Pokémon GO

My points still stand. Dark Pulse =/= Water DPS, regardless of "utility". That's all I'll say about that.

Merry Christmas to all of you all! Happy double Stardusting!
:psysly:

For Christmas, PoGo gave me a 100% Swinub this morning. Really looking forward to Mamoswine!

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
My points still stand. Dark Pulse =/= Water DPS, regardless of "utility". That's all I'll say about that.

Merry Christmas to all of you all! Happy double Stardusting!
:psysly:

For Christmas, PoGo gave me a 100% Swinub this morning. Really looking forward to Mamoswine!
Yes the conversation is done, as I stand by my facts.

Happy Holidays and I am glad you got an A+ Pokemon! I want one too! :heart:

Lets Go are mainline Gen 7 games, you can have Meltan in them, Meltan is Gen 7
Kyurem-BW doesnt take anything from Hydro Cannon and kills it with Outrage, doesnt matter that it isnt super effective

To be fair, IIRC, "Generation" is not official term and fans have been the one who sets the generation boundaries. GF has been mixing things up since they did new mon in middle of Gen7. I'd think Meltan is what I'd call Gen7.9 (since it's near the gen8's 2019 game, and it is released in new console), while the USM UBs are Gen 7.5.

But yeah, talking about this generation boundary seems to be less useful now that GF is trolling mixing things up.

Anyway, I've been reading reports that some holiday hatch 'mon are atrociously low on probability to hatch. Meanwhile, 2k are plagued with the old garbage mon even more. Nidoran, Magikarp, Zubat,... well, at least they are indeed better than Barboaches (although arguable now that its evo has PvP use), but still... the horrors of 2016 crept back.

Oh, Skorupi may hatch from 10km eggs. Horror of egg pool dilution....
I felt like dying inside when 2 days ago Porygon hatched from 10km eggs, although yesterday I did (finally) get Riolu, presumably from last week's 50km sync, not in best IV, but hatched right on X'mas makes him treasure already. Along with 14/15/15 Feebas (sadly male, but eh....).
I already bought the big winter box before reading that they'll be available until the event ends... sighs, had I known that I'd buy the boots first while it's still holiday event. Oh well, I'm keeping these stuffs. Not going to use them right away, speedy completion is expensive and not my playstyle, I'd rather wait as they are slowly increased in odds to trash-dilute their next promotion.

Yeah, rushing to get newest stuff as early as possible will only tire players. Playing with patience considerably ease things.
(Then again I haven't even had any santa Pichu, with 4 witch Pichu....)

Last edited:
Ive had absolutely no luck with hatches, no new babies, no Pichu with Santa hat (did hatch an old egg without the hat though)
New spawns are also ridiculously rare (not including Snover)

So... Current Research Breakthrough (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Raikou, Entei, and Suicune) will be in effect until March 1st, with the addition of Lugia and Ho-Oh. All 8 will have a chance to spawn after January 1st.

Are they just stalling?

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
As of now: Incubators are twice as effective (halving distance) until January 2nd. After this, the Holiday Event + the boxes will end, so don't miss out!

This also wasn't mentioned here but Deoxys-Attack has replaced Deoxys-Normal as the Ex Raid Boss until Deoxys-Defense / Speed swaps in. If you did an Ex Raid in the last 2 days, you have already faced it.

Deoxys-A is notable for being a Tier 5 that can easily be solo'd without glitches (Moltres) or maxed out counters + weather (Rayquaza), with more people adding to how trivial it is to beat. Its niche in this game arises from being a Great League murderer with its Psycho Boosts once shields are depleted or being a raid ultra glass cannon that can launch a Dark Pulse and deal insane damage before it disappears from battle. Unfortunately, it's not the best at doing the latter. Try some fun solos with it and put it in the dex.
Has anyone else had a pokemon glide around them in circles like it was orbiting them? So surreal and it made catching it impossible. .
Any vid / gif?

Amazing news for people like me who don't have Ho-oh and Lugia yet. I haven't been at college for several weeks so I haven't been able to get many research breakthroughs, and now that it's extended I can get better stuff. Works for me. Raikou / Zapdos and Moltres / Entei are some of the best attackers of their type so having more and / or stronger ones is fantastic.

It's a little disappointing but we'll get more mons soon, and community days are still going strong. Feraligatr with Hydro Cannon should be very solid and I expect to get a non-starter for February's CD as the pattern suggests.

Hi, I'm looking to sorta build a Great League army and Im wondering if anybody can find or recommend any pokemon that do well in there. Is this the right place to ask about that?

Really, all that matters is the moveset and actual bulk (and if it can actually be obtained under 1500)
Blastoise and Venusaur are staples
Deoxys-A is a gimicky one, it can pretty much rip through everything besides shields and stuff that resists psychic
Lugia, if you actually get one from research, will definetly be a beast, countering Venusaur, beating Deoxys and having the highest TDO

Meganium is apparently doing very well in Great League, with Frenzy Plant and Earthquake as a second move.

