Pokémon GO

june community day is larvitar, and the chinese/japanese news announcements seem to confirm smack down will be its CD fast move

we've not yet had a community day move with such a massive impact if it turns out to indeed be smack down

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Yea that has huge implications. It removes regular Golem's prime role in the metagame as Tyranitar is essentially uncontested as a Rock-type attacker short of Rhyperior (which needs Smack Down) or Golem-A against Flying-types.

Locking out a highly metagame relevant move such as this one behind a 3 hour window is honestly worrisome and I'm not a fan of it, but what can you do?

Oh great. I have no more ideal T'tar kids to go on with this. This is a case of something to meta-relevant. I'll be really, really pressed to find the best T'tar and have to accept not-so-perfect ones to my ranks soon, seeing how horrible my days were with last one. I'll have to prepare more pinaps, good balls, and a quick hand to do this. I already burnt out my candies to upgrade my T'tars.

Just hope it'll be pretty sunny on that day and I can find at least near perfect ones. I should be able to find a good one with my luck of finding 2 98% Mareeps before... hopefully.

Seriously though, I thought we were way far from the dreaded Fear of Evolving since the TMs come. But now exclusive move and barring use of TM on community event makes everyone lie under this FoE again. I also regret having burnt all my candies to max out few of my T'tars

Last edited:
I'm sitting on a 93% Larvitar but hopefully I can get higher. Definitely going to save up those berries and balls, might even throw away some potions to make room.

I think I'm now about to rant about my community now. Sighs....

Despite the decent population, I decided to join a raid group as one veteran invited me a year ago, which is quite large now. I can't trust around 12 raiders with not even proper counters anyway, I'd never have won any high raid. However, I can't say I like how group members act now. I can get over them boasting about shinies, perfect scraps, and whatnot, but I can't really take how they are easily the rudest people I have encountered inside a chatroom. My inquisitive attempt to study and bring benefits on things are only welcomed with jeers. Whenever I chatted outside raids, they only end up laughing at me. I tried all speaking style from polite soft-speaking to trying to speak their way but there's no change. And don't even get me with multis. I just got shaved last night in an hour.

Really, a closed chatroom brings the worst of everyone, huh? The only things that I can savour is that I understand Pokemon more than any of them do; they only mindlessly collect 'mon, I cherish them. But then it makes me feel sad that I'm among those mediocrities.

Good thing I may be the only one who knows quick-draw throwing trick.
Maybe I just have really different wavelengths....
... sorry for the rant. I feel better now that I have let this out.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Yea, the Rock attacker just uses dual Rock and will be the better generalist / higher damage set. The Dark attacker will still continue to use Bite / Crunch, though. 2 Tyranitar with a Rock and a Dark moveset covers a lot of bases.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Locking out a highly metagame relevant move such as this one behind a 3 hour window is honestly worrisome and I'm not a fan of it, but what can you do?
Considering that Mareep's community day move was Dragon Pulse, which multiple other Pokemon have, and Dratini's was Draco Meteor which Salamence has, I feel that Smack Down will not remain exclusive to Tyranitar, and in a later Pokemon Go update more Pokemon will have access to it. Hopefully Rhyperior.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Yea I hope it's distributed later, but I'm scared that Tyranitar itself will claim Smack Down as a "sig" fast move that isn't going to be obtainable for a long time (it sticks with Bite / Iron Tail on non-event periods whereas everything else gets Smack Down eventually).

Articuno is coming back, though I'm not sure when. The in-game announcement says June 2nd (Wednesday) which would actually be 2021 at the earliest lol.

EDIT:

Get ready for more Field Research tasks and exciting rewards in June! On June 1 at 1:00 p.m. PDT, a brand-new set of Field Research tasks focusing on Water-type Pokémon will become available.
So they mean June 2nd (Saturday) which kinda sucks because I still don't have Articuno and Saturdays is when my new research week starts :(
Also, I don't see any water types in my area lmao

Last edited:
Articuno is coming back, though I'm not sure when. The in-game announcement says June 2nd (Wednesday) which would actually be 2021 at the earliest lol.

