pokemon attacks you didn't know existed until you went on serebii for one thing but found them instead

Beak Blast

Battle Effect:
The user first heats up its beak, and then it attacks the target. Making direct contact with the Pokémon while it's heating up its beak results in a burn.
Secondary Effect:
Effect Rate:​
Moves first in turn to charge, and last in the same turn to Attack. If opponent makes physical contact between this, the opponent is Burned

https://www.serebii.net/attackdex-swsh/beakblast.shtml

fun fact: This is actually one of the few moves that's not normally supposed to be seen in Pokemon Sword and Shield yet doesn't have the generic message of "This move can't be used. It's recommended that this move is forgotten. Once forgotten, this move can't be remembered."

I completely forgot Synchronoise was a thing til now, but yeah, it wa super common back in Unova.

Not nearly as obscure, but I completely forgot Clamp was a thing til I was playing a Fire Red Nuzlocke recently and tried to raise up two Shellder across two playthroughs, and realized they both died before they could learn Clamp. Made me sad. Though, I think it was fairly common in the anime at least.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
All im getting from this thread is that NONE OF YALL played the GOAT METAGAME OF ALL TIME and yes that’s GEN7 ZU BAAAAAAAAAABYYYYY!!

That’s fucking right our mons sucked so much we used the dumbest moves in the game yessir yessir listen hear now ya hurd of golduck? Shit FUCKS with Synchronoise. Mareanie? Aint shit. Aint shit whatsover get that specially defensive Water-type out of Golduck’s face shit can’t stand me 100 degrees no roof on the motherfucker.

And Beak Blast? On thee Touccannon? That’s nothing. Simple. Touccannon is out here getting BURNS on a mf. Fr fr. Oh what you thought you could just Knock Off my Touccanon for free? Yeah you thought. That’s right, think again. Moronic.

I bet no one has even glanced at Purify. Pykumuku? The gen7zu stall goat itself? Curing poisons and healing your opponents cause fuck it you’re unaware? Indeed. My level your level aint shit no grave down bad GN

Sincerly,

Ho3nConfirm3d
PO#1098636462

Theia

You love me for everything you hate me for
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Hold Hands. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hold_Hands_(move)

Usually when something on PS! says it has no competitive use, usually it has some kind of other use, like Run Away. This is literally just a move that displays an animation in a double or triple battle. Its only use is as an omniboost Z-move, I guess.

This is also an event only move. Three Pokemon get this move. Charizard (three events), Pikachu (five events), and Fancy-pattern Vivillon (one event). And all of these events are, to my knowledge, Gen 6 events. So they introduced this move, gave it to three Pokemon , and promptly forgot about it.

And the worst part is that this is actually a move that's still included in Gen 8. They couldn't keep Pursuit, they couldn't keep Hidden Power, they couldn't keep Return, but they could keep Hold Hands.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hold_Back_(move)

Legit had no idea there was a false swipe clone since I haven't played Gen VI+ on cart.
I remember downloading the Celebi back when Pokemon Bank first launched and being really disappointed to learn that the shiny new move was fucking awful.

At least I could use it for catching legendaries... if I'd been arsed to level it up to 100 without forgetting Hold Back instead of just using a random False Swipe 'mon like a normal person.

a lot of the new signature moves go under my radar because of how superfluous they are. idk why game freak felt the need to give nearly every mon, no matter how insignificant, a signature something.

Toxic Thread
there was an attempt to buff ariados. also lol @ how the move is still in swsh's data when ariados isnt even available

Purify
cool name, but hilariously bad, especially since if you're using pyukumuku you want the foe to have a status condition (namely poison) cause it can't damage the foe directly

Electrify
another cool name, but not really useful, esp since the only mons that can learn it dont have an immunity to electric

Snap Trap
why this is grass-type and not steel-type given that galarian stunfisk, a steel-type, is the only mon that gets it is beyond me. i feel like this will be de-signaturized at some point similar to pollen puff cause it completes the starter-type trinity for trapping moves (Fire Spin, Whirlpool, and now Snap Trap)

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
All im getting from this thread is that NONE OF YALL played the GOAT METAGAME OF ALL TIME and yes that’s GEN7 ZU BAAAAAAAAAABYYYYY!!

That’s fucking right our mons sucked so much we used the dumbest moves in the game yessir yessir listen hear now ya hurd of golduck? Shit FUCKS with Synchronoise. Mareanie? Aint shit. Aint shit whatsover get that specially defensive Water-type out of Golduck’s face shit can’t stand me 100 degrees no roof on the motherfucker.

And Beak Blast? On thee Touccannon? That’s nothing. Simple. Touccannon is out here getting BURNS on a mf. Fr fr. Oh what you thought you could just Knock Off my Touccanon for free? Yeah you thought. That’s right, think again. Moronic.

I bet no one has even glanced at Purify. Pykumuku? The gen7zu stall goat itself? Curing poisons and healing your opponents cause fuck it you’re unaware? Indeed. My level your level aint shit no grave down bad GN

Sincerly,

Ho3nConfirm3d
PO#1098636462
I remember this because I was there and a productive member for a bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)