Project Pokémon Matchmaking - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by the OU Moderation Team

Art by ausma
OP by Martin
Host(s): Tysonslayer
Co-Host: Abhi, ironwater

Hello everyone and welcome to Pokémon Matchmaking—the project in which we aim to create magic pairings that help to pull out a Pokémon's full potential!

Every week, I will nominate a Pokémon and set, and you then need to post a partner along with a brief explanation of what makes them a solid teammate for the nominated Pokémon. At the end of each cycle, I will archive the partners that I think are the best and will highlight any posts that I found to be particularly good before moving onto the next cycle.

Rules and Notes
  • Cycles will last 5–7 days depending on how busy I am. Feel free to DM me if I've not posted the next slate in or after that time frame, but keep in mind I have a lot on my plate, so if a cycle lasts 8 days or whatever it's not the end of the world.
  • When you reserve a Pokémon, please state what set you are reserving
  • Reservations expire 24 hours after they're posted. If you do not post in that time frame, someone else may take it. I'd delete expired nominations but I'm not an OU mod so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (if you are a mod and you see an expired reservation feel free to delete it in my stead :muscle:)
  • Please only nominate OU viable Pokémon. This generally means Pokémon on the viability rankings, although I will make exceptions if an unranked Pokémon is well explained.
  • An explanation is mandatory. It doesn't need to be very long—two or three concise sentences should suffice—but make sure it's there.
  • You may nominate a different set for a Pokémon that has already been submitted. However, it's important that the set is distinct from the other submission—I won't accept submissions where the only difference is something simple like 1 move or an EV spread unless the change substantially alters how the core functions.
  • You may nominate a second Pokémon if three days pass and no one else reserves it.
  • I understand that a little theorymonning is inevitable in a project like this, but please try to post based on your experience using and/or facing the Pokémon in question rather than just listing something you have no experience using and/or facing.
  • It's completely fine (encouraged, in fact) to give feedback on other people's submissions, but please be nice!
Posting Tips
I recommend using the following format when posting:
:ss/Excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower / Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is an excellent partner for Hippowdon as it can take advantage of Sand Stream with Sand Rush. It can also threaten Pokémon like Kyurem that can take advantage of Hippowdon's passivity and lacking special bulk. In exchange, Hippowdon acts as a hard response to Cinderace and Zeraora if Sandstorm expires while Excadrill is active. It's worth noting, however, that this core is largely shut down by Rotom-A, Corviknight, Skarmory, Tangrowth, and Slowbro, so I recommend pairing it with attackers that can take advantage of such Pokémon, such as Rotom-A, Keldeo, Hydreigon, and/or Kyurem.

No specific types of detail are mandatory, but things that are worth considering when writing your explanation include:
  • How the Pokémon listed is useful to the nominated partner and vice versa
  • Why the set listed is chosen over other variants, if applicable
  • Strengths and/or weaknesses of the core in question
  • Potential options for additional partners when using the core
  • Replays that show off the core in full force
Try and avoid using superfluous formatting (it's usually very ugly) and try to cut out any fluff in your paragraphs if you can.

If you want to remove colour formatting, please use the eraser icon in the top left of the rich text editor or in the bottom right of the colour picker instead of changing the text colour to black. This is to ensure that it's readable for people using dark mode.

If you want an easy way to include Pokémon sprites, please use the following BBcode and substitute in the appropriate Pokémon:
:clefable:
Code:
:clefable:
:ss/clefable:
Code:
:ss/clefable:
:bw/clefable:
Code:
:bw/clefable:
etc.

