Pokémon GO

I always knew giving Slaking any Fast Move that is not 0 power would already be dangerous. That won't happen, ever.

Unfortunately, while its bulk isn't that bad, it can't really abuse Body Spam like Snorlax can ever in gym defence. Well, the only ones going to be happy is Machamps, and gym attackers, since they yield quite a lot of BXP in one shot (getting 40 BXP from 4000CP Slaking, that's 4 berries or 40 minutes of defending. I'm certainly happy when seeing those things for easy win).

At least it's not that bad, though, as thanks to its high CP, it's useful for fooling people into thinking a gym tower is tough to beat, the Empty Tower stratagem, so to say.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
The Chinese Twitter says the move will be Body Slam.

Predictable and boring - Play Rough should be better against the gym meta. With no Exp or Stardust bonus, it should be a relaxed CD, though I hope there is more (like with Blaziken's CD or Gengar's Raid Day).
More what?

The thing about Slaking is, it could easily suggest 1 move, but surprise us with an additional one, like with Blaziken.

History was made with 2 Charge moves that day, and on the Tyranitar Community Day it did have a Fast Move.

We won’t know till it happens the day of, as they even nerfed Blaze Kick the day of to make Blast Burn feel more exclusive / worth it.

Body Slam let’s it deal more damage due to it being a 3 bar move, and if it can single handedly keep Snorlax from being worse than Chansey, I think it will have a huge impact because if you send in something like Dragonite against it, then it will get to use STAB Body Slam 3x for every UnSTABBED Play Rough 2x. Don’t forget performing Body Slam without enough energy for Play Tough means it could land an extra hit.
You've never been able to TM event moves (unless specified by Niantic), so that's probably still a firm no. You can TM away its event moveset if you want though.
ITALIC=Incorrect
BOLD=Unnecessary
Underline=Bottomline—Post wasn’t helpful.

Pikachu could be TM’d Surf during its Community Day. Using a TM was never mentioned in the announcement, either...

-Thanks anyways ;)

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
With the Lake Trio exiting soon enough, we now have our summer raid bosses with the return of Cresselia, Kyogre and Groudon in raids.

Cresselia:

Date + Time: Monday, May 27, 2019, at 1 p.m. to Tuesday, June 18, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)

- 3 weeks of Cresselia.
- The Shiny will release.

Kyogre:

Date + Time: Tuesday, June 18, 2019, at 1 p.m. to Thursday, June 27, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)

- 2 weeks of Kyogre.
- The Shiny will return.

Groudon:

Date + Time: Thursday, June 27, 2019, at 1 p.m. to Wednesday, July 10, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)

- 2 weeks of Groudon.
- The Shiny will return.

This pretty much delays Regigigas' release and no Rayquaza in sight, but the summer should be good for raids unlike last year's Regi shitstorm.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
But Pikachu was their first CD and since then they've shown they simply dont want people to use TMs
Yep. I just felt the bolded part came off as a sarcastic remark that suggested he felt I asked a stupid question. Regardless, I am glad it’s established I don’t tolerate that, and cited my link as proof to the contrary.

Moving on I am happy with the return of Kyogre, and Groudon, but less so for Cresselia.

It figures. Well, not that the lake trio is useful either (thankfully, Uxie in Asia is at least somewhat workable in PvP, but Azelf though... sorry US, it's overshadowed so much). At least I aready got a workable PvP Uxie, and bother not with the mid league which is plagued by Giratina and likely outclassed by Cresselia with her coverage options.
(Speaking of Giratina, I'll hope I can ask those who battle me to ban Giratina as Uber. It's broken and supposed to be banned anyway as uber/cover legendary, unlike Cresselia. Same with Deoxys-D in lower league).

Oh well, Cresselia... I already had a lot, but maybe it's good. I'm sick of facing Uxie, knowing I can never land Excellent ever (I got some shots by sheer luck), this is arguably as bad as Kyogre in its first weeks. And unfortunately Cresselia is still unusable in low league unless with trading? Still, It's good. I'll hope to trade with some people after raiding enough amount of them, better than Latias before it (I did snag a shiny, but I was so busy).

Groudon and Kyogre again though, ha. Maybe I really have to retire the Gyaradoses.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
slakoth community day, seriously? Maybe an excuse to have a shiny version but I won't be grinding on slakoth on community day but rather take advantage of the 1/4 hatch distance time permitting. The only slaking I have are below CP 3000 on purpose, I don't like seeing it up on my list of pokemon in CP descending order and never will. I personally prefer putting snorlax, blissey and gyarados in gyms instead or whatever goes with the gym's synergy or theme.

