Pokémon GO

So is the verdict that Ancient Power is not worth getting if I only had one viable Swinub to evolve into Mamoswine and I don't want to unlock a second move?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
For now, you shouldn't get it, though there is coding that has been in the game for quite some time to suggest the addition of stat buffs / debuffs (akin to Swords Dance, Calm Mind, and of course, Ancient Power's effect that raises all stats) that may actually make Mamoswine a good use of this + Avalanche. It's up to you to decide ultimately based on speculation (if it happens) or what we already know (that Powder Snow / Avalanche is the best set).

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Speak of the devil: https://pokemongolive.com/post/statbooststrainerbattles2019

• Ancient Power: Chance to raise the user’s Attack and Defense
  • Ominous Wind: Chance to raise the user’s Attack and Defense
  • Silver Wind: Chance to raise the user’s Attack and Defense

Unfortunately, this is only for Trainer Battles, but if PvP is big in your area, these 3 moves have gotten a boon in viability that should help diversify / strengthen the corresponding metagame you're playing in. Mamoswine has the potential to fire off a boosted Avalanche and take better hits which can be huge; we'll have to see how big of a change this will end up being.

Better be safe than sorry and get Ancient Power, then. They might expand this in the future to gyms battles and (less likely) raids, too.

Btw does anyone want to be my battle partner for Sinnoh Stones this weekend?

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Better be safe than sorry and get Ancient Power, then. They might expand this in the future to gyms battles and (less likely) raids, too.

Sure. We made it to Ultra Friends. Would be a waste to not use it. :)

Echoing this sentiment as well if anyone wants to help me out!

Speak of the devil: https://pokemongolive.com/post/statbooststrainerbattles2019

• Ancient Power: Chance to raise the user’s Attack and Defense
  • Ominous Wind: Chance to raise the user’s Attack and Defense
  • Silver Wind: Chance to raise the user’s Attack and Defense
Unfortunately, this is only for Trainer Battles, but if PvP is big in your area, these 3 moves have gotten a boon in viability that should help diversify / strengthen the corresponding metagame you're playing in. Mamoswine has the potential to fire off a boosted Avalanche and take better hits which can be huge; we'll have to see how big of a change this will end up being.
:pikuh: Then we realise in the middle league, Giratina should be kicked to AG for having even more buffs. Seriously, I thought it was bad enough that I specifically got my Milotic just to slap this dang thing with DT/B, but now it can run ALL viable moves?

On the other hand I might want to then experiment with Drifblim. I remember I have one loon I can try to use.

Last edited:
5 rewards a day from gym leader battles is live. Naturally I got 0 Sinnoh Stones from it but hopefully you'll get some.

Also Adventure Sync is wonky again. Walked 3.4km today only for 2.2km to register smh.

Even with the stat boosts in PvP battles, Ancient Power on Mamoswine is bad. Maybe get it on a shiny for a great league trophy or something but otherwise save your candies to get ice Mamoswines.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Mamoswine is live so if you want to skip over Ancient Power, you may evolve a few now so you save on Charges / get the Ice squad. Swinub to Piloswine is also 25 candy.

I plan to evolve one with AP just for the trophy, so to speak, and save the rest of the stones for normal Mamo's. Are we able to get more stones now? Or is that only tomorrow during the 3-hour window?

I need a "Your [item]'s effect has worn off, would you like to use another one?" pop up for Lucky Eggs and Star Pieces, this ain't gen one anymore. Went about an hour after mine wore off and forgot to put them up again smh.

That makes me relieved that I couldn't find a good Manmo material for lower league PvP....

I got a perfect one anyway, and with my past squad, now I just need the stardust to actually raise them, because I have busted my dust to the line of poverty since PvP happened....

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Good thing I already had perfect piloswines ready to evolve for this event as outside of a few shinies here and there I didn't have much luck otherwise. I only evolved the perfect ones during the event since while ancient power is quite useless for the most part it is a 3-bar charge move that could be essential at times even though Avalanche is desireable enough. We'll see what the future holds.

My hope is that we get a Rayquaza (possible shiny) 3-hour event similar to how we had the legendary birds and gengar in the past. Mamoswine would definitely star in those raids.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I remain fully convinced that Niantic are fudging the IVs of Community Day Pokémon. A friend and I went with a group around town for the full duration of the Community Day yesterday, and between us we only caught one single Swinub with an IV total above 80 (at 93 %, thankfully multiple members of our group were able to catch it). The group often parted ways as various people ran errands, but we met together again for Raid battles. Each of us caught dozens of the little buggers, but only that one had IVs in the highest bracket. With that many Pokémon of the same species spawning, there should at least have been a handful with IVs in the 80-90 range.

That being said, my friend and I ended the day by trading one of our crappy shinies (most of which were in the lowest IV bracket) with each other, and the one I got ended up at a respectable 89 % after the trade.

My favourite CD spot has 6 Pokestop, with a few natural spawn points. I caught Pokemon non-stop in the 3 hours of the event. I ended up with just 3 Swinub with IVs higher than 80%, and a single shiny.

I already had a 100%, a 98 and a 96, and got a shitload of Stardust, though, so I'm not too bummed.

I need a "Your [item]'s effect has worn off, would you like to use another one?" pop up for Lucky Eggs and Star Pieces, this ain't gen one anymore. Went about an hour after mine wore off and forgot to put them up again smh.
Having pop-up would instead be intrusive though, but they can make a clickable, noticeable button over the [item] timer icon when the timer runs out, where it can prompt you a pop-up to confirm another usage (without going to the bag first).

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Clamperl is coming to Go!

This is going to be another 3 hour, limited-event. Pretty shit. Thankfully, it is only Clamperl and there is no mention of a shiny variant (yet). No details yet on how Deep Sea Tooth or Deep Sea Scale play into this, but we'll hopefully see in the coming days.

EDIT: The official Pokémon site and Serebii confirm it is random (ala Wurmple). Not sure why they even bothered coding in DST and DSC...

Last edited:
Meltan for a month, Swinub CD last Sunday, Pokemon GO Special Weekend this Saturday, and now Clamperl this Sunday... Hope March CD is garbage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)