Last edited:
Archive
How it will work:
  • There is no winners system in this project as the point of this project is to help builders choose teammates for various Pokemon which in most cases all the time everything gets archive.
  • * next to a Pokemon indicate the user who submitted it in a post where featured for post highlight.
Round 1: Offensive Quiver Dance Volcarona
Best Partners: :dragapult::zeraora::reuniclus::heracross::magearna::rillaboom:
Post Showcase: :heracross: (Ruft) :magearna: (Random Passerby)

Round 2: Teleport Slowbro
Partners: :urshifu::heracross::mandibuzz::tangrowth:

Round 3: Choice Specs Magearna
Best Partners: :slowbro::dragapult::cinderace::alakazam:

Round 4: Choice Band Urshifu
Partners: :rotom-heat::zeraora::hydreigon::magearna::slowbro::clefable:

Round 5: U-turn + 3 Attacks Cinderace
Best Partners: :zeraora::magearna::dragapult::rillaboom::crawdaunt::ferrothorn:
Post Showcase: :zeraora:(RottenInfernape) :ferrothorn:(Martin)

Round 6: Toxapex
Partners: :mandibuzz::clefable::hippowdon::tangrowth:

Round 7: Choice Specs Kyurem
Partners: :crawdaunt::gengar::clefable::alakazam::ferrothorn:
Post Showcase: :clefable: (Random Passerby)

Round 8: Swords Dance Crawdaunt
Partners: :togekiss::pelipper::rillaboom::rotom-heat:

Round 9: Hex Dragapult
Partners: :toxapex::magnezone::crawdaunt::weezing-galar::urshifu::toxtricity::hydreigon::amoonguss:

Round 10: Skarmory
Partners: :hatterene::blissey::magnezone::gastrodon:

Round 11: Specially Defensive Tyranitar
Partners: :excadrill::amoonguss::aegislash::skarmory::ferrothorn:

Round 12: Nasty Plot Togekiss
Partners: :necrozma: :zeraora: :excadrill: :tyranitar:

DLC 2: The Crown Tundra

Round 13: Choice Band Pheromosa (BANNED)

Partners: :slowbro: :tapu koko: :nidoking: :tapu lele:

Round 14: Sword Dance Garchomp

Partners::ferrothorn: :moltres: :keldeo: :cinderace:

Round 15: Scizor
Partners: :kyurem::hydreigon:*:nidoking: :swampert: :tapu koko:* :magnezone: :garchomp: :zeraora:*:dragapult:* :mamoswine:

Round 16: Nasty Plot Tornadus-Therian
Partners: :tapu lele: *:weavile: :volcarona:* :swampert: :kartana:

Round 17: Urshifu-R

Partners: :zapdos:* :tapu koko: :slowking: :zeraora:* :heatran: :pelipper:* :kingdra:

Round 18: Swords Dance Weavile
Partners: :magnezone:* :garchomp:* :latios: :heatran:* :slowking: :tapu koko:* :tapu fini:

Round 19: Choice Band Bisharp
Partners: :slowking: :landorus-therian: :skarmory: :kyurem:* :ferrothorn:

Round 20: Zamazenta-Crowned (BANNED)
Partners: :kyurem: :tapu koko: :clefable: :zeraora: :magnezone: :ninetales-alola: :heatran: :rillaboom: :tapu lele: :slowking:

Round 21: Melmetal
Partners: :dragapult:* :zapdos: :rillaboom: :victini: :zeraora: :clefable: :tangrowth: :landorus-therian: :slowking:

Round 22: Swords Dance Tapu Bulu
Partners:

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Round 1: Offensive Quiver Dance Volcarona
:ss/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Psychic

Quiver Dance Volcarona has proven to be a potent threat in this new metagame thanks to its amazing offensive typing paired with Heavy Duty Boots. Now what is the best at enabling it? Deadline will be some time in the next 5–7 days.

1593189628790.png

Dragapult @ Spell Tag
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
Dragapult does a pretty good job luring in threats that Volcarona can set up such as Clefable and Mandibuzz. In addition Dragapult can weaken checks to Volcarona such as Snorlax, Toxapex and Tyranitar. Lastly, Dragapult is a decent pivot into Volcarona checks such as Keldeo and Rotom-H.

Last edited:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Azumarill pairs well with Volcarona, threatening checks like Chansey and weakened Mandibuzz (or Mandi lacking Foul Play). Volc can set up on Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and other bulky Water resists as well. Together, they can pressure down their shared check in Toxapex.

Speed is for uninvested Mandi, as any Mandi with speed will hit a tier higher than 199. Rest is in Attack and HP.

