Pokémon GO

737373elj

Banned deucer.
For the record, I don’t have Garchomp, just 80 Gible Candy.
I want to walk my Gible but I’m showing off my shiny Carvhana xD

Eh, I never get people who show off their stuffs. You are just wasting your candy-farming slot to make people think you're a braggart. Then again my gaming mindset is often too utilitarian and I grow up in where humility is important.
I'm here dedicating my partner slot for Shieldon for PvP (I need whopping +340 candies) and once I'm done, either Gible or continuing to build Blissey infrastructure again.

This said I don't know if I should ever go with Gible, since I'm sure the time he's improved in moveset will be during CD where I'd get a lot of candies anyway, and I've mastered quick throw enough. While Garchomp as of now is scrap when you have Groudon and Rayquaza in either type.

Last edited:

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Garchomp is actually very good and the second-best Ground-type Attacker in PoGo (Pokemon GO), but because he’s so rare few have him.
And I don’t play PvP competitively, it’s my mother who really plays. She has a Bastiodon.
I only have one Blissey, but I only ever support gyms (my mother is the one who goes in the first slot) and I have too many Chansey to count.
Also, I only start farming when I have a good IV Pokemon. I’m the sort who searches for high IV Pokemon to use on raids for maximum damage output. So I just show random shinies while waiting for a good Pokemon to show up.

Does anyone mind adding me as a friend for the Jirachi quest?

Code is 7798 8727 5017

Just to contribute to actual conversation, I love Eevee but I'm a bit peeved that it's the quest reward for the next two months, that seems really excessive. Especially since I never got a Groudon from the last batch, meaning I've missed my chance with him again.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Alolan Vulpix, Alolan Sandshrew, Absol and Mawile are live in the wild as part of the regional week, for unknown reasons. Regionals are also in the wild at a reduced capacity in addition to being in eggs. Increased spawns for the likes of Dratini, Clamperl, Feebas, Beldum and Onix have also been reported.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Alolan Vulpix, Alolan Sandshrew, Absol and Mawile are live in the wild as part of the regional week, for unknown reasons. Regionals are also in the wild at a reduced capacity in addition to being in eggs. Increased spawns for the likes of Dratini, Clamperl, Feebas, Beldum and Onix have also been reported.
I live in the tropics, so less Corsola, but more Johto Pokemon... same spawn rate?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
For now, we know Unova's release next week will at minimum include Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Patrat, Lillipup and Klink, with the latter 3 having their shiny forms debuting. Could we expect to see more or would that be a good limited release? I'm thinking the likes of Pidove and Purrloin could also be included, and potentially Munna or the 3 Elemental Monkeys.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
For now, we know Unova's release next week will at minimum include Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Patrat, Lillipup and Klink, with the latter 3 having their shiny forms debuting. Could we expect to see more or would that be a good limited release? I'm thinking the likes of Pidove and Purrloin could also be included, and potentially Munna or the 3 Elemental Monkeys.
I think it’ll be a limited release, but if not, then maybe Woobat?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Alright everyone, it's that time of the year. The new generational release is imminent in the next few days, and we have data from the GAME_MASTER. Let's dive in:

Code:
Pokémon currently needing the Unova Stone:

Pansage
Pansear
Panpour
Munna
Minccino
Eelektrik
Lampent
Basically anything that evolves with a stone that's not coded in the game (Sun Stone for Cottonee and Petilil).

Code:
New 400 candy evolution:

Volcarona
Should surprise no one - Volcarona is a very special Pokémon in Unova with an incredibly high level evolution.

All Gen V Pokémon movepools

Important PvE stuff to be listed below:

Victini is not worth discussing.

Excadrill gets Mud Slap / Drill Run, which means it is superior to Groudon. However, it is inferior to Landorus-Therian when it releases, the king of Ground-types which gets Mud Shot / Earth Power.

Conkeldurr dethrones Machamp with the coveted Counter / Dynamic Punch moveset.

Archeops is garbage as expected of its Defeatist ability. Wing Attack / Quick Attack as Fast Moves and Dragon Claw / Ancient Power / Crunch as Charge Moves. Yuck.

