Pokémon GO

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
The new update allows players to transform Rare Candies in bulk.

Finally, only I have no idea who to use my Rare Candies on lol.
Mewtwo, or Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon. Go all in!
Otherwise:
Prepare for Togekiss with Rare candy, as hatching Togepi and catching Togetic can be rare.
Porygon is a rare hatch and catch Pokémon, but PorygonZ will make huge waves! Rare candies will be well spent because without Yawn, Porygon-Z is the strongest Hyper Beam user (factoring in Quick Move Damage) vs Slaking.

Last edited:
Otherwise:
Prepare for Togekiss with Rare candy, as hatching Togepi and catching Togetic can be rare.
Porygon is a rare hatch and catch Pokémon, but PorygonZ will make huge waves! Rare candies will be well spent because without Yawn, Porygon-Z is the strongest Hyper Beam user (factoring in Quick Move Damage) vs Slaking.
I live in a rural area and can only go to gyms once a week, so I don't get Rare Candies too often (I'm finally sitting at above 100) and I have yet to receive an EX Pass. Most my legendaries are below 90% so I'm kinda waiting until some make a return lol. I actually managed to hatch a few Togepi a while back and have one sitting at 14/15/15 and another at 15/12/15.

I think my highest IV legendary is Raikou and a recently caught Latios.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I live in a rural area and can only go to gyms once a week, so I don't get Rare Candies too often (I'm finally sitting at above 100) and I have yet to receive an EX Pass. Most my legendaries are below 90% so I'm kinda waiting until some make a return lol. I actually managed to hatch a few Togepi a while back and have one sitting at 14/15/15 and another at 15/12/15.

I think my highest IV legendary is Raikou and a recently caught Latios.
Any Porygon?
I hope you hatch or catch at least a dozen so you can get the eventual 100 needed.
You can always Walk a Pokémon for pseudo Rare candies, focus on Togepi for now and then when you get to the 100, switch to Porygon (only 3 KM)

Any Porygon?
I hope you hatch or catch at least a dozen so you can get the eventual 100 needed.
You can always Walk a Pokémon for pseudo Rare candies, focus on Togepi for now and then when you get to the 100, switch to Porygon (only 3 KM)
I've also hatched a number of Porygon that I'm sitting with 86 candies, with my best one at 14/12/14. My buddy right now is Wailmer (another 100km to go!) but I plan on switching to Feebas after that. I think the best way to use my candies is on legendaries, but like I said I'm not really satisfied with any of them for now, which kinda sucks. Hopefully after Articuno, we'll get the gen 2 legendaries for completing research tasks?

Otherwise:
In name of efficiency, I'd say to never use Rare Candy on anything not legendary. Maybe 5km buddies can be borderline exception, but not something like Togepi with generous 3km buddy distance. After I see I have enough candy in all species to complete my Houen Dex, I'm buddying Togetic myself and without one realising it, one will gather so many candies. Admittedly my 300ish candies aren't enough since I have few +Lv25 +80%IV (outstanding) caught Togetic, just thanks by biome (Neverendingly, the Clefairy biome).

And although having the stats, I long doubt Porygon-Z's ability with its Normal type being the useless offensive type.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
In name of efficiency, I'd say to never use Rare Candy on anything not legendary. Maybe 5km buddies can be borderline exception, but not something like Togepi with generous 3km buddy distance. After I see I have enough candy in all species to complete my Houen Dex, I'm buddying Togetic myself and without one realising it, one will gather so many candies. Admittedly my 300ish candies aren't enough since I have few +Lv25 +80%IV (outstanding) caught Togetic, just thanks by biome (Neverendingly, the Clefairy biome).

And although having the stats, I long doubt Porygon-Z's ability with its Normal type being the useless offensive type.
It’s Hyper Beam with STAB is as strong as an unSTABBED Solar Beam coming off of 264 Attack (1 higher than Dragonite) and only 6 less than Groudon.

