Pokémon GO

no, just things that keep the game competitive, my Gyarados has been a gym for nearly a week now, I can't do anything with it at all except use it to claim 10 coins and 500 dust, while nice, is not useful at all when I need it to remove Dragonites.
I mean hatched 5KM into a 3rd Diglett, DUGTRIO obtained..... and the thing has no use whatsoever even with the best moveset.
Gengar gets its arse handed to it by lower CP Hypnos....
Welcome to pokemon >.<

what I did read today, about Dragonites spawn locations, they seem to spawn near clefairy, according to sylph road, when I was away last week I mentioned it here, but a dragonite spawned, I also caught clefable and were clefairy in the area.
its not, welcome to pokemon, when Jolteon loses to vaporeon.

no, just things that keep the game competitive, my Gyarados has been a gym for nearly a week now, I can't do anything with it at all except use it to claim 10 coins and 500 dust, while nice, is not useful at all when I need it to remove Dragonites.
I mean hatched 5KM into a 3rd Diglett, DUGTRIO obtained..... and the thing has no use whatsoever even with the best moveset.
Gengar gets its arse handed to it by lower CP Hypnos....
What the. A Lv10 Gym in my area (all spoofers, naturally) with tons of Snorlax, Lapras and Dragonites just lasted about two days on average.
All the Gyms in my area are like that. Lv7 at a minimum and quickly taken down and rebuild by teams of spoofers. Its making me really bitter about this game.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
what I did read today, about Dragonites spawn locations, they seem to spawn near clefairy, according to sylph road, when I was away last week I mentioned it here, but a dragonite spawned, I also caught clefable and were clefairy in the area.
Source? The town near my house frequently spawns clefairy but I haven't seen a single dratini or dragonite there. My office, on the other hand, is right next to a river and I get the odd dratini there and have seen dragonairs 2 or 3 times.

http://pokemongohub.net/dragonites-spawn-near-clefairy-spawns/
frequent spawn point probably isn't what is deemed a nest.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...e_habitat_found_after_analysis_of_6/?sort=top

need to find a clefeairy nest... I did however catch 2 dratini and nidoqueen today
Looked on Silph road for clefairy nests and there is one not too far away possibly. but whether its the frequent spawn point, or a proper nest is another matter, it also happens to be near a golf course, which is supposedly a dragon type spawn.

my Gyarados is not in a spoofed gym.. the Gym is a Hotel... me and my sister leveled it, she left her magmar there and got it back after only 2 days yet Gyarados is still there.

Last edited:
my Gyarados is not in a spoofed gym.. the Gym is a Hotel... me and my sister leveled it, she left her magmar there and got it back after only 2 days yet Gyarados is still there.
Chill there, I didn't claim you guys are spoofers. Just surprised the spoofers didn't even attempt to take over it like they take over the Gyms in my area.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
So I checked the reddit thing for my area's pokemon go, and some people said stuff that interested me:

1. Mons in nests tend to have bad IV's - Didn't know this before I spent a few days trying to catch a good IV'd Eggsecute in a nest for a few days XD

2. Nests change every 23 or 24 days - The latest change was 1 or 2 days ago I think, and it's nice to know how often that happens

Found this list a while back, but I do wonder if it's the same changes around this time or if they'll change it up again.

On a side note, I've hatched a ton of 5K eggs and have literally never gotten a Growlithe. I tend to get the same mons (Oddish, Paras, Goldeen, Ekans), so I'm starting to wonder if eggs have some sort of link from where they're obtained.

from what I seen nests haven't changed yet, but rest of it is true. I dont see an obtained link, as I have gotten 3 digletts, yet never caught one.

spoofers dont go for high level gyms.

Me too. I didn't see any nests changing.

In my area, spoofers form high level gyms and team up to take down opposing high level gyms. I have only seen a handful of people playing games the normal way and their levels are way below the spoofers who range from 25 to 30+

Is it too late to start Pokemon go?

I had a terrible phone during the initial hype so I missed out on everything :(. Now that I finally have a good phone, hardly any of my friends play anymore and the ones that still do, are WAY ahead of me.

Is it too late to start Pokemon go?

I had a terrible phone during the initial hype so I missed out on everything :(. Now that I finally have a good phone, hardly any of my friends play anymore and the ones that still do, are WAY ahead of me.
You'll be right to start now man, if you've got a decent amount of Pokestops in your area you'll level up quick enough, you won't be playing catch up for too long.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I think someone told me this before, but some of the IV's (I think Attack mainly) are affected by the dex number, so seeing starters with low IV's for Attack while Dratini and Snorlax have high attack is what generally happens I think. So you'll have to hatch a starter if you're planning on getting a good IV'd one. The nest giving low IV's to their mons might also make it worse for starters if you're in a nest trying to get some.

