Pokémon Great to Hate

Arceus, Dialga, Giratina, Palkia, Cresselia...can't stand their designs and I'll never use them (not like I play Ubers, but still.)
Arceus especially. Yuck. Just looking at it annoys me haha.

Sort of sick of Honedge already, but that's because I get a million of them in Wonder Trade. At this point I'd rather see a Caterpie...

The whole thing with Charizard getting two Megas kinda irked me. I like Charizard but I do agree he gets too much praise for what he is. And stealth rocks make him cry. But in my play throughs I enjoy using MegaZard Y, hits like a nuke and I have a shiny one, so I'm pretty attached to him. Too bad MegaZard Y lives in MegaZard X's shadow. I think X is way overdone and somewhat ugly, but the Fire/Dragon type is nice. Using it too but I'm liking Y better.

As for underrated Pokemon I love, Scrafty especially. Gen 6 hit him hard with the Fairy type but I still use him, and he's great on my team. (Seriously, Fairy hurt my top 3 favorite types. THANKS...)
Honchkrow too. Always loved this design, I'm into mobsters and Darks are my favorite, and he hits with Sucker Punch hard. Weavile is frail but hits fast and hard and love her design. And can't leave out my favorite, Houndoom. His Mega made me love him even more.

I never really hated any Pokemon I loved but I've liked using Metagross progressively less ever since gen 3.
I second this. I've recently trained a metagross in XY, and the fact that steel doesn't resist ghost and dark now makes him feel so awkward. A super effective night slash on Metagross just doesn't give him that "untouchable" feel he used to have.

I never used Rotom W until this Gen, since I'm pretty new to competitive and need more defensive types. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to have counters to my own Pokemon since the OU ones I use are pretty common, lol.

I never really hated any Pokemon I loved but I've liked using Metagross progressively less ever since gen 3.
I third this, Metagross went from Just looking incredibly powerful and bulky, and being incredibly powerful and bulky to looking brilliant but getting progressively weaker... The de-buff to Steel didn't help him at all. It's like everything since gen 3 has been a de-buff to the big fella though...

Gen 4: Influx of ultra powerful fire and ground types (Mainly ground with Gliscor, Garchomp and Hippowdon but, Heatran also does a job), and the introduction of a Bulkier, less powerful Metagross that can have levitate to negate Ground or heatproof to make fire standard. (Bronzong)
Gen 5: Crap Hidden ability introduced (Light Metal) with his counters getting bigger advantages as well as more counters. (Chandelure, Excadrill)
Gen 6: Ultra De-Buff to his particular typing becoming weak to 2 more types...

Gamefreak seriously decided "F*ck you Metagross".

On Metagross: Metagross was always a top pick in VGC, perhaps Nintendo was actually actively nerfing him? It'd explain the otherwise seemingly random Meteor mash nerf.

On topic: I though Feraligatr line was the bees knees back in the days of gen 2, but for some reason I fell off of it. Probably going to get some angry responses, but I like the Chikorita line much better design wise.

On Metagross: Metagross was always a top pick in VGC, perhaps Nintendo was actually actively nerfing him? It'd explain the otherwise seemingly random Meteor mash nerf.

On topic: I though Feraligatr line was the bees knees back in the days of gen 2, but for some reason I fell off of it. Probably going to get some angry responses, but I like the Chikorita line much better design wise.
Hey, Chikorita was always my favorite starter in Gen 2 as well. The others were okay, but I thought Meganium was better designed. A flower dinosaur! Too bad Meganium is like the worst starter ever, though, in terms of competitiveness.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Pikachu: I thought this was the shit back in the day... But then I turned 13 and decided that Pikachu just didn't deserve the hype it got. As the final nail in the coffin, getting a million of them through Wonder Trade just made me even more sick of this thing.

Lucario: Lucario's kind of a weird case in that to me, it was "Great to Hate to Great." It was by far my favorite Pokemon in Generation IV, but come Generation V I began to prefer other Fighting-types to Lucario and Lucario just kind of got left in the dark. Then Generation VI gave it a Mega Evolution and I was just "This is BADASS!" Now I like Lucario again.

