Pokémon GO

Initial details about Ultra Bonus have been released, more to come on August 20th:

Professor Willow’s Global Challenge Ultra Bonus Unlock

Congratulations, Trainers! With all your hard work in successfully completing Spark’s, Blanche’s, and Candela’s challenges, you’ve unlocked the Ultra Bonus. We’re excited to announce that this year, you’ll have three weeks of bonuses!

While we can’t share all the details yet, we’d like to give you the dates for when the bonuses will arrive. Trainers can expect exciting Pokémon in Eggs and raids, as well as a special bonus each week!

Week 1

September 2, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT to September 9, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT

Trainers can enjoy a chance to work on their Johto Pokédex while exploring and raiding. Put on your walking shoes, as Pokémon never before seen in Eggs in Pokémon GO will be hatching during this time.

Week 2

September 9, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT to September 16, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT

Pokémon from across the globe will join in the celebration this week, along with a special appearance by a Mythical Pokémon that will be available to challenge in raids.

Week 3

September 16, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT to September 23, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT

Unusual Pokémon will be appearing in the wild during this week. Noteworthy opponents are coming to raids, too. Over the course of the event, you may also be able to add some Pokémon to your Kanto Pokédex that previously eluded you in your part of the world. Venture out to take on challenges and make discoveries. As always, happy exploring, Trainers!

Stay tuned for more details on August 20!

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/7whsjc
Catching Chimecho has always given 1,000 Stardust.
Multiply that by 3 for the event = 3,000
Multiply that by 25% for the Weather Boost and you have 3,750
Add the 7 Day Bonus + 3,000
Multiply the Bonus by the event = 9,000

Total of the Weather Boosted Catch with the 7 Day Bonus = 12,750
Multiply that by the Stardust Piece = 19,125

Moral of the story, always catch Chimeco.

Also, while Body Slam is the best Defensive move on Normals (neutral hits), offensively Return is better:
https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon/143

Snorlax has a new option for Offense. Not that you need it for that, but it’s something of note, if not for just having something exclusive that isn’t legacy.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Took me too long to notice this about the Ultra Bonus announcement, but:

Week 3

September 16, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT to September 23, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT

Unusual Pokémon will be appearing in the wild during this week. Noteworthy opponents are coming to raids, too. Over the course of the event, you may also be able to add some Pokémon to your Kanto Pokédex that previously eluded you in your part of the world. Venture out to take on challenges and make discoveries. As always, happy exploring, Trainers!

Stay tuned for more details on August 20!
Since the first letter of each sentence spells out UNOVA, we can reasonably assume Gen V releases officially this week.

I had a theory before reading this, but now I consider it more likely: Week 2's Mythical could potentially be Victini to tie into the Unova release. Few things align here, such as it being the first Unovan Pokémon by dex # and it being associated with winning / victory which makes it the more of a "fit" for raids than the other base 100 pixies. Even if it doesn't happen, we're a month away from a Gen V release!

Next event: Water Festival

Dive into Water Festival 2019!

Pokémon GO
Trainers,

Time to make a big splash! Even if you don’t live near the water, you can look forward to Water-type Pokémon coming to you soon in Eggs, raids, Field Research, and the wild.
That’s right—the long-awaited Water Festival is back!

Date + Time
  • Friday, August 23, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT until Friday, August 30, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT
Features
  • Water-type Pokémon like Magikarp, Wooper, Wailmer, and more will appear more frequently in the wild.
  • The following Pokémon will be appearing more frequently in the wild around water: Wartortle, Poliwhirl, Seaking, Lapras, Qwilfish, Mantine, Lotad, Feebas, Piplup, Buizel, and Finneon.
  • Water-type Pokémon will hatch more often from Eggs.
  • Kingler and Crawdaunt will be able to learn Crabhammer, a Water-type Charged Attack that is newly available in Pokémon GO.
  • If you manage to surf the waves of luck, you might encounter Shiny Carvanha or Shiny Barboach!
Raids
  • Water-type Pokémon like Blastoise, Vaporeon, Lapras, and more will appear in raids.
  • On Wednesday, August 28, 2019, from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. local time, you’ll be able to encounter Uxie, Mesprit, or Azelf in five-star raids in their respective regions!
Bonuses
  • 2× Hatch Candy
  • If you have a Water-type Pokémon as your Buddy, the distance to earn Buddy Candy will be halved.
There’s no need to swim or use a fishing rod to encounter these Pokémon, Trainer. All you have to do is get up and GO!

