Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible, although extremely improbable given the math. A 0 IV/0 EV neutral nature Politoed with crit/rain/stab/LO boosted Hydro Pump does 53.4% - 63.1% to a 252 HP/252 SpD Calm Cresselia (which is a tiny bit bulkier (120HP/130SpD) than any potential Sylveon stat spread anyone has guessed for this).

The only way this could be possible is if that Politoed is built almost as bad as it could be and the Sylveon is built very close to as bulky as it can possibly be. It's quite a stretch, however not impossible.

I think that it's more likely that someone misheard critical hit, because without the crit sylveon could easily live the hit and retaliate with draining kiss, making up for some of the difference. With leftovers it's a 3hko

I think that it's more likely that someone misheard critical hit, because without the crit sylveon could easily live the hit and retaliate with draining kiss, making up for some of the difference. With leftovers it's a 3hko
I just gave you the math. I'm not sure why you're still speculating things.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
So Sylveon's looking to have Base 95/X/X/110/130/X Stats now since it can take a Crit Rain Hydro Pump THAT well and still OHKO Salamence with Moon Blast. Either that or Moon Blast is insanely powerful to OHKO Mence from a Base 65 SpA Stat, which seems unlikely.

I'd also like to point out that Draining Kiss healing for the full amount of damage dealt seems to be confirmed since Sylveon was healed for far more than half the damage it did.

I just gave you the math. I'm not sure why you're still speculating things.
Because I decided to give politoed full evs and and perfect IVs too with a timid nature(what some people were speculating it being). I don't think it was a critical hit though. That's what separates my math from your math.

Assuming Sylveon has 110 Hp 130 SpD and maximum investment, and Politoed has no offensive investment, hydro pump should have dealt 70-82%. It clearly didn't. If Politoed had offensive investment, which is extremely likely, then the attack should have done more damage. This leaves a couple options (from least likely to most likely):

1 - Sylveon has higher single stats than the other eevelutions.
2 - The damage formula has been reworked. Highly unlikely, but would troll sooo many speculators.
3 - The damage boost from rain / life orb / critical hits has been nerfed.
4 - Sylveon has some ability we don't know about that makes it more tanky, but no ability bar popped out which makes me think not
5 - Sylveon is holding a new defensive item that reduces damage from crits or adds SpDef or something. This is my favorite option.
6 - It wasn't actually a crit. :(

Edit: Because draining kiss looked like it healed a roughly the same percentage of HP that it did in damage, I suspect Sylveon actually has 95 HP. This makes it unexpected survival even more mysterious.

Last edited:

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Because I decided to give politoed full evs and and perfect IVs too with a timid nature(what some people were speculating it being). I don't think it was a critical hit though. That's what separates my math from your math.
It's not some big mystery that it crit, hell it's not even debatable. It's the Japanese language. Some people speak it.

Now a sensible thing might be that they lowered the crit damage output. It always has been one of the more obnoxious parts of the series, so Game Freak taking that into consideration when making X/Y isn't out of the question. It also wouldn't be the first time they nerfed something about crits.

Assuming Sylveon has 110 Hp 130 SpD and maximum investment, and Politoed has no offensive investment, hydro pump should have dealt 70-82%. It clearly didn't. If Politoed had offensive investment, which is extremely likely, then the attack should have done more damage. This leaves a couple options (from least likely to most likely):

1 - Sylveon has higher single stats than the other eevelutions.
2 - The damage formula has been reworked. Highly unlikely, but would troll sooo many speculators.
3 - The damage boost from rain / life orb / critical hits has been nerfed.
4 - Sylveon has some ability we don't know about that makes it more tanky, but no ability bar popped out which makes me think not
5 - Sylveon is holding a new defensive item that reduces damage from crits or adds SpDef or something. This is my favorite option.
The only known ability sylveon has is cute charm. I think that number 3 is most likely. Rain being nerfed I mean. Not much else makes sense to me right now. Number 5 is also plausible, sort of like an item variation of lucky chant

It's not some big mystery that it crit, hell it's not even debatable. It's the Japanese language. Some people speak it.

