Challenge Pokémon Y no damage run with level cap

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
After watching a couple "no damage runs" on Youtube and in particular flyingfalcons7 run on Pokémon Y, I knew that with a lot of optimization, the Pokémon games had the potential to be beaten without taking damage and with much stricter rules. For my first no damage run ever, I chose Pokémon XY because it has many ressources that felt like it'd make the challenge easier, like the Super Training, the huge Pokédex and the biking loop in Luminose City to name a few. So I came up with the following rules to turn a fun Youtube challenge into a hard challenge that requires very thorough planning:
- If one of my Pokémon takes any kind of damage (direct hit, weather, recoil, status etc...), I have to reset to the first battle of the game (1st Shauna fight basically)
- My Pokémon must respect a level cap: before challenging the next Gym Leader, I cannot use a Pokémon in battle that has a level that is higher than the next Gym Leader's Ace. For example, before fighting Viola, I can't use a lvl 13 Pokémon in battle, since her Vivillon is lvl 12, but once I do challenge her, it's fine if my Farfetch'd levels up to lvl 13 during the battle.
- Shedinja is banned. Additionally, Pokémon-Amie and O-Powers are banned.
- Damage taken in "friendly battles" doesn't count. Basically, a friendly battle is a battle whose outcome does not influence the main story line, as losing one of those battles doesn't result in a wipe out. The reason I have this rule is to prevent me from losing 80% of my runs to the fight against Korrina which is otherwise completely out of my hands. I'll get into that specific fight later.
- I may play in "shift" mode and can catch and breed how many Pokémon as I want (without taking damage of course).
- I can reset to any save point as much as I want as long as I don't take damage, except during the middle of a turn in a battle. For example if I use Stone Edge and miss, I have to take the L and can't reset until I land it, but if I start a battle and before clicking any move I notice something is off (wrong lead or I'm missing a move/an item/pps), I can reset.

That's it for the rules. This challenge took me 8 attempts (1 attempt = I play until I beat the game or take damage), which honestly could've been better if not for some dumb mistakes. Now I'll explain the strategies I used, which I broke down into several parts.

The main strategies:
I never used moves that could miss, and generally only went for strategies that gave me 100% winrate (unless in one battle where I had no choice). I planned the entire game before even starting my first run so that I wouldn't make a choice that I'd regret later. To train my Pokémon, I abused the broken Exp. Share system and as soon as the daycare was available, I trained all of my Pokémon in it, especially after reaching Lumiose City. To avoid losing some useful moves in the daycare, I shifted them to the last moveslots. I tried to use as little mons as possible and give certain mons multiple purposes in the run (for example I knew I needed a Cloyster for the league, and caught it early to beat the grass gym as well instead of training a Staraptor). I immediately super trained all the mons I knew would be useful throughout the whole run like Lucario, Charmander or Shellder.

The first choices:
First comes the version I used. I played on Pokémon Y and not X because Mega-Charizard-Y is vital to this run, you'll see later why. Cloyster is also exclusive to Y.
Then as the main character I chose the girl, which is also vital to the run. As my starter I chose Chespin, which is also necessary to make the rival fights easier. I'll explain later in more detail why those things are important. Although Chespin is not very good for this kind of challenge, there are many good Pokémon available in this game so I really didn't mind having to put my starter in the pc for the entire challenge if it makes some tough battles more doable.
1644925025691.png
1644924882070.png

The early battles:
As mentioned earlier, the first battle in this run is against Shauna, but since it counts as a friendly battle, I didn't have to reset to get the rng I need, which was much appreciated. The next battle was much more problematic however. There is an unskippable trainer on route 2 with a level 5 Zigzagoon. Even with 252 attack EVs, an Adamant Nature and decent attack IVs, Chespin's Vine Whip wasn't strong enough at its current level to OHKO it, so I had to level it up to lvl 10. Thankfully, all Pokémon on Route 2 have a 100% catch rate, and I got 10 Poké Balls, so I could just catch some Pokémon to gain experience until my Chespin could OHKO some wild Pokémon. I used this opportunity to catch two Bunnelby (one of which happened to be shiny) and a Caterpie which will be important later. After reaching lvl 10, I was able to beat the Zigzagoon as well as the Pikachu in the forest. After those two fights, Chespin basically became unnecessary and I didn't need it for the rest of the run.