Darmanitan gets Fire Fang / Overheat in both of its formes and Chandelure gets Fire Spin / Overheat, which makes them excellent Fire-types dethroned by Reshiram with its Fire Fang / Overheat moveset.

To add to the above, Volcarona also joins the fray as an excellent Fire-type with Fire Spin / Overheat. However, its biggest value comes from its Bug Bite / Bug Buzz moveset, which makes it the clear #1 king of Bug-types.

Haxorus gets Dragon Tail / Dragon Claw and no Outrage, which is unfortunate given it has to compete in a VERY crowded group of Dragon-types.

Hydreigon receives a good Dark-type movepool (Bite / Dark Pulse) and a mediocre Dragon moveset (Dragon Breath / Dragon Pulse). Should be king of Dark-types until Darkrai arrives and kills it off.

Terrakion receives Smack Down / Rock Slide, an excellent moveset befitting of a Rock-type - unfortunately for it, Rampardos exists. Keldeo gets an atrocious movepool with no Water Fast Move. Cobalion and Virizion are not worth discussing, though the latter lacks a Grass Fast Move. All are completely outclassed by Conkeldurr as Fighting-types.

Tornadus receives Air Slash / Hurricane as a moveset in both of its formes - Moltres is still better, though.

Thundurus unfortunately is a BIG victim of a shafted movepool - while it was blessed with Thunder Shock as a Fast Move, Thunder and Thunder Punch are NOT good Charge Moves. Thundurus-Therian loses its potential #1 Electric throne to Zekrom, which has Charge Beam / Wild Charge at its disposal.

Reshiram and Zekrom's Dragon movesets are Dragon Breath / Draco Meteor and Dragon Breath / Outrage respectively. While they are not bad, Rayquaza is still better.

Now, the big daddy: Regular Kyurem is not relevant for PvE with a very mediocre moveset in both the Dragon- and Ice-type categories. However, Kyurem-Black won the lottery with access to Dragon Tail / Outrage - neutrally, it is #1 as it outputs the most damage in the game and it is the best Dragon-type that makes Rayquaza look weak. As an Ice-type, Dragon Tail / Blizzard is still a ridiculous moveset, but Mamoswine outputs a bit more damage if I'm not mistaken. While Kyurem-White has the same stats as Kyurem-Black, it still retains Blizzard (rather than Ice Beam) and is stuck with Dragon Breath / Dragon Pulse, so it is outright inferior to its counterpart.

Meloetta is not worth anything in either of its formes.

Genesect gets a different Charge Move based on its different Drives, but it's still not relevant.
____

And that will do it for that part. I can probably list B tier alternatives in Unova and PvE with a bit more time / research but this will do for now. To remind everyone, Niantic sticks with these movesets most of the time (as we saw with Gen 3 and Gen 4 when they were datamined), but things CAN change (like what happened with Giratina-O).

Last edited:

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Discussion time!

Alright everyone, it's that time of the year. The new generational release is imminent in the next few days, and we have data from the GAME_MASTER. Let's dive in:

Code:

Pansage
Pansear
Panpour
Munna
Minccino
Eelektrik
Lampent
Basically anything that evolves with a stone that's not coded in the game (Sun Stone for Cottonee and Petilil).
Niantic if you do a Kalos Stone I’ll stop playing the game are you that stressed for ways to implement all the other stones???

Hydreigon receives a good Dark-type movepool (Bite / Dark Pulse) and a mediocre Dragon moveset (Dragon Breath / Dragon Pulse). Should be king of Dark-types until Darkrai arrives and kills it off.
What about Ttar?