Now a sensible thing might be that they lowered the crit damage output. It always has been one of the more obnoxious parts of the series, so Game Freak taking that into consideration when making X/Y isn't out of the question. It also wouldn't be the first time they nerfed something about crits.
I'm just trying to make sense of it

Every other Eevelution has a BST of 525, with the same 6 numbers shuffled into different stats. Why would they make Sylveon different than his brothers/sisters?
Perhaps they got tired of remixing the same stats?

It's also possible that they just made some changes to nerf rain.

Every other Eevelution has a BST of 525. Why would they make Sylveon better?
uh because sylveon is like the king of the eeveeis

or certainly looks like more then just another eevee

-new eevees were introduced two at a time this eevee by itself
-fairy type which is a new type of which there has not been a new one in quite some time

so that is why sylveon is special and why it's stats could be higher then the other eevees. you never know.

It is very much possible. We're not speculating here. We saw what happened, so we just have to find out a scenario in which this could have happened. Since it seems so improbable, especially it being a critical hit, we can safely assume this:

Politoed with a SpA-hindering Nature (0 SpA EV | 0 SpA IV) | Placeholder with SpD-boosting Nature (0 SpD & HP EVs | 0 SpD & HP IV)

Case 1 (110 HP, 130 SpD): Adamant Life Orb Politoed doing Rain-boosted STAB Critical Hit Hydro Pump does 67.57% - 80% damage.

Case 2 (130 HP, 110 SpD): With 130 HP and 110 SpD instead, the output is 70.81% - 83.51% damage.

So by simply assuming that Politoed has a SpA-hindering Nature and Sylveon has a SpD-boosting nature, we see that Sylveon won't be KOed.

uh because sylveon is like the king of the eeveeis
No.

or certainly looks like more then just another eevee
No.

-new eevees were introduced two at a time this eevee by itself
We don't know every Generation VI Pokémon yet. Maybe there's another Eeveelution.

-fairy type which is a new type of which there has not been a new one in quite some time
Dark type was introduced in Generation II, the same generation in which Umbreon, a Dark-type Eeveelution was also introduced. Umbreon follows the Eeveelutions' BST pattern (95/65/110/60/130/65).

so that is why sylveon is special and why it's stats could be higher then the other eevees.
No.

Last edited:
Here's a possibility: The game was set up/played in such a way that the gen6ers would win. The teams seemed to be using competitive strategies, yet not nearly enough protects/switches were thrown out. It really seemed that once in a while something was allowed to be KO'd so that the battle could be close, and short.

Here's a possibility: The game was set up/played in such a way that the gen6ers would win. The teams seemed to be using competitive strategies, yet not nearly enough protects/switches were thrown out. It really seemed that once in a while something was allowed to be KO'd so that the battle could be close, and short.
All as part of Obama's plan to take our guns... XD

Anyways I think you could be right. I wouldn't put it past nintendo. I even suspect they released the pokebeach rumors on purpose to stir up interest while keeping the big stuff (mega-evolutions) secret.

Competitive Pokemon meets professional wrestling?

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Yes, and to anyone going to PAX: Use Sylveon's Fairy Wind on the Wild Exeggutor and try to get Sycamore's Crobat to use a Poison move on Sylveon as well.

It annoys me that no one has done this for 2 whole conventions now.

Well for the Sycamore battle, you only have Mewtwo, so the second part is impossible. To anyone who has now watched the english gameplay, on the screen for switching pokemon, what the heck is the "restore" button?

at 2:49

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Laughing my head off at "Trainer used Hyper Potion. Chespin is thrilled to bits!" and "Chespin is in a bit of a pinch. It looks like it might cry..." for some reason.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
It's probably a streamlined way of healing your Pokemon. Press the option and it give you a list of only items that can be used to heal the Pokemon's specific conditions; like if you're poisoned, it won't list items to heal sleep and burn.

They have been trying to streamline items since BW1 and it's a trend I really like.

Yes, and to anyone going to PAX: Use Sylveon's Fairy Wind on the Wild Exeggutor and try to get Sycamore's Crobat to use a Poison move on Sylveon as well.

It annoys me that no one has done this for 2 whole conventions now.
The Sycamore battle redoes your team. You don't get a Mewtwo tacked on, your entire team is replaced by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)