The hardest battle in this challenge:
Then came the only battle in this challenge which I had no way to win 100% of the time: the first gym. Viola's team is extremely annoying for this challenge with a combination of Surskit with Quick Attack and Vivillon with high defenses and high speed, making it difficult to outspeed and OHKO.
1644936639573.png
On top of this, she has bad AI, meaning she has 1/3 Chances to use Quick Attack. With no strong priority users or ghost types available, my only chance is to pray for the 2/3. But then comes the question of how I'm going to outspeed and OHKO Vivillon. And for that the best candidate was Quacklin', the in-game trade Farfetch'd in Santalune city (this is why the first Bunnelby was needed). This Farfetch'd comes with a guaranteed Jolly Nature and 31 Speed IVs, meaning that it easily outspeeds Vivillon with EV investment. The problem is to OHKO it. Even with max attack at level 13, it's a roll:
Lvl 13 252 Atk Farfetch’d Aerial Ace vs. Lvl 12 0 HP / 0 Def (22 IVs) Vivillon: 42-50 (97.6 - 116.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
So basically for this gym fight I needed to reset in front of the npc until he gave me a Farfetch'd with 31 atk IVs (30 IVs makes the roll even lower), then EV train it to get 252 Atk and 104 Spe and get both no Quick Attack and the roll (or I miss the roll and the Vivillon goes for Harden) which is a 5/9. Out of my 8 attemps, 3 lost to that fight. In my 8th attempt, I missed the range on Vivillon but it used Harden so I was still able to win.
1644928514328.png

Optimizing Captures:
Right after the gym I get the Exp. Share from Viola's sister, which will be an important item for this run. First of all, it allows me to level up my very weak Caterpie into Butterfree, which has Compound Eyes, and learns Sleep Powder at lvl 12. With its ability, Sleep Power has 97.5% accuracy, which is very good, but not quite enough for this challenge. Thankfully, Wide Lens is given early on in Luminose City, which allows Butterfree to have a 100% accurate Sleep Powder. Having that is vital for this run, as the combination of Sleep and Dusk Ball gives me the highest catch rate while not risking taking damage and allows me to catch any Pokémon with a catch rate of 90 or higher that isn't immune to sleep powder or that has a priority move.
Another Pokémon that is gonna be very useful to catch Pokémon is Ralts, with its ability Synchronize. This ability has the following effect outside of battles : if a Pokémon with Synchronize is in the first slot in the party (even if fainted) when a wild Pokémon is encountered, there is a 50% chance that the game will force it to have the same Nature as the Pokémon in the first slot. With the help of the daycare, I got myself a Ralts with a Naughty Nature, one with a Modest Nature, and one with a Naive Nature. Most of my mons from now on will have one of those 3 Natures. The only downside of Ralts is that I can't have Butterfree and Ralts at the same time in the first slot, so I can only use Ralts to catch Pokémon that can't break free from a Quick Ball. It's also pretty slow, and since I get the smoke ball very late in the game, I'll have to evolve my 3 Ralts into Gardevoir to be able to flee against wild Pokémon. On top of that, Quick Balls aren't buyable until Coumarine City, and I only get 3 in Luminose City, so I'll have to use them wisely.

