Pokémon GO

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Someone at my school speculates that they inflated Altaria's EVO cost to minimize easy access to Dragons, for Medals or generalists.
Trapinch to Vibrava is only 25 candy, and Trapinch isn't hard to find.

Though your comment could be right and Ninatic may have forgotten to increase Trapinch's evo cost.

increased Chansey spawns from 0 to 0..... thanks Niantic
I wonder if Niantic increased the encounter rates by 50 times. Luvdisc was literally everywhere. But I haven't seen a single Chansey since Valentines last year and still none. 50 x 0 = 0.

Though your comment could be right and Ninatic may have forgotten to increase Trapinch's evo cost.

I wonder if Niantic increased the encounter rates by 50 times. Luvdisc was literally everywhere. But I haven't seen a single Chansey since Valentines last year and still none. 50 x 0 = 0.
Trapinch is not the most common around my area. Swablu probably comes ot mind because it's a Com Mon, so they knew people would easily get a bunch of them. Trapinch is available, but the Dragon medal would be "too easy" if you could get them from a Pidgey tier evolution.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I’m wondering if the Regis will be worth it? And is Metagross better than Jirachi?

Jirachi will have Doom Desire over Metagross’ Flash Cannon but it’s stats in Attack will be lower, a consideration for the Quick Move Damage build up.

Trapinch is probably more common only if you live in a desert biome. Trapinch, as with most other rock and ground types, are not very easy to come by where I live and I personally have only caught 2 Trapinch so far.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Trapinch is not the most common around my area. Swablu probably comes ot mind because it's a Com Mon, so they knew people would easily get a bunch of them. Trapinch is available, but the Dragon medal would be "too easy" if you could get them from a Pidgey tier evolution.
Trapinch is probably more common only if you live in a desert biome. Trapinch, as with most other rock and ground types, are not very easy to come by where I live and I personally have only caught 2 Trapinch so far.
I live in Australia. Most of Australia is a desert. Also it's summer here and weather is commonly sunny so Ground-types are more common. Probably why I'm seeing many more Trapinch than you guys. Considering that, the 400km Swablu makes more sense. Swablu is still common here and has a 1km distance for buddy candy.

Still, four Trapinch + four Pinap Berries and transferring one Trapinch will effectively net you one Vibrava.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if the Regis will be worth it? And is Metagross better than Jirachi?

Jirachi will have Doom Desire over Metagross’ Flash Cannon but it’s stats in Attack will be lower, a consideration for the Quick Move Damage build up.
Regis are complete trash as expected, but Regice might be a somewhat decent replacement for Articuno, as a lot weaker but bulkier mon (still nothing compared to Glaceon or Mamoswine)
Did a few simulations at Pokebattler
Metagross is *slightly* better than Confusion/DD Jirachi against Pokemon weak to Steel (not much, only a few seconds difference against various movesets of Piloswine)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Trapinch is also the most effective buddy Pokemon if your sole purpose is to get that Dragon medal (3km as opposed to 5km for Dratini for a 25 candy evo).
Trapinch is also a 5 km buddy so dunno where you got that idea. As far as I'm concerned, Trapinch is about as rare as Bagon and Beldum and is even rarer than Feebas where I live.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Regis are complete trash as expected, but Regice might be a somewhat decent replacement for Articuno, as a lot weaker but bulkier mon (still nothing compared to Glaceon or Mamoswine)
Did a few simulations at Pokebattler
Metagross is *slightly* better than Confusion/DD Jirachi against Pokemon weak to Steel (not much, only a few seconds difference against various movesets of Piloswine)
Thanks for going through the research of what stands out. So basically it’s a “If you already evolved Metagross by the time we release this one, you don’t really need it. But if you want the slightly better one overall, just spend a lot of Raid Passes and collect Rare Candies. Or just like seriously wait for Dialga.”

I’m disappointed that they don’t make Pokémon necessarily better for the harder efforts to both catch and raise. Rare Candy Suicune is the biggest example, followed by Unown.

