Pokémon GO

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bit of a weird/dumb question: if I skip a day and don't do a research task thus breaking my streak, does it reset the counter or not (i.e. do I have to start from 0 days)?

Asking because Articuno comes out tomorrow but today is my 7th day. The impatient me is saying wait for Articuno (because I don't have one yet) but the OCD me is saying keep the streak alive.
You can claim your 7th day of research, get the 7th day stamp, but as long as you DON'T TOUCH THE BOX, DO NOT OPEN THE BOX, then the legendary will stay undetermined. Once you open the box the legendary is set.

Get 7th day
"Claim reward"=open box, legendary is set here
Click on legendary pokemon encounter

Afaik you can only "save" two unopened boxes, so you can't get to july and claim 8 of whatever that month is

Report says that Pokemon themselves extend Hou-ou to June 21st as cited by US site and their Twitter (I couldn't find the news in Japanese site). But the in-game notification and Niantic still say it's gone by 7th. Seriously, which one is correct? Regardless, I'm pissed that they make me torn in choosing Latios or Hou-ou. If they extend Hou-ou... I'll just be sad to know that I haven't caught any Latios that is past 2056 CP. I had better luck with two 94% Latias, but not this time because of this. And I still couldn't trust the masses, I once almost lost to a Hou-ou before another veteran I knew came.

I hate Niantic for fumbling over this. Some speculated they flipped the Hou-ou switch after panicking that their raid pass sale is going down, going ahead of TPC's plan.

Also, I'm pissed by the fact no one has found the Vaporeon Quest, probably meaning it doesn't exist; Evolve one Water gets you Seal and no one has found "Evolve 3+ Waters". Bah.
All my hoarded Water candies (even skipping Adventure week ones; 1 Vaporeon is more useful than 7 Ptera/Aeros) and this is what I got?

Last edited:
You can claim your 7th day of research, get the 7th day stamp, but as long as you DON'T TOUCH THE BOX, DO NOT OPEN THE BOX, then the legendary will stay undetermined. Once you open the box the legendary is set.

Get 7th day
"Claim reward"=open box, legendary is set here
Click on legendary pokemon encounter

Afaik you can only "save" two unopened boxes, so you can't get to july and claim 8 of whatever that month is
I actually tried that but it still gave me Zapdos the next day, though now that I think about it I might not have waited until 4pm PST or whatever time it was supposed to be...

I feel the need to remind that keeping the box unopened would disable you from getting reward of normal field researches, though. Well, if one has low Pokestop density, it doesn't matter much, but for someone pretty OCD in clearing quests....

well, did some raids, only 1 ho-oh the entire day, latios everywhere else, so I do hope they extend it because it was 1/10 raids today, did spend a pass on an EX gym on a sudowoodo, and got a 100%er (boosted) as well as a 98% Jynx (if Rayquaza come backs she is queen of dps) from a quest, also sitting on an Absol encounter after completing it on an omanyte (don't ask how I excellent curved that), so not a completely wasted day, might max out that sudowoodo and throw it at Ho-oh for fun.

Had to pick it up from Eng site, but anyway.... https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/waterfestival2018/

Trainers,

It’s time to make a splash! Our Water Festival returns June 7 at 1:00 p.m. PDT, with Water-type Pokémon such as Magikarp and Wailmer appearing more frequently in the wild. Some lucky Trainers may even encounter a rare Shiny Shellder for the very first time during the event! Plus, enjoy Field Research tasks highlighting Water-type Pokémon until June 21 at 1:00 p.m. PDT.

Alongside increased appearance of Water-type Pokémon appearing all over the world, you’ll be able to earn 3× Stardust for catching Water-type Pokémon. Plus, 2 km Eggs will hatch exciting Pokémon such as Totodile, Mudkip, and Corphish—earn Double Candy and Stardust for every Egg hatched!

Raid Battles will also feature powerful Water-type Pokémon for the duration of the celebration, including the exciting return of the Legendary Pokémon Kyogre. And, if you challenge Kyogre during the event and come out victorious, there is a chance you’ll encounter its Shiny form!

So Trainers, dive on in to this water-focused event before it ends on June 21!
—The Pokémon GO team
NAIIICEEE!! Lord Kyogre again! About time I have more of them, since I only had two good ones.
Also, Water-type raids... Vaporeon when though, I want to try my CD Venusaurs now.

And time to use my stashed incubators. Buying bunches of sale boxes with my gym coins granted me like, 33 incubators to use. This is exciting.
... except that I have a lot to draw this month too.

Last edited:
Time to get my first Kyogre (hopefully), as well as Totodile and Swampert. Oh, and Wailord, finally getting close to 400 candies.

