Pokémon GO

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The January one has far less stringent requirements for a pretty positive payout at the end. I don't mind it sticking around for a while.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
3 months of Team Rocket research for the 3 legendary birds seems like enough, am glad they shortened some of the stuff in step 2 but this month has been challenging for me especially with going through over a dozen decoy grunts then finally finding Giovanni outside in way below freezing conditions that had I been out longer I'd risk frostbite so this definitely needs a break.

Reactions: Ivy

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
3 months of Team Rocket research for the 3 legendary birds seems like enough, am glad they shortened some of the stuff in step 2 but this month has been challenging for me especially with going through over a dozen decoy grunts then finally finding Giovanni outside in way below freezing conditions that had I been out longer I'd risk frostbite so this definitely needs a break.
Only 17 months to go for the Giovanni outfit and gold medal :) Keep it up old sport!

Year of the Rat event is here!

Year of the Rat: Celebrate Lunar New Year with red Pokémon and Minccino Limited Research

Pokémon GO
Trainers,

Happy Lunar New Year! The Pokémon GO Lunar New Year event is happening once again, spotlighting various red Pokémon and, in celebration of the Year of the Rat, a Limited Research event featuring Minccino, the Chinchilla Pokémon. Take a look at the details below..

Pokémon GO Lunar New Year Event

It’s time to welcome in the new lunar cycle with red Pokémon appearing more frequently in the wild, lucky bonuses, and the appearance of a Pokémon not previously found in Pokémon GO: Darumaka!

Date + Time

Friday, January 24, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, February 3, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)

Features
  • Certain red Pokémon will be featured. Charmeleon, Vulpix, Parasect, Voltorb, Jynx, Magmar, Magikarp, Flareon, Slugma, Wurmple, Corphish, Kricketot, and Foongus will appear more frequently in the wild!
  • Gyashaa! If you’re lucky, you might spot a Gyarados in the wild. Will you be lucky enough to encounter the coveted red Shiny Gyarados?
  • Darumaka will hatch from 7 km Eggs. Some red Pokémon will be hatching from 7 km Eggs, such as Shuckle and Foongus. Making its Pokémon GO debut will be Darumaka, the Zen Charm Pokémon!
Bonuses
  • Gifts will have a chance of rewarding you with Rare Candies, so be sure to send and open lots of Gifts with your friends.
  • Be sure to trade more often with your friends—the likelihood of becoming Lucky Friends will be increased.
  • When you trade a Pokémon, there will be an increased chance it will become a Lucky Pokémon.
Minccino Limited Research

In celebration of the Year of the Rat, Minccino, the Chinchilla Pokémon, will be appearing in Pokémon GO for a special Limited Research event. Professor Willow has also uncovered that Minccino can evolve into Cinccino through use of a Unova Stone!

Date + Time

Sunday, February 2, 2020, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time

Features
  • Field Research: Minccino Limited Research tasks will allow you to encounter Minccino.
  • Pokémon that fit the theme of the Year of the Rat will be appearing more frequently in the wild. Look out for Rattata, Raticate, Pikachu, Sandshrew, Nidoran♀, Nidoran♂, Sentret, Marill, Zigzagoon, Plusle, Minun, Bidoof, and Patrat.
  • Minccino in 5 km Eggs: Minccino will be hatching more frequently from 5 km Eggs. After the event ends, Minccino will continue to be available in 5 km Eggs.
  • Shiny Minccino will be available! If you’re lucky, you might encounter one!
Wishing you health, wealth, and luck during the Lunar New Year! Stay safe, and happy exploring!
—The Pokémon GO team

Apparently we're voting for the featured Pokemon in February's Community Day.