From Luminose City to the second gym:
Without any surprise I take Charmander as my second starter, as it's the main reason why I play on Pokémon Y in the first place. Then comes route 5 which has a double battle with a Minun and a Plusle which both have Quick Attack as their only attacking move. With no ghost type available yet, my best strategy is to have only one Pokémon in my party so that the battle doesn't activate. There's only one unskippable trainer which only has a Corphish so that's not an issue. The real trouble comes on route 7, where there is a mandatory multi battle against Tierno and Trevor with Calem as my partner. There are many Multi Battles in this game and they all have one thing in common: the partner is a 1100 ELO ladder player that can't be counted on. My best strategy in this type of battle is to K.O. both opponents with a strong multi target move like Earthquake. That's not an option here tho, as Trevor leads with a Pikachu that knows Quick Attack:
1644926315649.png

Thankfully, Tierno leads with a Corphish that only has Vice Grip to deal damage, which I can use to my advantage by bringing a ghost type to this fight. I trained a Honedge with a +speed nature to the point where it'd outspeed and OHKO both Pikachu and Flabebe, while Corphish stands there and does nothing. This Honedge has been trained very specifically for two fights later in the game so I'll go later into more detail about its moves and stats. Right after this multi battle is another multi battle, this time against two team flare grunt which have Croagunk and Scraggy. Since they're both weak to Flying, I brought a Wide Lens Swoobat to this fight with Air Cutter to K.O. them both at the same time. Since I needed my Swoobat to have a +SpA Nature to OHKO Scraggy, I used one of my Quick Balls along with my Modest Kirlia in the first slot to catch it. I take Amaura as my fossil and head up to the Geosenge Town Pokémon Center before going to the Cyllage City Gym. The gym leader is pretty easy to beat, as Honedge does 3 million damage to Amaura and with a bit of training and a good nature my own Amaura is able to outspeed and OHKO the Tyrunt with Aurora Beam. After exiting the Gym, I immediately Teleport back to Geosenge Town, which allows me to avoid some Team Flare grunts with Sucker Punch that appear on route 10 after getting the badge (this is a slightly modified version of a strat used in speedruns).
1644929258609.png
1644929360702.png

The hardest grind in this run:
After getting rid of Team Flare by activating the cutscene, I go back to route 9 and use my naught Gardevoir and my second Quick Ball to catch a Moxie Sandile with 25 Atk IVs (I need high IVs for later), and catch a modest Nidorino on route 11 (it can't touch Honedge so this capture was free) which I evolve into Nidoking to defeat a Granbull in reflection cave. Aside from the Granbull, all other mons are easily defeated by Krokorok and Honedge. Then comes the fight that gave me the most headaches: the second (and third) rival fight. His Meowstic and Braixen are defeated by Protect Krokorok, but the biggest problem comes from his Absol. It has Quick Attack. In this challenge, my options to circumvent priority moves are either through good AI (good trainers will almost always go for their strongest moves and priority moves are weak), by using a strong priority move myself, or by being immune to it. Since Calem has bad AI, I can't manipulate him into not clicking Quick Attack by using a mon like Dwebble, which obviously takes more damage from Bite than from Quick Attack. There's no mach punch/vacuum wave user either so I can't rely on my own priority either. My only option is to use a faster ghost type that can outspeed and OHKO it, but at this stage of the game there's none, or so I thought. There's actually a way to do that with Honedge and with the female main character. The rival has different natures depending on whether its Serena or Calem:
1644926349478.png

If I choose the female protagonist, his Absol will have a relaxed nature in this fight, and a quiet nature in the next one, meaning that a Jolly Honedge with at least 11 Speed IVs and 252 EVs can outspeed it without going over the lvl caps (32 and 34). To OHKO it tho it's more complicated. It learns Sacred Sword at lvl 47, but with my level cap I can't use a lvl 47 Honedge in battle. However, nothing prevents me from having a lvl 47 Honedge in the daycare, or even two of them. That's exactly what I did. Before doing the multi battle, I put a male and a female Honedge in the daycare and ran at full speed with the rollers until they both learned Sacred Sword. Then I had them breed to get eggs with Sacred Sword (and Iron Head as). I did that until I got one with a + speed nature and at least 7 Atk IVs and 11 Speed IVs. The Honedge I got had a Jolly nature, middling atk IVs and very good speed IVs. With the Black Belt I picked up in Reflection Cave, this was a guaranteed OHKO. And thus I was able to win the rival fight. Funnily enough I had a run die to this battle, not to the Absol but to the Braixen. I thought it was part psychic type and used Crunch.
1644928997771.png
1644930871602.png

