Pokémon GO

I'm really curious how this is going to work out. Really interested how we're actually going to experience this. I mean, the videos are nice and stuff but we're never going to experience it like that.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
The third best-selling game on the 3DS, yeah... but people who actually have 3DSes are, in my experience, few and far between. In addition XY has sold worse than literally every other generation and it is not nearly the media monster it was years ago. I'm not gonna make a serious argument out of this because it's very arbitrary and subjective depending upon location, I just don't realistically see a situation where two people who have never met are on the street and go "oh hey, you have that pokemon app too, let's trade and battle" outside of Japan.
I'm not sure where you are from, but I somehow think you feel like British.
Having lived in the UK before, I'd say that Pokemon had never been too popular in the UK at all, and that British people aren't as open as USA people when it comes to modern Japanese stuff (video games and anime)

Compared to the British, Americans seem to embrace Pokemon a lot more than them. From Youtube channels, I assume that Pokemon is still very popular in USA.

Besides, you may not see that it's popular because you are female. As most Pokemon players are male, (I think it's around 7:1 in ratio) that's probably why you might not have a lot of friends who play Pokemon.

So I don't think you should be too pessimistic about it.

I'm not sure where you are from, but I somehow think you feel like British.
Having lived in the UK before, I'd say that Pokemon had never been too popular in the UK at all, and that British people aren't as open as USA people when it comes to modern Japanese stuff (video games and anime)

Compared to the British, Americans seem to embrace Pokemon a lot more than them. From Youtube channels, I assume that Pokemon is still very popular in USA.

Besides, you may not see that it's popular because you are female. As most Pokemon players are male, (I think it's around 7:1 in ratio) that's probably why you might not have a lot of friends who play Pokemon.

So I don't think you should be too pessimistic about it.
Can confirm. I even have anecdotal proof. I live in The Netherlands and I travel by train almost every day. When traveling, I often play Pokémon games. People who see me playing sometimes actually approach me to play with me, or just to talk to me about Pokémon. I once traded with a random girl in the train who even gave me her phone number.

But yeah, people here are really accepting and willing to embrace. And it's not only in The Netherlands. I often visit neighbor countries like Belgium, Germany and France, and even there people do this. People like that restore a bit of faith in humanity that I seem to have lost all the time.

Last edited:
...this has been the top trending story on Facebook pretty much all day.
...but tomorrow there will be some terrible world tragedy and it will be forgotten as quickly as it spread.

The concept of it ("Finally, Pokemon in real life!") is something almost everyone has wanted for pretty much forever...
Is it? I may have wanted that when I was seven but now I much prefer being part of this civilised, "not real" Pokemon community. I don't think anyone wanted this yesterday, which makes me think people want this because they are being told they want it. People are so fickle. (Except for me. I'm just unbearably cynical.)

Can you honestly expect it to do worse than something like Flappy Bird?
Yes. Flappy Bird only got popular because PewDiePie got everyone talking about it. (Seriously, it had been released for a couple of weeks without anyone batting an eyelid, then Pewds got his hands on it and it went viral overnight.) This doesn't have that "LOL so random XD" factor to become a viral hit in that sense; if it does become a hit it will be because it is a legitimately good game.

itll be like free for your first 10 pokemon, pikachu 1 starter plus 8 (maybe less) of the 150, excluding legends.
u can trade them then obviously
then event programs for the app

snorlax on a bridge with its programming of laying, making a sound waving whatever, plus maybe 4 attacks, maybe only 1....

Snorlax program: 1$
Porygon program: 1$
Legendary Birds: 1$
Eevee: 1$
Mewtwo: 7$ amazing battle

something like that

battles will be basic, just whatever naturally wins u just watch it play out real basically
like mewtwo beats almost anything since theres no dark types ull watch a sequence of it fly around, throw shadow ball, KO

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
noobcubed you know I like you but you need to cut out the super nitpicky and pointless posts, especially considering I addressed all these things in my post and you decided to cut off the quote right before it for some reason.