Leafeon: Ugh... I used to like this thing because "yay eeveelution yay" but now... What? Now I look at it and just think its design is poor, and it has no competitive value to make up for it.

Zoroark: This isn't strictly a case of "Great to Hate" as I still like Zoroark, but Zoroark just isn't the same to me anymore. I loved playing around with Illusion in Gen V and that was a HUGE factor in making Zoroark my favorite Pokemon, and Zoroark was still decent thanks to its awesome coverage, but Gen VI came around and the Fairy-type singlehandedly made that awesome coverage shitty. I just can't get the same joy from using Zoroark anymore, knowing how Fairy-types hurt its effectiveness in any tier it will wind up in in XY.

I have a thing against Ferrothorn. It was just so common in Gen V, and so incredibly obnoxious, that I swore to never run Ferrothorn in a team, ever. I still have never used one, even if it wasn't a member of my team. My friends all thought I was crazy, until Gen 6 came along and one of them did the same thing with Aegislash.

Articuno for me, I used to love it so much. Was on every team I made. Then I got into competitive battling where it promptly lost 50% of it health on switch in most of the time and got 1 hit the rest.

I still love he design but can't stand to use it as more than a mascot these days.

If only it's hidden ability was something useful... Snow warning or heatproof would have been awesome.

I'm not a fan of Ferrothorn either. I just have a hard time using Pokemon I don't like design-wise, no matter how good they may be. It is annoying to battle though, with its TWave spamming.

Greninja.....

I used to like Greninja until I realized that literally every single person and their mother has Greninja on their team that I started hating this guy! When Froakie was released it wasn't the popular starter, Frogadier was popular but not unanimously, but now that Greninja is released, it is unanimously popular and spammed to the point that I hate seeing one now. It's kinda like the Charizard of gen 6 now.

I'm not really big on some mons getting evos. I mean, some turned out great, like Weavile, Gligar, etc., but some pokes just really seem good the way they are. I hate to say it, but what do you do with Farfetch'd? I like having several non-viable pokes. Without them, there wouldn't be any backdrop against which to judge powerful pokemon. If every poke became viable, that would be incredibly boring. That's why people don't like later gens, there's much less variety.
RBY OU: 16 Pokémon
GSC OU: 24 Pokémon
RSE OU: 27 Pokémon
DPP OU: 48 Pkémon
BW OU: 50 Pokémon

How does that translate to less variety and how does more viable pokémon make a given metagame boring? If is there anything that kills a game is it becoming stale.

Anyway, I used to love Electrode because it was one of my favorite things to use in Pokémon Stadium (priority Thunder Wave yeah!). Then I tried to use it in game and competitively and was disapointed.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
RBY OU: 16 Pokémon
GSC OU: 24 Pokémon
RSE OU: 27 Pokémon
DPP OU: 48 Pkémon
BW OU: 50 Pokémon

How does that translate to less variety and how does more viable pokémon make a given metagame boring? If is there anything that kills a game is it becoming stale.

Anyway, I used to love Electrode because it was one of my favorite things to use in Pokémon Stadium (priority Thunder Wave yeah!). Then I tried to use it in game and competitively and was disapointed.
A) Too many Pokemon are too similar in OU now, is what he meant.
B) You can use Pokemon under the listing of OU in OU, so the number doesn't really mean anything.

A) Too many Pokemon are too similar in OU now, is what he meant.
B) You can use Pokemon under the listing of OU in OU, so the number doesn't really mean anything.
If by similar you mean a lot of stuff can fulfill the same role at different degrees of effectiveness then yeah, fair point, but this has been true since 1996.
And the numbers of each tier do mean something because it is the number of things you are expected to see. Nothing is stopping you from using whatever terrible pokémon you want in the upper tiers but chances are they have a counter or check for whatever job it was intended to do. There are exceptions, of course (Kyogre can't touch Quagsire) but they are just that, exceptions.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
If by similar you mean a lot of stuff can fulfill the same role at different degrees of effectiveness then yeah, fair point, but this has been true since 1996.
And the numbers of each tier do mean something because it is the number of things you are expected to see. Nothing is stopping you from using whatever terrible pokémon you want in the upper tiers but chances are they have a counter or check for whatever job it was intended to do. There are exceptions, of course (Kyogre can't touch Quagsire) but they are just that, exceptions.
Not really different degrees of effectiveness, I kinda meant something like in RU you have the choice between Alomomola and Quagsire as physical walls and they are both really similar, but one has better typing and movepool the other better bulk overall. Tentacruel and Cloyster can both be water type physically defensive spinners in OU. It's the straight-up same or extremely similar Pokemon.