Imagine Groudon’s Solar Beam without fearing the common resistances of Flying, Dragon, Fire, etc. We already see neutral coverage with Dragon moves (Rayquaza, Dragonite, etc.) against Gyms filled with Blissey, Chansey, Snorlax, Slaking, so why not Hyper Beams?

Neutral coverage isn’t bad, when backed by huge Attack.

Probably the worst event ever. Roughly 100 Charmander caught, only 1 shiny and 0 viable. Latios ran away and the Ho-Oh I got was 82.2%

At least I caught enough Charmander to evolve the two viable Charmeleon I had, I guess.

It’s Hyper Beam with STAB is as strong as an unSTABBED Solar Beam coming off of 264 Attack (1 higher than Dragonite) and only 6 less than Groudon.

Imagine Groudon’s Solar Beam without fearing the common resistances of Flying, Dragon, Fire, etc. We already see neutral coverage with Dragon moves (Rayquaza, Dragonite, etc.) against Gyms filled with Blissey, Chansey, Snorlax, Slaking, so why not Hyper Beams?

Neutral coverage isn’t bad, when backed by huge Attack.
I have never considered using Solar Beam Groudon as Grass attacker. And particularly as generalist. The only reason I can see for using PoryZ would be because one doesn't have those legendaries while needing generalist. And considering the defense gym meta is pretty much mostly brickwall to be broken by Machamp....
Not to mention both moves are slow. And I don't think PoryZ has the bulk of legendaries to pull that for a long time.

Or maybe that's because I never use generalist and would switch mon. The only time I'd generalise things is when it involves things that doesn't hit Machamp or Raikou too bad even under type advantage. So nah, I think at best PoryZ would be just a good 'mon, but not best to use.
Unless Tackle is that good for an attack, and that's if PoryZ still has it.
And who knows if then some Ghosts or things like Rhyperior just dropped in.

Anyways, bad day. Could only snagged 5 Shiny Charmanders (and that's with active walking, I'm now laying on my futon) and overall IV was not good. I could only get good high level 'zardon just because I had prepared them to be evolved. Bah....
And then I fell off my bike because I misstepped on a hole. Now my leg is cramped.

Probably the worst event ever. Roughly 100 Charmander caught, only 1 shiny and 0 viable. Latios ran away and the Ho-Oh I got was 82.2%

At least I caught enough Charmander to evolve the two viable Charmeleon I had, I guess.
Apparently we Asian residents aren't the only one. Europeans also report low Charmander spawns now. At least it's good to know we're not the only, but Niantic :pikuh:

Last edited:
Spawns were a lot lower than before, but we still got a lot of shinies, I actually like it that way
Got two shinies, one of which was the strongest one we've found during the 3 hours

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Good thing I harvested enough candies to evolve a 100% charmeleon and reserved enough in case I found a good shiny as I'm not able to get out as much today mainly due to the heavy rains we're experiencing here. I'm sure Blast Burn will be useful for a future raid that needs a good fire attacker, not sure which yet, maybe regice or registeel we'll see as Machamp will probably dominate those anyways.

Edit: I'm already speculating the next community day even pokemon will be beldum followed by squirtle, that's based on whom were the past pokemon for Community Day.

I found just enough Charms to pinap my way to evolving a Zard. The one thing I noted that was actually kinda neat was all the researches turned into Charm catching goals, which overlapped and made it so I could rack up great balls easily.

Still think the encounter rate was way lacking compared to past community days. Back then, you could see two or three Dratinis per block. Now it's too many spawns in the fighting event and too few spawns in the community day.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Good thing I harvested enough candies to evolve a 100% charmeleon and reserved enough in case I found a good shiny as I'm not able to get out as much today mainly due to the heavy rains we're experiencing here. I'm sure Blast Burn will be useful for a future raid that needs a good fire attacker, not sure which yet, maybe regice or registeel we'll see as Machamp will probably dominate those anyways.