...but tomorrow there will be some terrible world tragedy and it will be forgotten as quickly as it spread.
This was just one of a few examples, kinda silly to get hung up on this like it was the be-all end-all. But regardless, entertainment tends to stay in the public consciousness longer and generates more buzz than tragedies. Personally I spend most of my time thinking about and doing things I like and are interested in than focusing on negative things. When the next big blockbuster is announced, people tend to stay hyped for it up to release and not forget it is coming out. Not to mention they're not mutually exclusive, people can care about big issues and also care about the next big entertainment thing being released at the same time, unless you're saying everyone on Smogon doesn't care at all about any sort of "real" issues. (don't know why we're even arguing this)

Is it? I may have wanted that when I was seven but now I much prefer being part of this civilised, "not real" Pokemon community. I don't think anyone wanted this yesterday, which makes me think people want this because they are being told they want it. People are so fickle. (Except for me. I'm just unbearably cynical.)
People may not be demanding it, but now that it's here there's interest (which is undeniable). And like I said, with such a low barrier for entry, all it takes is a passing interest for it to be tried. Definitely think it's just you being overly cynical. And maybe overly paranoid about how people are going to replace reality with virtual reality (which is understandable considering how much we've blurred the line already). But this Pokemon game isn't going to be the thing to put it over the edge, it's just a fun idea that people will be into for a while and then forget about later.

Yes. Flappy Bird only got popular because PewDiePie got everyone talking about it. (Seriously, it had been released for a couple of weeks without anyone batting an eyelid, then Pewds got his hands on it and it went viral overnight.) This doesn't have that "LOL so random XD" factor to become a viral hit in that sense; if it does become a hit it will be because it is a legitimately good game.
I wasn't aware of PewDiePie influencing Flappy Bird's popularity (I don't watch him) but that makes sense. But like I said (right after you cut off my quote), I think this has enough novelty in its own way for it to be big, at least when it first comes out. What I'm kind of skeptical of how long it's going to last after that, I agree with you that its longevity will depend on how legitimately good it is.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
When I watched the trailer, the fact that it showcased only the original 151 Pokemon, along with the 2016 release date (aka, Pokemon's 20th Anniversary) makes me think that Pokemon Go is a call back to Red/Green/Blue and the original generation of fans that made Pokemon become a legendary franchise, without actually cramming another remake down our throats, which is a smart move in my opinion.

It looks pretty awesome on paper, but I am a little curious how well it'd work in practice. If the Pokemon locations are set like they were in the Google Maps April Fools event, then that would be pretty damn restrictive to those who don't really have the time and resources to travel everywhere every day.

Also, no one will want to hike through caves ever again. Haha

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I agree with others, this could be good, but a lot depends on how much they will sell out. How much will the DLC cost, and how will events be laid out? I mean, it's not far-fetched to imagine an event such as "Catch Ursaring! It will be available exclusively in WalMart stores all over the US between May 1st and June 15th! Go to your local WalMart to catch Ursaring! Not available elsewhere!". This would drive loads of players into WalMart stores, and thus be a rather valuable promotion for them. Okay, that's sort of what Nintendo has been doing with Toys'R'Us giveaways already, but this only benefits the few stores hosting the events and not necessarily the chain as a whole.

I also wonder how Pokémon will be distributed. In the trailer, it looked like the app identified Charizard's habitat as "highlands", would that mean you'd have to travel to some mountain to find it? (Hey, my country is pretty much mountains all over the place. Charizard everywhere!) Or are they randomly generated all over the place, regardless of geography? I think the former would be cool, encouraging players to utilize their local environment to find Pokémon for later global trade, but the possibility of generating headlines such as "Pokémon players hospitalized after long walk in desert - trying to find Garchomp" or "teen jumped a fence in national park in pursuit of virtual Pokémon - mauled by bear" could mean Nintendo would rather stay on the safe side. Randomly spawning Pokémon could also have some implications, especially in suburbia. People would be trespassing in search for Pokémon appearing in gardens. And don't even get me started on traffic hazards...