While I've enjoyed having trio'd azelf and at one time duo'd azelf in the fog, I'm now finding it hard to just get 3 to participate in these legendary raids anymore, even during raid week where I thought there'd be more participating, maybe in the tier 1 machop and bronzor raids at least which I usually skip unless it's at a gym I need bxp towards gold.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
slakoth community day, seriously? Maybe an excuse to have a shiny version but I won't be grinding on slakoth on community day but rather take advantage of the 1/4 hatch distance time permitting. The only slaking I have are below CP 3000 on purpose, I don't like seeing it up on my list of pokemon in CP descending order and never will. I personally prefer putting snorlax, blissey and gyarados in gyms instead or whatever goes with the gym's synergy or theme.

While I've enjoyed having trio'd azelf and at one time duo'd azelf in the fog, I'm now finding it hard to just get 3 to participate in these legendary raids anymore, even during raid week where I thought there'd be more participating, maybe in the tier 1 machop and bronzor raids at least which I usually skip unless it's at a gym I need bxp towards gold.
I agree, I see more people excited for Tyranitar, Metagross and Dragonite raids. Garchomp, and Azelf are just introduced too late to spark interest, when you can catch or raid for their equivalent forms (Dragonite and Alakazam), or you already have the specific species candy necessary so you won’t rely on Rare Candies candy for leveling them up.

Having to walk Pokémon is always a choir as well. Back when Gyarados was used, it was such a pleasure to have Gyarados candy every 1 KM, but to walk Dragonite, Metagross, Blissey, or Tyranitar for candy at 5 KM seems a bit much.

Hard to find those Pokémon lines in the wild; and thus hard enough to earn candy to evolve. Having Happiny hatch for candy is nice, but the others basically require a raid for them.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I wouldnt call Dragonite an equivalent form to Garchomp, its a tad behind as a Dragon type and cant use its second typing
It does have Hurricane, but you are correct... offensively.

Defensively, it is pretty helpful in its resistances, giving it Fighting, Bug, doubling Grass, and an equivalent double immunity to Ground.

A secondary Ground typing adds a resistance to Poison, which is uncommon, a resistance to Rock which is limited to Tyranitar, Rampardos, and the less seen Rhyperior, and Electric. Electric is its best resistance in triple resisting and in its commonality (Magnezone, Electivire, Raikou, Zapdos, etc.) Ground Typing is better offensively.

As for Defensively: A Flying-Typing can make it suitable for Gyms to deter Machamps between Blissey and Snorlax, and helpful for PVP where Fighting types are more common, especially with Power-Up Punch.

Dragonite also has standout advantages like Dragon Breathe, Draco Meteor, and Dragon Claw, in addition to Dragon Tail and Outrage in its movepool - letting it take advantage of different situations to maximize its DPS and TDO.

While some are legacy, many people often discuss optimal sets, like Shadow Claw and even Lick Gengar - available for just 3 hours; ever.

While Garchomp is new, if it’s Community Day gives it Earth Power, that won’t help its purpose as a Dragon. Dragonite is still used over Rayquaza and Salamence for a reason. The combination of having more movepool options, usable bulk while paired with a useful secondary typing, allows it to be a good average.

Since I was short on maxed out Mamoswine- Take for example, a few days ago when I was completing a Tier 4 Dragonite Raid on the Dinner Hour this past week, I initially used my level 40 Rayquaza for higher DPS but it fell to a single Outrage, when I used my Dragonite it could survive 1 and deal more Outrages (3–4) while Rayquaza’s Outrage only landed 1-2x.
Having a legacy Dragon Breathe + Outrage and Dragon Tail + Dragon Claw helped it even more, as well as Dragon Breath + Dragon Claw.

Garchomp cannot have those moveset combinations
.93BAF0C8-F140-4D3B-9124-0CA65E18DC3C.jpeg52444461-01DC-4B7D-98AB-1F8D411A78B5.jpeg66779226-E2BB-4690-9C40-0CBAC6FFF6D8.jpeg

Last edited:
Its advantage is very small while Garchomp's advantage of doubling as a souped-up Dragonite and Rhyperior in one for Gyms and Raids makes it overall much more worth
If you dont have the legacy moveset, its only use is making people take three seconds to switch to Mamoswine on gym offense
If you do, its a good Dragon-Type in PvP
So... Yes, they are not equivalent

Aaaand... Chomp has better bulk, so it would do just as well in your raid scenario

