Pokémon GO

PuP does raise the attack though if Im not mistaken
True, but the concept is still the same: a move with a 100% chance of triggering its secondary effect. No move has a secondary effect in GO, regardless of the "flavour" it has in the main game. I'm just not sure why it was a shock to anybody that Power-Up Punch got the same treatment.

• Draining Kiss doesn't do what its name says it should be able to do, like it does in the main games.
  • Snarl/Low Sweep/Struggle Bug don't reduce your foe's Attack.
  • Close Combat doesn't decrease your Defense.
  • Overheat/Draco Meteor/Psycho Boost don't reduce your Attack.
  • Dynamic Punch doesn't cause confusion.
  • Zap Cannon doesn't cause paralysis.
  • Brave Bird/Wild Charge don't cause you to lose HP.
  • Outrage doesn't lock you into that move.
  • Hyper Beam/Frenzy Plant/Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon don't require recharge.
  • Frost Breath doesn't cause a critical hit.
  • Dragon Tail doesn't cause your foe to switch.
  • Fury Cutter/Brine's power stay the same.
  • Smack Down doesn't affect your foes' Ground resistances.

The only secondary effects they've added are for Ominous Wind, Silver Wind and Ancient Power, which only offer a boost in PvP. (oh and Transform, which is Ditto's entire reason to exist)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Last edited:
Power-Up Punch DOES have an effect in Go. It does the exact same thing as the main games - when used, it gives you a guaranteed stat increase in Attack, and the more you use it, the more stages you get (like the main games). It's been like that since day 1. The issue being that it's only implemented in PvP mode. Here's a vid showcasing what a Medicham (without Huge Power) does vs the AI when it has PuP. It can't do this normally lol.
Thats what I meant, thanks

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What I meant was that Power-up Punch has a name that alludes much, much stronger to a secondary effect than other moves do. If you've never played another Pokémon game, would you expect that Hyper Beam needs a recharge turn, that Brave Bird has recoil, or even that Draining Kiss lets your Pokémon absorb some of the HP drained from the opponent? They sound like generic move names, and the secondary effects are not readily apparent from the name alone. In the case of Power-up Punch, however, the "power-up" bit of the name suggests an additional effect. It's a pleasant surprise to see this being implemented in the game, even if only to a limited degree, as it would look rather stupid without it.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'll be participating in tomorrow's lunch hour legendary raid as I'm expecting all Dialga between 12pm & 1pm my time. Hopefully this works out and shall be curious how many of these raids we can complete within one hour.

In conclusion of this recent battle event, I was able to flip 5 more gyms to gold which is a relief as some of these gyms I don't want to have to keep going out of my way just to sustain them.

How was Legendary Lunch Hour for you guys?

I completed two raids, as the group I randomly met at one gym was going the opposite direction of where my work area is. For me, one hour isn't enough for lunch AND a Pokemon event.

It was mentioned that it was a big experiment. I wonder what Niantic was testing and what we might see in the future. Exclusive moves? Limited release of certain Legendaries?

Expert Evan

My group completed 6 raids during the legendary lunch hour, could've been 7 but a tier 2 alolan exeggutor had pre-spawned an egg at one of the gyms on our route before 11:50. It was a great experience, certainly a learning one.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
My group completed 6 raids during the legendary lunch hour, could've been 7 but a tier 2 alolan exeggutor had pre-spawned an egg at one of the gyms on our route before 11:50. It was a great experience, certainly a learning one.
I’m really proud of you. It takes coordination, and a huge rush to complete these in such a large quantity during a short 1 hour.

For this task I award you this!
*Suddenly, a Medal appears!*

Since I’m suspended, please tell me if Dialga is great or simply alright compared to Dragonite and Rayquaza.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
DPS wise it's above everything except Palkia and Rayquaza. With its resistances it is better than those though. Draco sucks. It's a "just power up Rayquaza for pure DPS" or "wait for a sig move" type of deal.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Equinox 2019 Event.

From March 19 to March 26.