If I were to guess, some algorithm (or, heavens forbid, an underpaid intern) would assign a Pokémon to football-field-sized, publicly accessible areas. You could theoretically encounter the Pokémon anywhere within the area, and catch it wherever inside it too. That reduces the need for chasing them, and the risk of blindly running into traffic or something. I'm not sure how Ingress does this, but I'd imagine it works on a similar principle.

All in all, I'm a little excited, but cautious at this point. I feel like I need more information to form any solid opinions.

(also, I suspect the forecasted announcement of a new main series game in CoroCoro/Tokyo Game Show has been pushed back for a while by this - it doesn't make sense for a franchise to have two huge upcoming games sharing the media limelight at the same time)

I'm mostly worried about how this is really going to look. It looks great in the trailer, i'm hyped. But is it really going to look that great staring at a phone? How are the models going to line up properly on the ground? Will we be walking around to see a Gyrados stuck in a tree? I hope they will fix issues like that. And if the in-app purchases are pokeballs, this is going to suck.
Watching the trailer, the only numbers I noticed beneath Pokeballs seemed to be indicators of quantity, rather than a purchase price.

I doubt that we'd have to actually pay for things like pokeballs and potions. I'd be very surprised if there aren't going to be a few mini games that go with this, and those, or even battling, trading, or catching pokemon could be used to earn points which could be used to spend on items, if you didn't just straight up find them in the AR like you would a pokemon.

More than likely, or at least my most probable theory for real world expenses, will be to the requirement buy access to pokemon from each generation. I think the exclusive use of Gen I pokemon in the ad was a marketing ploy, but at the same time, it could indicate that we'll get Gen I to start with, and then we need to buy the other generations. I'm probably wrong, but that's the only reasonable explanation that I can think for a company that only has one only main series add-on with an active need for renewal, where that renewal is a simple five dollar annual subscription. Honestly, if it didn't seem like this was meant to be a multi-generational tool that required regular upkeep, like Bank, I would think that either Niantic, Android, or Apple were the root cause of the need for payment in the first place.

My thoughts on Pokemon Go, the trailer, and what to come:

I have to wonder if they'll make this like many games on the App Store where anyone can play it casually but competing will require a lot of purchasing. This business strategy has worked for games like Game of War, Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, etc, because it can both attracts players and make a lot of money. As to where the in-app purchases will come from, I don't know. Hopefully Gamefreak will be smart enough to keep a decent balance bewteen free and purchasable content like these games have.

I, for one, am optimistic about the extent of these in-app purchases, as Smash Bros has DLC but isn't too bad. Of course, I play it casually, but I haven't heard many complaints in general.

As graphics go, I doubt they'll be as sexy as the trailer makes them out to be, but anything that gets this kind of publicity will likely have a lot of effort put into these areas of the game. As long as we get something similar to the "real-world" stuff with Tornadus and Thundurus in BW2, I'll be satisfied.

I'm excited that GF is experimenting with this new style of gameplay and venturing into apps. If this works well I envision more apps and similar content that merge reality with Pokemon. We could even see this in other Nintendo games someday.

Lastly, I noticed a few things about the trailer. For one thing, all of the Pokemon they showed were gen 1. Perhaps this alludes to the 20-year anniversary? A new, innovative Pokemon game that rekindles the excitement and wonder of the series sounds like a great way to celebrate the game's success and bring it into a new era. This is supported by something else I found significant: look at the ages of the people in the trailer. They're all young adults... Around their early to mid twenties, to be specific. This clearly means something, as Pokemon (and often Nintendo) has generally been marketed towards a younger fan base. So why would young adults be shown in the trailer? Because they're the grown-up kids who played Pokemon Red and Blue, the first generation of kids to fall in love with the game. Of course, young adults are much more likely to have phones that can support Pokemon Go, so obviously they need to be marketed to. Then again, Gamefreak can just market to teens if they want to take that approach, so I stand by my theory that this game is a key part of the 20th anniversary.