Its advantage is very small while Garchomp's advantage of doubling as a souped-up Dragonite and Rhyperior in one for Gyms and Raids makes it overall much more worth
If you dont have the legacy moveset, its only use is making people take three seconds to switch to Mamoswine on gym offense

Aaaand... Chomp has better bulk, so it would do just as well in your raid scenario
About PvP 'Chomp, I doubt that at least in lower leagues, though. Lower Leagues has Azumarill running amok, she will eat 'chomp for lunch, and Altaria (which is also a beast, but happened to be held back from Skarm due to the meta) likely can also outlast him.
Mid league has... well, Giratina. Enough said.
Maybe it can work in the max league. Assuming the legendary dragons don't obliterate him (projected though, Ground hits a lot of those dragon legends as well as major CD things like Metagross, T'tar, etc.). But likely walled by Togekiss (I plan to try her there).

EDIT: If you talk about PvP Dragonite, well... Altaria (supers)/ Giratina (hypers) outclasses it still. 'Chomp does have edge over 'Nite in max league for its Ground. And although it'll be obliterated by the lower OUs anyway, 'Chomp can maybe retaliate a bit against things like Probopass?.

Azelf is actually the best Psychic-type aside from Confusion + Psychic Mewtwo. I'm thankful to have it.
Weird, in other places I read people are displeased of it. Or maybe because they have a lot of M2 already? (which is not unlikely, it had pretty long time in raids)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
While Azelf is #2 in Psychic-types behind Mewtwo, what do you exactly need it for? Psychic-weak Raid Bosses are INCREDIBLY rare, and those that exist and are desirable (Machamp, and to a lesser extent Gengar during Raid Day), people are covered with the likes of Mewtwo (which spent a full year in Ex Raids AND had a full month of regular raids), Alakazam, Espeon, and even Lugia. People are pissed at it because it's just a second-rate attacker that requires more investment that other accessible options. At least it is easy to duo (or shortman in general) so people can raid it if they wish. For PvP, Azelf isn't remotely useful.

Then there's Mesprit which is completely useless, and Uxie who is another Deoxys-D / Cresselia and of course inferior to both of them in PvP. People are just sick of the Lake Trio in general and I'm just sad they were in raids in the first place.

Sidenote: Garchomp quite literally puts Dragonite out of a job bc it's the better Dragon-type (better DPS * TDO than Dnite, though not by a lot) and also doubles as a Ground-type, which it should be doing anyways if you have a team of Dragons as it is. Earth Power Chomp should also be the best Ground-type if we ever get that for Community Day. That being said, it IS a new addition so if you don't have a Ray / Outrage Mence team, Dnite still works, though it is undesirable for many duos / trio attempts where those 2 are king because it trails behind in damage - I say that as someone with 6 L40 Outrage Dnite who don't see use anymore. For PvP, refer to what PsychicAcademic said.

To be honest, I myself am disinterested even in soloing raids now, maybe because I'm under campus' thesis threat. But still, yeah, I find myself rarely using Psychics anymore, aside of SB M2 for quick damage on Psychics like Uxie and upcoming Cresselia. I already have whole cohort of Machamp either, so I don't feel like raiding anymore Machamp.

Anyway, I concluded my local TSR Arena's Nightmare Cup... rather poorly. 3 wins, 2 losses. My game lagged, and I made poor move like throwing Blaziken in front of Exegutor which murdered him quick. I had too much console to auto-pilot....

Last edited:
PsychicAcademic I was replying to the Dragonite v Garchomp talk, sorry for not adressing it properly
What I mean is that Dragonite's superior PvP moveset makes it somewhat usable for Master League, but its Flying-type is only useful against GDon

In the announcement for Cresselia, Kyogre and Groudon, it says: "Legendary Pokémon only appear when the time is right. This must be fate."

Bigger meaning (special moves?) or just fun banter?

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.

Lets see, Dragonite can take on Palkia with Water moves better, and has more resistances - so bulk is relative to its type and not just raw stats (I.e. Steel types with less than ideal defenses can be better defensively and with TDO than others with better HP and/or Defense that take more neutral hits - especially after the recent Type-effectiveness changes).

In your post you said the opponent can just switch to Mamoswine if I use a Defender Dragonite, which actually brings up a great point, both relative to my recent point on Type-Effectiveness above and being “outclassed”. Can’t Mamoswine do a better job against most Dragons than Garchomp?
Ice can hit Dragonite, Salamence, Rayquaza, and even opposing Garchomp much harder than Garchomp itself, while also doubling down as a Ground Attacker, without a weakness to Dragon moves (making it harder for Garchomp to even stay in long enough even if it also dealt 4x effectiveness).

