Pokémon GO

Caught 76 Beldums, no shiny, and my best is 82%, at 14-10-13... :blobpensive:

Evolved 5 Metagross, so hoping I'll be able to trade a few and get some with better IVs.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
At the moment I'm looking at 2 fully powered Metagross, one I powered up awhile ago with flash cannon and the other I got yesterday with Meteor Mash. The 100 for a one-bar move compared to 100 for a 2-bar move is certainly an eyesore so I'm almost tempted to trade/transfer it so it won't accidentally appear in my future line-up. I managed to incubate a few more eggs just before the event ended so I get the 4x hatch walking distance at least.
I TM’d my existing Metagross to ZH/P. The accidental party inclusion is a problem, so I began including the moveset in the nickname several months ago.

When I see it again though, currently Metagross has not very much use, isn't it? Steel isn't a good type for attacking, and the only thing it is good for currently is against possible Rhyperior and Togekiss defenders. It is only until Gen5 and so on when we have Kyurem and Xerneas that it may shine greatly.

I'm still thinking to hold off leveling up mine. Maybe I'll decide better on the compensation Beldum CD, or I'm just that lazy....

I have been seeing an increase in Misdreavus spawns... maybe a hint towards Mismagius?
I think it is not just that though. Other mon with cross gen evolutions also come up more. Seen and caught few 'vees, Nosepass and Rhyhorn are a bit more epidemic, and so is Swinub? from "nearly never appearing at all".

Last edited:
got my first mewtwo today! it has Psycho Cut / Ice Beam, and it's currently at 2925 CP, I'll power it up more later. I'm level 33 so I don't know what the CP cap is.

When I see it again though, currently Metagross has not very much use, isn't it? Steel isn't a good type for attacking, and the only thing it is good for currently is against possible Rhyperior and Togekiss defenders. It is only until Gen5 and so on when we have Kyurem and Xerneas that it may shine greatly.

I'm still thinking to hold off leveling up mine. Maybe I'll decide better on the compensation Beldum CD, or I'm just that lazy....

I think it is not just that though. Other mon with cross gen evolutions also come up more. Seen and caught few 'vees, Nosepass and Rhyhorn are a bit more epidemic, and so is Swinub? from "nearly never appearing at all".
Its the 3rd most powerful generalist that lasts a lot longer than the first two (Mewtwo and Rayquaza) and, with its bulk and steel typing, is actually potion efficient

Basically what Chander said, with a major efficiency in practice for Gyms: Blissey is the most common defender, followed by Fairy, Flying, and Psychic types to resist Machamp, all of which Metagross is incredibly resilient against while being only slightly behind the output of the two legendary Generalists. Metagross is also nice for throwing into raids against things like Mewtwo, Deoxys, or a potential return like (at complete random) Rayquaza, things that aren't notably resilient but are popular attackers (or EX raids) that will still likely attract decent crowds. Can throw out Metagross if you prefer potion efficiency to reward min-maxing, especially since he resists most of their movesets on top of much better bulk than typical generalists.

In short, Metagross isn't necessarily going to be optimal for much stuff for quite a while at best, but he's an all around great and (importantly to me) very convenient option. If a Gym lacks Metagross walls like bulky Waters, one or two Metagross can clear it out with no need to dodge and only needing Potions for them.

Side note, glad for Metagross's high CP and bulk, since it leads to casual or semi-casual players using him to defend a lot of Gyms and giving me ample chances to spam feed for a little extra candy

The Halloween event has begun. October 23rd to November 1st.
  • Ghost and Dark pokemon spawn increases, including new 'mons Drifloon and Stunky
  • Double candy on every pokemon caught
  • New special research hinting at Spiritomb
  • New field research focused on Ghost and Dark pokemon
  • New raid boss Giratina until November 20th
  • New ghost-themed style items
Who was it who called Giratina as a raid boss?

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It would've been nice if candy doubled upon hatch and transfer as well and the special tasks seems to be off to a tedious start. 108 berries? and there seems to be 2 more following this.

It would've been nice if candy doubled upon hatch and transfer as well and the special tasks seems to be off to a tedious start. 108 berries? and there seems to be 2 more following this.
The 108 berries is a nod to Spiritomb's Pokedex entries. Like this one from Diamond:
A Pokémon that was formed by 108 spirits. It is bound to a fissure in an odd keystone.

I thought it was appropriate, and a way to slow players down since there's only 3 steps to this special research.

Spiritomb research tasks courtesy of r/TheSilphRoad

Edit for important info: This is our first limited time special research. When Halloween goes, so does Spiritomb. Get cracking, skiddos. (source: Forbes)

spooky.png

Last edited:
Even 8 Poke Stops I've never visited before is going to be a pain. I'm not sure I'm prepared to use 108 Berries two weeks before the next CD on November 10th for a Spiritomb, to be honest.