I'm really hyped for this game, hopefully it becomes as exciting and innovative as Gamefreak intends.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In addition to battery life issues, I'm worried how much space on my phone the app will take up. I've already had to ditch NBA Jam and Card Wars (that Adventure Time one) coz they were like 300mb files and my measly 16gb iphone is already full to the brim, I constantly have to delete stuff if I want to add a new album or something haha. Will I have to do a total reshuffle just to keep this app on my phone?

In addition to battery life issues, I'm worried how much space on my phone the app will take up. I've already had to ditch NBA Jam and Card Wars (that Adventure Time one) coz they were like 300mb files and my measly 16gb iphone is already full to the brim, I constantly have to delete stuff if I want to add a new album or something haha. Will I have to do a total reshuffle just to keep this app on my phone?
I don't think it'll use up too much storage but you never know. Most apps like this start out not using a lot, but eventually grow to take up a ton of storage. For example, when I played Pokemon Platinum it saved quickly at first because I had less progress on it. 450 hours into the game, it takes forever to save things. It may just depend on how much progress you have in the game.

I recommend getting an app like Battery Doctor (it's free) or something similar; it's great for getting rid of data you don't need and helps conserve battery life and storage. My friend used it to get from 400 megabytes of storage left on his iPhone 4 to over 800.

Hope that helps :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
SO, with their being a lot of things to talk about let me do it via commentary of the trailer: (to make things easy my serious observations will have the timestamp marked in red)