Same goes for Zapdos, and others like Dialga- whose Dragon moves deal more damage than its Steel moves.

Has Mamoswine already surpassed Garchomp before it even debuted? Yes when facing most dual-typed Dragons, and while Garchomp will be outdone by Precipice Blades Groudon, we know as of now that Kyurem cannot surpass Mamoswine because it lacks a currently available Fast-Ice Move.

Mamoswine is Future proof, Garchomp is not. And since Precipice Blades is already in the game master file as the best Ground move (Earth Power included), I think it’s Ground days are numbered - especially as Groudon also has higher bulk for TDO and DPS.

Ice is a better offensive type than Dragon, so while Garchomp may have stronger Ground moves, Mamoswine will overall surpass it in many matchups against Dragons.

Regardless, Dragonite can take Latios with Solar Beam, and other specific movesets better like Water Move Palkia. And as I mentioned for my Dragonite Raid, Rayquaza is unable to take as many hits and that means it doesn’t strictly outclass Dragonite (I.e. Fast Dragon moves still take a chunk out of Rayquaza).

So is Dragonite better than Garchomp - Yes in specific match-ups, yes in terms of Dragon move options (Dragon Breathe, Draco Meteor, Dragon Claw), and yes in terms of direct availability.

And no, Dragonite will still do better in raids if it has a Dual Dragon moveset such as Dragon Claw and Outrage to score additional hits, where it could have enough energy for Dragon Claw while Garchomp wouldn’t have enough for Outrage before fainting, or Dragon Breathe for more fast Damage and energy. Let’s focus on 2 Charge moves since you said Garchomp can be a Rhyperior and Dragonite in one. Without a second Dragon move, it cannot secure hits as much as Dragonite, as Garchomp has only Ground moves as another STAB option, which we all know doesn’t hurt Flying types much - like Dragonite in the raid I mentioned.

Garchomp will be better for when Megas are released and depending on future moveset changes.
Legacy moves on my Dragonites make them quite optimal for a variety of situations.
————
For PvP these will fluctuate more, but it largely depends on what you are facing since unlike Raids and Gyms, you don’t know what your opponent has, plus for breaking Shields Dragon Claw is much more helpful than Outrage. Only Latios has better Attack with Dragon Claw.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
In the announcement for Cresselia, Kyogre and Groudon, it says: "Legendary Pokémon only appear when the time is right. This must be fate."

Bigger meaning (special moves?) or just fun banter?
Don't think it's special moves per se, but the text for all 3 also point to a hint:

Features

• If the workings of the cosmos are in your favor, you may encounter a Shiny Cresselia!
Features

• Fortune favors the bold—you may encounter a Shiny Kyogre!
Features

• Keep persevering, Trainer—you may encounter a Shiny Groudon!
Speculation among my locals has been that it could imply the release of something like Jirachi leading up to it - it's probably a stretch but this is deliberate wording by Niantic so there's something happening there. On the off-chance it's just colorful wording, that's cool too, but it seems bizarre when they've never done this.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
To tie-in with the newly announced Pokémon Sleep, Go is hosting a Snorlax Event for a week:

Date + Time: Tuesday, May 28, 2019, at 6 p.m. to Monday, June 3, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)
  • Trainers will have the chance to encounter Snorlax snoozing in the wild.
  • Once caught, Snorlax will be awake and ready for battle as usual.
  • Remember to take a photo during your encounter as Snorlax will only be asleep during your encounter!
  • Snorlax caught during the event will know the exclusive event move Yawn.
And that's it. I wrote some caveats about Sleeping Snorlax that separate it from regular Snorlax when you encounter it:
  1. It takes exactly 3 Poke Balls to catch, and it is a guaranteed catch on Poke Ball #3. Don't waste extra resources on it.
  2. You can only berry it once, and any further berries will give you an error. Just use a Pinap Berry to get candies because the other berries are useless on it. You can berry it on ANY of the Poke Balls you throw, the bonus will stick at the end.
  3. As said in the news post, it comes with the move Yawn and will "wake up" once it's in your storage. Yawn is useless and only for collection purposes, don't bother aside from that.
  4. Presumed, but it probably doesn't flee.
  5. Since the first 2 throws are scripted to fail, these throws will not count towards quests that have to do with throws (e.g. "Make 3 Nice Throws" will only count the throw that catches Snorlax and ignore the first 2.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)