Ya, I would rather just catch a good Eevee that I can Boost now, for Glaceon with a name trick (May), than Regice at level 20 (knowing Niantic I doubt it will it be snowing for release). Afterall, all these Raid Ice types are added post the snowy Winter weather for the most part. While Groudon, who benefits from the sun, was released as Winter began.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Been playing a lot so the news section has escaped me a bit. But here's the rundown on what's happened after Valentine's (which was extended by a day given server outages):

1) Year of Dog. In accordance to the Chinese Lunar Year, Niantic has tripled the dust catch of these species (Eevee, Snubbull, Electrike, Poochyena, Growlithe), as well as made them more common. Shiny Poochyena (and by extension Mightyena) is released and available for capture as well. This ends today, February 17th in about 16 hours or so.

Side note: Have amassed over 700K Stardust thanks to this tiny event + the Luvdisc spam so I'm eternally grateful.

2) These two tiny events served as the PRELUDE to Community Day (triple dust!). Speaking of which, we finally have confirmation on Dratini's move. Only, it is Dragonite's and it is the move Draco Meteor! For this interval, any caught or evolved Dragonite will be able to get this move! Additionally, unlike the first Community Event, TMs are confirmed to NOT work for the purposes of getting Draco Meteor Dragonite, so you must evolve one during the 3 hour interval this event will be live.

Notes:

a) There is nothing that states you can't evolve a currently existing Dratini / Dragonair, so simply hold on to a high IV specimen til Community Day, amass the candies (if needed) and evolve it.
b) Draco Meteor is purely a collector's move - Outrage outclasses it in most (not all!) situations, so it is not something to be worth stressing about at present time - unless Draco Meteor receives a buff / Outrage gets a nerf in the future.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader

Double post since different matter.

Regirock and Regice - Amazing TDO Pokemon with good movesets, but TDO is not valued in this meta where DPS is king for Raids. These two will simply serve as amazing Potion efficient attackers with a good variety of matchups, which is not perfect but it's better than having no use. I for one am excited to try these two. Imo the biggest quality these two have is how astronomically hard the raid will be to down them; no other Pokemon comes close to their colossal defense and the battle against the timer.

Registeel - This is dex fodder and has no redeeming qualities due to the way its balanced stats translate to Go.

Jirachi - Metagross has more elite stats but Jirachi's Doom Desire is straight up broken. The problem is this is a Mythical and we already have Metagross in the game, which holds it back. At present, I believe Jirachi to be much more flexible than Metagross thanks to its 2 bar nuke, but Metagross could get a buff in the future in order to redeem its poor movepool, and this could simply put Jirachi into the outclassed bin.

Darkmalice

Level 3
Trapinch is also a 5 km buddy so dunno where you got that idea. As far as I'm concerned, Trapinch is about as rare as Bagon and Beldum and is even rarer than Feebas where I live.
Whoops. I googled buddy distance, and the first answer was 3km.

That last bit is a stretch. I've caught 21 Trapinch, but 0 Bagon, Beldum and Feebas. Haven't even seen a wild Bagon/Beldum (found 1 Feebas which disappeared before I got to it). Throughout the year, and depending on the country, I'd also imagine that sun (ground, Trapinch) is a more common weather than rain (Water, Feebas), wind (Dragon, Bagon), and hail (Steel, Beldum).

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Double post since different matter.

Regirock and Regice - Amazing TDO Pokemon with good movesets, but TDO is not valued in this meta where DPS is king for Raids. These two will simply serve as amazing Potion efficient attackers with a good variety of matchups, which is not perfect but it's better than having no use. I for one am excited to try these two. Imo the biggest quality these two have is how astronomically hard the raid will be to down them; no other Pokemon comes close to their colossal defense and the battle against the timer.

Registeel - This is dex fodder and has no redeeming qualities due to the way its balanced stats translate to Go.