0:03-0:13: Dun... dun... dun... DUN DUN!
0:24:
Pokemon in the real world? Well that sounds... horrifying! In the game the Pokemon society is essentially a utopia with the periodical mad men/extremist group who thinks they can use Pokemon to take over yet easily stopped by a kid, but real life? In real life we have wars, dictators & tyrants, corruption, and people suffering around the world. And now you want to throw in elemental monsters that does their master's bidding? I want to live IN the Pokemon World, I don't want Pokemon to in real life!
0:26-0:40: Okay, enough joking around, for now. So looks like how this whole thing will work is that your app will come up with an alert that there's a "wild" Pokemon and will tell you how far away it is, in what direction, and show you a silhouette of it. The app seems to take in mind where you are currently so there may or may not be Pokemon for specific parts of the world. Sounds neat in concept, making you feel like an actual trainer looking or Pokemon, but I have concerns.
First if we don't like the Pokemon can we refresh for a different one? Is it random chance if there's a Pokemon in the are or do we get a certain amount of "guaranteed" encounters each day? If the latter, are they going to provide us a way to get more encounters (they mentioned did in-game purchases... (which I'll get to))? And if we can pay for more encounters that dangerously enters into "pay-to-win" territory.
Second, while going to where there's a Pokemon sounds fun, what if the way is blocked off? Or to get to the place I have to possibly do something dangerous like cross a river or climb up someplace high? It's be kind of unfair to tell me I need to toss away the encounter and try again (especially if we only get a limited amount each day) after having spent some time looking for where the Pokemon is (and if I had spent money to get this encounter I'd probably be a bit more angry). I've looked up articles about Niantic's Ingress and there are reports of people having been arrested for trespassing. And that's just to tag a portal, what lengths would someone go to if the goal was to catch a Pokemon?
Third and finally, if location is going to be a factor than the game might be a bit imbalanced. Simply put people want some Pokemon more than other's and I imagine it could be frustrating trying to get a certain Pokemon. We'll soon see there looks to be trading but how far will the trading go?
0:47-0:50: So items are in the game so I guess it's time to talk about the in-game purchase speculation. My guess how it would work is that Pokedollars would be in the game. There's probably a PokeMart built-in (they can joke it's a free delivery service so you don't actually have to go someplace or they just teleport you the product) where you can spend your Pokedollars for Pokeball, Potions, and Honey (from what I've seen). So, how will we get Pokedollars? Well there's probably a "free" way to generate it like we get a small amount each day/waiting a certain amount of time/maybe after walking a certain distance. Being there's also battling with other trainers maybe you get money that way, winner gets a nice chunk while loser probably gets a small amount if anything (though it would suck if the loser actually would have to pay, if they need to justify it they can say there's a virtual audience watching battles who tosses money at them). Also wouldn't be surprised if maybe catching a Pokemon earns a little bit of revenue. HOWEVER this will be chump change as the way to get the most Pokedollars would be real money transactions. Maybe 1 buck equals 1000 Pokedollars, I'm sure they'll have it figured out how much people would be willing to pay. However there's probably more you can do with Pokedollars than just buy items, like maybe forcing/getting an extra encounter or possibly buying the ability to catch a certain Pokemon you wouldn't normally be able to in the area you live. That said I don't they'll charge you for expansions which I'll get into.
As for the items, they too bring up questions:
Pokeballs are obvious, you gotta catch the Pokemon with something. We see the usual Pokeballs, Great Balls, and Ultra Balls. While I imagine those always being in stock (appropriately priced of course), I do wonder if maybe they'll have some of the special Pokeballs like limited time offer things. And of course what about Master Balls, I'm guessing they might be prizes for events?
Potions are also obvious though it does raise some questions like is there a way to heal your Pokemon for free or do you need to use potions? Like can you ship your Pokemon to a Pokemon Center which will heal it for free but it'll take some time compared to using potions which costs money? Will it just be the normal potions or will we have stuff like Moo Moo Milk, Fresh Water, Soda Pop, Lemonade, etc.? What about the status healing items and their variations? Should we even go into the vitamins and Rare Candy?
