Other Tiers Pokémon Stadium 2 Simulator's Bugs, Glitches and other mistakes

Hello all, I created this thread with the purpose of reporting any bugs, glitches or mistakes that appear in the Pokémon Stadium 2 simulator. So far I've only found four mistakes, I'll list them now:

1. Hit Points are not shown: In the original game, the players can see the actual number of Hit Points of the pokémon that are fighting; however, in the simulator this option is absent. Maybe the Hit Points could be shown if any of the players highlighted the sprites of the pokémon that were currently on the field. This mistake was already reported; however, I decided to report it again so we don't forget it.

2. Beat Up doesn't show the name nor the picture of the pokémon species: This mistake was found by Chio. In Pokémon Stadium 2, when you use Beat Up, you can see the picture and the name of the species of all the pokémon that take place in the attack; however, in the Showdown simulator you can only read the nicknames of the pokémon. This change is huge in 3 VS 3 battles because it reveals the identity of the other two pokémon that the player chose. To understand the change better, you can watch the attack's animation in this video (skip to 1:56).

3. Shadow Ball's message: When Shadow Ball reduces the Special Defense of a pokémon, a message says that the pokémon in question got its Special Defense increased. In this case the only problem relies on the text of the message (the pokémon still gets its Special Defense reduced). You can see the mistake on the 30th turn of this match: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2stadiumou-1345815097

4. The Exact Hit Points Percentage Mod rule is absent in the Nintendo Cup 2000 simulator: This rule is necessary in case the TO enforces a turn limit for the tournament. The original game uses the number of remaining Pokémon and the Sum of Hit Points Percentages as a tie braker criteria when the match reaches its turn limit of 90.

5. Two pokémon are unfairly banned in the Nintendo Cup 2000 simualtor: Two Rental Pokémon are banned because they are underleveled, these are Level 50 Dragonite and Level 50 Tyranitar. Pokémon Stadium 2 allows players to rent all the pokémon that are available in the format, all of them are at level 50 and they can't be altered in any way (they have set genders, levels, stats and moves); however, players can give Rental Pokémon any Held Item. Returning to the banned pokémon, here are their stats:

Dragonite (F)
Ability: None
Level: 50
IVs: 14 Atk
- Fly
- Rock Smash
- Dragon Rage
- Leer

Note: Underleveled

Tyranitar (F)
Ability: None
Level: 50
IVs: 14 Atk
- Bite
- Mud-Slap
- Leer
- Sandstorm

Note: Underleveled

Rental pokémon are allowed in all tournaments, in fact, I have footage of a Nintendo Cup 2000 tournament that allowed them.

6. Batton Pass Farfetch'd and Eathquake Gligar are unfairly banned in the Nintendo Cup 2000: Batton Pass Farfetch'd and Earthquake Gligar are still banned if players turn off the !Nintendo Cup 2000 Move Legality Clause. The ban happens because they are mistakenly labeled as Event Pokémon from New York, which is a huge mistake. Batton Pass Farfetch'd and Earthquake Gligar were never given away in the New York City Pokémon Center, they were obtained in the game Pokémon Stadium 2 when players finished the game in the Normal and Hard difficulties respectively. If gift pokémon are considered as Event Pokémon, then, why Extreme Speed Dragonite is also allowed? Same goes for Surfing Pikachu, Amnesia Golduck, Dizzy Punch Jynx and the like, this ban has no sense.

Mistake aside, the simulator works very well so I want to take this opportunity to thank Enigami, Kris, Shellnuts and Zarel for creating the simulator, thank you chums!

Last edited:
Rental pokémon are allowed in all tournaments, in fact, I have footage of a Nintendo Cup 2000 tournament that allowed them.
I mention the suppliment information.

If it allows Pokemon Stadium 2 rental Dragonite(カイリュー) and Tyranitar(バンギラス), we should set all IVs and EVs to a minimum.
You can read about rental pokemon's stats here. For Dragonite and Tyranitar, setting all IV and EV to a minimum will result in the same stats as rental.

レンタルポケモン一覧 (ポケモンスタジアム金銀) - ポケモンWiki

I report it because it seems to be a validation error.
Thunderbolt Raikou has passed the validation of [Gen 2] Nintendo Cup 2000, but this is probably wrong because Raikou's Thunderbolt is Crystal moves.
(Raikou only learns Thunderbolt by paying Coin in Crystal)
新しいビットマップ イメージ.jpg

5. Some Self KO moves: Perish Song and Destiny Bond always fail! Each time a pokémon attempts to use them the simulator displays a message stating that the moves failed because the player only had one pokémon left (the problem is that this also happens when the player has two or more pokémon).
I inform you about the detailed behavior of the current situation.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2nintendocup2000-1376011498
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2nintendocup2000-1377208049-sfdgti7rov9tkduhtz38jtum2o8qc91pw
  • About Perish Song, it shows "failed" in the message even if there are multiple Pokemon left, and it also fails as a function. It is incorrect not only as visual, but also as functional.
  • About Destiny Bond, it always shows "failed" in the message even if there are multiple Pokemon left, but it is successful as functional. And, it's also correct that the side using Destiny Bond when lefting the last one is losing. The problem with this is limited to visual information only.

I've confirmed the fixes for the Crystal moves validation error I posted earlier and "5. Some Self KO moves" bug.
Thanks to everyone who fixed it!
This removes the bugs that most influential for playing and creates an environment where we can play competitively.
I'm very happy with this.

