Pokémon GO

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is certainly a weird twist put on by Niantic. I can imagine trying to find any of these lake trios will be as hard or even harder than trying to find an unown which I only was able to find from the aid of a defunct tracking map. Unless there's a special event, good luck finding any of these.

This means the only legendary non-mythical pokemon left from 4th generation is Regigigas whom nobody will really want from legendary raids unless they intend to redo other legendaries or add mythicals to the legendary mix.

Good thing I didn't power up my other giratina-O so soon.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf surface in regional raids...

What an absolute waste to release them in the wild. From Thursday, May 2, 2019, at 1 p.m. to Monday, May 27, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT, we will have the lake shitters in their respective regions (Azelf - Americas, Mesprit - Europe / Middle East, Uxie - Asia) in raids. As a silver lining, they will still be available in the wild during and after this period.

I can't hide my discontent for this.

Well, I'm thinking to try a fun in my community. They also run TSR's type theme tournaments.

Right now, the types will be Fighting - Dark - Psychic. I have been reading the meta explanations, but still wonder if I may miss something.
The confinement with 6 team, 3-on-3 each battle (say, like Battle Spot Singles complete with team preview) makes me think a lot about the team composition.

I lucked out with my legacy mudslinging Poliwrath?, so this has to go here.
Poliwrath answers the Dark/Poison pests and maybe 'croak and Luca.
AloRaichu is suicide lead/shield bait.
Last Resort Umbreon, CP1490. It should've even been general purpose Espeon, but changed plan and now this is my only usable Last Resort one.
Looks like this is one good core team, but... I need to think of the meta here: Counter (ridiculous fast move), Powerup Punch (ridiculous buffing charge move), Confusion (powerful fast move it hurts)....
The other 3 mon out of 6 is still, I need to carefully choose and not use too many frail mon like Luca or 'croak....

I (ironically) lack good Psychics here (I can get Chiirin/that windbell mon, but with 128 candies first or 765km walking which is impossible). Neidoll/Claydoll? can be good, but I need to look for better ones first than one I have right now (CP 1490 seems disadvantageous enough).
Maybe I can relax from countering Psychic itself with Psychic when I have Umbreon, but....
I also lack Fighting options. That poison frog looks good, but not only I lack it, it falls too quickly to Psychics, even if I do have Umbreon.
Maybe I should trade Balkies with others to hope for the Hitmons. I'm considering Lucario too, but I can't think of using too many frail mon and I need answer against Fighting type itself too. I'll hope I have good Gardes as second plan.

I wonder why they don't mention Metagross with its ridiculous MMash. Granted, they do have the pesky Dark types, but it should shut down a lot of the Dark/Poison ones, especially when they run Poison Jab (but not if they don't). They do mention the CD-upcoming Blaziken after all and it's too frail when facing a lot of things. And while we're on that, Slowbro too, with its great bulk, although cursed with suboptimal Water Pulse, but still with Confusion. No option against its own Psychic fellow though (though Ice Beam beats Xatu and Claydoll), and dies quickly to AloRaichu.

Hmm, theorymonning in GO can be difficult because I need to first have the mon raised to optimal level (the main series can at least breed and grind EXP quickly, unlike here with candy+dust investment and having the mon first by physically walking.)
And suddenly I hate multi-accounters (few people run it) who can have easier life looking for them....

Last edited:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I did manage to get in a duo azelf in foggy conditions so having a lineup with maxed out pair of Giratina-O, Tyranitar & Mewtwo (with Shadow Ball) and even with one re-lobby and sending out a weavile (azelf's charge move was future sight) still manage to have 50 seconds left. So I'll be asking when in doubt in lucky trades for a Giratina-O since it'll be the supreme counter to all lake trio pokemon in the next several months if they switch regions every month like the legendary beast did few years ago.

Speaking of lucky trades, I currently have 10, not sure what the limit is to how many can have at once, but it's been difficult to meet up with any of them even though most all of them are local, although one of which is a facebook friend from Chicago whom I once met at Pokemon Worlds many years ago and another I met on community day but can't seem to find her on facebook nor discord so what gives. Times like these I wish lucky trades can be done remotely similar to PvP so why not.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Speaking of lucky trades, I currently have 10, not sure what the limit is to how many can have at once, but it's been difficult to meet up with any of them even though most all of them are local, although one of which is a facebook friend from Chicago whom I once met at Pokemon Worlds many years ago and another I met on community day but can't seem to find her on facebook nor discord so what gives. Times like these I wish lucky trades can be done remotely similar to PvP so why not.
No limit to the amount of Lucky Friends you can have at the same time has been found afaik. And unfortunately, because of the whole distance stuff and lack of in-game communication systen, Lucky Friends are a bit more tedious than they should be.