So they mean June 2nd (Saturday) which kinda sucks because I still don't have Articuno and Saturdays is when my new research week starts :(
Also, I don't see any water types in my area lmao
I am very very ready for my Vaporeon quests! I have caught many water types, gathered candies, and held from evolving them in fodder evos.

I'm just hoping we see more water types in general. The lack of Pokestops in my area would make it very difficult to keep refreshing them, though I've also noticed that they only give out one particular task per day.

Trainers,

Adventurous new research is on tap during an exciting in-game celebration! Starting on May 24 at 1:00 P.M. PDT, unique Field Research will be available with some exciting rewards, including a Raid Battle appearance by Pokémon such as Aerodactyl.

Throughout the celebration, Rock-type Pokémon such as Geodude, Lileep, and Nosepass will appear more frequently in the wild. There are also incentives to trek around: your Buddy Pokémon will earn Candy 4× faster throughout the event! Plus, you’ll receive extra XP for spinning the Photo Discs at PokéStops or Gyms—up to 10 times the usual amount if this is your first time encountering a unique PokéStop or Gym!

Fortune favors the bold, Trainers, so join this adventure before it ends on June 5. Get up and GO!

—The Pokémon GO team
I finally got a Lileep.

They sprung this one on us, but I ain't complaining. Encounter rates are high and varied enough that I'm not gonna catch/evolve everything new in a single day and grow tired of it.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Oh great. I have no more ideal T'tar kids to go on with this. This is a case of something to meta-relevant. I'll be really, really pressed to find the best T'tar and have to accept not-so-perfect ones to my ranks soon, seeing how horrible my days were with last one. I'll have to prepare more pinaps, good balls, and a quick hand to do this. I already burnt out my candies to upgrade my T'tars.

Just hope it'll be pretty sunny on that day and I can find at least near perfect ones. I should be able to find a good one with my luck of finding 2 98% Mareeps before... hopefully.
Seriously though, I thought we were way far from the dreaded Fear of Evolving since the TMs come. But now exclusive move and barring use of TM on community event makes everyone lie under this FoE again. I also regret having burnt all my candies to max out few of my T'tars
You can take advantage of Adventure Week and walk Tyranitar as a buddy at 1.25 KM. Now you can earn more candies and really go all out for it!
Also, do Tyranitar Raids. Not like Latias or Ho-oh are top tier anyways.
At least Tyranitar is up there and after this Community Day will definetely become top tier.
Also, why does everyone say that Alolan-Exeggutor has less Attack than Kanto? Alolan has 105 Attack and 125 SpA, while Kanto has 95 and 125. So wouldn’t Alolan have more Attack, thus a higher CP and overall output?
Anything Kanto can do, Alolan can do better (except legacy Confusion)!

Will Golem be unsurped by Tyranitar’s Community Day?
Will Alolan-Eggegutor get exclusive access to Dragon Hammer?

Can Salamence be next as a Community Day? Dragon Rush for 3 bar moves!

Last edited:
You can take advantage of Adventure Week and walk Tyranitar as a buddy at 1.25 KM. Now you can earn more candies and really go all out for it!

Also, do Tyranitar Raids. Not like Latias or Ho-oh are top tier anyways.
At least Tyranitar is up there and after this Community Day will definetely become top tier.

Also, why does everyone say that Alolan-Exeggutor has less Attack than Kanto? Alolan has 105 Attack and 125 SpA, while Kanto has 95 and 125. So wouldn’t Alolan have more Attack, thus a higher CP and overall output?

Anything Kanto can do, Alolan can do better (except legacy Confusion)!
Its slower, thus it can have lower attack, but I havent done actual calcs yet

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Bc of how Speed factors in the CP formula, the 45 Base Speed of Exeggutor-A makes it have slightly less Atk. It's not terribly impactful since it's a better Grass-type than Exeggutor anyways.

Chanderule Smack Down's current stats in the game are identical to Rock Throw, and it's coded as a Fast Move. Unless that changes (would be pretty unprecedented - no Fast move has ever changed to Charge and vice-versa), we can safely assume that's what Niantic wants. To the English announcement's credit, they amended the message hours afterwards to say "Put away your Fast and Charge TMs away, Trainers!" or something of the sort.

Maybe I'll finally be able to get myself an Aero this week. Rock Types are incredibly rare here normally so I'm happy with this event.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)