Jirachi - Metagross has more elite stats but Jirachi's Doom Desire is straight up broken. The problem is this is a Mythical and we already have Metagross in the game, which holds it back. At present, I believe Jirachi to be much more flexible than Metagross thanks to its 2 bar nuke, but Metagross could get a buff in the future in order to redeem its poor movepool, and this could simply put Jirachi into the outclassed bin.
Totally worth the DP (double posts).

I consider Aggron to be Registeel, it will be the current highest TDO for Rayquaza Raids with Dragon Tail/Stone Edge, due to its sheer bulk when facing its Dragon Movesets, and resists it’s Ancient Power and Aerial Ace. Aggron is to Registeel what Jirachi is to Metagross- slightly more useful - if you don’t already have the other one.

I’ve always liked Regice and I there is something to be said about being a Pure Ice Type, no double weaknesses to exploit - although no double likelihood of getting another STAB Weather Boost Attack option.

EDIT-
Found this amazing article on Damage Calculations.

https://pokemongohub.net/post/wiki/comprehensive-guide-moves-pokemon-go/

Adding to my VR Rankings.

Last edited:
Totally worth the DP (double posts).

I consider Aggron to be Registeel, it will be the current highest TDO for Rayquaza Raids with Dragon Tail/Stone Edge, due to its sheer bulk when facing its Dragon Movesets, and resists it’s Ancient Power and Aerial Ace. Aggron is to Registeel what Jirachi is to Metagross- slightly more useful - if you don’t already have the other one.

I’ve always liked Regice and I there is something to be said about being a Pure Ice Type, no double weaknesses to exploit - although no double likelihood of getting another STAB Weather Boost Attack option.

EDIT-
Found this amazing article on Damage Calculations, it actually shows Milotic outperforms Gyarados for the Charge Move DPS, outdone for Water Type Charge Move Damage only by Kyogre. I was surprised by some of the statistics in the chart and how they listed Aggron over Metagross for Damage on Steel Type overall.

https://pokemongohub.net/post/wiki/comprehensive-guide-moves-pokemon-go/

Adding to my VR Rankings.
Milotic doesnt outpreform Gyarados, but Surf is strong and Milotic is simply the best Pokemon that can utilise it
Gyarados isnt there because Kyogre is already the best Hydro Pump Pokemon

And in the same way, Metagross does bigger damage, but since this list is based only on the moves, and not the pokemon themselves, and Heavy Slam is better than Flash Cannon, Aggron is listed instead

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Ok I see what you are saying. I had a hunch but ignored it. Thanks for your reply, I edited my previous post.
On a side note, seeing as they did only 16/18 types, they ommitted 2 Bar Move Sludge Bomb at 34.78 DPS, off of Gengar, and Hyper Beam with 39.47 DPS off of Slaking.
———
For those curious:
According to this Article on Dragonite with Dragon Tail/Outrage vs Dragon Tail/Draco Meteor:
Draco Meteor will only outperform Outrage in specific situations when Dragonite faints soon after performing its charge attack.
Basically it will take 20 or so seconds for Dragonite to use 2 Outrages, and 16 seconds to use Draco Meteor, as the cooldown for Outrage is 3.9 seconds and having to go through the cooldown twice, while Draco Meteor’s cooldown is 3.6 seconds and only needs to be used 1 time. This only accounts for Dragon Tail’s EPS (Energy gained per second) and therefore doesn’t factor in how much energy you gain from an opponent’s damage- afterall each possible IV/Attack/Dodge combination would have to be accounted for.

Basically the argument is, you get to add more damage via Quick Attacks after using Draco Meteor Faster, as Draco Meteor hits faster than 2 Outrages. For Base power, 1 Cycle of 100 energy is 264 Base Power with STAB for 2 Outrages vs 180 Base Power with STAB for 1 Draco Meteor. If Dragonite dies immediately after Draco Meteor (within the 4 second gap) it will have done more damage because it wouldn’t have made it to the second Outrage. (This means you would only have 132 Base power).