Last edited:

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:ss/zeraora:
Zeraora @ Magnet / Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Threatens Volcarona's checks like Mandibuzz, Toxapex, Dragapult, Chansey; weakens their shared checks, namely Kommo-o and Rotom-H. Volcarona, on the other hand, can set up on some of Zeraora's checks, notably Tangrowth and Amoonguss (depending on their sets & other circumstances).

Last edited:
:ss/Reuniclus:
Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Thunder

Reuniclus takes the fullest advantage on big roadblocks for Volc such as Chansey and Toxapex absorbing status for Volcarona , and can open up so Volcarona can sweep after they are removed. Reuniclus appreciates Volcarona on removing steel types and dark types that Reuniclus can't break on it's own such as Hydreigon and Magearna.

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
:ss/heracross: :flame orb:
Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Spikes

The double Bug offensive core is here! Despite sharing a Bug-typing, they only have one shared weakness in Flying. Heracross threatens some of the main Volcarona checks like Chansey and specially defensive Toxapex, as Guts + Flame Orb means it can take status moves and Knock Off all it wants (as long as its Flame Orb has activated). Additionally, Volcarona appreciates Spikes support from Heracross, as it forces a lot of switches and the chip damage can weaken its checks over time, setting it up for a sweep.

1593275376694.png

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 220 HP / 152 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Magearna's Fleur Cannon can help to weaken Magearna and Volcarona's shared checks such as Alolan Marowak, Rotom-H and Cinderace. It also attracts Pokemon that Volcarona can set-up on such as opposing Magearna, Amoonguss and Ferrothorn. A slow Volt Switch allows Magearna to bring in Volcarona safely while Trick is used to cripple Chansey and SpD Toxapex which the core hates. 136 Spe allows Magearna to be faster than Azumarill and OHKO it while 220 HP allows Magearna to survive a +6 Aqua Jet after Stealth Rock 100% of the time.

Last edited:
:ss/pyukumuku:

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Soak
- Toxic
- Block
- Rest

This thing deals with numerous Volcarona checks in an unorthodox way. If Chansey isn't running Teleport this mon will come in and ruin its day. This is true of every defensive answer to Volcarona that does not have a way to switch-out. Even if your opponent understands the point of this mon, they will still potentially sack a mon to toxic or block if you play it correctly.

Reactions: UHX

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Wood Hammer

Rillaboom naturally draws Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Corvkinight, Skarmory, Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Magearna etc. out, all of which Volcarona can set up in the face of, and pivots as they come in using U-turn. In addition, Rillaboom's offensive typing and access to Grassy Glide means that it can keep Pokemon like Azumarill in check while also serving as a general use wallbreaker for Volcarona, and Grassy Surge weakens Excadrill's Earthquake on a short-term basis, which Volcarona appreciates in the sand matchup (as well as enjoying the passive healing it provides).

Last edited:

voyage

Banned deucer.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Rotom-W is a great partner of Volcarona. He has an interesting double type and good ability. In addition to owning Defog. Between the two, they cover each other well, eliminating threats from each one such as grass type / waters, for example Growth / Ferro and in another Pex, Mantine or Gyara. This set may come in handy to disable Chansey with Trick which is another threat to watch out for.

Last edited:
:ss/cinderace:

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Pyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- Sucker Punch / High Jump Kick / Gunk Shot

Cinderace presents as a good partner to Volcarona thanks to their similar checks. Cinderace can use a similar offensive spread to Volcarona in Pyro Ball and Zen Headbutt to draw in and take on checks such as Kommo-o, Toxapex, Marowak-Alola, Rotom-H, and Dragapult. Sucker Punch improves the Dragapult and Marowak match-up, but High Jump Kick can let Cinderace better take on Tyranitar, Rotom-H, and Chansey. Gunk Shot serves to add Azumarill and Primarina to the checklist but watch out for Aqua Jet.

