Pokemon 25th Anniversary Celebration!

I have learned to have no expectations, it's for the best.

Mainly because I've got used by the self induced delusion of Pokemon fans (and honestly any mainstream franchise fan nowadays) when it comes to any new potential announcement or event.
Them doing or not doing the Sinnoh remakes will fulfill the requirement alone:
  • Don't do Sinnoh Remakes: "Come on GF, when we going to go back to Sinnoh? Gigantamax Sinnoh Starters and Spacetime Trio + Arceus would be shweet!"
  • Does do Sinnoh Remakes: "NO, wait for next gen, I don't want Dynamax s*** in my Sinnohs!"
To be fair we both know that (assuming anything gets revealed), people will complain for the sake of it. I really like your analogy. :bloblul:

Oh expecting that is cheating. It's like the middle space on a bingo card. Them doing or not doing the Sinnoh remakes will fulfill the requirement alone:
  • Don't do Sinnoh Remakes: "Come on GF, when we going to go back to Sinnoh? Gigantamax Sinnoh Starters and Spacetime Trio + Arceus would be shweet!"
  • Does do Sinnoh Remakes: "NO, wait for next gen, I don't want Dynamax s*** in my Sinnohs!"
you fool, you imbecile, you complete buffoon

i have an entire complaint bingo board for the scenario of DP remakes alone

Well, 14 days for Pokemon Day. Are you excited? Afraid?
I'm a little excited. I hope there will be an announcement for a new game (or for more S/S DLC), that's something I'm looking forward to because those have usually been pretty fun and exciting to watch in the past. Having a new upcoming game (or DLC) to speculate and complain about will also make the fandom a bit more active. However, I don't really care much for what they announce, because my interest in Pokémon is pretty low at the moment. Weird as it is, I am more interested in the announcement of something, not so much in the potential thing itself. If it is a game (or DLC) I am interested in, then cool. If not, then there's nothing that's forcing me to get it, I can just skip it like I skipped LGP/E a few years ago. If there are no new game announcements, I hope they will at least do something special for the Anniversary. And as R_N and Pika said, no matter what happens, the fandom will complain about it. That's one thing that will never change.

As for some other things that have been mentioned for the anniversary here in the thread, I find the whole McDonalds situation pretty tragic. Adults taking things that were meant for children just feels wrong to me. Regarding the Post Malone concert, he is an artist I have never heard about before, and I don't think I have listened to any of his music either. If I have, then I did not know he was the artist. I have to say that I am a little interested in listening to some of his music now though. I'll probably not watch the concert, but I still think it is pretty cool.

Adults taking things that were meant for children just feels wrong to me.
You know, this scenario of Pokemon reminds me of an old meme that was made for My Little Pony, where basically most of its fandom was actually adults and degenerate weebs like me, while the targetted playerbase actually couldn't care less.
Pokemon isn't too far off honestly, the most active/vocal fanbase of both TCG and VGC is adults that were grown with it and played it for ages. The actual kids love them but not to the point of going the extreme lenght that adults and competitive players do.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You know, this scenario of Pokemon reminds me of an old meme that was made for My Little Pony, where basically most of its fandom was actually adults and degenerate weebs like me, while the targetted playerbase actually couldn't care less.
Pokemon isn't too far off honestly, the most active/vocal fanbase of both TCG and VGC is adults that were grown with it and played it for ages. The actual kids love them but not to the point of going the extreme lenght that adults and competitive players do.
Similar but also a few key differences. With My Little Pony it was more that the show had really good writing and, while I don't think it went into any "deep" subjects (at least without putting a heavy coat over it that only adults would figure out what the actual theme was), it did fully explore the themes they did cover putting some deeper thought into the subjects most other kid's show wouldn't have.