Edit @ below: Generally you'll wanna buy Lucky Eggs, Incubators and possibly a bag upgrade. I got 1 bag upgrade and I never feel pressured on items (with 350 items, you'll typically be low on one type (potions or balls) and then have a ton of the other. Lucky Eggs and Incubators are really rare (like every 5 or 10 levels), and seeing as how lucky eggs are the best way to level up (especially later), I'd say try to get one every level to use, and then buy incubators.

Ratata isn't that good, but you've got the best moveset I think, so you can probably keep that one, granted it won't be too good compared to mons like Snorlax and Vaporeon.

Last edited:
I have a couple questions:
What should i be saving my coins for?
Also, i captured a 15/14/15 Rattata, i evolved it into Raticate and it had the moves Bite and Hyper Beam. Is this a good Raticate or are there better ones?

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, i captured a 15/14/15 Rattata, i evolved it into Raticate and it had the moves Bite and Hyper Beam. Is this a good Raticate or are there better ones?
If you have plenty of pokestops nearby where you can stock up easily, bag upgrade and incubators are the best things you can buy in the store.
However, if you don't have many pokestops or you find your bag isn't full all the time, you can get lucky eggs and incubators. A lucky egg goes a long way when you mass evolve common mons like Caterpie Weedle and Pidgey.

In terms of DPS that Raticate is only 1 point away from being perfect, definitely a keep.
Personally anything with above 85% in IVs with an ideal moveset is worth hanging onto, until you come across perfect mons, which is rare and you might not even get the right moveset when you evolve.

Raticale is fine like that, but it will never be worth using dust on. It simply isn't a strong enough pokemon to use limited resources to power up.

The stamina is majorly broken and the effect speed has on combat performance is also broken, but to a lesser extent.

Currently, Stamina is 2*Base HP, which really hurts low HP pokemon because it doesn't take into account the 1 HP per level pokemon in the games normally get. The formula for stamina should really be around 65+Base HP. This would put Vaporeon's HP at 50% more than Jolteon or Flareon...far more accurate.

As a result of this, speed, and the lowered effect of super effective/not very effective and STAB, only a few pokemon with the right IVs and moveset are worth leveling up with your stardust. One thing to note is, generally, fighting pokemon, rock pokemon, and electric pokemon are pretty terrible due to the moves they can have and this creates a skewed metagame along with the unbalanced stat interpretations.

I will give you my perspective as someone on level 29 with a pokedex of 130.

There are good offensive pokemon and good defensive pokemon. I will start with some examples and my opinions on what to do with defensive pokemon.

Defense Pokemon:

In my opinion, defense pokemon are almost never worth powering up if you won't ever use them offensively. The reason being several hundred CP will not make your pokemon significantly more effective against anyone who is competent at dodging. Defensive pokemon worth keeping simply to drop into gyms. Some defensive pokemon of note are:

Snorlax - Zen Headbutt/Any Charge Move - Annoying defender, almost guaranteed to at least dent an offensive pokemon. No real weaknesses, huge benefactor of stat interpretation. If it has EQ, Exeggutor will have his number relatively easily.
Exeggutor - Confusion/Psychic - Exeggutor is relatively obnoxious with double psychic abilties because it will hit virtually any good pokemon for neutral damage. I await the day Houndoom arrives to makes his life miserable.
Dragonite - Any abilities - To be honest, for his CP, Dragonite really isn't that bad to deal with. Of course, I say this as a person who has a frost breath/blizzard cloyster who dumps on him all the time. He resists all the common types and has boatloads of CP, but he isn't that hard to beat.
Lapras - Ice Shard/Charge Move - Lapras is also relatively obnoxious to deal with. Like Snorlax, he greatly benefits from high HP and low speed in PoGo.
Poliwrath - Bubble/Hydro Pump - Bubble is broken due to its speed and defensive double cast mechanics, but otherwise, Poliwrath isn't that special. Just a good defender.
Slowbro - Confusion/Psychic or Pulse - Again, broken record, good defender. In particular, with psychic, he can handle the grass/poison pokemon who like to counter waters.
Vaporeon - Water Gun/Any - Broken amounts of HP. Not actually a great defender, but they will be almost everywhere due to ease of access.
Victreebel/Vileplume/Venusaur - Razor Leaf/Any - Grass pokemon will be thrown in to disturb your offensive water rhythm. They can be handled by fire relatively easily.
Arcanine - Fire Fang/Flamethrower or Fire Blast - One of two fire pokemon you are likely to see often along with Flareon. Mostly fodder if you ask me because Vaporeon is so dominant on offense.
Flareon - Ember/Any - Like Arcanine, truly fodder, but a rhythm breaker.