—The Pokémon GO team

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Good time to buddy a magikarp or wailmer I suppose during the water event. I know from past water event experiences that rarer pokemon such as Lapras don't always show up (thinking ahead similarly for earth day with gible).

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Good time to buddy a magikarp or wailmer I suppose during the water event. I know from past water event experiences that rarer pokemon such as Lapras don't always show up (thinking ahead similarly for earth day with gible).
Another option might be Kyogre or Palkia, as they are likely the best / most secure Water-types except for future Ash-Greninja and Swampert-Mega.

10 KM now seems much easier for their candy, considering we already walk that for 10 KM eggs.

Although, I am curious to see how good Crab Hammer is...

737373elj

Banned deucer.
I've yet to fail a single Rocket challenge, though I also have yet to see Snorlax among them, lol. My CD Tyranitar alone soloes a lot of the time and it's only at 2465CP; the others are an Ice Mamoswine and Flying Rayquaza. I should probably pack a Machamp for when the snorlax reckoning does come...
Double Ttar fully pumped with SD and Stone Edge is a bear guranteed kill for everything. I usually use one most of the time. Yes, this takes care of Snorlax too.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Ultra Bonus is here! Big post, so here's the tl;dr:

1) Johto Week

September 2, 2019, at 1 p.m. to September 9, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT

• If you’re extraordinarily lucky, you might hatch Unown forms U, L, T, R, and A from 10 km Eggs.
  • Raikou, Entei, and Suicune will return to raids, along with other Johto Pokémon.
  • If you’re lucky, you might encounter Shiny Sentret and Shiny Gligar!
2) Regional + Deoxys Week

September 9, 2019, at 1 p.m. to September 16, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT

• Regional Pokémon Farfetch’d, Kangaskhan, Mr. Mime, and Tauros will hatch from 7 km Eggs. If you’re lucky, you might hatch Shiny ones! These Pokémon will remain available from Eggs until the end of week 3—September 23, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT.
  • All Deoxys forms will make their first appearances outside EX Raids.
  • Need a good team to take on Deoxys? Other Pokémon appearing in raids will help you build a good team to challenge the DNA Pokémon.
3) Unova Week

September 16, 2019, at 1 p.m. to September 23, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT
  • Mewtwo with the special move Psystrike will be available to challenge in five-star raids. If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Mewtwo!
  • Need a good team to take on Mewtwo? Other Pokémon appearing in raids will help you build a good team to challenge the Genetic Pokémon.
  • The Gear Pokémon Klink, originally discovered in Unova, will also appear in raids. You might even encounter a Shiny Klink!
  • You may also find Shiny Patrat and Shiny Lillipup!
All of these also have 2x Incubator effectiveness tacked on to them.

Finally, Jirachi research is live for everyone.

Hi there,
The Jirachi Research has a task for adding 3 new friends, and I was hoping someone here could help me out.
I now live in a rural area, so unfortunately I can't promise a whole lot of consistent gift giving, but I'd really appreciate it if you guys could add me anyway!
My trainer code is 3924 3706 2611.
Thanks a ton! I really want those elemental lure modules so I can fill in my Pokedex (Jirachi would be nice too, but I'm going to guess the next stage requirements will take a quite a while for a casual player in a less populated area).

Hi there,
The Jirachi Research has a task for adding 3 new friends, and I was hoping someone here could help me out.
I now live in a rural area, so unfortunately I can't promise a whole lot of consistent gift giving, but I'd really appreciate it if you guys could add me anyway!
Thanks a ton! I really want those elemental lure modules so I can fill in my Pokedex (Jirachi would be nice too, but I'm going to guess the next stage requirements will take a quite a while for a casual player in a less populated area).
Hey I've added you, and I think you accepted.

Some of these tasks are going to be pretty annoying to finish: catching 50 psychic or steel Pokemon, beating another trainer 7 times etc.

EDIT: So for the beating another trainer 7 times one, can I get some battle buddies?