Now, the big daddy: Regular Kyurem is not relevant for PvE with a very mediocre moveset in both the Dragon- and Ice-type categories. However, Kyurem-Black won the lottery with access to Dragon Tail / Outrage - neutrally, it is #1 as it outputs the most damage in the game and it is the best Dragon-type that makes Rayquaza look weak. As an Ice-type, Dragon Tail / Blizzard is still a ridiculous moveset, but Mamoswine outputs a bit more damage if I'm not mistaken. While Kyurem-White has the same stats as Kyurem-Black, it still retains Blizzard (rather than Ice Beam) and is stuck with Dragon Breath / Dragon Pulse, so it is outright inferior to its counterpart.
Sad: I’ve always preferred Kyurem-White. All the same, I was slightly surprised Rayquaza is not outclassed. But Mega Rayquaza will murder them all.

I’ll need to see all the movepools for my opinions on the Pokemon. Any idea what Pokemon will be viable in pvp?

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'll certainly be looking forward to adding excadrill and conkeldurr when available as having a multi-bar ground move is nice to have, was hoping gible community day in the future should lead to earth power not sure how that would impact. So far as kyurem dark, I'm not sure when that will ever become available as I have yet to power up any of the new rayquaza caught as I'm still doing special trades daily to see if I get a lucky rayquaza and still have some shiny rayquaza I'm reserving for lucky friend trades as well.

Code:

Pansage
Pansear
Panpour
Munna
Minccino
Eelektrik
Lampent

Code:
New 400 candy evolution:

Volcarona
Should surprise no one - Volcarona is a very special Pokémon in Unova with an incredibly high level evolution.

All Gen V Pokémon movepools

Important PvE stuff to be listed below:

Victini is not worth discussing.

Excadrill gets Mud Slap / Drill Run, which means it is superior to Groudon. However, it is inferior to Landorus-Therian when it releases, the king of Ground-types which gets Mud Shot / Earth Power.

Conkeldurr dethrones Machamp with the coveted Counter / Dynamic Punch moveset.

Archeops is garbage as expected of its Defeatist ability. Wing Attack / Quick Attack as Fast Moves and Dragon Claw / Ancient Power / Crunch as Charge Moves. Yuck.

Darmanitan gets Fire Fang / Overheat in both of its formes and Chandelure gets Fire Spin / Overheat, which makes them excellent Fire-types dethroned by Reshiram with its Fire Fang / Overheat moveset.

To add to the above, Volcarona also joins the fray as an excellent Fire-type with Fire Spin / Overheat. However, its biggest value comes from its Bug Bite / Bug Buzz moveset, which makes it the clear #1 king of Bug-types.

Haxorus gets Dragon Tail / Dragon Claw and no Outrage, which is unfortunate given it has to compete in a VERY crowded group of Dragon-types.

Terrakion receives Smack Down / Rock Slide, an excellent moveset befitting of a Rock-type - unfortunately for it, Rampardos exists. Keldeo gets an atrocious movepool with no Water Fast Move. Cobalion and Virizion are not worth discussing, though the latter lacks a Grass Fast Move. All are completely outclassed by Conkeldurr as Fighting-types.

Tornadus receives Air Slash / Hurricane as a moveset in both of its formes - Moltres is still better, though.

Thundurus unfortunately is a BIG victim of a shafted movepool - while it was blessed with Thunder Shock as a Fast Move, Thunder and Thunder Punch are NOT good Charge Moves. Thundurus-Therian loses its potential #1 Electric throne to Zekrom, which has Charge Beam / Wild Charge at its disposal.

Reshiram and Zekrom's Dragon movesets are Dragon Breath / Draco Meteor and Dragon Breath / Outrage respectively. While they are not bad, Rayquaza is still better.

Meloetta is not worth anything in either of its formes.

Genesect gets a different Charge Move based on its different Drives, but it's still not relevant.
____

And that will do it for that part. I can probably list B tier alternatives in Unova and PvE with a bit more time / research but this will do for now. To remind everyone, Niantic sticks with these movesets most of the time (as we saw with Gen 3 and Gen 4 when they were datamined), but things CAN change (like what happened with Giratina-O).
For defense, some of the few notable or potentially decent ones are Musharna, Scrafty, Cofagrigus, Reuniclus, Amoonguss, Alomomola, Cryogonal, Golurk, Bouffalant, and anything else that just has a huge CP.