Offense Pokemon:

I think offense pokemon are the best to power up for a variety of reasons. They are the most important for actually taking gyms and they are the part you control the most. They are the ones who do the serious heavy lifting. After you hit somewhere in the low 20s, it will be worth keeping track of your best IV, quality moveset offensive pokemon for taking on gyms. Primarily, the ones who are best for dealing with the above threats.

Vaporeon - Water Gun/Hydro Pump - Vaporeon is seriously the most ridiculous offensive pokemon right now. Water Gun is excellently spammable and many pokemon fall in that HP range where hydro pump just finishes them off and prevents them from getting the next charge attack off. She will beat just about anything head to head with little difficulty except possibly Exeggutor, double psychic Slowbro, Dragonite, and the grass pokemon. She dominates most of the other water pokemon because of offensive advantage, she bests Snorlax for the same reason. She rolls through basically everything you need her to. I have 7 90% plus Vaporeons with this moveset because I've caught over 500 eevee. I keep 3 at max standing.

Exeggutor - Zen Headbutt/Solar Beam - This is the other MVP of offense. He hammers the grass pokemon, the water pokemon, and will beat Snorlax one on one. If you see a fire pokemon, you simply switch to Vaporeon and dismantle them. These two form 2/3rds of a FWG core that is great for offense. There are other grass pokemon who can provide some offensive options. The ones who defend above are viable options. Venusaur is superior on offense if it has Vine Whip as a pure grass pokemon. Zen headbutt/Psychic has applications in particular for neutral matchups if you just want a psychic pokemon who wont fall over when the wind blows.

Venusaur - Vine Whip/Solar Beam - Very strong against water pokemon. Vine whip is excellent on offense. If you hatch a very good Bulbasaur and eventually get enough candies, he can be your go to if you can't manage to get Exeggutor to agree with you. He can perform many of the same functions, though he has less overall coverage outside of pummeling water pokemon.

Arcanine - Fire Fang/Fire Blast - Arcanine will have the best matchup against Lapras and grass type pokemon. Flareon is a slightly inferior version of Arcanine, but has the same general effect if Growlithe is rare in your area. He can handle them with ease, though if you are feeling lazy and don't dodge, Exeggutor can hammer you with Confusion/Psychic. The rest fall quickly.

Lapras - Either/Ice Beam or Blizzard - Lapras dominates Dragonite, can actually handle Exeggutor easily as well. He can also win stall wars with the waters due to resisting them just as easily. While he is better defensively, he is just as good offensively for handling annoying pokemon.

Wigglytuff - Pound/Hyper Beam or Play Rough - Wiggly is to offense what Snorlax is to defense. She has a neutral matchup and extremely strong moves for offense in both slots. She massacres Dragonites running Dragon Breath, and the Pound/Hyper Beam combo in particular will easily take out any pokemon you need her to if you have a weakness in your lineup. The reason Wigglytuff needs to be mentioned is the ease at which she will find candy as your buddy. Jigglypuff candy is 100% the most useful candy per kilometer you can get for battling and it, frankly, is not even close. She has a ton of HP and does a ton of damage.

Substitutes to those above: Victreebel/Vileplume with Razor Leaf and SolarBeam/LeafBlade/PetalBlizzard for Venusaur and Flareon. Charizard serves as a sub except against Lapras. Since offensive ice is relatively niche and aimed at stopping Dragonites, both Dewgong and Cloyster can fulfill the same role with the proper moveset.

Outside of these, I am not sure there is a pokemon I would keep powered up. If you want some numbers, here is what I have powered up most of the time:

3 Vaporeons with Water Gun and Hydro Pump
3 Exeggutors with Zen Headbutt and SolarBeam(x2) or Psychic(x1)
1 Venusaur with Vine Whip and Solar Beam
1 Victreebel with Razor Leaf and Leaf Blade
1 Arcanine with Fire Fang and Fire Blast
1 Flareon with Ember and Fire Blast
1 Cloyster with Frost Breath and Blizzard
1 Wigglytuff with Pound and Hyper Beam
1 Jolteon with 100% IVs, Thundershock and Thunder, who I don't want to feel bad for sucking.

That is where we are currently in this meta. There is really no point to have much of anything else. They need to fix the stat interpretations, move balancing, and probably remove STAB altogether in a game where you don't have enough control over your moves.