Make your voices heard—vote for February Community Day’s featured Pokémon

Pokémon GO
Trainers,
Community Day is a key piece of what makes Pokémon GO a unique gaming experience. It’s an event that encourages all Trainers to go out and play together one day a month, and we’ve been endlessly inspired by the impact it’s had on building local communities. To allow Community Day to live up to its name even more, we’re letting Trainers everywhere vote for what the next featured Community Day Pokémon will be.
We hope to take the lessons from this experiment and use them to make Community Day the best it can be, and we thank you for your patience. More info below.
  1. Voting Timeline
  2. February 2020 Community Day Pokémon Candidates
  3. Voting-Day Field Research Tasks
Voting Timeline
Here is what you can expect in the coming weeks.
  1. Announcement of the Community Day candidates: On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 (today), we announce the Pokémon in the running to be the featured Community Day Pokémon, what their event-exclusive attacks will be, and the Field Research tasks you will need to complete to vote for your Pokémon of choice.
  2. Voting day: Voting day will be on Saturday, February 1, 2020, from 12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. in your local time zone. Votes will be counted via the total number of Field Research tasks completed globally within the allotted time.
  3. Announcement of the winner: On Monday, February 3, 2020, two days after voting day closes, we will announce which Pokémon will be featured for February Community Day.
  4. February Community Day: The Community Day featuring the winning Pokémon will take place on Saturday, February 22, 2020. The featured bonus will be 3× Catch Stardust. Per the last update, Community Day for Trainers in the northern hemisphere will run from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. local time, while in the southern hemisphere, it will run from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. local time.
February 2020 Community Day Pokémon Candidates
Your candidates for the next Community Day are Vulpix, Machop, Rhyhorn, and Dratini. Learn about their Community Day attacks and more below.
  • Vulpix: Vulpix as originally discovered in the Kanto region will be appearing in the wild and in Eggs. Alolan Vulpix will be appearing in Field Research and Raid Battles. Evolve Vulpix or Alolan Vulpix into Ninetales or Alolan Ninetales for the Charged Attack Weather Ball. Ninetales will learn Fire-type Weather Ball, and Alolan Ninetales will learn Ice-type Weather Ball—attacks previously exclusive to Castform. Shiny Vulpix as originally discovered in the Kanto region will become available for the first time in Pokémon GO.
  • Machop: Evolve Machop into Machamp for the exclusive attack Payback. This Dark-type Charged Attack will give Machamp good coverage to deal with Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokémon that might otherwise give it trouble.
  • Rhyhorn: Evolve Rhyhorn into Rhyperior for the exclusive attack Rock Wrecker. Known to be Rhyperior’s signature move, this Rock-type Charged Attack will be a powerful addition to Rhyperior’s repertoire. Shiny Rhyhorn will also become available to encounter for the first time in Pokémon GO.
  • Dratini: Evolve Dratini into Dragonite for the Charged Attack Superpower. This powerful Fighting-type attack is a recent addition to Pokémon GO and could be a strategic option for Dragonite. For example, it could help Dragonite against Ice- and Rock-type Pokémon that would normally have an advantage over it. Superpower could also help Dragonite deal with Steel-type Pokémon that are weak to Fighting-type attacks.
Voting-Day Field Research Tasks
In order to ensure fairness, all candidates’ Field Research tasks will have the same objective you’ll need to complete in order to cast a vote for the February 2020 Community Day Pokémon. The Field Research objective you’ll need to complete will be...catching 20 Pokémon to earn 200 Stardust.
These are the four Field Research tasks you will see on voting day:
  • Vote for Machop Community Day! Catch 20 Pokémon
  • Vote for Rhyhorn Community Day! Catch 20 Pokémon
  • Vote for Vulpix Community Day! Catch 20 Pokémon
  • Vote for Dratini Community Day! Catch 20 Pokémon
The Field Research tasks will be available on voting day, Saturday, February 1, 2020, from 12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. in your local time zone. Every PokéStop that day will have a voting-related research task. If the PokéStop you spin does not have a task for the Pokémon you want to vote for, please spin a different PokéStop. We will ensure that there is an even distribution of these research tasks among PokéStops, and we’ll account for areas that have fewer PokéStops as well.
One research task completed equates to one vote for the Pokémon listed on the completed task. You may complete more than one voting research task, and they will each count as a vote for whichever Pokémon is listed on each task. Be sure to complete as much research as you can for the Pokémon you want featured for Community Day!
We hope you’re just as excited as we are to have the first-ever community-chosen Community Day Pokémon! You have one week to help campaign for the Pokémon you most want to be chosen—be sure to use #PokemonGOCommunityDay when doing so!
Make your voices heard, Trainers. It’s time for you to choose which Pokémon you want as the next Community Day Pokémon. Let’s GO!
—The Pokémon GO team

Ivy

resident enigma
I really would enjoy either Machop or Rhyhorn, but since Rhyhorn's shiny is wholly unreleased thus far, that seems like the "correct" pick. Plus Machamp is like 3rd place in fighting PVE performance now, poor sod.

