Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it seems Topsy-Turvy reverses the stats of opponents Pokemon rather than itself. I saw this coming but....my god, I hope this thing isn't too fast. it would be the end of Buffs forever if this move gets too much distribution.

So, it seems Topsy-Turvy reverses the stats of opponents Pokemon rather than itself. I saw this coming but....my god, I hope this thing isn't too fast. it would be the end of Buffs forever if this move gets too much distribution.

I don't think it would be too much of a disaster even if it does get good distribution. We do fine with boosting sweepers at present, even with encore and taunt running around, many prankster Pokemon have access to those boost-preventing moves also. Topsy-Turvy would be treated the same, Switch to a counter.

There's a part of me hoping that nobody finds out how to abuse the RNG or produces an AR-type hacking tool. While it would screw the math of the competitive scene, it would bring back that random element that makes it feel more unpredictable. Maybe you get a really strong 'mon, or maybe not, but there's that element of discovery. We never had those numerical advantages in Gen 1, and it didn't diminish the experience. I'd like to return to that. I have to admit, the barrage of data on IVs and EVs has really taken away a HUGE part of the fun of the experience of playing these games. Lose 'em.

The official site says that Topsy-Turvy targets another Pokemon.
Awesome phazing move confirmed. I wonder if it's blocked by sub or affected by evasion boosts.
This can completely, utterly spoil BP chains and a stat-upper's day.

I can also see use in double battles.
A pokemon could use DM/LS/OH and then be TTed by its partner thus giving it a Nasty Plot.
There could also be unplanned situations where it proves useful (like TT-ing an annoying double-intimidate).

I wonder how it will interact with abilities that involve auto stat changes.
If something with Defiant is at +2 Atk and is TTed to -2 Atk will the rules of Defiant trigger and max its Atk ( -2 + (4 stage change x 2 = 8 ) = +6)?
Also, would something similar happen with Contrary Pokemon so that the computed -4 stage drop (due to TT at +2) is immediately reversed maxing attack?
Or maybe the changes from TT will just be ignored by those abilities. One thing to test when the games are out.

The only downside I see for Topsy-Turvy is that (assuming it has neutral priority) then many (if not all) set-up sweepers will actually move before Topsy-Turvy can be used. So, if Malamar wants to counter a random Dragon Dancer, say, then it'll have to tank a +1 attack first, before it can nerf it's stats. This could still be OK though, because if it gets recover then it can just spend the next turn getting it's health back by (hopefully) outspeeding at -1 (thanks to Topsy-Turvy) or at least tanking the second -1 attack.

food for thought - the theme of this game is 'beauty'.
What if team Flair's goal isn't just to make money, it's to 'beautify' everything? However their ideals of beauty are shallow and skin-deep. The protagonist overthrows them and shows that true beauty comes from within, or something corny but inspiring like that.

Perhaps they want to get hold of Yveltal to destroy everything ugly and Xerneas to recreate the world with more beauty?

Hipster ditto, using imposter + choice scarf to ruin stat boosters before it was cool. Topsy turby aint got nuthin on imposta... Speaking of Ditto, it would be nice if quick powder worked while transformed in 6th gen. VERY nice.

food for thought - the theme of this game is 'beauty'.
What if team Flair's goal isn't just to make money, it's to 'beautify' everything? However their ideals of beauty are shallow and skin-deep. The protagonist overthrows them and shows that true beauty comes from within, or something corny but inspiring like that.

Perhaps they want to get hold of Yveltal to destroy everything ugly and Xerneas to recreate the world with more beauty?
The themes of the games usually aren't so literal

I'm guessing they want the legends because they would bring in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So Pokebeach says a new spider tree pokemon was revealed in an ad for the movie, people are saying is grass/ghost
anyone has found other sources about this?

Edit: Darn Ninjasks! >:O

Expecting Honedge to be either physically oriented with above par attack and defense, average HP and sub par SpD and SpAtt. Speed is also probably going to be really low.

On the other hand, I could see it as being (although wildly gimmicky) with a base like 165 Att stat, with all other stats being poor. I mean... It's a sword.

I like Malamar, but isn't a bit strange that it's name is a marshmallow pie? Either way, he should prove to be interesting for a battle strategy.

Serebii has also confirmed it, I believe its safe to say it's legit. (Not because Serebii said so, but because we have 3 trusted people saying the same thing)

Orotto really is real! and it's an Ent/Treant!
They just keep pulling out one awesome design after another, but I wonder why they would show a Grass/Ghost when the last new generation Pokémon to get revealed at the movies was Victini...maybe Orotto has some sub-plot revolving around the species in-game? I can imagine having to stop Team Flare from harming a hoard of Ents in one of the forests, but I'm getting ahead of everything here.

On another topic, I'm unhappy with the screenshots of the evolution animation, as the process doesn't look very flattering or interesting.

Orotto really is real! and it's an Ent/Treant!
They just keep pulling out one awesome design after another, but I wonder why they would show a Grass/Ghost when the last new generation Pokémon to get revealed at the movies was Victini...maybe Orotto has some sub-plot revolving around the species in-game? I can imagine having to stop Team Flare from harming a hoard of Ents in one of the forests, but I'm getting ahead of everything here.
They showed it with a XY commercial like how Patrat was shown

there is no greater significance than "It is a pokemon in the game"

That tree pokemon sketch looks like angry broccoli. Exciting idea though, since these latest leaks have been a bit more "childish" (not the right word, but non-frightening and cute looking). It'll be cool to see more mons like Pangoro and Honedge, that look a bit tougher. Grass/Dark is the obvious guess, though Grass/Rock would be new and could be thematic. How about a growing petrified tree?

They showed it with a XY commercial like how Patrat was shown

there is no greater significance than "It is a pokemon in the game"
:I You don't know that.
I don't mean to say that it's a Pokémon that's going to have any special treatment like pseudo legendary status, especially if what WPM meant was that its debut was as the opponent in a hoard battle, but even Patrat had some signifigance as being one of the first species you encounter in BW, so having just a Grass/Ghost type that's merely "a pokemon in the game" seems like an odd choice if we're looking at the way they leaked new Pokémon at the end of gen IV.

Ok..

If you're not joking, it's named after malicious and calamar (a synonym for squid)

If you are joking and that was a pun then go here http://www.4shared.com/music/iyZQXOfi/Crowd_Boo_Medium_02.htm
Ok..

If you're not joking, it's named after malicious and calamar (a synonym for squid)

If you are joking and that was a pun then go here http://www.4shared.com/music/iyZQXOfi/Crowd_Boo_Medium_02.htm
Ok..

That wasn't a pun. I just thought it was Nintendo running low on ideas. Thanks for clarifying its name.

so the japanese site update aaaand

Hey turns out bulbapedia was right & Pangoro probably does have Mold Breaker. I...think, anyway. Third line down is abilities, and the first one is Iron Fist. The second one has most of Mold Breaker's characters except for the last one so idk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)