Korrina: the easiest and hardest fights for this challenge.
The fighting type gym is extremely easy. Almost all Pokémon don't have any way of touching Honedge, so I was able to get free Swords Dance and I easily swept the gym. Korrina is no exception. The big problem is the fight against Korrina on top of the tower. She gives you a Mega-Lucario and immediately fights you with her own Mega-Lucario. I can't use any other team member for this fight, and I don't have the time to teach any TMs or to EV train the Lucario. I have to battle her with her Lucario just as it is. Her Lucario will always use Power Up Punch, and my Lucario can only OHKO it if I get 5 hits with Bone Rush or 4 with crits. If I hadn't done anything to the rules, I'd have to gamble my runs after grinding so hard to this Bone Rush luck. That's why I added the friendly battle clause. Aside from that, she gives us a Hasty Lucario with 25 IVs in both attacking stats and 31 in Speed along with a Lucarionite which is extremely valuable.
1644935184597.png
1644929125756.png

Ramos not so easy:
Next is the Coumarine gym. The gym leader Ramos is known for being very weak and forgettable and while he isn't much of a problem, his Jumpluff being very fast and his Gogoat being pretty bulky made the battle not that easy and I had to make some preparations. I got a Good Rod at the harbor and went back to route 8 with Teleport to fish for a naughty Shellder with Skill Link against which I used my last Quick Ball. I couldn't go to the Coumarine Pokémon Center yet because I needed to keep my teleporting point in Shalour City to avoid having to fight a trainer with Zangoose (which potentially has Quick Attack) on the way back. I made a video that shows better why I needed to teleport. I trained the Shellder a bit and gave it a Water Stone to easily defeat Ramos with Ice Shard and Icicle Spear. The rival fight before the gym went just like the previous one.
1644935025855.png

The Kalos Power Plant:
While very weak and unproblematic in a normal playthrough, the Team Flare is a huge issue in this challenge. They love Multi Battles and have many Pokémon with Sucker Punch. In the Kalos Power Plant, 3 grunts have a Croagunk with Sucker Punch, and since they all have terrible IA I can't manipulate them into not using it. The 3 Croagunks have the same moveset: Sucker Punch, Revenge, Mud Bomb and Swagger. I noticed that If I used a Ghost/Flying Pokémon, I'd be immune to all of their attacks as long as I don't use any attack. So I developed the following strategy: catch a Drifloon on route 8, throw balls at the Croagunk until it has only 1 Sucker Punch PP left, then use a Full Heal on the last Sucker Punch PP, since it usually goes for a Swagger before running out of PPs, and finish it off with an Acrobatics. If you're confused, you can watch this clip of me using the strategy. The rest of the Power Plant goes very smoothly with Mega-Lucario and Mind Plate Gardevoir.

Finally good AI:
Next comes the electric gym, which has many Quick Attack users. The first one is a Raichu from a gym trainer which only has electric and normal type attacks, so for this fight I simply catch a Golett on route 10 which is immune to both. Then comes the gym leader. Both his Emolga and his Heliolisk have Quick Attack. That's not an issue however, since he actually has good AI and won't ever use it against Mega-Charizard-Y, as Thunderbolt deals way more damage. The real problem is his Magneton with Sturdy. I could quickly deal with it by using Bone Rush Lucario, but since it doesn't have 100% accuracy even with Wide Lens, I train a Hariyama with Fake Out and Dig to safely take it out.
1644935922542.png
1644935824645.png