Which featured move would be most beneficial to the Pokemon? Not really familiar with the battle side of things in Go, but I'm down to help out with my 1 vote lol.

Ivy

resident enigma
Which featured move would be most beneficial to the Pokemon? Not really familiar with the battle side of things in Go, but I'm down to help out with my 1 vote lol.
It seems like Rhyhorn is also getting Rock Wrecker as Rhyperior, which may or may not be as broken as the starter moves like Hydro Cannon (it's not yet in the game data).
The other moves are sort of unremarkable, but Weather Ball on alolatales would make it better in PVP, and Superpower is decent additional coverage on Dnite for PVE. Payback Machamp would basically be following in the footsteps of Primeape what with that having Night Slash.

Just do Rock Wrecker Rhyperior because I have a good Rhyhorn to kill everybody with because it’s more common than Cranidos and strong so it can do well in PVE

Reactions: Ivy
Honestly, before I saw those Community Day attacks, I thought Dratini would clinch it because Dragonite is a fantastic generalist. Now I could go for Machop or Rhyhorn, too.

Of course, I could always just abuse research stacking to vote for all three without having to walk until my feet fall off.

It seems like Rhyhorn is also getting Rock Wrecker as Rhyperior, which may or may not be as broken as the starter moves like Hydro Cannon (it's not yet in the game data).
The other moves are sort of unremarkable, but Weather Ball on alolatales would make it better in PVP, and Superpower is decent additional coverage on Dnite for PVE. Payback Machamp would basically be following in the footsteps of Primeape what with that having Night Slash.
Rhyhorn it is then

I'll just say, I should have read the news before continuing 7km eggs, as I have wasted my walking distances for things like Wurmples without knowing the normal things found there are removed (sans Riolu, but it's still too rare). This has to be one of the most questionable choice Ntic makes, even more than flowervee research breakthrough debacle.

Here I hoped to prepare for Alopix for plan B in case Rhyhorn fails in the vote. And extra Happiny + Chansey Candy for Blissey defenders.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
With the release of the GO Battle League, Scraggy has been released as a potential reward for ranking up.

Hopefully it's also released through other methods (quests / stars in the Fighting Event / etc.).

Fwiw, you probably want this mon if you plan on investing in PvP - Scrafty is one of the best superstars in it.

Expert Evan

So far I'm 2 for 2 in the GO Battle League and I just need 2 more out of a possible 3 to get me that mystery pokemon. Interestingly my opponents have used the likes of whiscash and deoxys defense, even saw an azumarill. Top tier pokemon. My first battle I had my best pokemon with Registeel then wised up and also used hypno and altaria since they were also superb choices.

Expert Evan

Amazing, didn't expect to go 5 for 5, got a snorlax and charged tm as mystery gifts. Some matches were oh so close, reminds me of when i used to compete in VGC years ago.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
26-4 in the first two days of GBL. Gotten 29k stardust out of free mode + 1 premium (at rank 4), 8 charge TMs, a decent chunk of RCs, 2 fast TMs, a Sinnoh Stone, and a Scraggy to boot. Free mode rewards are fantastic; Premium rewards are currently only really worth it at low ranks where you can confidently sweep the set since you need to win 4 out of 5 to get the charge TM package, and the rewards before that are much less appealing.

Ivy

resident enigma
I went for the premium track on my second rank because holy frig 5 charged TMs from 4 wins. Even managed to eke out the 5th win to continue my 10 streak for another 7 rare candy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)