Pokémon GO

Caught my 108 Pokémon and now just need 3 more new Poké Stops. Actually raining hard out there I can’t even go outside smh

EDIT: All done. 8 new Poké Stops and the 108 Pokémon. Also managed to grab a Giratina even though it’s trash at 84.4%

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Then there's Adventure Sync which will save you battery as it hatches eggs and walks your buddy in the background, with some goals and a record of your goals per week.
This is a welcome addition. It's turning into the part of the year when temperatures of 0*C and rain make it pretty unappealing to walk around with your smartphone open. As a result, I only tend to play when on campus during winter, spinning Pokéstops and catching Pokémon I can reach from inside buildings. That means hatching even 2 km eggs can take weeks. Having a way to record the distance I walk with my raincoat on, hood up and hands deeply planted in my warm pockets would be great.

This is a welcome addition. It's turning into the part of the year when temperatures of 0*C and rain make it pretty unappealing to walk around with your smartphone open. As a result, I only tend to play when on campus during winter, spinning Pokéstops and catching Pokémon I can reach from inside buildings. That means hatching even 2 km eggs can take weeks. Having a way to record the distance I walk with my raincoat on, hood up and hands deeply planted in my warm pockets would be great.
It's also nice for when I want to walk around campus and not have my head down staring at the screen. It's going to be nice to walk around normally without the need to pull out my phone so the distance is recorded.

Now that Lick / Psychic Gengar is confirmed, how will this affect the meta? I assume everyone will change their Gengar to Lick / Shadow Ball once the event is over. IIRC, the best mons for DPS right now are:

1. Rayquaza (Dragon Tail / Outrage)
2. Mewtwo (Confusion / Shadow Ball)
3. Metagross (Bullet Punch / Meteor Mash)
4. Gengar (Shadow Claw / Shadow Ball)
5. idk

Will Lick / SB be better than SC / SB? I don't really know how it works but in any case this is great for people like me whose best Gengars are Hex / Shadow Ball.

I'm TOLD that Lick is better than Shadow Claw, but I don't know if that's for damage, gauge, or both overall or what. Also curious if Gengar can elevate much given its fragility is the main issue with it.

Shadow claw has slightly higher dps, but lick's dps is basically comparable, and it has way higher eps, which means more frequent shadow balls, which results in overall higher dps. It's also fat easier to dodge with, which the frail gengar really appreciates. Superior move to shadow claw

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lick is supposed to have better EPS and would be situational to use as that alone would get me out to the Gengar day raids. Of course I'd use a charged TM to change Psychic over to Shadow Ball that's a given.

I'm at 90 friends already and can be tedious at times, about 20+ of them now best friends, and a few of you here may join those ranks within the next 9-14 days. While the blue halo is nice to indicate whom has either received gifts, gray arrows to indicate whom I had sent gifts to this day, and ability to sort by whom has sent me gifts, it would be nice to also sort by whom is ready to receive a gift as it's a pain to go through each uncertain friend to see whether or not there's a gift that needs to be sent. I've also had to remove numerous friends that have been inactive so I wouldn't have to tap onto them each day.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Lick is only useful situationally. Shadow Claw is better in most cases because you hit breakpoints easier, and Gengar is frail as hell. If Lick gives you an extra Shadow Ball, it is better. If you still face that Confusion Mewtwo, and you only get 2 Shadow Balls off, Shadow Claw is still superior. Ultimately, it will come down to the matchup and one isn't strictly superior to the other. It's a similar case with Psycho Cut / Confusion on Mewtwo and Karate Chop / Counter on Machamp.

All the sites and pages I read about only compare Lick with Shadow Claw. I don't personally have a Shadow Claw Gengar, so I'm wondering: how would Lick compare to Hex, Gengar's current Ghost fast move?

If Lick is comparable to such a legacy moveset, I'm sure it would be better than its current set.
I have never used the current ones and I do have only few old Shadow Claws.

Anyway, will it be usable? I know that we have a lot of upcoming Psychic legendaries, but will Gengar be useful overall when it can get 3HKOed by M2's Confusion? How would it compare to other Ghost/Dark attackers?

It might be useful in very fast gym clearing compared to 'tars (although running risk of encountering Blissey).

Anyway, had crazy evolving like 20+ Metagross. I'm out of berries now, my ball supply took quite a hit although still have 400 balls. In the end I have perfect, 15/14/15, and 15/15/13 and a lot other outstanding ones... too tired....

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
All the sites and pages I read about only compare Lick with Shadow Claw. I don't personally have a Shadow Claw Gengar, so I'm wondering: how would Lick compare to Hex, Gengar's current Ghost fast move?
Leagues above it, to the point where Sucker Punch (unSTABbed) and Hex are similar. Hex is p bad given its mediocre DPS and lackluster EPS. Lick is comparable to Shadow Claw in effectiveness after all.

Pokemon GO JP's Twitter account confirms that you can get Spiritomb as long as you complete the task by November 1st, contradicting Serebii.
ふういんポケモンとして知られる「ミカルゲ」は、108個の魂が集まって生まれたポケモンです
「Pokémon GO ハロウィン」の「スペシャルリサーチ」を11月1日(木)までに受け取り、タスクを完了することでミカルゲに出会えます。さぁ、勇気を出して挑戦しましょう! #PokemonGOHalloween
Spiritomb, the forbidden Pokemon, is one that is the collection of 108 spirits. Accept and complete the Pokemon GO Halloween Special Research by November 1st to meet it.