Honestly nothing major. Grass-types are the focus of the event, as they will spawn more, be in raids, and be the focus of Field Research.

Lunatone and Solrock will switch hemispheres at the start of the event.

2 new moves: Acid Spray and Leaf Tornado which will have the following distribution:

Acid Spray: Arbok, Victreebel, Tentacruel, Muk, Alolan Muk, Quagsire, Qwilfish, Octillery, and Swalot
Leaf Tornado: Victreebel, Shiftry, and Tropius

Presumably Acid Spray lowers Def in PvP, whereas Leaf Tornado is a mystery we will have to see (no accuracy modifiers in Go).

Expert Evan

If I saw a youtube video correctly, 2 level 40 best friend players were able to duo Rayquaza with plenty of time left so I may attempt to do so next opportunity possible hoping I don't get these glitchy network errors that have been pestering me as of lately.

In 4 more days equivalently I should become best friends with Fluke so it's always great when they add up, and I still would exchange gifts to even best friends well over 100 kilometers away for possible 7k eggs and trading distance purposes.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
I duo'd a Windy Weather Boosted Ray with Team 1 of: 3 Level 40 Mamoswine and 3 Level 35 Mamoswine and Team 2 of: 3 Level 40 Ray and 3 Level 40 Dragonite. Just 12 mons and 95 seconds remaining. That is a lot of time. Definitely on the easier side of things (in comparison to the Dialga duo) and even level 30 Mamo do pretty well. A relobby is mandatory (you might have to potentially do 2), but otherwise I would recommend doing so for maximum amount of damage balls and raid rewards. Here's a list of Mamo breakpoints to hit if anyone cares enough.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
DPS wise it's above everything except Palkia and Rayquaza. With its resistances it is better than those though. Draco sucks. It's a "just power up Rayquaza for pure DPS" or "wait for a sig move" type of deal.
So Palkia is good? I thought people said it wasn’t? Is it better than Dragonite?
What are the top 3 dragons up to Gen 4?
1. Garchomp
2. Rayquaza
3. Dialga? Or Palkia? Or Dragonite?
4. Latios? Giratina? (Other form)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Swap Ray with Chomp and solely Palkia / Dialga at #3 with the rest at #4 and that's accurate. Dialga shoots up if resistances are a factor. Draco Meteor is the biggest reason these Pokémon are worse than the Outrage Pseudos in practice because they can't launch Dracos usually - if they launch Dracos on par with Outrage then they're better (in which case Garchomp drops lower because of its lower Atk stat).

Overall they're pretty interchangeable but if we're talking usability and efficiency Ray still wins, though Garchomp is a better alternative instead of Dragonite (it's just not released) and Mence could get Outrage in its Community Day which beats out both Chomp and Dnite. If the big legends get Outrage they shoot up over the pseudos, of course.

Not mentioned: Giratina is solely a TDO mon and only has a place in PvP. Flygon, Altaria, Kingdra are not competitive for this game (but are good in PvP).

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Swap Ray with Chomp and solely Palkia / Dialga at #3 with the rest at #4 and that's accurate. Dialga shoots up if resistances are a factor. Draco Meteor is the biggest reason these Pokémon are worse than the Outrage Pseudos in practice because they can't launch Dracos usually - if they launch Dracos on par with Outrage then they're better (in which case Garchomp drops lower because of its lower Atk stat).

Overall they're pretty interchangeable but if we're talking usability and efficiency Ray still wins, though Garchomp is a better alternative instead of Dragonite (it's just not released) and Mence could get Outrage in its Community Day which beats out both Chomp and Dnite. If the big legends get Outrage they shoot up over the pseudos, of course.

Not mentioned: Giratina is solely a TDO mon and only has a place in PvP. Flygon, Altaria, Kingdra are not competitive for this game (but are good in PvP).
So Dragonite is #4.
I meant the Giratina Offense form yet to be released. The fact it has equal offense stats helps it make up for the fact Dragonite and Garchomp have 1 good stat but average at best SpA. This translates into a higher Atk for Giratina’s Offense form.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
While partly true, unfortunately Giratina-O gets gutted by the 9% nerf and ends with a less than optimal Attack stat of 225~ (iirc) and coupled with its moveset means that it's only good as a TDO option and not an offensive option.