Two easy gyms and some battles against Team Flare:
The 6th gym battle is pretty straightforward: Aegislash takes out Mr. Mime and Sylveon while being immune to Quick Attack and Charizard takes out Mawile. The Poké Ball factory requires more preparation because it features a multi battle with Liepard and Manectric. For that battle I train my Krokorok to lvl 48 (which is the next lvl cap) until it learns Earthquake and then let it evolve into Krookodile. With Soft Sand I easily OHKO both Pokémon at the same time as well as my rival's Meowstic (which is extremely satisfying). On route 15 I visit the lost hotel where Rotom can be found on tuesdays. Since it only knows ghost and electric moves, my shiny Diggersby is able to safely catch it. Then comes the battle against Team Flare in Frost Cavern, which features neither Sucker Punch nor a Multi Battle so it's an easy win. Before fighting the 7th gym I have to fight my rival, which this time has a new addition to his team, a Jolteon. This is where choosing Chespin as my starter is very important, because the eeveelution the rival gets depends on my starter. Each eeveelution has Quick Attack, but Jolteon is significantly easier to beat since it can't do anything to my Golett, whereas Flareon comes along with Water Shuriken Greninja and Quick Attack Frogadier, and Vaporeon is very difficult to OHKO with a ghost type (I'd need a +SpA Rotom with very good IVs). Chespin makes my life significantly easier for this fight and the final one. The 7th Gym is very easy, and I'm able to sweep with my Aegislash, which has such good Speed IVs that it's able to outspeed her Meowstic.
1644936097089.png
1644936003411.png

The hardest Team Flare section:
After getting the badge, I now head to Luminose City to take out Team Flare once and for all. It's now gonna be easy however, as the Lysandre Labs and the Team Flare HQ feature 4 Sucker Punch users and a Weavile with both Quick Attack and Ice Shard. The first priority user is this Mightyena:
1644936585059.png

There are two big problems: it only has dark type moves, and it has Intimidate. If not for Intimidate, I'd be able to OHKO it with Mega-Lucario's Extreme Speed but I can't. And since it has only two 80 BP dark type moves, it will randomly chose one of the two, meaning I can't manipulate the AI. My only option is to kill it with my own priority. While I said Intimidate, it can actually be an advantage with certain abilities, and that's why I used Sucker Punch Bisharp. However, even with the +1 boost given by Defiant, it's still pretty hard to kill it since it's not very effective. I can barely OHKO it at lvl 59 (which is exactly the lvl cap) with a +Atk nature, at least 30 Atk IVs, and 252 EVs. At first I thought I could make the range easier by holding Black Glasses, but then I lost a run to the Mightyena using Embargo and surviving the Sucker Punch due to the Black Glasses being disabled. Next comes two Toxicroaks with Sucker Punch. The first trainer with Toxicroak leads with a Houndoom first, so I OHKO it with Mega-Lucario's Power Up Punch to get a boost which allows me to OHKO the Toxicroak with Extreme Speed. The second Toxicroak however is more annoying because it's the lead. However just like the Croagunks in the Power Plant, I can use his moveset to my advantage to avoid taking damage. This Toxicroak has Nasty Plot, Mud Bomb, Venoshock and Sucker Punch, so this time it's a Flying and Steel type that I need, but I can't catch any at this part of the game. To make up for it I catch a Nosepass on route 10, which at level 10 only knows tackle, meaning that any ghost type can safely catch it, then train and evolve it into a Probopass, teach it Magnet Rise through the move reminder, give it some EVs so that it's faster than Toxicroak, and then with Magnet Rise and some Poké Balls, I'm able to pp stall all the Sucker Punch PPs and safely take it out with Earth Power. Then comes the Weavile, but my Aegislash outspeeds and since the trainer's AI is smart (it's an admin) she'll always go for Night Slash instead of Ice Shard.
1644935419383.png
1644935520139.png

