragonite / Garchomp and just avoid Togekiss at all costs. Best deal I think is trading win rate against Metagross to not embarrassingly lose to Togekiss or Snorlax, and that is redundant if it Mega evolves with Crunch getting STAB too.

Last edited:
Actually, they have at least once done double candy. Idk when else, but I remember Beldum ComDay had double candy. That's how I got many Metagross.

That, or it was overlapping with Halloween. I think it was overlap and I forgot what the actual CD bonus was....
I only looked down the list here because I don't remember myself, but I did a quick search in this thread and found this, confirming the bonus was 1/4 egg hatching distance.

In any case, I'm still looking for my first shiny Magikarp, so I might do some catching but definitely nothing crazy.

The stardust is gonna be a big help to me (wiped out my stock on third move and leveling for my CD Gengar) but I already have a good near 3k Bite/Outrage/Hydro Pump Gyarados. I have a three star karp on the back burner, but for some reason my three stars always evolve to bummer low/midrange CP levels.

Plus there's the fact that Niantic is expecting us to sink twice as much candy as in previous Community Days for this little payoff, even before we add on third moves. Freshly caught three stages cap out from 150 to 200 candy to reach full evo and third move, depending on the mon.

It's like Niantic hyperfocused on the spectacle and forgot players care more about the practical.

Last edited:
So this will be the third Community Day where the featured Pokemon evolves just once (Pikachu and Eevee). I'm seeing people suggest that this is in preparation for mega evolution (after Weedle/Beedrill and Gastly/Gengar in the past two months), but is that based on any leaks, or just speculation?
They're doing a Pidgey event soon, too (though that's also for the Flying Cup that's just been added to the GBL). Considering that it could have been literally any other Pokemon, it does seem like they're priming us. I imagine when the Crown Tundra is released there'll be some sort of event for Slowpoke (probably releasing its shiny form) and we'll get the Galarian forms of that line in-game.

Guess we'll probably be seeing Charmander day fairly soon, then... I just hope they'll have an event where they make Kangaskhan available to those of us not living down under.

August events details have been announced.

Quick run-down:
  • Scraggy will be the Research Breakthrough encounter
  • Spotlight Hour every Tuesday at 6pm local time
    • August 4th: Horsea; double catch Candy
    • August 11th: Sableye; double transfer Candy
    • August 18th: Venipede; double evolution XP
    • August 25th: Geodude; double catch Stardust
  • Dragon Week from July 31st, 1pm to August 7th, 1pm PDT
    • Rayquaza in 5-star raids
    • Timed Research
    • Shiny Deino debuts
  • Enigma Week from August 7th, 1pm to August 14th, 1pm PDT
    • Deoxys in 5-star raids
    • Shiny Deoxys debuts
    • Shiny Staryu debuts
  • Unova Week from August 14th, 1pm to August 21st, 1pm PDT
    • Sewaddle, Cottonee, Emolga, and Bouffalant debut
    • Bouffalant in New York City and surrounding area
    • Genesect in 5-star raids
    • Shiny Genesect debuts
    • Shiny Roggenrola debuts

August Research Breakthrough, Pokémon Spotlight Hours, and more

Trainers,

Here’s what you can look forward to during the month of August.

August Research Breakthrough encounter

From Saturday, August 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, September 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), Scraggy, the Shedding Pokémon, will be available as a Research Breakthrough encounter.

Pokémon Spotlight Hours

In the month of August, Pokémon Spotlight Hour will take place every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. local time, and each hour will spotlight a different Pokémon and special bonus!
  • Tuesday, August 4, 2020: Horsea will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for catching Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, August 11, 2020: Sableye will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for transferring Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, August 18, 2020: Venipede will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for evolving Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, August 25, 2020: Geodude will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Stardust for catching Pokémon.
The Ultra Unlock is coming!

Thank you, Pokémon GO Fest 2020 attendees, for completing this year’s challenges! Not only did you end Team GO Rocket’s take-over of the event, but you also earned this year’s Ultra Unlock bonus.

Here’s what you can expect for each Ultra Unlock week.
  • Dragon Week will run from Friday, July 31, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, August 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7). The majestic Dragon-type Pokémon come in all shapes and sizes, from the tiny Gible to the towering Alolan Exeggutor, and this week will be their time to shine! Rayquaza will be in five-star raids, and there will also be special Timed Research available only this week. If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Deino!
  • Enigma Week will run from Friday, August 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT to Friday, August 14, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7). The featured Pokémon range from the mysterious Elgyem to the powerful Deoxys! Deoxys will be in five-star raids, and if you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one! You might also encounter a Shiny Staryu.
  • Unova Week will run from Friday, August 14, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, August 21, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7). Sewaddle, Cottonee, Emolga, and Bouffalant—all originally discovered in the Unova region—will be appearing in the world of Pokémon GO for the first time! Bouffalant will be appearing in New York City and the surrounding areas. Genesect will be in five-star raids, and if you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one! You might also encounter a Shiny Roggenrola.
For more details on this year’s Ultra Unlock, check out this blog.

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidance from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Expert Evan

I live within 100 kilometers away from New York City so I hope we'll be lucky enough to have Bouffalant in Fairfield County, Connecticut at least. New York is too dangerous for my liking these days. I have at least 2 parties of ice pokemon ready for the rayquaza raids as I've successfully duo'd it in the past and even though it's neck and neck with zekrom as the best dragon type out there it's still worth getting a good one if you don't already have them.

Consider that the god of AG may come soon, with Megas confirmed to come. As of now Ray only has its use in dragon raids, which is generally limited, unlike Zekrom that is more viable in PvP while also being good Dragon raider. But if M Ray comes....

At least I can finally get Emonga later. Thank Arceus it's not regional or scraps, I always want it to characterise my phone.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
City regional Pokémon ... why? I get that New York is one of the most visited cities on the planet, but for most people it's still bloody far away and expensive to get to, and that's before you consider the ongoing pandemic wherein New York is one of the hardest afflicted cities, and the country is closed for international arrivals now anyway. Very few people who live outside New York City is going to get Bouffalant legitimately for the foreseeable future.

Then again, I guess it's still not as bad as Relicanth.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am loving Dragon-types and stacking candy real high for the future but my stardust count is low and needs boosting. Last night Evan invites me to a Montville, Connecticut raid where I caught shiny Rayquaza! When Deoxys is available, I will have 5 remote passes left to last me until the 18th when I can buy more, so I must save them for now. I should slow down on raids and concentrate on managing my inventory and planning a couple of weeks fairly and evenly throughout so I don't run out of passes too soon.

Tommorow is double catch candy day so I will have to play Incense more but because I have caught so much over the last month since remote raids have become available, that I need the 11th, to come sooner rather than later so I can transfer candyx2 with all the dupilicates I own.

Expert Evan

With Tropical Storm Isaias heading my way it's weather boosted windy here now. Since my main account is now low on coins and remote passes, I may have to do something I've never done before which is to purchase coins in order to get more remote raid passes while constantly being cramped on storage space and going through to see which pokemon I no longer need anymore which is a main reason I don't go after shinies nor anything that's only going to clutter up my space, and once it's already traded and has no further use I may transfer or place in gyms then transfer once it's out of the gym. Here are some keywords I've been using when doing trades or searching for stuff I no longer need. Of course certain ones for PVP that require being lower IVs for great league purposes are keepers.

!traded = not traded
traded = traded
distance100-9000 = distance between 100k - 9000k (I like to save those over 10000k always from gift eggs for any future tasks of such)
4* = 100% IVs (often referred to as hundos)
legendary
mythical = untradable pokemon with the exception of meltan/melmetal

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)