This event is better then the rock event, spawn wise, found every water type already except lapras, and a few evos rock event a few things never spawned at all (Onix, Aero, Shuckle, Rhyhorn)

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My pokeball count has drastically dropped in this event and need to go by my gold gym pokestops and more pokestops more often it seems while my potions and revives seem to continue to climb out of control until I toss most of them away. Only new shiny I got lately was a shellder and got a few kabutos on the last day of the rock event. I still have yet to catch a shiny raid boss though I continue to prioritize for better IVs than anything. Kyogre is a nice welcome back though I haven't been able to join any groups to raid it lately as I hope to find more time this coming week. Focus lately has been trying to flip more gyms from silver to gold especially in areas which are along various routes I may take when walking or running around.

My revive count has dropped dramatically, Kyogre eats through your squad, always get LESS revives then I need, or none at all, at least I got back to back shinies today, so there is now less need to go do 3-4 a day, especially with grabbing a 96 the previous day.

Went 0-2 for Kyogre over the weekend, and man do I hate Totodile now. Runs away after one failed capture every single time smh.

Remember, prepare as many greater balls and pinaps. Larvitar CD will be a very great thing due to its great impact to the meta.
Sadly, because of lack of coins, I couldn't go higher in my bag space as of now. But I suppose 500 balls and 150 pinaps should be good to go already.

On another note, today's Mewtwo sucks, but at least I got 2 pinapped Kyogre. The hidden consecutive throw bonus really helps. I used to have half of Kyogres running away after 10 Golden Berry Curved Excellents, but now I even dared to pinap them without losing it (only once I resorted to golden berry on last ball and caught it).
It just needs to be researched on what affects it; I have my own unconfirmed myth that the consecutive bonus is gone if the ball didn't hit it.

My revive count has dropped dramatically, Kyogre eats through your squad, always get LESS revives then I need, or none at all, at least I got back to back shinies today, so there is now less need to go do 3-4 a day, especially with grabbing a 96 the previous day.
#metoo

Currently got a dilemma of whether to upgrade my bag space or pokemon storage space ready for CD as I've only got enough coins for just one option. Bag space is sitting at 398/450 and pokemon space is at 379/450 at present.

Any opinions?

Currently got a dilemma of whether to upgrade my bag space or pokemon storage space ready for CD as I've only got enough coins for just one option. Bag space is sitting at 398/450 and pokemon space is at 379/450 at present.

Any opinions?
Definitely Pokemon space. The better community day goes, the more Slots you fill up, whereas the captures will at worst cause your bag inflation to slow and at best eat through a lot of stockpiled Balls and Berries.

So I have a work commitment on Saturday that means I can only participate in the first hour of Community Day. Oops. Hopefully I catch a shiny viable Larvitar in that hour. I already have the required candy to fully evolve it so fingers crossed.

Bag space, 70 is enough for CD (you will be deleting a lot of Larvitar in the process anyways), and you can always make more room for Pokémon (delete any Golduck, Pidgeotto, Primape-alike)

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Caught 18 Larvitar shinies. Thank you 2 hour extension to Community Day. Two of them were 82+ IVs and I evolved one to Ttar (I ran out of time for the second).

My best IV catch during the event was a 14/14/13. Also had a 14/14/14 Larvitar from before the event which I evolved to Ttar during the event.

Also caught a Kyogre and Absol using my two free raid passes.

Other than the intense lag, that was a great Community Day for me. That server stress was intense though - had a friend who couldn't log in for about 45 min

Last edited:
Arceus help me.

The first few hours were complete hell. I think the time I remembered that it lagged so horribly like that was June-August 2016. That horrible flashback....
I couldn't even properly throw because of the lags, it's horribly frustrating. I could've caught so many things and not only snatch many bois, I could've also farmed a lot of dusts, but I couldn't at all and my Quick Draw technique is useless against server issues like this. I don't know how many lured tars I have missed due to the game failing even just to get to the catch screen.
I also noticed due to so many server issues, there's this "hanging in catch screen issue" where Pokeball with the mon inside it is just stuck there, giving neither "Pokemon broke out" or "caught". This would've happened a lot to me had I not used Quick Draw that enabled me to click Escape from this stuck screen, and probably has happened a lot to the others.

Well, in the end, as usual I couldn't find outstanding shiny stuff, although at least I got few great contenders. One Ttar at 13/14/14 is already sitting at 3300+ CP, beating my standardised Ttars.
Still, now I doubt its uses though. Rock attacker are probably coming close in Gen4. Rhyperior would get this too, either naturally or through its own CDay. Dark Ttar is at least very useful across generations until at least 2 years. I can't justify powering up Rock Ttar before there's reason to, and the only reason I can find is them rerunning Trio Birbs with shiny.

At least I was prepared with tonic water that comes to use with the time extension.
I have also exhausted my berries. I'll have to replenish this +500 Bag space after burning through that many items.

Last edited:
Managed to nab a 14/14/14 shiny Larvitar within the first 5 minutes of the event starting. Also had partly cloudy weather for the first 2 hours of the event which allowed me to catch several other Larvitar with above 90% IVs. Overall a really satisfying Community Day for me.

Also not sure if it's just me but it seems like the catch rates of all spawns were boosted?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)