Pokémon Unite

We saw these (& more) costumes from the closed beta impressions but the japanese site shows off a few if anyone hadnt seen them https://www.pokemonunite.jp/ja/costume/
The website seems to be rather sloppy in its information.

Say, the Costumes page shows Garchomp's adorable beach costume.

1623964022608.png

But if you go to the Playable Pokémon page... Garchomp isn't there.

1623964044675.png

The same happens with a few other Pokémon.

I assume the plan is to detail the characters in batches as time goes on

meanwhile the costumes they just chose ones that they thought were fun or eyecatching & relevant.
Were it not for the fact that Garchomp appears in the list of characters of the international website. The same happens with Machamp and Cinderace.

Were it not for the fact that Garchomp appears in the list of characters of the international website. The same happens with Machamp and Cinderace.
Oh, that is weird.

Actually seems like the english site, of all things, has more detail over all. The profiles show the stats, evolution chain, progression, etc. The Japanese side doesnt, though it does have character videos (maybe another reason why?) though firefox isn't letting those play.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Choice Band Choice Scarf Assault Vest Gorrila Tactics Darm-G go!
That’s provided Galarian Darmanitan is a playable in the game, right? … Right? :psynervous:

Either way, Unite do seems more interesting than the first impressions made it so. I might give it some watch on gameplay videos to see if it looks good or not.

That’s provided Galarian Darmanitan is a playable in the game, right? … Right? :psynervous:

Either way, Unite do seems more interesting than the first impressions made it so. I might give it some watch on gameplay videos to see if it looks good or not.
it is free to play, i believe

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
SO I've been playing a bit over the last 24 hours or so.

The basic mechanics are pretty good, but they might need to do some tweaks to certain Pokemon.

If you see Snorlax and you are on your own? Run away as fast as you can. He can easily chain stunlock you from full HP to dead. He can even win 2v1s in some situations (especially early game, he can solo lane no issues).
Zeraora is insanely strong too. Not as bad I don't think as Snorlax, but has an escape and a dive. Talonflame can also dive a very long range to snipe, but you more often than not end up horribly out of position (and die as a result). I wanted to like Crustle, but I'm honestly not sure if he will be meta or not. Rock Tomb is a super strong trap against other defensive mons without an escape, but so many attackers can just hope over the wall and run away. It vs Shell Smash is an interesting pick though.

I think they need to buff the Drednaw camp (and maybe the others apart from Rotom/Middle Boss), because the buff doesn't seem to last long enough for some mons to actually benefit from it.

ALSO WHAT THE HECK IS THE UI

The ZR and R buttons are reversed compared to how they are placed on the controller??? Why did they do this??

OH: Do not spend money on this game, be patient and wait for stuff. Most of the items can be gotten free (And a bunch of Pokemon can be gotten free over the next 2 weeks (Around 7 or 8). Battle Pass is mostly cosmetics, so YMMV there.

For the pokemon you unlock for free later, I've seen that you get coin rebate when you "unlock" them if you had already bought them. So if there's someone you really want, you can pay coins to get it now with no long term consequence.

Game seems pretty solid to me, been maining Zeraora and I agree with DHR, it's really good.

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
The game is fun but is hard to take seriously when you can have a 400 points lead but lose because someone sniped Zapdos in the last 2 minutes and scored 500 points out of nowhere with little counterplay.
Like seriously, the first 8 minutes mean nothing, it always comes down to who kills Zapdos.

Vertigo

the inevitable masquerading as a coincidence
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
The game is fun but is hard to take seriously when you can have a 400 points lead but lose because someone sniped Zapdos in the last 2 minutes and scored 500 points out of nowhere with little counterplay.
Like seriously, the first 8 minutes mean nothing, it always comes down to who kills Zapdos.
If you play League of Legends or heard about it, you'll notice it's almost the same thing when it comes down to Nashor (except it does require more skill on League and scaling is different, but globally it's the same thing)

If you play League of Legends or heard about it, you'll notice it's almost the same thing when it comes down to Nashor (except it does require more skill on League and scaling is different, but globally it's the same thing)
Disclaimer: I haven't played any MOBAs at all. I don't know anything in particular.

It seems more important for team games to have there be a chance for a late-game comeback since players getting discouraged by an unwinnable situation can lead to a poor social side. I know a lot of team shooters handle this with overtime: a team that's behind can keep scoring as long as they maintain a hold on the objective. If that's untenable for whatever reason (hard time constraints on a match, difficult to determine whether someone is "on an objective," etc.), I could see it being quite easy to overcompensate and make the comeback mechanic the most important part of winning.

Vertigo

the inevitable masquerading as a coincidence
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Disclaimer: I haven't played any MOBAs at all. I don't know anything in particular.