Last edited:

ithrowrocksatkids

Banned deucer.
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

trick chansey pex and volc can afford to get statused by pex claim some mons then do it again with healing wish

Martin

Sorry for the delay. Before I announce the results for this week, I just want to clarify how the archive is going to work for this project, as I forgot to mention that in the OP.
  • There is no winners system in this project, and as such there will be no cap or floor on the number of posts that get archived. I may archive 1 or 10 posts, depending on the number of submissions and the overall quality of said submissions.
  • I, the host, can archive my own posts, but due to the potential for bias, I can't highlight myself in the post showcase.
    • This will change if I ever decide to get a co-host, as then there will be a second party to evaluate my posts.
  • There will not necessarily be a post showcase every round. Similarly, there may be more than one post showcase in any given week.
With that out of the way, thank you for your patience. I will post the results+week 2 shortly.

Martin

:bw/volcarona:
Round 1 Results
The following posts will be archived: :dragapult::zeraora::reuniclus::heracross::magearna::rillaboom:
Excellent partners that were overlooked: :ferrothorn::skarmory::corviknight::alakazam::togekiss::clefable:

I'm very happy with how this round turned out. The vast majority of the posts contained good partners, so trying to scrape off the cream was a challenge in itself. Hopefully this should set a good baseline for how I decide what gets archived among even good partners. Every round I'll give some feedback so that you can see my thought processes when deciding on what gets archived. That said, I'm astonished at the lack of Spikes submitted considering Spikes+Volca is godly.
Dragapult is an excellent partner for Volcarona as much in the sense that it just gels well onto teams that Volcarona is run on as much as due to its own synergy. Being able to bait out Clefable and Magearna for Volcarona is so useful, although that said you do need to be very careful around Clefable due to the threat of Thunder Wave.

Azumarill is a good partner but I just don't think it brings as much key utility as the archived partners do. It sorta feels like a case of two strong, offensive Pokémon pairing well because they're both strong and offensive.

Electric-type+Volcarona is a tried and true core that's lasted for generations. While not being able to viably carry Volt Switch like past Electric-type partners did is a bummer, it is undeniable that this Pokemon is very good at generating opportunities for Volcarona through conditioning and smart double switches. The shared checks are just the icing on the cake here, although I would've personally liked to see Play Rough+Expert Belt slashed to capitalise on that a bit better.

Reuniclus's utility is very specific but also very, very useful to have. Setting up in the face of Chansey and SpD Toxapex is just such a godsend, and between the two of them and a breaker with more immediate firepower, it can be very difficult for a lot of balance builds to take both of these Pokémon on at once.

Like I said above, Volcarona+Spikes is so god-damn good. As for Heracross specifically, its provides immediate wallbreaking power, which Volca teams really need, and being able to lay down Spikes at the same time is such good role compression. Overall a very, very good partner.

Magearna is good on its own merits really, but I think the thing which sets it apart as a partner for Volcarona beyond just helping to overwhelm Fire-types/similar is its ability to just shut down Dragapult every time it comes in to check Volcarona. Really any set could've gone here and it would've still been great.

I don't like Pyukumuku as a Volcarona partner really. Sure, it can help deal with some of its checks, but the problem is much more one of archetype than anything else. Pyuku fits on very, very defensive teams and not a whole lot else, and this can cause problems considering that Volcarona generally fits best on balance and offence. I just can't see a situation where I'd have both of these Pokémon on one team.

I subbed Rilla so I won't reiterate what I typed.

Rotom-W itself is a pretty damn good partner for Volcarona, but I do kinda wonder how effective a Choice Scarf set is in this format. I like the theoretical synergy with TrickScarf but in practice I doubt a Scarf set would be running two Electric-type STABs as opposed to carrying something like NP>Thunderbolt, and if anything NP would make it a much better partner for Volca due to it bringing some breaking power to the table.

Cinder is neither here nor there really. It's one of those things which I think shares answers on paper but doesn't in practice, and as such I don't really see what specific utility it brings for Volcarona.

I like ScarfRachi as a partner for this on paper as Healing Wish is incredibly useful. The main issue is just that ScarfRachi just… ain't that useful in general atm.

Post Showcase
:heracross: by Ruft
:magearna: by Random Passerby

I'll get the archive updated and will post round 2 shortly.