As for Pokemon, it doesn't really have that (not that GF don't try, they just aren't that good of writers), but Pokemon's adult fanbase comes from the fact the franchise is old enough to legally drive, drink, and smoke (and can buy alcohol and cigarettes without showing ID). The adult fans were kids when Pokemon first came out, heck many of the celebrities performing for the 25th anniversary were kids/teens when Pokemon was released and have personal memories to the franchise. Do I even need to mention that the anime has been running for this entire time without taking any major breaks after its first season (I joke that there are show creators who would kill just to have their show run half as long as Pokemon has, maybe even less)?

MLP became widely known due to the Bronies REALLY pushing the franchise into conversations even when it wasn't quite appropriate. I always wondered if maybe Bronies were a bit jealous of franchises like Pokemon, MLP was the better written show yet I don't recall it being a cash cow (I have similar thoughts on fans of the Undertale series, another franchise (but this time a game) with great writing that explored deep themes yet wasn't quite the cash cow or widely popular as Pokemon). This isn't a negative on those franchises, if you like something of course you want it to be more widely known and profitable and that means looking at those on top to see what they're doing which makes them so special. Just an observation and more a commentary on Pokemon being a bit of a bizarre franchise where the strength has never been on its stories but rather on the worldbuilding (and while it's not the only franchise that does that, it's really the only franchise to become super profitable off it).

Similar but also a few key differences. With My Little Pony it was more that the show had really good writing and, while I don't think it went into any "deep" subjects (at least without putting a heavy coat over it that only adults would figure out what the actual theme was), it did fully explore the themes they did cover putting some deeper thought into the subjects most other kid's show wouldn't have.

As for Pokemon, it doesn't really have that (not that GF don't try, they just aren't that good of writers), but Pokemon's adult fanbase comes from the fact the franchise is old enough to legally drive, drink, and smoke (and can buy alcohol and cigarettes without showing ID). The adult fans were kids when Pokemon first came out, heck many of the celebrities performing for the 25th anniversary were kids/teens when Pokemon was released and have personal memories to the franchise. Do I even need to mention that the anime has been running for this entire time without taking any major breaks after its first season (I joke that there are show creators who would kill just to have their show run half as long as Pokemon has, maybe even less)?

MLP became widely known due to the Bronies REALLY pushing the franchise into conversations even when it wasn't quite appropriate. I always wondered if maybe Bronies were a bit jealous of franchises like Pokemon, MLP was the better written show yet I don't recall it being a cash cow (I have similar thoughts on fans of the Undertale series, another franchise (but this time a game) with great writing that explored deep themes yet wasn't quite the cash cow or widely popular as Pokemon). This isn't a negative on those franchises, if you like something of course you want it to be more widely known and profitable and that means looking at those on top to see what they're doing which makes them so special. Just an observation and more a commentary on Pokemon being a bit of a bizarre franchise where the strength has never been on its stories but rather on the worldbuilding (and while it's not the only franchise that does that, it's really the only franchise to become super profitable off it).
MLP is an older franchise than Pokemon, it was always there as a toyline but with the Friendship is Magic series to promote the G4 line it got an overwhelming reception aside from the intended audience. Fandom aside, this is also thanks to the direction. Lauren Faust is well known for not falling into the usual 'girly tropes', best example is Powerpuff Girls. Even when she left after one season, the staff now were fully aware of their audience and it shows on later episodes with the writing and references (while still being an educational show with magical ponies). JUST LOOK AT THIS, HOLY S***!
9e5dd5d430c81314dbee0786a56f05fa.gif

Not everything is perfect, of course. Certain episodes with questionable choices aside, one of the problems of the series is something that's also shares with Pokemon: their marketing nature. Sometimes stuff gets introduced on a whim just because they need to sell merchandise, one example is the introduction of Twlight's brother and babysitter who were very close to her...despite Twlight never bringing up these important figures ever before and having a friendless background. Why? The pair is getting married and there's an upcoming toyset of that. The Pokemon anime has several of these instances too: Todd appearances to promote Pokemon Snap, Lyra having some filler episodes in Sinnoh to promote HGSS, Eevee's heavily hyped debut in Alola to promote Let's Go (and doing nothing after that...), etc. Not like marketing is a bad thing, but imo the Pokemon anime barely bother to even hide its marketing purposes, and that takes out a big part of the inmersion for me.