I currently have 8 Lucky Friends, and the 3 I've managed to contact in my local group don't even want/need to trade anything.

It's a bit of a waste of a feature for me, unfortunately.

The time I got Lucky Friend trade, the shiny Vappy I got is on the lowest IV possible (12 flat) :pikuh:

Well, I'm doing it only for the pretty stuffs, I think. I haven't gotten any more Lucky friends lately, but I'm promised shiny Feebas and Eevees.
I don't even remember what I'm playing GO for anymore, although these PvP cups may give me a new goal.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
POKÉMON Detective Pikachu with Pokémon GO

Date + Time: Tuesday, May 7, 2019, at 1 p.m. to Friday, May 17, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)

Features:

- Select Pokémon featured in the movie will appear in raids and more frequently in the wild: Bulbasaur, Psyduck, Jigglypuff, Snubbull, and Aipom.
- Shiny Aipom releases with this event.
- If you’re lucky, you could be photobombed by a Pikachu in a detective hat—with a chance to catch one of your very own!
- x2 XP for catching Pokémon.
- Specially themed Field Research will be available for a limited time during this event.
- To top off the fun, movie-themed items will be available in the Style Shop, including a detective hat with Pikachu ears and a T-shirt featuring the POKÉMON Detective Pikachu logo.

EDIT: Detective Pikachu cannot be shiny - saves a bit of a headache.

Last edited:
Anyone know where Go gets its weather information from? It's been wildly inaccurate recently, almost like they just assign weather randomly.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
AccuWeather

I'd recommend googling "Pokémon Go AccuWeather" and researching if you want to know more in-depth; there is no one resource that has all the information, but the gist of this is basically that the weather data from AccuWeather isn't the most accurate and the way Niantic translates things like Windy and Fog into the game is weird, if unconventional which leads to inaccurate weather.

I feel like they'd have better results if they used the data from the Weather app on whatever phone you're on. I'm just gonna treat weather as random, it doesn't really affect me because I don't raid/battle much, it's just annoying to see that it's sunny in-app while thunderstorming outside.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
We're getting fully-evolved wild Charizard, Snorlax, and Ludicolo though. :heart:

Plus Machamp and Gengar now appear on tier 3 raids as opposed to the usual tier 4 (good for newer players).
Snorlax is good for getting candy for your Body Slam variants.
Ludicolo is rare, but basically a Pokédex Filler.

Are there any good ones like Chansey? Snorlax is okay, but with the rebalance of stats, Body Slam is the only thing keeping it above Slaking and Chansey.

Snorlax is good for getting candy for your Body Slam variants.
Ludicolo is rare, but basically a Pokédex Filler.

Are there any good ones like Chansey? Snorlax is okay, but with the rebalance of stats, Body Slam is the only thing keeping it above Slaking and Chansey.
Chansey's not in the film. Most likely Comfey took the cleric Pokemon role there. The Pokemon list are the Gen 1-4 Pokemon that will appear in the movie.

Movie was quite solid, exceptional for a Pokémon (or videogame) movie
btw quite hyped for Torchic, its cute but I dont need a shiny to max it out (no need for lucky trades), bonus is great and it will be the best Fire-type until Chandy and Reshiram maybe outclass it

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Movie was quite solid, exceptional for a Pokémon (or videogame) movie
btw quite hyped for Torchic, its cute but I dont need a shiny to max it out (no need for lucky trades), bonus is great and it will be the best Fire-type until Chandy and Reshiram maybe outclass it
Movie was fantastic and honestly hyped for this event. Want to get myself a T9rchic as well
So glad to hear it wasn’t a bad movie. I haven’t seen it yet, but I can tell they are done with following the anime season for each movie since Gen 6, and they are trying to make Pokémon “cool” again. It’s nice to see their change of direction with Live-Action and the seriously surprising, yet perfectly fitting, choice of Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu. It’s like the idea you didn’t have, but realize makes perfect sense.

Hopefully it’s better than the trailers make it out to be, and not just a really long Pokémon episode.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
In others news, Dortmund's Go Fest has begun its lottery drawing - you have 2 days to enter. If you weren't picked for Chicago (or can't attend it) / live in Europe, Germany might be the one to be at. Last year's Safari Zone was also largely a success, as far as Niantic successes go anyways.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
We have confirmation that Blaziken will receive Blast Burn on the upcoming Community Day. While this was incredibly obvious, the move Blaze Kick will be added to its regular movepool starting on the Community Day proper (and thus, it is TM-able and will be available after the Community Day). We do not know if it is a fast or a charge move yet.

EDIT: It's a 3 bar charge move similar to Leaf Blade. Will not outclass Blast Burn, but a pretty good move in itself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)