Pokémon GO

Assuming we will only get Generation I Pokemon in GO due to pandering, which Pokemon would you guys want to catch as your bro that is Generation I?

:3

I dont know about walking in the street with my phone playing Pokemon, but that video advertizing the game got me veryyyyyyy hype. I will totally give it a go lol

The final scene with Mewtwo getting beaten up by a huge crowd was kind of awkward though, mean humans.

Assuming we will only get Generation I Pokemon in GO due to pandering, which Pokemon would you guys want to catch as your bro that is Generation I?
Honestly I don't have many GenI attachments, never really bonded with any starters in any game, but I guess its between Pidgeot, Flareon, and Porygon.

Mew for me, though assuming that it will be super rare, it will probably be the typical Charizard and Blastoise before I have a reasonable chance of seeing it. There are lots of Gen I Pokemon I like though, such as Lapras, Mewtwo, Raichu and Alakazam.

The game looks so much fun from the trailer! Can't wait to search for Pokemon and battle. This is one of the few games that interact with reality that I can get into. I just hope that I can upgrade my iPod from 4th gen before 2016 lol.

I'd settle for Arcanine or Gengar, they're both pretty strong, usable (or at least considerable) in many formats, and seem like a good choice if my options were limited. If mega evolutions appear I'd be happy with just about any Gen 1 mega.

Alakazam would be fun too.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Wonder how they'd do this in correlation with theories or with Pokedex entries.

For example, what if Lampent's line is found commonly around hospitals, "waiting for souls to pass on", or Grimer being found around landfills/dumpsters/etc. for those who work near those.
Oh LOL!! This would be so great!!
Imagine Phantump in some haunted woods, Cofagrigus in some Egyptian sites...etc.
Put Gastly line in graveyards would be so freaking nice.

I love nightmare fuels.

Oh LOL!! This would be so great!!
Imagine Phantump in some haunted woods, Cofagrigus in some Egyptian sites...etc.
Put Gastly line in graveyards would be so freaking nice.

I love nightmare fuels.
Pokédex entry for Entei: "Volcanoes erupt when it barks."

:')

Would there be the possibility of scanning real world animals and the game bringing up a Pokemon that would correlate to said animal eg: I scan my horse and Rapidash appears?

Would there be the possibility of scanning real world animals and the game bringing up a Pokemon that would correlate to said animal eg: I scan my horse and Rapidash appears?
I'm not sure that catching real world animals is what they're going for here. From what Ingress does, where it uses things like statues and landmarks as points of interest, and from what the commercial showed, I would speculate that there will be a home server that decides on a pokemon and it's statistics, and plants a virtual flag on a map that corresponds to it. The phone then picks up on the flag using GPS positioning, and directs you to it. From there, I'd imagine that it would use the phone's camera, speaker, and internal gyroscope to let you interact with the pokemon until it's caught, fainted, or it or you leave, if it didn't just put the pokemon directly onto your phone and let you battle it.

When you think about it, I wonder what it would be like to try to compete with someone to catch the same pokemon. Not like the depiction of the Mewtwo battle, where it seemed that everyone caught it, but, something like a generic Nidoran, that you and someone else both wanted.

No, if they were going to allow for the "capture" of real world animals, there would be an entirely too large influx of Growlithe, Meowth, and Geodude, and frankly, Grimer, Muk, and Trubbish and Garbodor, if they're involved. It could be fun, though, to actually be able to train your favorite pet as a pokemon, like you tried to as a kid.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sorry to dash your dreams, but that is still in the far future, I'm afraid. Image recognition is dastardly difficult business, and getting a computer to recognise an object as a horse is still an unsolved problem. A friend of mine works with facial recognition software, and even their best efforts haven't had much more than a sixty percent success rate, when comparing two different pictures of the same person wearing the same clothes. Give it ten years, maybe, but until then, I'm afraid it's sci-fi.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It doesn't sound like it's a scanning game. It looks like it just directs you to where it's sensing a Pokemon is and if its wild you catch it and if its another trainer's you battle/trade it. Scanning a real world animal would sort of be cheating honestly.

I'm probably not getting this. I already play enough games as it is, from AS, to Shuffle and Rumble World, and for that same reason, I haven't even decided if I should get Super Mystery Dungeon, though I want to.

Neat idea though.

So far, it's an AR DexNav.

That's pretty much it unless they reveal other features that tie it in to the main series, or go beyond what we're already familiar with.