Another aspect of comparison between the two is the reluctance of the fandom of letting go. In a contrast from Pokemon, G4 is the most known generation of MLP but it's over now and the next one is coming soon, of course, vocal fans are in denial that the series is over and want to continue with more of the same. Kinda like how many fans of Pokemon want to mantain the status quo: don't change the Gym Leaders, rival must be a jerk, Ash must always be the anime's main hero, etc.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
https://pokemonday.pokemon.co.jp/

Looks like Japan is having their own live Pokemon popularity poll!
So to participate all you have to do is send a tweet...

So, let's see how the early voting is going (not going to post all top 30, just the notable ones):

1. Dedenne
2. Buzzwole

So, I know during these polling events there's a slew of Japanese fans who likes to mess with the polls, is this the case here?

3. Magnemite

Hey, I know this one! Good to see the coilers are still coiling strong.

7. Cinccino
8. Barbaracle

Really? Like, is this another mass poll voting? Feels like strange picks, like I get Dedenne and Buzzwole but these two? Not that they're bad, I used a Skill Link Cinccino is my BW2 and it was fun. Barbaracle is alright on paper, I think it makes for a decent Shell Smash user with its decent defense, high Attack, and Tough Claws.

13. Vulpix

Oh, wow, so if you vote for a Pokemon with regional forms it counts as for the species as a whole? I feel that'll bolster some Pokemon up.

There's probably a few other questionable ones like Sableye, Spheal, Whismur, and Sliggoo but they're at the bottom of the list so as more bots people vote they'll be pushed out.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm still astonished nothing was really done with the last one. Like there wasn't even a little batch of merchandise or anything.
I believe that really showcase GF and TPC's own bias by neglecting the Pokémon of the Years and popularity polls like that so lately. They took advantage of Rayquaza and Greninja a very few times ago, and yet they don't do anything about the unorthodox winners of Japan.

7 days, and gen 7 starters + region.
Why do i smell a countdown which will also feature the various regions?
not like they havent already done this 5 times by now

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well, might as well keep going since we started:

Also some more product announcements via their Twitter (don't bother putting them on the main 25th Anniversary site...):
Levi's has some special clothing including a full Original Series Misty ensemble.

"Oh, that's neat, who else did they do?"

Only Original Series Misty. They don't even just have pieces of clothing based on the other characters (aside from a cap which looks like Original Series Ash's hat but has the Levi's logo). All the other clothes are just basic clothes with Pokemon (and Pokemon characters) stock art printed on them.

While I don't think technically a partner, The Toy Association just announced the Pokemon TCG Battle Academy board game as "Game of the Year".

"If they're not a partner why include them then?"

Because I think Pokemon Company greased some palms for them to give this award. The Pokemon TCG Battle Academy is essentially just a TCG starter kit that comes with a playmat board, 3 premade decks (each with a promo card of the featured Pokemon of the deck: Pikachu, Charizard, & Mewtwo), a coin, and counters:

"Well, maybe this year due to the pandemic there just wasn't a lot of board games released"

So, I just typed in "Board games of 2020" and got the following lists:
Yeah, while some do share a few board games, each list has board games they only mention... and none of them include the Pokemon TCG Battle Academy.

And finally, Pokemon Company made the mistake of revealing their Giphy account and all the Pokemon GIFs they have made (aka all the GIFs you've seen on their twitter and then some). Why is it a mistake?... Well, honestly, I'm just assuming at this point whenever Pokemon Company does something on a whim and throwing caution in the wind it's going to end up coming to bite them in the butt.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"Introducing: Pokémon Let's Go Munchlax! and Pokémon Let's Go Male Combee!"

Jokes aside, it wouldn't make much sense to jump straight at Sinnoh for the Let's Go series, would it?
...Would it?
I mean, sure, they're technically remakes and Johto/Hoenn already got those while Sinnoh didn't, but surely they count separately, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)