Also heard good things of Blastoise, Wishcash, Flygon, Umbreon, Azumarill and Altaria.

I don't know about Great and Ultra since all I've done with friends is Master. In my experience Giratina, Tyranitar, and Metagross are extremely good if not outright S tier. The trend I've noticed among all PVP formats is that tanks are the best way to go. Glass cannons seem to struggle a lot, especially when their charge moves can be shielded.

Of note, some of the new Research includes Fossil Pokemon, so anyone working on Meltan should get out and find them.

Catch 10 Ice Types: Kabuto
Win a level 3 or higher raid: Omanyte
Catch 7 Flying, Psychic, or Dark-type Pokemon: Anorith
Make 3 Great throws: Anorith/Lileep
Evolve a Pokemon using an item: Aerodactyl
Win 5 Raids: Aero

Been on vacation for over two weeks without PC access (Smogon on mobile is just a no no), but I finally managed to get Cubone from the Use 5 Razz Berries to catch Pokemon task, which took me over a day to find after spinning dozens of Poke Stops. Another few dozen Poke Stops later, I finally got the Catch 7 Flying/Psychic/Dark Type Pokemon task, only for everything but those types and ice (because I had found the Catch 10 Ice Types task too) to spawn. Naturally, after I finally caught 7 of those types, I couldn't stop finding flying types but what the heck.

Glad I found another 10 Ice Types task, though, so I can knock out both by catching 10 instead of 20. Buuuuut despite living in Hokkaido where it's been snowing for over a month, ice types are a lot rarer than, say. bug and grass types.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Introducing that quest after the holiday is a crime for most people. The most common Ice-types will likely be things like Spheal and Swinub and even then they're not common at all. You basically need a nest for it.

Can't wait for Heatran to leave, we need to get the shitter trio (Uxie Mesprit Azelf) out of the way.

Introducing that quest after the holiday is a crime for most people. The most common Ice-types will likely be things like Spheal and Swinub and even then they're not common at all. You basically need a nest for it.

Can't wait for Heatran to leave, we need to get the shitter trio (Uxie Mesprit Azelf) out of the way.
Hey, Azelf is amazing

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Comparable to a slightly lesser Mewtwo but we don't rly need the Psychic DPS (when have you ever used a Mewtwo with Psychic rather than Shadow Ball). Sucks in PvP cause no Psycho Cut.

Other two are bad. I'll pass lol

That, and I was on vacation so no Heatran raiding for me yet. Gonna try get that done this weekend, though it's also kinda on me for taking such a long vacation I guess.

Can confirm it's mostly been Spheal and Swinub up here. Not a single leaf in sight but grass types are ridiculously common in the middle of winter. Even in research tasks, the only available ice types are Jynx and Lapras, and they require multiple raids to complete. I can't really tell if Niantic is being evil or just trolling.

Also, can we get Kyogre back at some point soon?

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
That, and I was on vacation so no Heatran raiding for me yet. Gonna try get that done this weekend, though it's also kinda on me for taking such a long vacation I guess.

Can confirm it's mostly been Spheal and Swinub up here. Not a single leaf in sight but grass types are ridiculously common in the middle of winter. Even in research tasks, the only available ice types are Jynx and Lapras, and they require multiple raids to complete. I can't really tell if Niantic is being evil or just trolling.

Also, can we get Kyogre back at some point soon?
I think with the legendary Gen 1+2 research tasks, it’s a last horaah, before they move on to the new generations.

And... I am excited... because realize: Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos, and Lugia all received new moves... sorry Ho-Oh, (Aeroblast Lugia woulda been interesting if it didn’t have Sky Attack).

Ugh, too bad Gen 2 Dogs were completely left out.

Does that mean that Gen 3 Research tasks will grant Kyogre and Groudon’s signature moves? They are coded in. Seems like it will be fun!

I think with the legendary Gen 1+2 research tasks, it’s a last horaah, before they move on to the new generations.

And... I am excited... because realize: Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos, and Lugia all received new moves... sorry Ho-Oh, (Aeroblast Lugia woulda been interesting if it didn’t have Sky Attack).

Ugh, too bad Gen 2 Dogs were completely left out.

Does that mean that Gen 3 Research tasks will grant Kyogre and Groudon’s signature moves? They are coded in. Seems like it will be fun!
Oh god just not that, at least give us a chance to use TMs

Miraculously got my 8th (Spheal), 9th (Swinub), and 10th (Snover) ice types to complete the task and caught Meltan (14/13/15), while getting a Heatran (12/12/14) raid during lunch break, as my workplace is also a gym. Not a fan of the Meltan tasks at all, but now I'm on the hunt for a good Slakoth. Only been getting Trapinch from 10km eggs thus far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)