And, as far as I can see, not all bugs have been removed, so I tell the priority of the remaining bugs.
The bugs listed above are as serious as they are.
  1. Bugs that impose restrictions on play
    "1. Hit Points are not shown" and "8. Batton Pass Farfetch'd and Eathquake Gligar are unfairly banned in the Nintendo Cup 2000" have problems when we play competitively.
    If these bugs remain, I need to notify in advance that "The HP of the opponent's Pokemon is not displayed" and "event moves of Pokémon Stadium 2 cannot be used".

Regarding "1. Hit Points are not shown", there is a problem that the move set of the opponent's Pokemon cannot be guessed.
    A skilled NC2000 player sees at the opponent's HP and guesses the Type of Hidden Power and the existence of Substitute.

And regarding "8. Batton Pass Farfetch'd and Eathquake Gligar are unfairly banned in the Nintendo Cup 2000", there is a problem that "Eathquake Gligar" which may be viable is prohibited.
    This is not important as it is a species that was not listed in my recently made Viable Rankings, but Gliger is a species that it can be listed in Viable Rankings realistically, and Gliger's most strength is the presence of Earthquake. So, it is not completely problem-free.

2. Bugs that can affect play theoretically
    "2. Beat Up doesn't show the name nor the picture of the pokémon species" and "7. Two pokémon are unfairly banned in the Nintendo Cup 2000 simualtor" can affect play theoretically.
    However, in competitive play, it is unlikely that the use of "Beat Up" or "Rental pokémon" will be rational, so it is just that the environment cannot be reproduced correctly.

3. Bugs that can be avoided in operations
    "3. Shadow Ball's message" is fine as long as the player knows the correct specifications.
    Also, about "4. Double Edge" and "6. The Exact Hit Points Percentages Mod rule is absent in the Nintendo Cup 2000 simulator", the players can be read the result differently if the player knows the correct specifications.

With the implementation of the ladder, I found some issues.

I've confirmed the fixes for the Crystal moves validation error I posted earlier and "5. Some Self KO moves" bug.
I reported that this bug was fixed, but the information was inaccurate.
The "Destiny Bond" message was not fixed. There was also a bug report from the ladder player.
image0.jpg

This bug is equivalent to "3. Bugs that can be avoided in operations" because only the message is a problem, but it's a frequently used move and many players care about it, so we may want to raise the priority a little.

4. Double Edge: Double Edge doesn't cause Recoil damage when a pokémon KOs another, this happens in the original game, but only if you KO your opponent's last pokémon.
This bug is fine in tournaments where you can correct match results, but it can be a problem in ladder.
In the ladder, this bug is equivalent to "1. Bugs that impose restrictions on play" and need to be known.
(I've actually seen a match that was settled using "Double-Edge" instead of "Hyper Beam"(has a poorer hit accuracy) due to the existence of this rule.)

6. The Exact Hit Points Percentages Mod rule is absent in the Nintendo Cup 2000 simulator: This rule is necessary in case the TO enforces a turn limit for the tournament. The original game uses the number of remaining Pokémon and the Sum of Hit Points Percentages as a tie braker criteria when the match reaches its turn limit of 90.
Regarding this bug, there is a concern that the ladder players are playing virtually without a Turn limit because there is no TO mediation.
Matches over 90 turns are rare in NC2000, and NC2000 is often played without Turn limits (eg offline meetings in Japan), but we need to be aware that the ladder players may be playing on that way.

My friend Kitty found three new mistakes in the Pokémon Stadium 2 and Nintendo Cup 2000 simulators, these are the following:

1. Destiny Bond's message: If the move is used two or more times in a row, the game says that the move failed on turns 2 onward; fortunately, the move succeeds regarless of the message. This mistake is minor, so it can be ignored.

2. Destiny Bond's mistake: This one is tricky, let's say that Gengar is fighting a Tauros or a Snorlax with Quick Claw. On turn 1 Gengar goes first and uses Destiny Bond, then Tauros or Snorlax use a move that doesn't KO it so Destiny Bond fails. The problem comes on turn 2, if Tauros wins the Speed Tie and KOs Gengar or if Snorlax moves first due to Quick Claw and KOs Gengar, Destiny Bond activates and KOs Tauros/Snorlax too, something that shouldn't happen.

3. Encore works against Roar/Whirlwind: In situations where there is only one Pokémon left on each side, Encore should work againtst a Pokémon that used Roar/Whirlwind; however, Encore should fail if it is used by a Pokémon that was forcefully summoned by Roar/Whirlwind. Let's say that Zapdos and Clefable are fighting against Steelix. On turn 1, Steelix Roars Zapdos away and Clefable comes in; now if Clefable uses Encore, it fails. The last behavior doesn't happen in the simulator, there Encore works, something that shouldn't happen.

4. Gligar and Farfetch'd: I know that I have reported this before but Earthquake Gligar and Batton Pass Farfetch'd are still banned if the restriction on Crystal/Stadium 2 Moves is lifted. This is annoying because players can't use Earthquake Gligar nor Batton Pass Farfetch'd and no, just because both Pokémon suck doesn't mean that we shouldn't care about this innacuracy and leave it unfixed. I've been trying to use my Gligar and Farfetch'd teams in the ladder and each time I get frustrated when the simulator says that my teams are illegal because my Pokémon have Event Moves (Earthquake on Gligar and Batton Pass on Farfetch'd are not Event Moves).

That's all for now, thanks for reading my message.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)