Now that I'm almost done with priority, I have to do all the multi battles. My partner is as always my rival with his Meowstic, and my opponents are each time a combination of a grunt and an admin. The grunts are dumb and bad IVs, but the admins have good AI and IVs. In the first one, the admin has a Toxicroak with Sucker Punch, but since he's smart, he'll never use Sucker Punch on my Krook when my partner has a Meowstic that's weak to it, so I can just OHKO all 3 Pokémon with Earthquake. Then comes a Manectric and a Mightyena, which has Intimidate, but since my Krook has 25 Atk IVs, it's able to OHKO both aven at -1 at lvl 59. The last one is very tricky, because the combination of Scrafty and Houndoom is to my knowledge impossible to OHKO with a multi-target move at this point of the game. However I have another plan for this one, since my partner is weak to Houndoom's attack, and the Houndoom's trainer is smart, I can use a Pokémon that resists both of Houndooms stabs, to manipulate him into attacking Meowstic while I kill the Scrafty, and then kill the Houndoom. The best candidate for this fight is Azumarill, which learns Superpower by leveling up and can OHKO both with it, and outspeed the Houndoom with a +speed nature and some EVs. This didn't end up mattering tho, as my rival simply used fake out on the Houndoom anw. Then comes Yveltal which I have to catch, if I flee or kill it I have to fight it again until I catch it. This unfortunately forces me to use my precious Master Ball. Lysandre then gets swept by Mega-Lucario and I save the world.
1644935610656.png
1644935697726.png

The last gym:
Before reaching the last gym I have to fight Shauna, Tierno and Trevor in a row without the ability to change my lead. Tierno's lead is a Talonflame with quick attack and since he's probably dumb I have to lead Rotom. This works fine tho as it's able to OHKO Shauna's lead Delcatty, and Trevor leads with a Raichu which ones again give me a free switch into Golurk. There are a few problems tho: Shauna's Greninja and Trevor's Raichu switching out. Greninja has Water Shuriken so to prevent that I trained a faster Heliolisk with Dry Skin. For the Raichu it's a bit more tricky as I'm not actually sure whether it's going to switch out against Golurk or not, so I had to be prepared for both cases. To do that, I trained it so that it could 2HKO Raichu with heavy slam, and gave it a cherry berry in case static activates, and if it switches out, it goes either into Florges or Aerodactyl, which both die. It ended up switching into Florges and I easily won.
Then comes the gym. Inside the gym is a trainer with a Sneasel that knows Ice Shard, but since it's owned by an Ace Trainer, it's always going to prioritize Slash over Ice Shard against my Rotom-Frost, so I'm able to safely take it out with a Zap Plate boosted Thunderbolt. The real problem is Wulfric and his lead Abomasnow. At first I wanted to ban Mega-Evolutions in this challenge, but then I noticed I needed Mega-Charizard-Y to beat Wulfric 100% of the time. If I don't use it, my other option would be to use wide lens Cloyster and pray to not get the 1% miss against Abomasnow and Cryogonal (alternatively I could use HP Fire Aurorus for Abo but that would be a very long grind). Since I thought it'd be pretty dumb to have to risk it and that Mega-Evolutions are more of a time save than anything (since they don't help much against priority or multi battles, and can be replaced by other mons in the battles I used them), I decided to allow them. Thus, the fight went pretty smoothy, as Abomasnow will always use Ice beam and not Ice Shard against Zard.
1644934794355.png
1644934697857.png

