PokeMedley Round 1 (RBY): Voting

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello, denizens of Orange Islands! I'm here to shamelessly plug my friend's band alert to you that an old bandmate of mine is in a band, On Being Human, that is doing a series of videogame medleys. So far they have recorded and played live a Super Metroid medley and have played and are in the process of recording one for GoldenEye 64. I asked him if he could do a Pokemon one and he said sure, but having not played the games before, he left the song selection up to me, and allowed me to choose up to 6. But who am I to dictate what the best and most rockin' Pokemon songs are? I have a legion of fellow Pokemon fans in Orange Islands that, with their combined intimate knowledge of the Pokemon games, can help me sort through the hundreds of songs throughout the Pokemon videogame series and pick the best ones!

I'd like to restrict the song choices to the main cartridge series: Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver, and Black(2)/White(2). Also, I think we can all agree on this, but I definitely want the first song to be the theme from the intro screen to RBY (Nidorino vs. Gengar). It's totally rockin' and signifies the beginning of an era for most of us. The remaining five songs can come from each generation.

We'll start with Generation 1 nominations. Each person must submit up to three songs. If you are unfamiliar with this generation, you don't have to vote. Nominations will run for a week or until there are a reasonable amount of nominations. Here is what your ballot will look like:

<Song title 1>
<youtube embed>

<song title 2>
<youtube embed>

<song title 3>
<youtube embed>

At the end of the nomination round, I will make a poll so we can vote for the best song from Generation 1, then we'll start the next round. Please feel free to discuss yours and others' submissions. This is a community project, so let's work together to make the best heavy metal Pokemon opus in the world!

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll open this up to XD and Colo when the time comes since imo the music in those eclipses the ADV games. Not sure about Stadium 1/2, we'll cross that bridge in round 2.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
We're only doing RB songs at the moment, but be sure to keep those submissions in mind for when the BW thread comes around!

Anyway, personally I like the Gym Leader and the Champion's themes. The melody of champion's is practically born to be made into a guitar solo. I would have done it a long time ago but guitar is not my forte, unfortunately.

We're only doing RB songs at the moment, but be sure to keep those submissions in mind for when the BW thread comes around!

Anyway, personally I like the Gym Leader and the Champion's themes. The melody of champion's is practically born to be made into a guitar solo. I would have done it a long time ago but guitar is not my forte, unfortunately.
Thing is, it'd be really uncreative to just do battle songs. There needs to be a balance of the non-battle songs and the battle songs, not just from an onlooker standpoint, but from a musical standpoint as well. We as humans tend to get burned out after a few minutes of nothing but "BLAM BLAARRGH HEAVY GUITAR SOLO DRUM BOOOM!" and we need something softer to open ourselves up to more of that. Softer tones in a medley, when put in the right places, make those "BLAM BLAARRGH HEAVY GUITAR SOLO DRUM BOOOM!" sound a lot better than it might be without those slower, softer parts.

We pretty much already know that the Champion theme is going to be in the medley, and it seems like the Gym battle theme is a sure thing as well. We need some Route music, some of those "OH HEY, ENCOUNTER" themes to intro us to the Gym and Champion battle themes.

Does this make any sense at all? I hope I don't sound too musically nerdy.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
As one rock music nerd to another, I heartily agree. However, I think the later gens do out-of-battle music better than RB, although SilphCo HQ is an amazing song and very inderrated.

Edit: the rby cave theme (minus Cerulean) would make be good for a more calm moment.

As one rock music nerd to another, I heartily agree. However, I think the later gens do out-of-battle music better than RB, although SilphCo HQ is an amazing song and very inderrated.

Edit: the rby cave theme (minus Cerulean) would make be good for a more calm moment.
Another good one would be the Surfing theme, though it might be a bit of an awkward transition.

Ahhh it's going to be so hard to pick Gen I music, there are SO many classic tunes. I think I'll have to go with...

Team Rocket Hideout Theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiKM2f2j_o
Reason: after listening to what they did with the super Metroid, I think they'd be able to do a great atmospheric remix of this. I think it's slightly better than the Silph Co. music and since they're so similar should only really do one, so I won't be nominating Silph Co., though it's realyl good too.

Champion Theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNza29u5zMY
Reason: Simple, it's bombastic, epic sounding, and perfect for a rock style remix.

Lavender Town Theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJJ-QkZ8cM
Reason: This song is infamous. Do it right, and the world will remember On Being Human forever and ever. Also, I want to hear what a good remix of this sounds like!

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
Okay, I think we have enough nominations, so let's start the voting.
Rules: Pick only one (1) song from the following list:

• Champion Battle
  • Silph Co. Headquarters
  • Gym leader Battle
  • Wild Pokemon Encounter
  • Guide Post
  • Bike Theme
  • Gym Theme (the room)
  • Surfing Theme
  • Cave Theme
  • Team Rocket Hideout
  • Lavender Town
I'll keep voting open for a day or two then we can move onto GSC!

edit: Voting for Champion's Theme.

Wild Pokemon Encounter is my vote, why? Simple, you feel the emotion of a battle while at the same time you're feeling the emotion of a new encounter against a strange creature (just rebember de RB's sprites, the feeling was great, like you were really exploring on the nature and finding random stuff).

Other's generations Wild Pokémon Songs were also cool, but not that cool, but more like a circus-style of cool than a natural one.

lol, I am part of the TRC group and everyone in it is just voting out of loyalty. I am also part of the group HOWEVER, I have to say that Lavender town theme is the best. Why? Not because of the creepy pasta story, when I was a kid I was really weird. I used to listen to the lavender town music on my Ipod and it would help me go to sleep. I haven't killed myself so I am pretty sure that the rumors are fake. Idk why I always found L-towns music so soothing...

Sorry battle star but I can't agree with you on this one. I know you guys are gonna win anyway because you are gonna get everyone to vote, lol.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I'm going Lavender town as well, not because of creepy pasta OR finding it.. soothing... but it would just be awesome to see what the band does with it.
Oh, and it is one of the best-known songs in the whole of pokemon.

Also, will you be posting the tunes onto smogon?

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
When the medley is finished, I will send it. By the way, I can't guarantee a quick release once the songs are finished; I'm not in the band and they have a number of projects on their plate. But when it's done, you'll know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)