Factoring in using the 4 seconds of additional Dragon Tail Damage, where Dragon Tail takes 1.1 seconds to perform and 13.368 Damage with STAB per hit, this adds 49.1 additional damage if used 3 times (4.4 for 4 times would land after the second Draco Meteor), giving it 229.1 Damage per 19.3 seconds.

If including the 4th Dragon Tail for the Draco Meteor set (since that means it would be after the second Outrage but before their next Dragon Tail) then it would be 242.468 Damage with Dragon Tail / Draco Meteor Vs 264 Damage with Dragon Tail/Outrage.

Basically the margin of victory is so small for Draco Meteor that the article still says Outrage is overall better if you make it past 20 seconds to use Outrage twice, or if you don’t make it past 16 seconds and never land 1 Draco Meteor.
——
Edit- Here is a spreadsheet on best Pokémon per type of all generations, best moves, and best overall rankings. I am adding to the Viability Rankings Post-

Last edited:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One thing I'm missing from the recent February event was doubling on candies as I'm currently saving all my legendaries until I have the opportunity to use any multiple candy events to transfer them which I could certainly use. This will also go for the other candies I may need.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
From your twitter from Pokemon Go, post I found the official link:
Guess whose back, back again, guess whose back, tell a friend...
https://pokemongolive.com/post/legendaryweek022318/

“Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza each have their own strengths and weaknesses, so challenging all three will take skill! Power up your strongest Pokémon, grab your friends, and head to nearby Gyms for a chance to battle and catch them from February 23 until March 5.

We’re in for some legendary battles, and the overall result will be exciting! If Rayquaza is defeated more than Kyogre and Groudon combined, Pokémon that typically prefer windy weather (for example, Bagon) are more likely to hatch from Eggs from March 5 to March 16. If not, Pokémon that prefer sunny or rainy weather (like Trapinch or Lotad) are more likely to hatch.
These battles will be tough, so we have new special boxes debuting on February 24, containing Raid Passes to help you prepare. Visit the in-game store to find out more.

Did you know Pokémon is celebrating a ‘legendary’ year in 2018? You can learn about more about these and other Legendary Pokémon at Pokemon.com/Legendary.” - Official site.

Firstly, Im happy for the new boxes with passes (albeit I just spent 500 on that coat-vest thing)
Secondly, makińg raid battles will be a lot harder (nobody really wants the first two anymore, and you only have 45 minutes to get a group and beat it)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader

Shiny Dratini line has their assets in the game, meaning these are now ready for Community Day.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
According to Serebii:
“A special new raid boss has been announced for Japan. To tie in with the current Team Rainbow Rocket takeover of the Pokémon Center stores, from February 26th to March 11th, a special raid battle will appear. This is a Raid against Giovanni's Nidoking. This Nidoking is stronger than previous Nidoking Raid bosses that ran in the game until recently. If players succeed in defeating Giovanni's Nidoking, they will receive a special sticker from the staff. The raids run every 90 minutes from 4pm on Weekdays and 11am on Weekends”

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Too many problems have plagued the event, unfortunately. It's affecting us that aren't in Asia / Oceania as well.

Darkmalice

Level 3
Caught a shiny Dratini. It's so cute and pink. I don't dare evolve it!

Too many problems have plagued the event, unfortunately. It's affecting us that aren't in Asia / Oceania as well.
I've had a notable amount of lag / connection problems as well, both with Wifi and mobile data. Getting kicked out of Pokemon battles, including a Slakoth and that same shiny Dratini, and difficulty evolving Dragonair. I originally thought it may have been just my area (had a powercut earlier today), but your post makes me think otherwise. It sounds like you're referring to more than just lag though.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Yea the game has been unplayable in most places for nearly 2 hours now. I have buds in Canada that got errored out of raids and stuff. Logging in has also been abysmal. It's just being horrible right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)