The victory road:
The victory road features some annoying fights. The first one being a top trainer with a Quick Attack Raichu, against which I almost went Golurk before realizing it had Grass Knot. I was able to outspeed and OHKO it with my broken Aegislash. Then comes a Quick Attack Weavile, which I was also able to outspeed with Aegislash thanks to its terrible Sassy nature. After that, I was able to dodge all trainers until I reached my rival, who this time has an Altaria as well. In the previous fight, I was able to manipulate him into bringing Jolteon last, but because of Altaria it's not possible this time. Thankfully, I was easily able to account for that by using Rock Tomb + Wide Lens Golurk, which was able to 2HKO Altaria on the switch, and then took out Jolteon with Earthquake. Right before reaching the Pokémon League stands a row of 3 Veterans with 2 sturdy users in Gigalith and Skarm, and 2 priority users in Glaceon and Umbreon. My initial plan against the Sturdy users was to use Fling + King's Rock, which works against Skarmory but not Gigalith, as it could use Protect and waste my King's Rock. So to avoid any problems with Protect, I caught a lvl 8 Pancham on Route 8 with Mold Breaker, raise it all the way up to lvl 65 and was able to OHKO the Gigalith with a 252+ Black Belt boosted Brick Break. Glaceon didn't use Ice Shard as planned, and Umbreon died to a Sacred Sword from Aegislash. And thus I exit the victory road and prepare myself to face my last challenge before entering the hall of fame.
1644934257606.png
1644934449853.png

The Kalos League with 3 Pokémon:
The Elite Four Member have Pokémon that are individually pretty strong, but that don't work well together and have some very exploitable weaknesses, which makes it easy for me. So easy in fact, that I entered the League with only 3 mons in my team. Those 3 are Krookodile, Rotom and Cloyster. I immediately start with the battle that required the biggest amount of preparation out of all elite four member: the steel type specialist, whose name everybody forgor. His lead is a Klefki with Spikes and Torment, and I was pretty sure his AI would make him use Dazzling Gleam all the time against Krookodile. But pretty sure doesn't mean 100% sure so I came prepared. To avoid taking Spikes damage I simply didn't plan to make any switches, and to avoid being annoyed by Torment I had Protect, so that I could alternate between Protect and Earthquake. But he also has a Probopass with Sturdy, so I gave my Krookodile a King's Rock to break its Sturdy with a Fling flinch. His team is not entirely weak to ground tho, as he also has a Scizor, but it barely dies to Earthquake after a Moxie boost (100% min), and since X-Scissor is more effective against Krookodile than Bullet Punch, he'll never use the latter. With this, Krookodile was able to spam Earthquake and sweep his team.
Then came Drasna, the dragon-type specialist. Her entire team falls to Cloyster's expert belt boosted Icicle Spear, except for Noivern which died to an Ice Shard. Against Siebold, the water-type specialist, I clicked Thunderbolt 4 times with Rotom to win (seriously you could've given him a Seismitoad or something Game Freak). Last comes Malva, an ex-member of Team Flare, but she's as easy as Lysandre as Krookodile kills all of her team besides Talonflame, which I defeat with Rotom.
Last comes Diantha, who leads off with Hawlucha which I OHKO with Rotom, then brings out Tyrantrum. I was actually expecting Gourgeist since STAB Phantom Force is stronger than Crunch against Rotom (135 vs 120 BP), but either way I'm able to bring in my Krookodile, and just like I did against the steel type dude and Malva, I sweep her with Moxie. And thus I entered the hall of fame with only 3 Pokémon. I might've even been able to sweep Drasna with Krookodile as well and only use 2 Pokémon, but I wanted to be extra safe against Diantha's Goodra if she decided to bring it in against Rotom for some reason. There is actually another fight after that against AZ, which doesn't even matter since it's a friendly battle, but I decided to try to do it without taking damage as well and packed Electro Ball on my Rotom's moveset so that it could OHKO AZ's lead Torkoal and then the other two died to Krook's Crunch.
1644934114375.png
1644936739282.png
1644915309686.png

I'd like to end by mentioning all resources I used:
The Catch Rate Calculator from the Cave of the Dragonflies
The speedrunning spreadsheet containing info on all unskippable trainers in the game
I played on Citra and abused the acceleration tool a lot
Obviously Bulbapedia and the damage calc
And here's all the mons I used:
1644915233041.png

Also I streamed the entire run on Twitch so if you're interested check out my channel where I still have all the vods.

Attachments

Last edited:
Congratulations!

I think I've found a way to beat Wulfric without Mega evolution, but it's real stupid. I may have also messed up on some accessibility issues, but I've tried to make sure the options are obtainable.