Last edited:

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Ultra Bonus is here! Big post, so here's the tl;dr:

1) Johto Week

September 2, 2019, at 1 p.m. to September 9, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT

• If you’re extraordinarily lucky, you might hatch Unown forms U, L, T, R, and A from 10 km Eggs.
  • Raikou, Entei, and Suicune will return to raids, along with other Johto Pokémon.
  • If you’re lucky, you might encounter Shiny Sentret and Shiny Gligar!
2) Regional + Deoxys Week

September 9, 2019, at 1 p.m. to September 16, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT

• Regional Pokémon Farfetch’d, Kangaskhan, Mr. Mime, and Tauros will hatch from 7 km Eggs. If you’re lucky, you might hatch Shiny ones! These Pokémon will remain available from Eggs until the end of week 3—September 23, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT.
  • All Deoxys forms will make their first appearances outside EX Raids.
  • Need a good team to take on Deoxys? Other Pokémon appearing in raids will help you build a good team to challenge the DNA Pokémon.
3) Unova Week

September 16, 2019, at 1 p.m. to September 23, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT
  • Mewtwo with the special move Psystrike will be available to challenge in five-star raids. If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Mewtwo!
  • Need a good team to take on Mewtwo? Other Pokémon appearing in raids will help you build a good team to challenge the Genetic Pokémon.
  • The Gear Pokémon Klink, originally discovered in Unova, will also appear in raids. You might even encounter a Shiny Klink!
  • You may also find Shiny Patrat and Shiny Lillipup!
All of these also have 2x Incubator effectiveness tacked on to them.

Finally, Jirachi research is live for everyone.
Only problem with all these shinies means it’s too much for people to catch. I’ll be doing it slowly... too much to go shiny hunt for. Only ones I’ll be hunting will be Mewtwo...

Crazy: got three curved excellents today: Lopunny, Purugly, Magikarp.
Not crazy: I wasn't on the "Throw 3 curved excellents" part of the research yet.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
All you gotta do is get a Rayquaza encounter, set up the reticle, and you're good to go. At least it's not 3 curve excellents in a row.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Btw, are we expecting any Unova Pokemon to require the lure modules to evolve? If so, I’ll be saving mine for now.
No, but on that note, Chrales found an Unova Stone in the network traffic (among other things like a buddy system overhaul and a competitive matchmaking system). No one's ever been a fan of the evolutionary items in Go, but the Unova Stone seems like the most misplaced of the bunch. Fire / Water / Leaf / Sun Stone evos like Pansage, Panpour, Panpour, Petilil and Cottonee don't make much sense because we either have tons of things that evolve without the need for a stone (e.g. the Eeveelutions, Exeggcute, Growlithe, etc.) or have the stone coded in. Then you have things like Hydreigon or Volcarona who could "justify" the stone because they evolve late / are important Pokémon, but really? Oddball cases like Eelektrik or Shelmet/Karrablast don't necessarily have to go this route, but could use it. Then there's the likes of Minccino and Lampent, who DO evolve by stone, but those stones were introduced in Gen 4 - Mismagius, Honchkrow, Togekiss, Roserade, etc. all evolve through the Sinnoh Stone, so the likes of those evolving by Unova Stone seems likely. However, why introduce a stone for less than a handful of Pokémon?

In either case, the speculation over why we need an Unova Stone given the lack of suitable criteria is starting to show and will be argued until Unova starts releasing.

Hi there,
Also looking for friends! My code is 5724 8867 1953.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
I think those'd be good candidates for an Unova Stone, because evo trading has not been a thing in GO and why would they start now?
While that's true, the new APK has strings regarding this: "NoCandyCostViaTrade", "showZeroCandy", "PokémonInfoPanelTradeEvolveButton", which implies there's either going to be a revamp in evolving trade evolutions, or the Unovans will utilize it in some form. Plus, Shelmet/Karrablast are a very unique trade evo case anyways.

Made a slight error today catching my Research Breakthrough Latios even though I knew I needed 400m to advance to the next part of Jirachi, ie the part where catching 50 psychic or steel type Pokemon is a task. Only managed to catch a single Ralts, but I’ll open my Meltan box later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)