Edit: I'm already speculating the next community day even pokemon will be beldum followed by squirtle, that's based on whom were the past pokemon for Community Day.
Machamp outperforms Charizard with Blast Burn against Regice and Registeel (and of course Regirock).

Stick with Moltres and Entei, then Heatran, then Reshiram, Volcanrano gets honorable mention.
Mega Blaziken, (not Mega Charizard X or Y), if not Primal Groudon, for Best Fire Type overall.

They nerfed Blast Burn. I’m praying for Swampert over Blastoise, as it has decent stats and a great typing. Blastoise would need Hydro cannon to be a 3 bar Charge Move to have any hope of at least surpassing Gyarados, but definitely not Kyogre.

https://pokemongohub.net/post/meta/blast-burn-charizard-a-comprehensive-meta-analysis/

Expert Evan

My best moltres is only 84% and entei at 91%, was also considering all tier 3 solos as I'm lacking a powered up fire type against Pinsir with only a few flareons, and while I have some golems with rock moves there's always the issue of Pinsirs with Rock Smash. I'll hold off powering up anymore fire types until the time comes for a need of them.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
My best moltres is only 84% and entei at 91%, was also considering all tier 3 solos as I'm lacking a powered up fire type against Pinsir with only a few flareons, and while I have some golems with rock moves there's always the issue of Pinsirs with Rock Smash. I'll hold off powering up anymore fire types until the time comes for a need of them.
Just use Rayquaza, Flying Moves are coming off such high Attack it’ll KO it. Much easier to spend a few Charged TM on something you already likely powered up than Stardust and Rare Candies on something short term. You can always charged TM it back to Dragon. I assume you have enough Dragonites and Lati@s to handle other Dragon raids for now.

I would argue Moltres will always have a niche as will Heatran. It will resist Ground moves, while Heatran will have 5 double resistances (steel, fairy, ice, bug, grass) plus Poison (counts as a 6th “double” resistance) and its two types have the most resistances in the game, while Moltres has a key a Fighting resistance (and double resistance to Bug and Grass).

Ho-oh’s potential in getting Sacred Fire as a 2 bar 100 base power charged move is he only threat.

Enter is just waiting to be replaced by Reshiram.

With Houou freshly added into the equation, I now have to question Niantic's decision making.

I'm grateful that the make return of it that I haven't caught a lot of it before. But this is so sudden. Now I have to choose between Houou or Latios whenever a silver egg is spotted. Can't they instead wait for Lati twins to make exit and at the very least make them appear with the Regis, which are useless anyway? (I know Lati twins are useless here, but at least they're less useless than the Regis.)

Expert Evan

I got my 9th Mewtwo today (9 consecutive times catching Mewtwo) although I still haven't gotten anything better than the 82% with 15 attack & 11 in HP/Defense from several months ago. At this point I'm not going to try to raid at ex raid locations anymore since I expect it to get tougher for me to attend these with newer expected obligations to be responsible with.

I'm not sure what to expect with these Alolan forms as I didn't get far playing sun/moon when they came out and essentially stopped playing the video game and favored Pokemon GO instead.

I had dreamt that they would be released along with Kantonians before, but....

Ahahahaha! My dreamt AnniversAloRaichu! And I also prepared a Karakara/Cubone? for this too.

Now though, how will AloKyukon / Ninetails? compare with other Ices? Well, others that is not Mamoswine.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I had dreamt that they would be released along with Kantonians before, but....

Ahahahaha! My dreamt AnniversAloRaichu! And I also prepared a Karakara/Cubone? for this too.

Now though, how will AloKyukon / Ninetails? compare with other Ices? Well, others that is not Mamoswine.
Alolan Ninetales is still held back by poor stats, particularly Attack. I don't see a reason to use it over other Ice-types, and other Fairy-types too.