It seems more important for team games to have there be a chance for a late-game comeback since players getting discouraged by an unwinnable situation can lead to a poor social side. I know a lot of team shooters handle this with overtime: a team that's behind can keep scoring as long as they maintain a hold on the objective. If that's untenable for whatever reason (hard time constraints on a match, difficult to determine whether someone is "on an objective," etc.), I could see it being quite easy to overcompensate and make the comeback mechanic the most important part of winning.
That's why people usually think about Zapdos like a guaranteed win, but in MOBAs like League of Legends (which is the only example I have, but probably also the best one), there's no time limit : you can come up with a plan with your team, even if you're behind, and it all comes down to how well you play after; the 10 minutes limit in Unite games is constraining because it means that the winning team is the one who managed to get the Zapdos, while the other team has no chances. If there was no time limit, the other team could still catch up and eventually win if they come up with a good strategy, which is the point of these games.

Glad to see there's people here participating in discussions and what not. I have scanned the previous pages of this thread but it looks like no one brought up the fact that some matches are against bots.

So basically, Pokemon Unite uses a bot system that is common in many mobile PvP games. They are designed to look like real players, but are obviously not. In Unite, bots can take the name of any player it randomly selects, and gives them a loading bar while the match is setting up.

How can I tell if I'm in a fighting against bots?
After getting used to the game, you can start to notice the scripted movement bots have. Typically, they stand in lane, attack wild Pokemon, and attack you once you get too close. They will keep attacking you until their HP threshold reaches a certain amount, then flee directly towards their tower.

However, there are 2 easy ways of telling whether or not you are fighting bots:

BEFORE a match - Click on the opponent's Pokemon during the loading screen to show their trainer photo. All bots have a zoomed in, blurry photo of their trainer. I've seen bots even use the same photo in a single match, so there are probably a handful of repeating trainer photos.

AFTER a match - During the result screen, you can click on a player to send friend requests, report them, or a variety of other options. Clicking on a bot does not give you the dialogue box that includes all those options.

How often do bot matches appear?
Bot matches (5 real players on your side versus 5 bots) are a part of every match type - including Ranked Matches. If you are playing solo, you will be up against bots after every loss. Also, your very first Ranked Match will be ALL bots, including your teammates.

What's your opinion on this? Anyone that has more knowledge about this?

EDIT: This text is just a copy + paste, I did not write this myself.

For people that are confused so as to why Pikachu doesn't start as Pichu, Snorlax as Munchlax, Lucario as Riolu, Mr. Mime as Mime Jr., etc., I have an explanation. These Pokémon that begin as fully evolved ones (or as Jigglypuff instead of Igglybuff for Wigglytuff) all evolve via Happiness. I suspect that to keep the game simple, the programmers decided to only keep Pokémon that evolve normally (by level up). By this logic, Pokémon such as Escavalier would likely not be in the game, while Pokémon such as Blissey or Sylveon that evolve specially would start as their fully evolved form too (although for Blissey it could be discussed because it still evolves via level-up but has to carry an item ; let's say for the sake of the theory that "evolving specially" is not evolving via sole level-up). A friend theorized that these started the way they started because the prevos are from other gens, but Riolu/Lucario rules out this theory. This could rule out things such as Crobat because it only reaches its final stage of evolution with Happiness, unlike Wigglytuff whose first-ever stage evolves by being happy instead, leading to Jigglypuff and its evo still being usable. The Crobatline could therefore still be present but cap at Crobat which.. Sucks.

I also think things such as split evolutions could be very hard to code in as playable characters for this type of game. This also rules out things such as Politoed/wrath, Beautifly/Dustox, or Eevee being the base form for Sylveon, etc. Forms such as Aegislash are also unlikely, due to Vulpix-Kanto and Mega-Pokémon not existing in the games.

Just wanted to tell people this, as well as possibly strike discussion about who couldn't be in the game.

For people that are confused so as to why Pikachu doesn't start as Pichu, Snorlax as Munchlax, Lucario as Riolu, Mr. Mime as Mime Jr., etc., I have an explanation. These Pokémon that begin as fully evolved ones (or as Jigglypuff instead of Igglybuff for Wigglytuff) all evolve via Happiness. I suspect that to keep the game simple, the programmers decided to only keep Pokémon that evolve normally (by level up). By this logic, Pokémon such as Escavalier would likely not be in the game, while Pokémon such as Blissey or Sylveon that evolve specially would start as their fully evolved form too (although for Blissey it could be discussed because it still evolves via level-up but has to carry an item ; let's say for the sake of the theory that "evolving specially" is not evolving via sole level-up). A friend theorized that these started the way they started because the prevos are from other gens, but Riolu/Lucario rules out this theory. This could rule out things such as Crobat because it only reaches its final stage of evolution with Happiness, unlike Wigglytuff whose first-ever stage evolves by being happy instead, leading to Jigglypuff and its evo still being usable. The Crobatline could therefore still be present but cap at Crobat which.. Sucks.

I also think things such as split evolutions could be very hard to code in as playable characters for this type of game. This also rules out things such as Politoed/wrath, Beautifly/Dustox, or Eevee being the base form for Sylveon, etc. Forms such as Aegislash are also unlikely, due to Vulpix-Kanto and Mega-Pokémon not existing in the games.

Just wanted to tell people this, as well as possibly strike discussion about who couldn't be in the game.
Couldn’t they just make an exception and just have these Pokemon level up for this game in order to evolve?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)