Honey is in the game so there's more to get than just Pokeballs and potions. Honey makes sense as it helps make encountering Pokemon easier (maybe this is the way you get force/get extra encounters?), but what about other items? Will we have hold items to power-up our Pokemon when they battle?
And here's a few other factors concerning items: Can we find some randomly on the ground like in the games? Will we be able to sell any extra items we get (and if so would the selling fodder items like Gold Nuggets be in)? Would we be able to trade items like we'd be able to trade Pokemon?
0:52-0:59: Wow, it was pretty easy to catch them, especially that Charizard. So is that all you can do to wild Pokemon, throw Pokeballs at them? Can you battle them, because that's what you have to do most of the time in the game. Though once again it would get annoying if you spent real money on Pokeballs only for the Pokemon you catch to be stubborn and not catching. In the games if you felt you wasted your money you can just reset, but I doubt you can do that in real life. And if you can battle them, what happens when you knock them out? Do you lose the encounter like in the game? Once again if you spent money on the encounter like getting it or items used in it that would suck.
1:04: Wait, the lady is with the guy & the kid? Where were they again... according to their location tags the lady was at Chateau de Murol in France and the guy & kid was at Banne D'ordanche, Murat Le Quaire which is also in France. Okay, at least their in the same country but according to Google Maps these locations are still an hour drive from one another. Why do I bring this up?
1:07-1:15: Trading! Are trades only local? THAT'S GOING TO SUCK (if that's true)! I hope there's a GTS because if Pokemon are location specific that's probably going to be frustrating enough for some people who can't get to certain areas easily, but if the only way to trade is via local then a lot of people are going to be stuck only having access to a few Pokemon. And even if there is GTS, as I said, some Pokemon are more wanted than others. Some people are going to get lucky by having a chance to catch rare Pokemon and ask for anything they want while some people may have to "paper clip trade" their way up to get a Pokemon they want.
Also, it looks like we only have the Gen I Pokemon. I guess that makes sense, doing all the Pokemon at once would be a huge undertaking and they'd rather see if the game is successful before doing the rest. I imagine future gen expansions would be free (otherwise F#$% YOU!) but will take time to develop as they need to make the model and plan where they'll be placed around the world (I'm going to guess they're just going to classify locations as a type of area (city, highlands, plains, forest, etc.) so placing Pokemon would be much easier. But that said they may decide some specific location would have special Pokemon (can you imagine Vivillon in the game?)). Also what about the cross generation evolution for the Gen I Pokemon? Will we be able to breed our Pokemon?
1:16-1:26: Oh, that poor Snorlax! You need a Pokeflute to wake it up so you can have a fair battle you bit... wait, the Snorlax is owned? WHAT A JERK! You left your Snorlax sleeping in the middle of a BRIDGE?! I feel sorry for that Snorlax but that guy deserve what he get!
1:37-1:50: So it looks like you'll be able to battle with multiple people at a time. So how would that work? How will you issue attack? Will Abilities be a factor? Hold items? What about stats, notably Speed?
Also the Pokemon have levels, can you get experience to level up your Pokemon? What about evolution, especially for those who don't evolve via levels but Evolution Stones and trading? Considering the next part how long would it take for your Pokemon to level up and is still the max level 100?
2:18: BECAUSE THAT'S F#$%EN FAIR! A mob of a few hundred people against one Pokemon, even if it is Mewtwo! I'm sure you all feel real proud of yourself. At least Mewtwo was defending himself fairly well in the beginning but he got cheap shot and from then on the Flying-type Pokemon pecked and air-bombed him to oblivion.
2:44: Anyway, so looks like they'll have these major boss battle events for the Legendaries (makes sense). They're timed I guess to add some rarity to the Legendaries though I still see some problems. First how do you catch it? Is it just the first person who defeats Mewtwo? Do they need to use a Pokeball or just defeat it? If you need a Pokeball what if you have a Master Ball or would Mewtwo deflect any Pokeballs until defeated? Also I would imagine Mewtwo be having tons of HP... except his Level is 70. Is that just to tell you what kind of Mewtwo you'll be getting or is he just a level 70 Mewtwo during the event as well? If so what if someone has a Pokemon trained up that high, wouldn't they probably be able to one-shot Mewtwo?
2:58-3:00: Illusion break? Is this what the app would actually look like? If it is than wow, did this trailer ever overblow this premise.