They said they'll be having a closed beta this Winter but no further detail we given.
That reminds me, I wonder if the time of day and seasons would effect when certain Pokemon appear.
That means for tropical countries (we only have rainy and summer seasons) like southeast Asia (Philippines, Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, etc), we have no chance of getting Ice type pokemon. Great. We might find a Manaphy there though, but its more cold blood than a phione that's warm blooded. Honestly, Celebi could fit here since forests are a big thing in the tropics. Finding a Jirachi maybe impossible though. The only place I could think of here in thePhilippines would either be some of the local mountains and volcanoes. So it's not just locations, but seasons too. We have SO much more questions than answers as of now.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That means for tropical countries (we only have rainy and summer seasons) like southeast Asia (Philippines, Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, etc), we have no chance of getting Ice type pokemon. Great. We might find a Manaphy there though, but its more cold blood than a phione that's warm blooded. Honestly, Celebi could fit here since forests are a big thing in the tropics. Finding a Jirachi maybe impossible though. The only place I could think of here in thePhilippines would either be some of the local mountains and volcanoes. So it's not just locations, but seasons too. We have SO much more questions than answers as of now.
We really can't say anything for sure, though the Legendaries I think are going to be restricted to events (also right now I think we're sticking with the original 151). Now if they exclusively assign Pokemon to certain location then it's very likely you won't be able to get many Pokemon who wouldn't naturally be native to a location like that. But if the Pokemon are distributed by just location type (urban, forest/woods, river, beach, mountain, etc.) then it could be possible to get a majority of the Pokemon in your country.

So could I consider my location as a sweet spot for having diverse amounts of pokes in the future?

Speaking of that, I actually tried out Ingress in my phone. If you ask me as a tablet gamer, the ultimate test for me is if the games I get are NOT WI-FI dependent. I tried Ingress without Wi-Fi, it refuses to work. Same goes for Pokémon Shuffle when I tried it. That means, I end up only playing said games at my house with Wi-Fi. Being in a second or third world country with no city range Wi-Fi sucks for us since we cannot play Pokémon Go if that is the case. Despite some Micro-transactions Plants Vs Zombies 2 has, that game was one of my all time favorites just because of the ability to play it ANYWHERE I go with or without Wi-Fi. Rather, the Wi-fi functionality is optional. In the case of PvZ2, you only need Wi-fi to participate in daily Pinata Parties (if you win the Pinata Party event, you can just wait for the next day), or buy some of the plants, upgrades, extra cash or gems, or power-ups.
I just hope Niantic, Nintendo, and The Pokémon Company realize this. Not all Pokemon fans live in first world countries with great technological progress and Wi-Fi present throughout the city range.

What could consider as a glimmer of hope is seeing the trailer where the African-like father and child use said app in a mountain area where there is probably no Wi-Fi router. I hope Niantic makes Pokémon Go not Wi-Fi Dependent. If Pokémon Go does what I hope it does in terms of playability and less Wi-Fi reliance then I can bring it to the provinces and try to catch some pokemon there. Maybe I'll get a Mew there, or a Celebi. Too bad it will be difficult to get my favorite legendary. Plus, Victini just may be exclusive to the Statue of Liberty (AMERICA!! F*** YEAH!!!). Sigh... I just love referencing that very comical song.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
jireh the provider:
Hmm... I'm going to say that the game probably would require at least a GPS for most of its features. For one thing the app needs to know where its directing you to "encounter" the Pokemon, I don't think it'll just point you to a random direction for a certain distance. It also depends if they store the location of Pokemon in an area in the downloaded app or does it need to connect to WiFi to know what Pokemon exists in what location.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Most mobile phone games require internet access anyway, I don't see how this can be offline at all.
Actually... name one that doesn't.

Most mobile phone games require internet access anyway, I don't see how this can be offline at all.
Actually... name one that doesn't.
I can play Final Fantasy Record Keeper over just my phone's 3G, and that game's evidently programmed in a way that favors fast Wi-Fi (the graphical assets for the levels are evidently downloaded temporarily and dynamically to keep the dedicated file size down).

This game by nature I think is at least going to need GPS and some kind of wireless functionality, though I hope they account for the travel nature obviously not favoring Router Wi-Fi.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This game will require 3G (or 4G) Data connection when you go out and about. It would be ridiculous to think it would be Home Wifi based. The nature of the game implies you need a data connection regardless of what you are doing at any time.

Plenty of phone games have this as a requirement. Not many don't. I would have thought any game where the main point is going and exploring places would require a data signal wherever you go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)