Expert Evan

I was able to duo rayquaza this morning but on my 2nd attempt as I wasn't prepared to have a 3rd team and it recommended weak fairy pokemon and stuff that wasn't super effective against it and timed out, 2nd time I was more prepared and had about 68 seconds left on the clock. Be prepared to have 3 different teams ready (or max revive your best team if you have time and strong wifi) and have plenty of revives and max revives on hand. Oh that rayquaza I was facing had outrage and probably the dragon fast move too.

Hi, I have a question PvP based
Is there any community (even here on Smogon) that hosts big tournaments on remote?
I'm lucky enough to live in a big city where there are many chances to play tournaments (TSR and generic) on live, but a friend of mine, who lives in a far little city, asked me because he wants to compete with better players, so this site was the first thing that came in my mind in regard.
Would anyone direct me to what I'm looking for, if there's anything like that existing, please?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Unfortunately, there is not. I'm sure you know of TheSilphArena which is the sister sub to TSR that focuses on the PvP aspect. They have their monthly cups and other resources that you / your friend could use to take advantage of it. Ultimately, the best way to get involved in PvP is to ask on the local city Discord / WhatsApp / Telegram / etc.; there needs to be a community for your friend to take advantage of in some capacity, and looking around (by either asking on that sister sub or doing a bit of digging) is the best chance you have.

Bear in mind this is easier said than done given PvP is more niche and a smaller version of the community. The other options would be to either go to a larger city with a bigger community or wait for match-based (ladder) PvP to be a thing Niantic codes in.

Just a question, why do defensive Pokemon have significantly lower max CP than offensive Pokemon? I just noticed that Umbreon's max CP is just 2137 while Flareon and Espeon exceed 3000 CP. Steelix, a defensive behemoth (2414 max CP), has its max CP soundly beaten by Rhydon (3179). I assume the reason for this is that defensive Pokemon may be impossible to break with high CP, though maybe I'm wrong. Is there a formula for this? I'm not complaining, just curious.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Yes, there is a CP Formula that Niantic uses to implement the Attack, Defense, and Stamina (and, with all of these added up, CP) scores of Pokémon. These all come from the main games. To make a long story short, the Attack stat is always overinflated / overweighted which results in Pokémon with lower Attack values to struggle to get a high CP score (aside from the ones you mentioned, the most relevant example is Shuckle) while Pokémon with good Attack values get an overinflated CP value.

Since CP is nothing short of a numerical thing, defensive Pokémon having low CPs is actually incredibly useful because it overinflates their stats. They decay less when you place them to defend gyms (while still retaining their awesome defenses), and they also have incredible niches / use in PvP because they tend to be higher level than other things.

It's been confirmed that Sceptile is getting Frenzy Plant during Community Day.

Sceptile is now set to have the second highest Grass-type DPS in the game, slightly behind Grass Knot Roserade, just ahead of GK Breloom.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Giratina is coming back!

Trainers,

You did your team leaders proud back when you battled Giratina in its Altered Forme. However, there are still many mysteries to be unlocked about the Renegade Pokémon. Giratina has reemerged from the Distortion World to renew and transform. Starting March 28, Altered Forme Giratina will return to raids until April 2, when it will transform into Origin Forme to keep testing Trainers’ strength until April 29.

Date + Time

Giratina (Altered Forme): Thursday, Mar. 28, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7) to Tuesday, Apr. 2, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)
Giratina (Origin Forme): Tuesday, Apr. 2, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7) to Monday, Apr. 29, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)
Start prepping your teams to take on this Ghost- and Dragon-type Legendary Pokémon originally discovered in the Sinnoh region. Stay safe, and happy exploring!

—The Pokémon GO team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)