Also in RU lots of stuff in NU is viable (hell Tauros and Alomomola are Mid A in the viability rankings), UU has the best of both NU and RU strangely enough (even nichemons in UU like Piloswine and Eelektross were enough to get into B tier in the rankings at one point) and OU has some niches. Sawsbuck for example with Chlorophyll on sunny day teams! Just because something isn't OU doesn't make it terrible lol.

Not really different degrees of effectiveness, I kinda meant something like in RU you have the choice between Alomomola and Quagsire as physical walls and they are both really similar, but one has better typing and movepool the other better bulk overall. Tentacruel and Cloyster can both be water type physically defensive spinners in OU. It's the straight-up same or extremely similar Pokemon.
Also in RU lots of stuff in NU is viable (hell Tauros and Alomomola are Mid A in the viability rankings), UU has the best of both NU and RU strangely enough (even nichemons in UU like Piloswine and Eelektross were enough to get into B tier in the rankings at one point) and OU has some niches. Sawsbuck for example with Chlorophyll on sunny day teams! Just because something isn't OU doesn't make it terrible lol.
Whatever dude, this discussion is beyond my initial point that the other guy basically said "more variety = boring" which makes no sense, even if he meant otherwise. Let's go our separate ways.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I used to like Electivire because it was pretty cool and had a pretty neat design; it was pretty cool looking and in general was a cool mon. I used to use Evire a lot when I was a n00b at competitive battling, because I thought I could find it very useful with its ability to hit 13 types super effectively, not to mention it can boost its Speed with Motor Drive.

Of course, eventually, after finding it missing so many KO's and dying do easily, I then realized the cold hard truth.

Scrafty. I LOVED the Dark/Fighting dual typing in BW/BW2 .... but when they introduced Fairy type on XY, suddenly quad-effective on Scrafty and my love for the Pokemon just died... I just can't effectively use him anymore.

That said, Pangoro was my MVP on my Pokemon X playthrough, but perhaps it just boils down to movesets, natures, and IVs.

I used to really like Luxray. Awesome design, used overleveled one in my first Diamond playthrough... and then I discovered that it's useless competitively. I can't bring myself to use it anymore.

Actually, that's not quite true; I wanted to use one in my Platinum Nuzlocke, but it was killed as a Shinx. :(

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
I used to think Umbreon was a cool-looking badass back when I was 9-10 or so, under the naive beief that the eeveelution was the most amazing-looking Pokemon to ever grace the franchise with its elegant black and gold (or blue) fur and crimson eyes. One of the first things I wanted to do in Crystal was to evolve Eevee into that adorable moonlight creature.

Then I returned to Pokemon and I acquired a curse where I keep getting tortured by that demonic moon rabbit at whatever Battle Facility (aside from Maison, which hasn't happened yet) slowly and sadistically tortures me as if I were a victim from one of the Hostel films when I least suspect it. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but "slow and sadistic torture" part is true.

Don't be mistaken, I still find its design very appealing to this just. It's just have a little hatred for the species for personal reasons.

I also always get destroyed by Umbreon, but it had the opposite effect on me: I used to hate it because of its design, but now I really want to use one.

Slurpuff. I loved it at first (thought it was adorable) and was totally gonna use it in my team. Then I realized that it was a stupid mon, sort of a mediocre version of chansey. I still like it, but I've come to call it "stupidorable" because it was to cute to just leave behind in the past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)