Golduck can have Cloud Nine, so it won't be affected by Hail damage. OHKOing Abomasnow is the hard part, because it requires Hidden Power Fire and the Flame Plate (Charcoal is not readily accessible with a Chespin start)

0 SpA IV modest:
Lvl 59 252+ SpA Flame Plate Golduck Hidden Power Fire vs. Lvl 56 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 188-224 (105 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
10 SpA IV neutral nature:
Lvl 59 252 SpA Flame Plate Golduck Hidden Power Fire vs. Lvl 56 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 180-212 (100.5 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This doesn't beat the other mons not double-weak to fire, so we need a second mon that can mitigate Hail. Since you're using Y, Tyranitar should be accessible. It needs a speed-boosting nature and at least a 12 speed IV to reliably outspeed Cryogonal. As well, since the flame plate is being used on Golduck, it needs to have Ancient Power as an egg move from a fossil, and a hard stone needs to have been obtained from Super Training (the Stone Plate needs Waterfall).

0 Atk/SpA IV timid:
Lvl 59 0- Atk Tyranitar Brick Break vs. Lvl 55 0 HP / 0+ Def Cryogonal: 170-202 (110.3 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Lvl 59 252 SpA Hard Stone Tyranitar Ancient Power vs. Lvl 59 0 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 200-236 (103 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
22 SpA IV jolly:
Lvl 59 252- SpA Hard Stone Tyranitar Ancient Power vs. Lvl 59 0 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 194-230 (100 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Still entirely understandable to just use Zard Y instead.

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations!

I think I've found a way to beat Wulfric without Mega evolution, but it's real stupid. I may have also messed up on some accessibility issues, but I've tried to make sure the options are obtainable.

Golduck can have Cloud Nine, so it won't be affected by Hail damage. OHKOing Abomasnow is the hard part, because it requires Hidden Power Fire and the Flame Plate (Charcoal is not readily accessible with a Chespin start)

0 SpA IV modest:
Lvl 59 252+ SpA Flame Plate Golduck Hidden Power Fire vs. Lvl 56 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 188-224 (105 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
10 SpA IV neutral nature:
Lvl 59 252 SpA Flame Plate Golduck Hidden Power Fire vs. Lvl 56 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 180-212 (100.5 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This doesn't beat the other mons not double-weak to fire, so we need a second mon that can mitigate Hail. Since you're using Y, Tyranitar should be accessible. It needs a speed-boosting nature and at least a 12 speed IV to reliably outspeed Cryogonal. As well, since the flame plate is being used on Golduck, it needs to have Ancient Power as an egg move from a fossil, and a hard stone needs to have been obtained from Super Training (the Stone Plate needs Waterfall).

0 Atk/SpA IV timid:
Lvl 59 0- Atk Tyranitar Brick Break vs. Lvl 55 0 HP / 0+ Def Cryogonal: 170-202 (110.3 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Lvl 59 252 SpA Hard Stone Tyranitar Ancient Power vs. Lvl 59 0 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 200-236 (103 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
22 SpA IV jolly:
Lvl 59 252- SpA Hard Stone Tyranitar Ancient Power vs. Lvl 59 0 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 194-230 (100 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Still entirely understandable to just use Zard Y instead.
Thanks!
I didn't think about using Golduck, that's pretty smart. I've though about Tyranitar but since its catch rate is too low I'd have to risk taking a hit during the capture. However you don't even need Tyranitar, Golduck can take care of Cryogonal himself with Brick Break:
Lvl 59 52 Atk Expert Belt Golduck Brick Break vs. Lvl 55 0 HP / 0+ Def Cryogonal: 154-182 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (this is with 0 atk IVs)
Then the Avalugg can be taken down by Aurorus with Ancient Power, which I don't even need to go out of my way to train since I need it for the 2nd gym. That's a very interesting discovery I wish I knew before the run. Sweeping with Golduck would've been way cooler.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)