This post became way longer than I intended.

so yea the fun of getting a decent pidgey (I have no idea why I never have had a decent IV Pidgey) and ending up with Air cutter :( Get a second Magikarp evolved, end up with twister.
and then get a Flareon with Flamethrower.

My snorlax is too low to even bother with, I got things like Growlithe to get candy for, and Electabuzz has ran out.

Well, it finally happened. I started playing the pogo uwp version to help the developers test it and fell in love with the thing. It's not what I expected it to be, but when I decided to just accept what I have, I started enjoying it.

I'm at level 17 right now and I'm interested in getting more knowledgeable about the game, so where can I find? What are the best resources? I have an android now, due to work reasons, so I can properly enjoy the game.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Evening folks! This idea came to me while out walking with my son today and playing Go. There are a lot of nuances and other "unspoken" rules that are meant as courtesies to your fellow players. However, some people are not aware of these rules (or ignore them) so I'm compiling a list here as a reference for everyone so you avoid being "That Guy" who unintentionally causes frustration to those around you.

The Third Pokemon Rule
This rule pertains to placing your Pokemon in gyms. Now, as you are well aware, when a gym is captured it requires 2000 Prestige to reach Level 2. Since you get a 2000 Prestige bonus automatically from placing a Pokemon in a gym, it will inevitably reach Level 2 as soon as you capture it. To reach Level 3 (and have a capacity of 3), the gym must reach 4000 Prestige, which can be achieved by the next person adding a Pokemon to it. To reach Level 4, the gym now requires 8000 Prestige. This essentially means that the next person (Third total) to add their Pokemon to the gym will not automatically boost its level simply by doing so. The gym will require some training after that before a 4th person can leave their Pokemon.

Now, as you are also aware, training friendly gyms is not the easiest or most fun thing to do. You can only bring one Pokemon, and the bonus Prestige you receive depends on your Pokemon's CP in relation to the Gym Defenders'. When a gym's lowest Pokemon is difficult to defeat, like a Snorlax or a Slowbro, it becomes very difficult to train that gym. This is where the Third Pokemon Rule comes into play. If you are going to be the Third person to add a Pokemon to a gym, do your teammates a favor and leave one that is easy to defeat. Leave that 20cp Magikarp you know you've been holding onto because it's in the top percentage of all Magikarp. This is highly beneficial to your teammates because it allows the gym's Prestige to be increased easily and quickly, which in turn allows more pokemon to be added to it and the Gym made stronger and more difficult to take down, which benefits your whole team and not just you.

Summary: don't be that guy who leaves a freakin Snorlax as the lowest cp Pokemon in a gym that will need to be trained. It makes your teammates sad.

The Next Level Gym Deployment Rule

This kind of follows after the first rule. Have you ever gone to a friendly gym and tried to train it up a bit so you can stick one of your own Pokemon in it? Have you slaved and sweated and worked your way up, finally getting the gym to the next level, only to have some douchemissile swoop in and throw his Pokemon in there instead, taking advantage of all your hard work and leaving you with more to do? Don't be that douchemissile. If you come across a gym and you see it near the next level, check to see if someone is actively training it first. If they are, when it does reach the next level, let them have first dibs on the new slot. If you're feeling nice, you can even help them get it there faster if you like.

Summary: don't be that guy who steals a gym slot right after someone has just trained it to the next level.

The Gym Capture Delay Rule

Ok, this one might be a bit controversial, only because it involves you being courteous not just to your teammates, but to your opponents as well. We've all endured that painful experience of taking down an enemy gym to zero Prestige, only to have your enemy slide a new Pokemon into it before you've had a chance to claim it. We all know there's a natural delay that happens after a gym is fully defeated, and it's common courtesy to allow the person who defeated it the honor of placing their Pokemon in it. By all means, feel free to go ahead and destroy their Pokemon right afterward, just do it the right way.

Summary: don't be that guy who camps on a gym and continually puts new Pokemon in it right after it's defeated before the defeator has a chance to.

These are just a few basic guidelines to get us started. If you have an idea for one, please post yours in a similar format to the way I've posted mine. If people like them, I'll add them into the OP. I'd like this thread, honestly, to be a nice resource to new and old players alike, so we may all have a much more pleasant Pokemon Go experience!

A question: Let's suppose I've caught a perfect Magikarp at level 1, and when I evolve it, it has perfect moveset. If I power it up with stardusts to get, say, to level 20, will it be as strong as a level 20 Gyarados I caught while at level 20? And if I keep powering it up, will it be as strong at level 30 as if I had caught it at level 30?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)