Pokémon GO

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Which again, brings me to the point that it only applies to conserving items. Anchoring "to switch in and back" doesn't actually help when you wipe charge moves from your Pokemon to switch out; it cuts into DPS significantly. You are free to keep doing so to conserve your items but don't have the notion that it contributes to your damage bonus as it is proven it doesn't.

Also going to have to disagree with this, "ball bonus doesn't matter for Mewtwo". Participated in my second EX Raid earlier today and someone in my raid group still had his Mewtwo flee despite throwing golden razz excellent curves on all his 10 balls. Nothing much else he could have done as a different colour team was holding down the gym at the time. Pretty sure he feels even worse than if he had only gotten 6 balls. Your best bet is to make sure you maximize your chances. You never know when you might screw up and get a bad throw, or even worse, miss entirely with the slip of a finger.

On a side note, managed to catch mine. With IVs of 14 across the board, I'm really happy with this one. Gonna power it up eventually, once I accumulate more rare candies.

using Blissey doesnt do anything, you might as well save items by using squishys such as Parasect.

Aron is quite common yes..

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
using Blissey doesnt do anything, you might as well save items by using squishys such as Parasect.

Aron is quite common yes..
But those one only last a single hit.

To determine when to switch I refer to this chart which breaks down how many Quick and Charge Move my specific Pokémon (Level, IVs), will survive from a Raid Boss (Weather, Quick and Charge Move used).

Survivability Bulkpoints Calculator
Based on my example screen shot below:
My Exeggutor can survive 5 Waterfalls, and 1 Hydro Pump with 1 HP. So what I do is I send it in as my first Pokémon (since it needs to Charge 1 Bar Solar Beam before Kyogre has charged Hydro Pump), then I count the number of Waterfalls it takes before Hydro Pump (more people in a Raid charges Kyogre’s Hydro Pump Faster).

Once I know it has taken 5 Waterfalls (sometimes 4 before and 1 after Hydro Pump), I switch to another Attacker if it will use Waterfall, or to Blissey if I know it will do Hydro Pump. (typically on the fifth Waterfall to avoid lag KOing it as it switches out just at 1 HP).

By then I can maximize damage output, while reducing potion use. Both Exeggutor’s and Kyogre’s Quick Move are Close in Speed, so it isn’t really worth staying in for one more Quick Move if I can just save it for another Attacker.

Here is a Damage Breakpoint Calculator
.935EF8A1-DD76-4466-A559-A959506EE081.pngB23DD64D-7B6F-42F1-BE59-D5D3786A622E.png

Last edited:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Got my 2nd Mewtwo in an ex raid today, and while it may be 82% IVs it has perfect attack. I also recently got a 93% kyogre with 15 in attack/HP, 12 in defense as I'm liking the new update making it easier to at least land my throws and have a better chance of catching.

While Mewtwo was definitely the king of 1st generation, now that we're up to 3rd generation, I seem to have more of a liking towards having a good groudon and kyogre while Mewtwo is definitely nice to have though may wait until powering up Mewtwo if I find a reason to. Its charge move is currently Psychic as I heard Shadow Ball was the preferred move since it's 2 bar and does more damage.

The thing I think is that Mewtwo is a well built generalist, while Groudon is mostly held up by the coverage it gets as a Ground/Grass attacker, while Kyogre is just absurdly powerful as a water type to pull weight in that manner despite slightly less coverage.

Rerolled my current best Kyogre's Charge move (89% w/ Perfect ATK) and got Hydro Pump, so that's one to power up. Really keeping an eye out for Glass Cannons like Seedot and Treecko to form a more proper squad to raid with as pre-made teams.

Aron's decently common for me, I'd say I see it about as often as I saw Electrike before this update. Hope it does prove common, I need it to work on two medals for the Regis and later raid bosses like Dialga.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I think in PvP, if Legendaries are allowed, and I assume species clause, based on the original trailer, people can battle in groups, and there will be a hierarchy of who is the best to use.
I believe Rayquaza>Kyogre>Mewtwo>Groudon>Articuno>Tyranitar will be common place.

Articuno seems like an odd choice, but it helps counter the most common sets of Groudon, Rayquaza, and isn’t afraid of Solar Beam. Tyranitar might seem like the only option for Mewtwo’s Shadow Ball sets, but Rayquaza will bode well for its Focus Blast sets. Tyranitar’s Stone Edge can also seem useful for Articuno and Rayquaza. I didn’t list Raikou or Entei because they are more easily hardcountered by Groudon and Kyogre due to suffering from both quick and Charge moves.
——
Also, according to Gamepress, Aggron as being just as bulky as Blissey against Rayquaza when factoring even the full average of all of its movesets, and surpassing her with the highest TDO... period.
They go on to Name it as a top Counter, factoring it’s unique Typing, while having a higher Attack stat, Super Effective Dragon Tail, and STAB Super Effective Stone Edge. This is based on TDO, in dealing damage before being KOed, rather than DPS.