Expert Evan

Didn't know there was a time limit for the special request, am glad I got this done awhile ago and it helped that that one college campus conveniently had 8+ pokestops I never visited before.

I wish to know if gengar day will be easily doable with 2 people or would I need to find a third person. My plan of action is to at least raid it 6 times to get full use of my free raid passes and while keeping the best ones, try to trade off the rest in hopes they become lucky and/or desireable IVs with perfect attack at least.

Expert Evan

So nice to have the Lavender Town theme music back in time for Halloween, was missing that.

Anyways, I'm going to hold off on claiming the research bonus until it's ready to get Shedinja. Common logic would suggest getting Suicune, but unlike raikou and entei, Suicune is useless in Pokemon GO and while I don't know enough of how Shedinja would affect the meta and I doubt it would be any useful at all, at least it would be another pokedex entry I don't yet have. Hopefully December will have another legendary again for those that missed out before.

The first time I can get my weekly research reward on the day it becomes available and they decide to break the legendary pattern, opting to go for Shedinja instead of Kyogre/Groudon. Maybe that means they'll be the level 5 raids for November? In that case I'll have to wait even longer because my Kyogre luck's been terrible.

The first time I can get my weekly research reward on the day it becomes available and they decide to break the legendary pattern, opting to go for Shedinja instead of Kyogre/Groudon. Maybe that means they'll be the level 5 raids for November? In that case I'll have to wait even longer because my Kyogre luck's been terrible.
Personally, I doubt they'll give us Kyogre/Groudon as Research reward, as they didn't do it for Mewtwo or Ho-Oh/Lugia. I think they'll keep it to the lower legendaries. The Lati-twins are probably next, followed by the three Regis.

They could also stagger them with some other unusual Pokemon, like Shedinja in November. Options could be Mons with Legacy moves (Confusion Exeggutor, Ice Beam Lapras, Rock Throw/Slide Omastar), Mons with new moves (Flying/Rock Aerodactyl, Crabhammer Kingler or Crawdaunt), rarer Mons (Delibird for December/Christmas!, Miltank) or even introducing unreleased Pokemon (Smeargle, Clamperl/Gorebyss/Huntail, Kecleon).

As for Kyogre, it already came back a second time in Tier 5 Raids with its shiny forme, so I doubt they'll bring it back a third time. Groudon, though, is still expected.

How is Shedinja going to work without its characteristic Wonder Guard?
Nobody knows yet. It will be interesting to see, as it is set to have only 2 Stamina. If they somehow make it so that Shedinja only takes damage from super effective moves, it could be an fun defender, as it would often cause a switch, but only to die instantly...

Edit: If they give it a pseudo-Wonder Guard, as an attacker, Shedinja would be immortal if your foe can't touch you, since they can't switch. But with a 153 Attack stat (same as Porygon, Smoochum and Gloom...), there's gonna be much better options. Maybe as an anchor?

So yeah, we'll see.

Last edited:
As for Kyogre, it already came back a second time in Tier 5 Raids with its shiny forme, so I doubt they'll bring it back a third time. Groudon, though, is still expected.
Ugh, I had forgotten that I'd already failed to catch that thing in two separate events.

I'm not a fan of bringing back legacy move Pokemon, even though I would love a Shadow Ball Mewtwo. Those should just be made permanently unavailable as a reward for those who put in the time to get them.

So nice to have the Lavender Town theme music back in time for Halloween, was missing that.
Morning of 1st, they reverted back to old music. I'm miffed that they only do that for a day. Sighs... kinda hope they'll do something for Xmas, maybe with snowy city themes like... I forgot the last one in Kalos....

Nobody knows yet. It will be interesting to see, as it is set to have only 2 Stamina. If they somehow make it so that Shedinja only takes damage from super effective moves, it could be an fun defender, as it would often cause a switch, but only to die instantly...

Edit: If they give it a pseudo-Wonder Guard, as an attacker, Shedinja would be immortal if your foe can't touch you, since they can't switch. But with a 153 Attack stat (same as Porygon, Smoochum and Gloom...), there's gonna be much better options. Maybe as an anchor?

So yeah, we'll see.
I'm thinking they can do what they do in PMD series: have more than 1 HP, takes only 1 damage from non-SE attack. Still the same though, especially that it's weak to both popular T'tar sets.

Also, it may take years to come, but those legendaries still doesn't have their signature moves which is in the GM already. Maybe they'll someday rerelease Kyogre, even if it is in years maybe after Kalos' introduction. This is also why I'm holding back from raising Groudons: Fear of Exclusive Moves.

Adventure Sync is now available, but somehow it doesn't work for me. Do I have to have the app open but not active to have it working? i.e. launch the app, exit (not kill), and lock my phone?

Last edited:
It's now active with me. Pretty decent as I just need the balls after burning through my supplies to dig my research stacks. I wonder how this works though....

I also rarely jog lately, other than going from nearest station to my campus. I'm already skinny, burning calories could as well turn me into skeleton in skins lol.

Anyway, Bug Research theme also live. I wonder, how does Shedinja work then? Have they figured out how to work its Wonder Guard?

Gamepress reports Adventure Sync is now available to lvls 35+.

I had to manually activate the option, in PoGo in-game settings.
I have an iPhone and the Health permission window popped up, and I had to allow PoGo to use the Health app's data. Then it worked!

EDIT: Silph Road says that Shedinja has nothing special. It has 2 Stamina, and that's it. It's nothing more than a trophy. Bummer...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)