It's getting late so I'll add onto my thoughts and respond to some posts later. I just wanted to get some of the things I thought when watching the trailer posted.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay guys...

Just... Take a chill pill. We don't really know much about this at all. Posts like the above will be modded in the future, because the amount of questions (50 in fact), is just baiting people to speculate and assume stuff based off a trailer. It's alright to have questions, but try not to make entire paragraphs out of questions.

We have been given fairly little actual concrete information about whats contained in the game, and what the game is really about.

Pikachu315111 Ads/Trailers always make things better than they are rofl. That tiny last piece probably is what the app looks like. It will be nowhere near the level of immersion that is described in the video.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sorry about that, just I saw a ton of posts already and didn't want to be behind. I put my above post in a spoiler tag so it's not taking up the whole screen. Now that I'm not being pressed on time I had time to gather my thoughts a bit more so here's a more condensed and eliquate version of my points (I'll still put them in spoiler tags):

Display: As DHR-107 pointed out, I was taking things too much as face value (is it too much to hope one day there will be a trailer that won't lie?) and those last few seconds is what the app would actually look like. Okay, though its suppose to be augmented reality and that looks like a basic battling scene you'd see in the games. So already I have some confusion on how the wild encounters will work, basically I'm wondering will we see the Pokemon walking around in the real world location through our phone. Would be pretty neat, they sort of have something like that in Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance and somewhat in Pokemon ORAS with taking Contest photos (though sometimes the dimension would look off, they really didn't take the environment put in front of into account).
Catching: So from what I gathered you'll be alerted of a wild Pokemon by being told the direction its in, how far away, where your real world location is, and shown its silhouette (which kinds of ruins the surprise but I suppose done so if its a Pokemon you don't want you don't waste your time). A fun way to make you feel like a trainer looking for Pokemon but I do see some problems with this. I've read articles about Niantic's previous game, Ingress, and saw a few where people got arrested for trespassing (not to mention it could point you to someplace that is either blocked off or would be dangerous to get to). And depending on how they do wild encounters this could be frustrating, especially if you can spend money to force/get more wild encounters.
In-Game Purchases: With them showing items I'm guessing that's where most of the in-game purchases will go. I speculate they'll implement the PokeDollar mechanic similar to how most free-to-play games nowadays work: you can generate a little it of free money or can buy a whole batch of cash with real money. Now the danger of this is obviously it becoming pay-to-win, especially when it comes to catching rare Pokemon who like to pop out of Pokeballs. While in the games you can just reset and get back all your Pokeballs, in real life I don't think they'll have that option. But other then items I don't think they'll charge you for anything else maybe for getting more random encounters but they could also do that via items like with the Honey we saw one person have.
Battles/Levels/Experience: So we saw the typical one-on-one battle but they also seem to have "mob" battles where multiple people battle at once (and in real time it seems). If the mob battles are a thing they're going to have to be careful with that as I can see someone just hanging back, letting their opponent's weaken themselves, and coming in to take all the glory. Or I could also see people "teaming up" to take out one opponent at a time until either they get turned on or it becomes a one vs one fight. They'd also maybe need to rework how some Abilities and Moves work, though at least the Speed stat could represent the Pokemon's actual speed instead of turn order. And being Pokemon have levels I'm guessing they can also gain experience, though being this is meant to sort of reflect real life I'm curious if there is an experience system would it change so that you level up slower.
Healing: Now we saw one of the items are potions, so I'm wondering if they'll have a time vs. money trade off here. Like you can either buy potions for quick healing or you can send your Pokemon to the Pokemon Center but it'll take some time to heal them. It would make for a nice management challenge, figuring out when you should be using the Pokemon Center and decide if the situation calls for a potion; but I also feel that could be a beginner's trap where some would spend more money than they need to on potions.
Trading/Pokemon Distribution: Assuming there will be a GTS of sorts, I can see trading being both essential and frustrating. Looks like locations will be given a generic "type" like highlands as we saw. Pokemon distribution I imagine is going to be a big factor and if you want a certain Pokemon you better hope you live in or nearby a location type it lives in or you got to hope you can get a Pokemon someone who has that Pokemon wants. Now it only looks like they have the original 150 (151? Also wouldn't seem right to exclude the evolutions that were introduced in later gens) so while there isn't that many Pokemon if they want to add any sort of balance they may need to be a bit stingy with some Pokemon locations though not too stingy only a small group of people can get it. I'm assuming if this is successful they'll add in Pokemon from later generations (hopefully free because if they charge for it that would be Tauros mulch and very much go against the Pokemon principle).
Events: Having to mob battles against a Legendary is a cool idea though I can see some problems with it unless they change some things up. Like in the Mewtwo Event battle we saw the Mewtwo was Level 70. Now in the trailer it was battling a mob of Pokemon under its level so the idea of death by a thousand paper cuts easily applied but what if someone had a Pokemon around or above Level 70? And once again we have the scenario where someone can just lean back until they can swoop in for all the glory. Not getting into how catching a Legendary would work, I'm seeing a few major issues which I'm sure they know and are addressing but I feel are still worth mentioning as it could be a huge deciding factor.
Connecting With Main Series: Aside from being able to send Pokemon between the main series games and GO I have no idea what else they could do. Actually would they need to do anything else? Being able to send Pokemon to and from would be a lot more than what some other side games can do like Mystery Dungeon, Conquest, and Ranger.
Will I Be Getting It/Summary: Well no, mainly because I don't have a iPhone or Android. Also I'm not that extroverted, I mostly keep to myself in real life and don't travel anywhere different from modern urban environment, so I think my choices would be limited when it comes to catching, battling, trading, and events. In other words I don't think this game is made for me, which is fine. They perfectly plan on making more main series games, this is just a side project of their's to draw in the people (and their money) who have iPhones and Androids who either don't have a Nintendo handheld system, don't have time to play an RPG like Pokemon, or want a more indepth experience. There will probably be a few bumps in the road but what game series doesn't have that, they'll be able to pave them out with updates and DLC if they really focus on it. It's just I won't be a part of it, I may keep track of it but for the most part I prefer to get my fix on Pokemon by engrossing myself in the world that the games create rather then have the Pokemon come into my world.