Last edited:

Martin

Round 2: Teleport Slowbro
:bw/slowbro:
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots / ___ / Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
IVs: 0 Atk
- Teleport
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Future Sight / Thunder Wave / Psyshock / Psychic / Ice Beam

Teleport Slowbro has been making waves as an outstanding defensive pivot. Now tell me: what pairs well with it?

Last edited:

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Poison Jab

Urshifu is a fantastic partner for Slowbro as it appreciates being brought in on things such as Aegislash , Ferrothorn , and Chansey that Slowbro invites in , but thanks to to teleport it can bring in Urshifu safely and can then break through these mons with immediate breaking power and remove them to relieve the pressure for Slowbro. Future Sight is also an amazing move that Urshifu appreciates as mons that try to switch into Urshifu gotta take loads of damage from its attacks and get heavily weakened and then can be removed from Future sight allowing for Urshifu to break through teams even easier now. Slowbro in returns handles with things such as Cinderace and Hawlucha that can revenge kill Urshifu.

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
:ss/heracross: :flame orb:
Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

Heracross is an excellent partner to Future Sight Slowbro (which I think is one of, if not the main option for its fourth move). Slowbro can use Future Sight and potentially bring in Heracross safely with Teleport, which usually gives the opponent two options:
  • switch to something that can potentially take on Heracross (Toxapex, Hippowdon, Clefable, Amoonguss) and take big damage from Future Sight, allowing Heracross to take them out regardless
  • stay in/switch to something that can take Future Sight (mostly Dark- and Steel-types and Chansey) and get pummeled by Heracross.
This combo works with Urshifu too and has been decently common in WCoP (usually with Urshifu over Heracross since it's lowkey broken).

Last edited:
:ss/Mandibuzz:
Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 48 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird / U-Turn / Toxic

Mandibuzz + Slowbro form a capable defensive core, able to cover each other's weaknesses effectively and deal with CB Urshifu by forcing mind games between CC and Wicked Blow. The given EV spread allows Mandibuzz to take a +2 dazzling gleam from non-LO Alakazam while outspeeding max speed Azumarill. Foul Play allows mandi to deal with BD Azumarill, Marowak, and other strong Physical attackers. The last move is customizable based on the team. Brave Bird allows Mandibuzz to severely dent Volcarona, while U-Turn grabs momentum and forms a spammable turn core with TPort. Toxic can be used to cripple mons that attempt to switch in such as R-Heat.

Last edited:

Martin

Gonna do my own sub then move on. All completed posts will be archived as the week was slow and all were good partners.

:bw/tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Powder / Stun Spore

Tangrowth forms a potent regenerator core alongside Slowbro and acts as a super bulky pivot into Urshifu when scouting its lock that can also punish it with Helmet. Slowbro can also shut down Cinderace's offense for Tangrowth, which is very helpful in the long term, Tangrowth shuts down Zeraora efficiently, and the combo totally shut down non-Toxic variants of Excadrill even when in the awkward position of one being weakened. The core does need to be very careful of U-turn from Cinder and Urshifu, however, and there is a big hole left open versus Rotom-H that you need to patch up with another teammate.

Martin

Like I said before, everything is getting archived so I won't be doing a write-up this week. This next one probably doesn't have much longer left so I might as well get it out of the way now.

Round 3: Choice Specs Magearna
:ss/magearna:
Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 112 SpA / 12 SpD / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere
- Trick

This Pokémon is pretty much inarguably the best Pokemon in the format right now, and with good reason. It's extremely easy to plug onto teams thanks to its incredible defensive utility, its absurdly strong, and all its answers are very, very easy to wear down over the course of a match (or otherwise despise Trick). Lets see what people have been running alongside it!

Ruft

OU Leader
:ss/slowbro::heavy-duty boots:
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots / No Item
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
- Thunder Wave / Toxic / Future Sight

Magearna is often threatened out by Excadrill and Cinderace, both of which Slowbro is a decent check to (non-Shadow Bone Alolan Marowak too in case you opt for itemless Slowbro). It can also use Teleport to bring in Magearna safely, giving it more opportunities to create holes in the opposing team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)