Somehow managed two giratina raids today within the two hour period of the raid bosses changing and raids going offline for the day (even squeezed a last minute mewtwo before he left). My friend got a max attack and defense, but we can’t calc it cause he hasn’t been implemented into the calculator yet, but ~2509 cp is near max unboosted.

I imagine Giratina will end up in a similar situation as Lugia being one good one to round out a team as an anchor to avoid relobbying for raids. Not familiar with the statistics of the moves, but he has a fast and charge move for each of his types so someone else will need to find out how well he slots into raid parties and gym attacking.

We did have 10 people in the lobby for each raid give or take, but with his already massive HP stat, Giratina doesn’t benefit as much from the raid boss HP as other legendaries would but overall seems like it be manigible with 4 or 5 people with some optimization comfertably

Also nice he doesn’t leave a graveyard of dead mons like mewtwo did.

Community Day for Asia Pacific region has been rescheduled for October 28th. That's right, this Sunday. Same hours 12pm-3pm and same bonuses (3 hour lures, 25% hatch distance). That will certainly help with the Spiritomb research tasks, namely using 108 Berries and catching 108 Pokemon.

By the way, Serebii notes that the Spiritomb research task only has be to started before Halloween, but you can finish it at any time. Hopefully that's true because 108 Berries and 108 Pokemon in a week is impossible for me. Well, it is now that I have another CD this weekend but I probably won't really go hardcore since I want to save up supplies for whatever is on November 10th.

Last edited:
Community Day for Asia Pacific region has been rescheduled for October 28th. That's right, this Sunday. Same hours 12pm-3pm and same bonuses (3 hour lures, 25% hatch distance). That will certainly help with the Spiritomb research tasks, namely using 108 Berries and catching 108 Pokemon.

By the way, Serebii notes that the Spiritomb research task only has be to started before Halloween, but you can finish it at any time. Hopefully that's true because 108 Berries and 108 Pokemon in a week is impossible for me. Well, it is now that I have another CD this weekend but I probably won't really go hardcore since I want to save up supplies for whatever is on November 10th.
... that early? I haven't replenished myself, but I suppose it can't be helped. Not to mention actual chores outside GO, but still.
At least that means we get even more Beldum candies with this event overlap. I'm preparing my berries again then so I'll be ready to have full cohort of these tanks.

And I couldn't even progress the special quests until I catch that Mew, because the game randomly decides that I must not continue entirely different strings of Celeby's quest (and thus presumably this ghost thing too) until I catch that. Sighs, I was going to save Mew to catch in special day like Mew Day or major holidays but this screws it....:pikuh:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Catching 108 Pokemon shouldn't be as tedious as using 108 berries when catching pokemon especially for some of us that prefer to use the PoGo+ and simply walk from one parking lot to another with cluster spawns. Within 24 hours I'm already at around 20-30 berries with lot more to go. Good thing I saw this about 8 pokestops I never visited as I'll have to plan a trip to a park or town with lots of them in one area just to hit them up.

Not sure if any of you noticed at the start of the event that there was a glitch that allowed Mewtwo to learn Shadow Ball or Hyper Beam via TM. I was lucky on a 91% weather boosted that I recently caught, not so lucky with another as I noticed it was learning the new elemental moves so I immediately stopped trying any further. Considering that my previous best with Shadow Ball was only an 82% I consider this to be fortunate on my part as it would be nice to battle Giratina with a 2nd shadow ball Mewtwo. While Ice Beam would also work I hear it may be outclassed by Mamoswine which I have a few 100% I am looking forward to evolving and powering up soon.

Unfortunately I woke up about 11 minutes after the glitch was fixed and couldn't TM my Mewtwo to Shadow Ball. I've used about 38 Berries so far but I'm really not sure where I can go for 8 new Poke Stops. Might just have to take the subway to a part of the city I've never been to before. Gonna try to finish the Berries quest before the weekend. My strategy involves intentionally not throwing nice/great/excellent throws for a better chance of them popping out given low spawn rates around here.

Gonna take a while without Rare Candy. I wonder how many Meltan spawn per opening of the Mystery Box and how long you have to wait before you can transfer another Pokemon to open it again. They'll probably give us like 20 Candy to start off via research task when it eventually becomes available. Even then it'll be a pain.

Gonna take a while without Rare Candy. I wonder how many Meltan spawn per opening of the Mystery Box and how long you have to wait before you can transfer another Pokemon to open it again. They'll probably give us like 20 Candy to start off via research task when it eventually becomes available. Even then it'll be a pain.
They mentioned 30 minutes of spawning I believe.

It also says how "transferring Pokemon to PLGO" should also provide Meltan Candies, I wonder if that means that every Pokemon you send provides some or it's milestones or similar...

It'd be pretty neat if transferring Pokemon to PLGO gave the candy of that specific Pokemon to Go itself honestly, who knows... We'll see soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)