(Gamepress defines an anchor not as a Pokémon that walls with no offense like Chansey, but as a Pokémon that lives long enough to outdamage a Glass Cannon by virtue of dealing more total damage over a longer period [slower but pays off] before it dies such as Lugia instead of Alakazam for Machamp raids)

Last edited:
I just completely watched this:

And holy shit, I am speechless. This guy... There are no words to describe how dedicated this guy is. He is more passionate about this game than universities are about teaching. Really interesting. If you have some time on your hands, I'd definitely recommend watching it.

I've watched it. Being a Singaporean myself, I can say for certain that the local community is truly dedicated and competitive, although this leads to problems such as a ridiculously high turnover rate for gyms, making it nearly impossible for most people to earn more than a few PokéCoins daily, if any at all. On the other hand, you won't encounter any trouble finding people to raid with. Haven't met the guy irl though.

I've watched it. Being a Singaporean myself, I can say for certain that the local community is truly dedicated and competitive, although this leads to problems such as a ridiculously high turnover rate for gyms, making it nearly impossible for most people to earn more than a few PokéCoins daily, if any at all. On the other hand, you won't encounter any trouble finding people to raid with. Haven't met the guy irl though.
I see. But is this 'normal' in Singapore? This guy is insane. I have never in my entire life seen someone so passionate about anything.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
It's not normal; Singapore's scene is pretty active but people aren't that hardcore.

Dude cheats to get where he is, so regardless of dedication it's not very impressive. He's been known for a year+ already to members of my community, and he's not even a role model there. The stark amount of exp is hilarious and I wonder what Niantic thinks when they log that into their servers lol

Well, it's not normal for sure. I seriously wonder how he juggles between playing and working, if he even has a job.

However, the local community here definitely treats the game much more seriously than several other countries I've been to in the past few months. People here are willing to fight down a gym for more than an hour straight, with the defending side monitoring the gym the entire time and spamming golden razz berries, be it for the sake of a few extra PokéCoins or gym control. When I was in California and Taiwan on holiday last year, not once did I encounter such a situation while fighting down a gym, even if it was before the start of a Level 5 raid. I also didn't see nearly as many people playing along the streets as compared to back home.

On a side note, a new wave of EX raid invites for Feb 8 were sent out. And I somehow received an invite again, this being my third one. Goes to show how flawed the system is as many people who have accurately pinpointed which gyms are going to host EX raids the next invite and raided consistently at those gyms have still not received their first invite while many others are receiving their second or third invite.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Well, it's not normal for sure. I seriously wonder how he juggles between playing and working, if he even has a job.

However, the local community here definitely treats the game much more seriously than several other countries I've been to in the past few months. People here are willing to fight down a gym for more than an hour straight, with the defending side monitoring the gym the entire time and spamming golden razz berries, be it for the sake of a few extra PokéCoins or gym control. When I was in California and Taiwan on holiday last year, not once did I encounter such a situation while fighting down a gym, even if it was before the start of a Level 5 raid. I also didn't see nearly as many people playing along the streets as compared to back home.

On a side note, a new wave of EX raid invites for Feb 8 were sent out. And I somehow received an invite again, this being my third one. Goes to show how flawed the system is as many people who have accurately pinpointed which gyms are going to host EX raids the next invite and raided consistently at those gyms have still not received their first invite while many others are receiving their second or third invite.
You mean like me?

I deserve one after the $ spent and time wasted.
Regardless, I look forward to conquering my next capture and ensuring it is maxed out.

I can’t wait for the community day and the last wave of Gen 3! Rayquaza here we come! Or rather... here it comes!

Attachments

Just had a 2318 Kyogre flee from me. This was the one. This was the Kyogre I was hunting for for the past few weeks. 12 balls, all Golden Razz + Curve + Excellent. Nope...

You mean like me?

I deserve one after the $ spent and time wasted.
Regardless, I look forward to conquering my next capture and ensuring it is maxed out.

I can’t wait for the community day and the last wave of Gen 3! Rayquaza here we come! Or rather... here it comes!
Nice, congrats! I mean, it's only natural for one to expect to get an invite after investing time, effort and sometimes money into raiding at the potential EX raid gyms they spotted. Unfortunately, there are many people who have been doing the same yet the system has still not rewarded them with their first invite. Nothing else to say other than I feel for them.

Just had a 2318 Kyogre flee from me. This was the one. This was the Kyogre I was hunting for for the past few weeks. 12 balls, all Golden Razz + Curve + Excellent. Nope...
I feel you. Really bad luck with RNG there, considering you had 12 balls and threw all of them the best you could. Hopefully the last 2 weeks of Kyogre will be kinder to you.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Nice, congrats! I mean, it's only natural for one to expect to get an invite after investing time, effort and sometimes money into raiding at the potential EX raid gyms they spotted. Unfortunately, there are many people who have been doing the same yet the system has still not rewarded them with their first invite. Nothing else to say other than I feel for them.
I feel you. Really bad luck with RNG there, considering you had 12 balls and threw all of them the best you could. Hopefully the last 2 weeks of Kyogre will be kinder to you.
honestly, if you join a Discord or Facebook group or just google, people know exactly where to Raid in each specific week. Specifically the names of the gyms. Not just spoofers but people who know that the wave will handle these sponsored gyms in these specific parks like the specific Starbucks in Central Park in NY, or otherwise. Reddit, silph road, etc offer exact answers.