There, that looks much neater and shorter. Sorry if its still a long read, but I'll make it up by waiting till tomorrow to respond to a few posts I have something to say about. For now I'll leave you with joke made by Square Enix, who you may recall have a game series themselves which ends with "GO" which includes Hitman GO and Lara Croft GO:

"GO" is a popular word for mobile games (coming from the phrase "on the go") so I don't think Pokemon GO has to worry about any lawsuits about the name, though had they named it iPokemon that would be a different story (yes, Apple actually trademarked placing a lowercase "i" in front of words *sigh*).

(also, I suspect the forecasted announcement of a new main series game in CoroCoro/Tokyo Game Show has been pushed back for a while by this - it doesn't make sense for a franchise to have two huge upcoming games sharing the media limelight at the same time)
;)

In all seriousness though, as I see it Pokemon Go hype has pretty much already died down. As I suspected all along it captured the passing interest of genwunners with fond memories but no deep attachment to the franchise, in more of a "hey that's cool" way than an "OMG best thing evar" way.

;)

In all seriousness though, as I see it Pokemon Go hype has pretty much already died down. As I suspected all along it captured the passing interest of genwunners with fond memories but no deep attachment to the franchise, in more of a "hey that's cool" way than an "OMG best thing evar" way.
Well to be fair, that was to get the info out about it existing first. As of now, there's no real information for Pokemon fans or general game fans to actually gravitate towards, which I feel like they should have ready at or close to that reveal trailer.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
;)

Marketing it towards genwunners is a clever move, I think.
Because then you'll have Go and Z targeting at a rather different audience, instead of letting your one group of audience having a hard time deciding which one to focus on.
Otherwise, releasing information of these 2 games at about the same time, would be a very bad move in marketing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Marketing it towards genwunners is a clever move, I think.
Because then you'll have Go and Z targeting at a rather different audience, instead of letting your one group of audience having a hard time deciding which one to focus on.
Otherwise, releasing information of these 2 games at about the same time, would be a very bad move in marketing.
And that makes sense. Kids who grew up during Gen I would be the ones to have iPhones and Androids and be able to travel around. Meanwhile a kid who has to get permission to go to the park a few blocks away would most likely have a 3DS. While there are kids with iPhones/Androids I think it's safe to assume this game is made for those who are able to travel around.

Genwun craze or not, I hope to GAWD that Niantic is looking for beta testers from all over to test their networking and geo-locating features. Y'know, in the name of seeing new developments in AR tech, totally not because I want to live a childhood fantasy that involves scouring the nearby greenery in my neighborhood.

-cries softly-

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Genwun craze or not, I hope to GAWD that Niantic is looking for beta testers from all over to test their networking and geo-locating features. Y'know, in the name of seeing new developments in AR tech, totally not because I want to live a childhood fantasy that involves scouring the nearby greenery in my neighborhood.

-cries softly-
They said they'll be having a closed beta this Winter but no further detail we given.

That reminds me, I wonder if the time of day and seasons would effect when certain Pokemon appear.

...I know. I'm saying that, within their closed beta, I hope the testers they sign on aren't going to just be holed up in California.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
...I know. I'm saying that, within their closed beta, I hope the testers they sign on aren't going to just be holed up in California.
I'm going to assume they'll be doing beta testing within the major cities and maybe certain locations with different kind of terrains. I'm going to assume one of the biggest thing they'll want to test is the Pokemon distribution to see what Pokemon they made too common/rare.

Assuming we will only get Generation I Pokemon in GO due to pandering, which Pokemon would you guys want to catch as your bro that is Generation I?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)