Most of their bulk is good but nothing on the level of the current elite lards. They can at least take some hits well and most have decent counter coverage.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
What about Ttar?

Sad: I’ve always preferred Kyurem-White. All the same, I was slightly surprised Rayquaza is not outclassed. But Mega Rayquaza will murder them all.

I’ll need to see all the movepools for my opinions on the Pokemon. Any idea what Pokemon will be viable in pvp?
It's in my post, but here's all the movepools for Gen V. Ctrl + F what you want to find and go from there!

Ttar's problem in PvE is Crunch. It's not a good move and if it had something like Foul Play it would reign supreme. Even Dark Pulse would be an improvement.

Kyu-W is still notable for being a PvP god in Master, and understating its Atk stat despite those mediocre moves in PvE would be undermining it - it's still really good. Ray should be better than it bc Dragon Pulse is doo doo but since Kyu-B exists, I wouldn't be too remiss to say Ray needs to watch its back.

Speaking of PvP, Scrafty is the biggest winner from Unova with a perfect combination of moveset, stats, and CP for the Great League. Here's some other notable Pokémon to watch for in PvP: Serperior (with Frenzy Plant), Emolga, Stunfisk, Jellicent, Stoutland, Swoobat, Seismitoad, Crustle, Carracosta, Mandibuzz, and Ferrothorn. To a lesser degree, things like Victini, Gothitelle and Musharna put in work too.
I'll certainly be looking forward to adding excadrill and conkeldurr when available as having a multi-bar ground move is nice to have, was hoping gible community day in the future should lead to earth power not sure how that would impact. So far as kyurem dark, I'm not sure when that will ever become available as I have yet to power up any of the new rayquaza caught as I'm still doing special trades daily to see if I get a lucky rayquaza and still have some shiny rayquaza I'm reserving for lucky friend trades as well.
What Garchomp has over any Ground-type at present is that triple resist to Electric, which means it'll live far longer than any other alternative (Groudon and Excadrill double resist Electric and Landorus just has a single resist due to its Flying-type). Earth Power Chomp should still be really high up there, especially given it is cheaper to power-up than its Legendary alternatives, but Landorus-Therian DOES have a better Atk stat so will output more DPS over time.

Ray should be in a good position for now - we have 0 idea how to even get the Kyurem formes or when they'll come, despite their enormous power. Niantic has opted to apply the generic 9% nerf to them for now, so it remains to be seen how their performance might be impacted down the line should Niantic decide to nerf them further.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Edit: Just saw you beat me to it 737373elj

All the talk about Rayquaza, Garchomp, etc. goes out the window:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pokemo...date-generation-5-pve-winners-and-losers/amp/

We will need to wait for Megas and Primals to enable Groudon to return as the very best, but for now we have Kyurem-Black to save our Rare Candies and Stardust for.

The fact they loaded up all of Gen 5 says that they won’t release it as sparsely spread out as the prior generations.
For starters they are releasing Gen 5 in September when Gen 3-4 were released in October starting with the ghosts.

I am excited at how they are going to change the meta.

The article even states that there is a Gen 5 Power Creep.

This means that overall many will remain top dog:

Ice > Dragon Moves but Kyurem-Black has the Dragon moves anyways for Palkia, and Ice for Ray, Garchomp, etc.

Zekrom/Thundurus won’t be challenged until Xurkitree, Reshiram won’t be challenged until Primal Groudon, etc.

It seems like the new Gen 5 top dogs will be outclassing our current top dogs by a large margin.

But don’t count out Gen 4 yet, we still have Darkrai, and possibly Shayman-Sky forme for the Seed Flare exclusive move.

Can’t wait!

WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT MELOETTA(PIROUETTE) IS A GOOD NORMAL-TYPE IN THE GAME???
Yes, it is. It can still hit decently hard in PoGo with Quick Attack + Hyper Beam, I think that’s what it gets. Since normal types can’t hit anything super-effectively it’s not going to be the optimal attacker most of the time but it’s at least a decent generalist since most types don’t resist it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)