If you are local or traveling there you can pretty much gaurantee. Some people have 10 Mewtwo’s, and it isn’t based on guessing or sheer luck, it is their strategic decision to just go for it.

P.S. First time I saw this. Looks like it will notify you of another Ex-Raid (even including when you are not part of it), so that you cannot even spin a gym. Lol he Gym is literally local so I now know where to Ex-Raid: Amazing! Must be god saying “For all the effort and sharing information here is a place you won’t even need to spoof!”

E7D5B3E3-C26C-4318-85CB-13B0E09F685A.png
Here is a starting point created as recently as Jan 29: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/7tujr6

Last edited:
honestly, if you join a Discord or Facebook group or just google, people know exactly where to Raid in each specific week. Specifically the names of the gyms. Not just spoofers but people who know that the wave will handle these sponsored gyms in these specific parks like the specific Starbucks in Central Park in NY, or otherwise. Reddit, silph road, etc offer exact answers.

If you are local or traveling there you can pretty much gaurantee. Some people have 10 Mewtwo’s, and it isn’t based on guessing or sheer luck, it is their strategic decision to just go for it.

P.S. First time I saw this. Looks like it will notify you of another Ex-Raid (even including when you are not part of it), so that you cannot even spin a gym. Lol he Gym is literally local so I now know where to Ex-Raid: Amazing! Must be god saying “For all the effort and sharing information here is a place you won’t even need to spoof!”

View attachment 100095
Here is a starting point created as recently as Jan 29: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/7tujr6
People have been doing exactly that, accurately predicting which gyms will host EX raids the next invite, sharing the information on the local FB group and raiding exclusively at those gyms. However, people can only do this much to maximize their chances of receiving an invite. Beyond that it really just falls to the luck of the draw.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
People have been doing exactly that, accurately predicting which gyms will host EX raids the next invite, sharing the information on the local FB group and raiding exclusively at those gyms. However, people can only do this much to maximize their chances of receiving an invite. Beyond that it really just falls to the luck of the draw.
Yes, 2 people could raid with only 1 getting it.
In either case, I am excited to raid by my home! No spoofing just a nice walk in the park.

Raid Ex Pass likelihood: https://pokemongohub.net/post/resea...g-ex-raid-pass-based-trainer-gym-badge-level/

Last edited:
here we only have 1 ex pass raid gym, and it is actually spoiling the raid scene yesterday (before passes) we had 4 man charmeleon, and today, 3 Kyogre.... yea 8 of us did one... then 11 did an omastar on the ex gym, wasn't even all the 8 from the kyogre..

So I was in the Old Town district of Wichita tonight. Great place for Go. Three stops alone just sitting in the restaurant, at least thirty in view on the map. I'm wiling away the time, getting some new dex entries in. And then... boom! Every single stop gets set with a lure at the same time. Like God dropped confetti on the whole damn map. Bless the spoofers.

Yes, 2 people could raid with only 1 getting it.
In either case, I am excited to raid by my home! No spoofing just a nice walk in the park.

Raid Ex Pass likelihood: https://pokemongohub.net/post/resea...g-ex-raid-pass-based-trainer-gym-badge-level/
Isnt that a load of bullcrap, since only few get gold badges yet anybody who raids gets a bronze?
So, given how many gold badge players got the invites, its fair to say that gold is by far the best for getting invites, non?

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
So I was in the Old Town district of Wichita tonight. Great place for Go. Three stops alone just sitting in the restaurant, at least thirty in view on the map. I'm wiling away the time, getting some new dex entries in. And then... boom! Every single stop gets set with a lure at the same time. Like God dropped confetti on the whole damn map. Bless the spoofers.
Your welcome.
I get an invitation to an event to Thursday afternoon ! But everybody works at 3pm ! :(
Use your 10 minute afternoon break.
Mine is even worse:DB548552-7A4B-4CB1-A791-29C050D85596.jpeg

Also: Chimera Fusion at Pokemon Gym-7549AB8F-6F5E-4389-83C8-CD37A3D871B6.jpeg

I remember reading that if you have an Ex raid you are more likely to get the next wave as well!

Isnt that a load of bullcrap, since only few get gold badges yet anybody who raids gets a bronze?
So, given how many gold badge players got the invites, its fair to say that gold is by far the best for getting invites, non?
It depends on the level, and mostly I believe Silver is the best choice for the happy medium.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)