I think the only useful Alolan forms will be Golem and Muk. A-Golem is essentially our current Golem with a different typing, which is useful given it's role as the best Rock-type attacker. The extra typing may be more advantageous in certain future match-ups in a defensive viewpoint for attacking gyms or raids. For example in the current Ho-Oh raid, that typing means it tanks Steel Wing, Brave Bird and Solar Beam better.

Alolan Muk may be a useful gym defender given its stats, that only has one weakness, and it'd assumingly have Dark-type moves to hit them neutrally. May encourage people to waste time switching from Machamp to Rhydon or Groudon.

EDIT: forgot Alolan Exeggutor. It has slightly inferior attack and bulk to normal Exeggutor, but the added Water-type resistance is handy for greater total damage output (more damage till you faint), and the loss of Dark-type weakness is better against Tyranitar (and even being neutral to Fire Blast).

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Ninetales-A needs to use a double Ice-type moveset (like Frost Breath / Ice Beam) and face a doubly weak Dragon-type with a Dragon moveset to prove its worth. It's too weak otherwise.

Golem-A is an improvement over its regular variant if it gets Rock / Rock - for Ho-Oh, it still dies to Solar Beam regardless of the typing but faces Brave Bird variants better and appreciates the Steel Wing matchup being slightly better.

Muk-A is honestly inferior to Muk. Its niche as a defender is very small, and I believe Muk's resist to Fighting (the premier attacking type) gives it an edge anyways. As an attacker, it's inferior to some Dark attackers because it doesn't double resist Psychic (compromising its bulk), and as a Poison-type attacker it loses resistance to something like Fairy. That said, it's not a terrible Pokemon. There's just better things.

Exeggutor-A is noteworthy for being double resistant to Water-type and Electric-type moves; it has 3 less Atk than Exeggutor with an equally mediocre Grass-type moveset (Bullet Seed / Solar Beam, unless it gets Grass Knot) but faces those Water-types even better and actually serves as a budget Kyogre counter. Blizzard already kills regular Exeggutor so it only gains from the typing change as a Grass-type attacker.

Every other Alolan is lol. Dugtrio-A's double resist to Rock is noteworthy I guess???

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Ninetales-A needs to use a double Ice-type moveset (like Frost Breath / Ice Beam) and face a doubly weak Dragon-type with a Dragon moveset to prove its worth. It's too weak otherwise.

Golem-A is an improvement over its regular variant if it gets Rock / Rock - for Ho-Oh, it still dies to Solar Beam regardless of the typing but faces Brave Bird variants better and appreciates the Steel Wing matchup being slightly better.

Muk-A is honestly inferior to Muk. Its niche as a defender is very small, and I believe Muk's resist to Fighting (the premier attacking type) gives it an edge anyways. As an attacker, it's inferior to some Dark attackers because it doesn't double resist Psychic (compromising its bulk), and as a Poison-type attacker it loses resistance to something like Fairy. That said, it's not a terrible Pokemon. There's just better things.

Exeggutor-A is noteworthy for being double resistant to Water-type and Electric-type moves; it has 3 less Atk than Exeggutor with an equally mediocre Grass-type moveset (Bullet Seed / Solar Beam, unless it gets Grass Knot) but faces those Water-types even better and actually serves as a budget Kyogre counter. Blizzard already kills regular Exeggutor so it only gains from the typing change as a Grass-type attacker.

Every other Alolan is lol. Dugtrio-A's double resist to Rock is noteworthy I guess???
Don’t forget Exegg’s 4x Grass Type resistance. Other Dragons do too, but just for completeness.

Lol, if Rhyperior gets Surf, it will be it’s best Counter by virtue of resisting Earthquake, and 4x resisting Surf while hitting it with 4x effective Grass Damage.

Last edited:
And the featured Pokemon for Community Day on June 16th will be... Larvitar! Catching Pokemon will yield 3x EXP and Lures will be up for 3 hours as well. According to the news in-app, the featured move is Smack Down.

Source

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)